Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

"Don't ask what we did to prisoners or the Island's native population."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Toxic Masculinity Is A Prison. Also Which One Of You Fucks Displeased The Local Animal Gods.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/30 - 5/2/51

Bunch of literary references in this one:

"Ode on a Grecian Urn."
"You may fire when ready, Gridley."
A Child's Garden of Verses.

Snappy Answers to Archie Questions 1/8-10/48

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kid Fenris posted:

"Don't ask what we did to prisoners or the Island's native population."

i dont think its supposed to be the IJA

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Compu-toon rear end joke

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Selachian posted:

Snappy Answers to Archie Questions 1/8-10/48

A distant Jughead relative

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i dont think its supposed to be the IJA

I agree that it's pretty clearly meant to be "the Japanese army in WWII", right down to their uniforms and fighting a losing war over jungle islands, just as Haraiso itself is nominally in an unnamed country that (when it comes up) doesn't know what a "Japan" is, but is at the same time very clearly mid- to late-20th-century Japan with SF trappings.

Soapbox: Frankly, the way this is handled is a problem you often see with Japanese stories about the war in popular media – it was a terrible thing, unwinnable from the start, done by the politicians, but it’s just a thing that happens to ordinary people, it’s like a force of nature and they’re helpless victims of it. (Note that, as the other poster alluded to, the soldiers here don’t really do anything.) That framing is true in some sense, as Japan was quite un-democratic to begin with and then was soft-couped by a very hawkish military faction, but it’s a very common way the war is talked about in media here that just happens to completely clear the common person of any responsibility whatsoever for what happened. Taken on its own the story is fine, it's not about "soldiers fighting in a war" so much as it's about "soldiers enduring harsh conditions", but it's definitely part of a larger pattern in Japanese media.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 17: Hell on Wheels Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

When this story started, did you imagine, even for a second, that this is where it would end, with collusion between a robot and a battling priest? No. No you did not and that is why you keep coming back despite the fact that webcomics on web sites are old hat.

I was thinking about how this would work out in the long run. Would Gareth need oil changes and replacement parts over time? Would that effect him? I'm guessing as long as his computer core/brain is left alone he should be fine.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

The_Other posted:

Steeple 17: Hell on Wheels Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

I was thinking about how this would work out in the long run. Would Gareth need oil changes and replacement parts over time? Would that effect him? I'm guessing as long as his computer core/brain is left alone he should be fine.

I remember in a very horrible (not horrible like funky but horrible as in oh dear God why why) comic about the Functionism Age of Transformers, if a bot kept pissing off the Council by doing things not their function (IE if your alt mode was a truck and you didnt want to deliver poo poo but wanted to be a scientist) at some point the bot would have a transformation lock strapped on so they were forced to stay as a truck or jet or lamppost forever.

So I imagine there would be a much lighter form where a bot might just decide gently caress it, I'mma be a truck for a few decades and chill.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I am really glad nobody's posting doc rat, I gotta say

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
As promised, the rest of the morning.

Thimble Theater (April 1, 1940)

Out Our Way, featuring mother-daughter collusion. (August 31-September 2, 1942)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

hexwren posted:

I am really glad nobody's posting doc rat, I gotta say
[sighs] alright, I would like elaboration on why, just gently caress me up.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "230 - Jucika As A Stewardess"

"231 - Jucika Renovates"

One of the best Jucikas. :allears:

Did you miss posting #224 & 225?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yes.

Jucika "224 - Jucika Likes Privacy"

"225 - Jucika As A Tour Guide"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Selachian posted:

But then, who's surprised that Batiuk would mount the most milquetoast protest possible against book banning?

That reminds me, did we run out of The Timid Soul, or did the guy posting it vanish?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The_Other posted:

The Car of Gareth.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

If Truck's not careful Mud's gonna steal away Wanda.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Me, reading this Phantom story arc:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 25, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Look, "having tattoos" is not something you can really do as "Tell don't show" in a visual medium.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

He's just making fun of us now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zereth posted:

Look, "having tattoos" is not something you can really do as "Tell don't show" in a visual medium.

It's the thing that annoys me most about any of his comics. "This character is covered in tattoos and piercings," he says, making absolutely no effort to draw them, ever, even when they are directly relevant. "Can't be done," he says, "they're too small to show up." Apparently he's never read Zits or Dustin, because both of those comics seem to manage to depict characters with tattoos and piercings.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

I listened to that Seanbaby podcast on Compu-toon over the weekend. It's really interesting to hear some people who've written comedy professionally try to analyze what Boyce was going for, how his process of writing a joke might work. Sometimes it's like he starts with a very well trod joke scenario (the shipwrecked dudes on a desert island, for instance) and then just crams a vague computer-related reference into it. Other times it's word association, where any other writer might go "wait, that doesn't make sense," but Boyce just pushes forward.

They also point out how much of Boyce's strips are recycled art with parts of it erased. I feel like you can tell particularly well with this one, most of the background looks like he took a digital eraser to it. I bet that he doesn't have template files where he stores frequently used backgrounds or characters - whenever he wants to do one of these jokes where apps for some reason get sold in a brick-and-mortar store, he just takes the last comic he did about it, rubs out half of it, and types new text over it. And next time, he'll grab this comic...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i love computoon. each one is fascinating, like true art should be.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

davidspackage posted:

They also point out how much of Boyce's strips are recycled art with parts of it erased. I feel like you can tell particularly well with this one, most of the background looks like he took a digital eraser to it. I bet that he doesn't have template files where he stores frequently used backgrounds or characters - whenever he wants to do one of these jokes where apps for some reason get sold in a brick-and-mortar store, he just takes the last comic he did about it, rubs out half of it, and types new text over it. And next time, he'll grab this comic...

Somebody a bit earlier posted a screenshot of his process. Come for the glimpse behind the scenes, stay because you're frozen with horror at his desktop.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 28, 1958)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm here for Sarvana to fire a grenade launcher at fate, Mozz.

Mark Trail has reached the point where the author resents having to tell a story in the first place. :haw:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

"Here's the gold star tattoo I gave myself for working with you." God, can she sound more condescending?

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Either the colorist gave up in the last panel, or everyone got some fatal illness from transforming into mermaids.

Doomykins posted:

I'm here for Sarvana to fire a grenade launcher at fate, Mozz.

Mark Trail has reached the point where the author resents having to tell a story in the first place. :haw:

Can't we give the Phantom mantle to Savarna? She'll probably do a better job.

And yeah, lol, this NuTrail story ends out of loving nowhere. Just an absolute mess from start to end. It's really telling how NuMark is so ineffectual that we never see him be the one to actually shut down anyone's plans. The villains either defeat themselves or someone else has the critical thing needed to beat them.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/28/03

Brenda Starr 8/6-8/51

Smokey Stover 7/8/56

Everyday Movies 9/22/36

"That's what makes depression, cuttin' prices."

A shoeshine would have cost 10 or 15 cents in the 30s, so getting one for only a nickel would be quite a bargain.

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 2/2-4/42

:bahgawd:

> Comic Strips 2023: COMING DOWN, BABY! ALL 310 POUNDS OF ME!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
They can stop making other comic strips now that Invisible Scarlet O'Neil exists.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 8/6-8/51
If not before a party, when exactly would be the time to clean the house? You want guests coming over and seeing the squalor you normally live in?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Doomykins posted:

Yes.

Jucika "224 - Jucika Likes Privacy"

"225 - Jucika As A Tour Guide"

Thanks!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm fairly certain a phone swelling up like that is a subtle hint that it's time to replace the battery.

I love Fingerpori, and I have a soft spot for that joke. :haw:

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I used to keep up with this thread and then I got way behind so I'm still catching up I made it to February of this year I just have to pop in and chime in that Rex Morgan is so loving boring what's the point

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

OK, Marylou being this pushy about it while also talking up A+J as investors or partners in a new business venture is getting a little ick.

I wonder if that's the vibe I'm supposed to be getting or if I'm reading too much into, "older folks don't like change" jokes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Huxley posted:

A+J

OK, Marylou being this pushy about it while also talking up A+J as investors or partners in a new business venture is getting a little ick.

I wonder if that's the vibe I'm supposed to be getting or if I'm reading too much into, "older folks don't like change" jokes.

She’s pregnant. That’s my guess.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 28, 1958)

Here I've been talking up how the magic in Prince Valiant is usually so subtle and otherwise-explainable, and then Val goes full-on psychokinetic and levitates a drat dagger. :mad:

you broke my grill posted:

I used to keep up with this thread and then I got way behind so I'm still catching up I made it to February of this year I just have to pop in and chime in that Rex Morgan is so loving boring what's the point

Rex is in a decades-long competition with Mary Worth to have the fewest things happen in the longest span of time.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Tiggum posted:

It's the thing that annoys me most about any of his comics. "This character is covered in tattoos and piercings," he says, making absolutely no effort to draw them, ever, even when they are directly relevant. "Can't be done," he says, "they're too small to show up." Apparently he's never read Zits or Dustin, because both of those comics seem to manage to depict characters with tattoos and piercings.

I was going to tip in a comment about artists making design choices they live to regret, but then I remembered what creator we were talking about.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 7, 1935)

Peanuts (August 31, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire missed a filing deadline.

Thimble Theater (April 2, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (September 3-5, 1942)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 29, 2023