Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
not including heated seats is a war crime in a zippy car. life's best living is done in november with the windows (and in my case, top) down when you've got the seat heaters and hvac heater cranked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i'll give points for the simplicity of the solution, i suppose. but come on, they could've tried to at least hide the fact that it's glued on. unless that's the aesthetics they were going for in which case ooof

really though, cars should just have a bunch of knobs everywhere and let me rebind them to whatever i want. hell, expand that to all controls. pc games had that stuff figured out decades ago

I think the same thing when it comes to digital gauges. It would be so cool if you could upload essentially Winamp skins to your dashboard and display whatever you want, it’s all coming from the ecu these days so who cares. I can’t even turn off the digital speedometer even though I have an analog speedometer 2 inches away

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 29, 2023

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

not including heated seats is a war crime in a zippy car. life's best living is done in november with the windows (and in my case, top) down when you've got the seat heaters and hvac heater cranked.

I don’t usually use heated seats since when it’s cold in Seattle it’s also raining, so windows are up but yeah if it were cold and dry that would be nice

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

really though, cars should just have a bunch of knobs everywhere and let me rebind them to whatever i want. hell, expand that to all controls. pc games had that stuff figured out decades ago

car UIs should be MIDI spec. if i want to hook up a fader box to adjust things, let me cook

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ADINSX posted:

I don’t usually use heated seats since when it’s cold in Seattle it’s also raining, so windows are up but yeah if it were cold and dry that would be nice

Understandable and yeah i'm pretty blessed in that we get a bunch of cold+dry here. i remember several january nights this year where it was like 29f and i had the top down wearing a hoodie and brapping around, and i was snug as a bug in a rug

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

i'll give points for the simplicity of the solution, i suppose. but come on, they could've tried to at least hide the fact that it's glued on. unless that's the aesthetics they were going for in which case ooof

I’d guess this was a last minute “oh drat this touchscreen only thing sucks” hack. Props to whoever was able to argue this one into final production.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

car UIs should be MIDI spec. if i want to hook up a fader box to adjust things, let me cook

approved

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
November is the absolute worst month, foh with that poo poo

- balls deep in non-DST
- days are already short and will keep getting shorter for another 1-2 months
- don't even have the winter solstice around the corner to look forward to
- christmas boomercore already blasting out the speakers in big stores

February would maybe be worse but it's a runt month and we don't have to tolerate it for as long.

there's a reason why turning the corner on the shortest day is such a huge celebration in pmuch every culture

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its regional. here in CO it's when it gets cold but it hasn't started dumping snow yet so the roads are clear. just cold crisp air in your lungs and super bright twinkly stars

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

personally i love 6pm nights

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

aww yisss car chat. im consistently amazed how tiny my '19 GTI feels compared to other cars

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

skimothy milkerson posted:

how tiny my '19 GTI feels compared to other cars

when im on the road and at a stoplight next to a modern suv/truck, at best i can see their rear view mirror and no more. i gotta drive it like i ride a motorcycle

I have this recurring intrusive thought to try to drive under the railroad guard rails whenever a light rail passes by, just as a prank. i think i could clear them

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ADINSX posted:

I think the same thing when it comes to digital gauges. It would be so cool if you could upload essentially Winamp skins to your dashboard and display whatever you want, it’s all coming from the ecu these days so who cares. I can’t even turn off the digital speedometer even though I have an analog speedometer 2 inches away

you’ll buy overpriced McDonald’s branded media tie-in themes and you’ll like it

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

quiggy posted:

one of the cars i test-drove over the weekend had PRNDB on the stick, still trying to figure out what B is

you know i keep that thang in 🅱️rive

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Jonny 290 posted:

I have this recurring intrusive thought to try to drive under the railroad guard rails whenever a light rail passes by, just as a prank. i think i could clear them

same but semi truck trailers like in the fast and the furious

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol yuuuup

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i generally 1-2-4 mine now when bopping around town

jony granny shifting not double clutching like he should

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

you’ll buy overpriced McDonald’s branded media tie-in themes and you’ll like it

We can’t even do that it seems. If Honda offered some “race inspired” setting that just changed the position of information on the digital screen I’d pay maybe 100 dollars for it, it’s that bad the way it is stock

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the funniest loving thing in modern cars is a new thing too:

after years of supporting carplay and android auto, gm has decided that what people want is their own homegrown system, and they will no longer support carplay and android auto on their new cars.

the first vehicle to do this is the brand new escalade.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sapozhnik posted:

November is the absolute worst month, foh with that poo poo

- balls deep in non-DST
- days are already short and will keep getting shorter for another 1-2 months
- don't even have the winter solstice around the corner to look forward to
- christmas boomercore already blasting out the speakers in big stores

February would maybe be worse but it's a runt month and we don't have to tolerate it for as long.

there's a reason why turning the corner on the shortest day is such a huge celebration in pmuch every culture

lol i started reading this and was like NO NO ITS FEBRU oh

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

the funniest loving thing in modern cars is a new thing too:

after years of supporting carplay and android auto, gm has decided that what people want is their own homegrown system, and they will no longer support carplay and android auto on their new cars.

the first vehicle to do this is the brand new escalade.
It's probably just that carplay/android auto make it harder to charge people for dumb extra features like cellular data for the car. If you get rid of them, suddenly you'll probably need to buy a $100/month subscription and people buying escalades are dumb/price insensitive enough to be the perfect test

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 29, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Actually I'm not convinced that the idea that it won't support carplay/android auto isn't some sort of misunderstanding

They're switching to Android Automotive aka Google Built In which I think is still supposed to support carplay and should probably behave similar to android auto with android phones

GM said "As a result of this strategic approach, we will be moving beyond phone projection systems, namely Apple CarPlay and Android Auto" and sites like the verge seem to have decided that this means they will be intentionally blocking the carplay functionality in Google Built In but this seems like it could be reading too much into the wording if GM hasn't separately confirmed that?

It seems like the press release was effectively just saying "we will be moving beyond phone projection to Android Automotive which has android apps built in" but that doesn't in itself imply that they will be "restricting access to phone-mirroring features" in android automotive as the verge has decided

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

did someone say car

https://twitter.com/Scobleizer/status/1695960079055659260?s=20

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mystes posted:

Actually I'm not convinced that the idea that it won't support carplay/android auto isn't some sort of misunderstanding

They're switching to Android Automotive aka Google Built In which I think is still supposed to support carplay and should probably behave similar to android auto with android phones

GM said "As a result of this strategic approach, we will be moving beyond phone projection systems, namely Apple CarPlay and Android Auto" and sites like the verge seem to have decided that this means they will be intentionally blocking the carplay functionality in Google Built In but this seems like it could be reading too much into the wording if GM hasn't separately confirmed that?

It seems like the press release was effectively just saying "we will be moving beyond phone projection to Android Automotive which has android apps built in" but that doesn't in itself imply that they will be "restricting access to phone-mirroring features" in android automotive as the verge has decided

quote:

There will be no Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in Cadillac’s new ultra-luxury Escalade IQ. Despite the huge new 55-inch pillar-to-pillar infotainment screen in the new EV revealed yesterday, compatibility for the popular phone projection features is completely gone.

GM said earlier this year that it would restrict access to CarPlay and Android Auto in its future electric vehicles. In April, GM’s VP of software, Scott Miller, shared some reasons for the decision, including allowing more EV-centric functionality like battery preconditioning when navigating to a charging station.

Tesla offers a similar feature and also does not have CarPlay or Android Auto options. But customers nowadays expect these features in new vehicles. Even Apple has said that nearly 80 percent of new car buyers insist on having CarPlay. It’s an unusual omission from a modern, let alone high-end, car.

The Verge received email confirmation that CarPlay and Android Auto weren’t going to make it into the Escalade IQ from GM’s East Coast communications representative, Paige Tatulli. Instead of CarPlay or Android Auto, drivers will instead rely on the Escalade IQ’s included Google built-in infotainment software.

Google built-in supports Google Maps navigation and some Google Play apps that you can log in to on the dash. Some confirmed entertainment apps in the IQ include YouTube, YouTube Kids, and Hulu, but Google built-in could enable more apps like Waze and even Zoom.

hes going to post a picture of him naked in the car next or something, that shower tweet wearing google glass is permanently scarred into my brain

mystes
May 31, 2006

That's the exact Verge article which seems to have originated this claim and which I'm saying seems like it might be confused

For comparison, Ars Technica says this:

quote:

Let's get the usual disclaimer out of the way: This article is not about Android Auto, Google's tethered phone app and competitor to Apple's CarPlay. Android Automotive, fully spelled out (it's sometimes branded as "Google Built-In"), means the car is one big Android device. A computer runs the car's infotainment system, and that computer runs Android. Even if you have an iPhone in your pocket, that won't change the OS your car runs (it does support CarPlay, though). For most models, buying General Motors will mean buying an Android Car. You'll see an on-screen message pop up during setup saying, "By using this car, you agree to Google's terms of service."

It's possible that carplay support is optional and GM is choosing not to enable that, but everything GM has said sounds like they are just explaining that they are switching to Android Automotive, so it's not clear to me whether language about moving away from phone mirroring was actually intended to mean that carplay won't be supported so much as that they are now using the shiny new android automotive software which also has its own built in apps

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 29, 2023

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/saudi-arabia-death-sentence-for-criticizing-government-social-media/

mister bone saw is gonna behead some Saudi twitter guy with no followers for his anti-government posts I wonder how they found him

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mystes posted:

That's the exact Verge article which seems to have originated this claim and which I'm saying seems like it might be confused

i'm happy to mea culpa if i'm wrong but i don't think so, given that the verge explicitly seems to have asked about this via email. they very conspicuously do not mention carplay or the android equivalent on the landing page for the new car despite them being listed in support for all the gas-powered cars.

every media outlet talking about the car, including all the actual car blogs (new and old skool) has it wrong if it's compatible; feels like GM would have said something at some point

it's all marketing, anyway, they could change it whenever they wanted

e: that verge article definitely didn't originate the claim, this has been news of some sort for months

mystes
May 31, 2006

mediaphage posted:

i'm happy to mea culpa if i'm wrong but i don't think so, given that the verge explicitly seems to have asked about this via email. they very conspicuously do not mention carplay or the android equivalent on the landing page for the new car despite them being listed in support for all the gas-powered cars.

every media outlet talking about the car, including all the actual car blogs (new and old skool) has it wrong if it's compatible; feels like GM would have said something at some point

it's all marketing, anyway, they could change it whenever they wanted

e: that verge article definitely didn't originate the claim, this has been news of some sort for months
To prevent android auto functionality from working in android automotive, they would apparently literally have to block an app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.embedded.projection

That's why I'm a little skeptical that this is what GM is doing unless there's explicit confirmation

It seems very likely to me that neither the Verge or GM's PR people understand the difference between android auto and android automotive very well, so the verge is asking "are you removing android auto?" and GM is like "yeah we're switching to android automotive" and then the Verge is like "oh my god they're blocking phone mirroring". I don't really expect car blogs to get this right either.

Don't get me wrong, maybe they are actually blocking that functionality, but just from some of the language being used I feel like there's a 50% chance this is just a miscommunication

Maybe carplay support is optional in android automotive so it really won't have that; I don't know

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 29, 2023

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
They absolutely are blocking it. Even if you don’t believe the Verge for some reason, surely they would have corrected the error when reported in the Detroit press:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2023/04/14/gm-apple-carplay-android-auto-ford/70100598007/

or responded when Ford started making fun of them for it:

https://www.wsj.com/video/ford-ceo-on-apple-google-and-elon-musk/B6D8BC45-1C4A-45D3-97AC-933A57B76E31.html posted:

Seventy percent of our Ford customers in the U.S. are Apple customers. Why would I go to an Apple customer and say ‘good luck!’

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

anyone feel like forwarding that over to some sort of child protective services

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jonny 290 posted:

lmfao visualizing a loving full size ford pickup on european roads and laughing

the yokels in Valais like to think of themselves as the Wild West of Switzerland and you do get a few trucks. you can even get a Ram here which is an absolutely terrible idea.

I was in the val d'herens climbing last year and I poo poo you not they're all driving around with confederate flags on the back of their trucks. charitably I suspect they don't know the actual meaning of the flag

also in Valais:

e:however also in Valais:

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 29, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I was in the val d'herens climbing last year and I poo poo you not they're all driving around with confederate flags on the back of their trucks. charitably I suspect they don't know the actual meaning of the flag

no i rather suspect that they do:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

switzerland has all those unimogs tho, why would you go to the hassle of importing an f150 when u could get a unimog instead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

french people go bananas for cowboys (coo-bois as they pronounce it)

they all love cowboy boots and levi's jeans and smoke marlboros and poo poo

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
hon hon hon pardner

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mystes posted:

To prevent android auto functionality from working in android automotive, they would apparently literally have to block an app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.embedded.projection

That's why I'm a little skeptical that this is what GM is doing unless there's explicit confirmation

It seems very likely to me that neither the Verge or GM's PR people understand the difference between android auto and android automotive very well, so the verge is asking "are you removing android auto?" and GM is like "yeah we're switching to android automotive" and then the Verge is like "oh my god they're blocking phone mirroring". I don't really expect car blogs to get this right either.

Don't get me wrong, maybe they are actually blocking that functionality, but just from some of the language being used I feel like there's a 50% chance this is just a miscommunication

Maybe carplay support is optional in android automotive so it really won't have that; I don't know

i don’t know why you’re so stuck on using the verge article because literally dozens of news outlets have been talking about gm taking this step with their future electric cars for months

Stutes posted:

They absolutely are blocking it. Even if you don’t believe the Verge for some reason, surely they would have corrected the error when reported in the Detroit press:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2023/04/14/gm-apple-carplay-android-auto-ford/70100598007/

or responded when Ford started making fun of them for it:

bingo

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

the yokels in Valais like to think of themselves as the Wild West of Switzerland and you do get a few trucks. you can even get a Ram here which is an absolutely terrible idea.

also in Valais:

e:however also in Valais:

i can't wait till these massive piles of poo poo are banned from all our major cities. they're already paying out their rear end in insurance and taxes but it seems not to be enough

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

french people go bananas for cowboys (coo-bois as they pronounce it)

they all love cowboy boots and levi's jeans and smoke marlboros and poo poo

i saw some french guys in strasbourg all gussied up in westernwear, cowboy hats and the shirts with mother-of-pearl buttons and big ol belt buckles of course

gotta say, they did their homework, stuff was done right

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The GM point of "we have android in the car, no need for android auto" fails since polestar/volvo have also android automotive AND projection without going bust. It's a money grab pure and simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i like polestar, but i'm not gonna lie: it makes me nervous that they're manufactured in china