Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
What's the quick guide to getting waste management set up? Is there a distribution office/technical services equivalent for garbage trucks that I'm just not seeing in the building list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
okay, when it comes to farms, what needs to be within walking distance of the bus stop? the field? the farm? both?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
farms dont need people. farms are worked by vehicles, which in W&R are sentient beings that desire only gasoline and a parking space.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

farms dont need people. farms are worked by vehicles, which in W&R are sentient beings that desire only gasoline and a parking space.

fields do benefit from human labour when harvest comes though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
oh my god trains are so loving good dude

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Gradenko posting from 1830.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You usually don't get trains that early in Victoria 3.

Honestly delaying them some more would make port and river infrastructure more meaningful.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

John Charity Spring posted:

What's the quick guide to getting waste management set up? Is there a distribution office/technical services equivalent for garbage trucks that I'm just not seeing in the building list

I just finally slammed my head into both waste management and water/sewage enough to get it so:

You do it through the same technical services, which you get a decent number of free ones. You have to designate where they'll take the trash but they'll collect everything in the radius the same way snow plows handle everything in the radius. The way I got off the ground was have the technical offices take the garbage to a transfer station (get the one with two slots or else you'll have some traffic jams) and then have a dedicated large container truck run the trash to the border. Small containers get handled by the garbage truck, big containers get handled by the big truck. Building a small container stand centralizes the trash for an area, ideally meaning fewer trips, but also completely replaces a building's internal storage so you have to stay on top of it.

Demolition offices also need to be told where to throw trash. I just set up my gravel recycling so I have a dedicated aggregate storage for construction waste only, everything else goes to the transfer station for now. Still figuring out separation and designating bins but that's enough to keep me from choking in trash.

There's also a dedicated Workers and Resources thread over in Games you should all check out since it's got pictures of other people's much better cities that you will never equal but are pretty to look at

Benagain has issued a correction as of 17:05 on Aug 25, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lostconfused posted:

You usually don't get trains that early in Victoria 3.

Honestly delaying them some more would make port and river infrastructure more meaningful.

Yeah I wish they had more ways to build infrastructure without railroads so you're not stuck with base plus ports sometimes until you research railroads and bootstrap a train industry

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
i just throw all my garbage into a corner and let it pile up.

full? new pile

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I wish they had more ways to build infrastructure without railroads so you're not stuck with base plus ports sometimes until you research railroads and bootstrap a train industry

The idea makes sense, but terrible execution.
- Victoria 3

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

i just throw all my garbage into a corner and let it pile up.

full? new pile

I like how in Cities Skylines there's no real answer to sewage besides "make sure your pumping stations aren't downstream of the poo poo pipes"

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Benagain posted:

I just finally slammed my head into both waste management and water/sewage enough to get it so:

You do it through the same technical services, which you get a decent number of free ones. You have to designate where they'll take the trash but they'll collect everything in the radius the same way snow plows handle everything in the radius. The way I got off the ground was have the technical offices take the garbage to a transfer station (get the one with two slots or else you'll have some traffic jams) and then have a dedicated large container truck run the trash to the border. Small containers get handled by the garbage truck, big containers get handled by the big truck. Building a small container stand centralizes the trash for an area, ideally meaning fewer trips, but also completely replaces a building's internal storage so you have to stay on top of it.

Demolition offices also need to be told where to throw trash. I just set up my gravel recycling so I have a dedicated aggregate storage for construction waste only, everything else goes to the transfer station for now. Still figuring out separation and designating bins but that's enough to keep me from choking in trash.

There's also a dedicated Workers and Resources thread over in Games you should all check out since it's got pictures of other people's much better cities that you will never equal but are pretty to look at

I didn't even consider shipping the waste out at the border lol. I guess that's a reason to put it into containers so you can ship it out en masse later? I figured I'd have to mess with landfill and incinerators and put up with the pollution.

This was my most recent Republic prior to the waste update, where i worked out how to get water and sewage working:

the game really scratches that itch I had as a child in making like, lego dioramas or being excited by miniature railways at tourist attractions. I love watching it all buzz away like clockwork once set up

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just unlocked the rail distribution office and have to wonder why openttd doesn't have this

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Tourist waste is like 50% bio by volume so you can use bin separation and compost it or just burn it for power.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Per Steam timer, I'm now around 20 hours counting reloads to scrap bad plans into the save I started when it came up in the thread.

Late in tomorrow's play session, I should be able to finally invite my first citizens.

Realistic mode owns once you know what you're getting into.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can conveyors transfer more than one type of aggregate, like say if the output end of a storage that has coal, and the output end of a storage that has gravel both serve as an input to a transfer, and that transfer splits up again to a plant that wants coal, and a plant that wants gravel

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can conveyors transfer more than one type of aggregate, like say if the output end of a storage that has coal, and the output end of a storage that has gravel both serve as an input to a transfer, and that transfer splits up again to a plant that wants coal, and a plant that wants gravel

I am pretty sure they can only transfer one thing at a time, i.e. no mixing, so they would either be moving 100% gravel or 100% coal at any given time, but I think it would otherwise work

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Conveyors can handle multiple aggregate types but they only move one type per tick. This is pretty useful when dealing with recycling center output.

There is a throughput limit so don't try to route everything through just one conveyor or something

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks folks. I've been experimenting more and it's almost like you want to build an entire compound of factories where they're oriented such that the inputs and outputs all feed into each other as neatly as possible instead of a rat's nest of conveyors.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

One thing you can also do is use a DO and trucks for local delivery within the complex. This is good for industries handling relatively low volumes of various goods, like chemicals. A train can pick up and drop off from a warehouse or two and trucks can shuttle stuff around.

Factory connections and conveyors are cheaper to operate but sometimes they just don't fit right.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
one thing the game is missing is narrow-gauge rail and little industrial switching trains for moving things around a factory complex

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

There's those little Czech switchers now, only 40kph but they pull good. I keep one in a depot by the border to bring in new rolling stock.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Mister Bates posted:

one thing the game is missing is narrow-gauge rail and little industrial switching trains for moving things around a factory complex

These exist as forklifts and forklift paths, but people tend to ignore them because it's more efficient to have your buildings directly connected so resources just teleport between them.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh my god trains are so loving good dude

:hai:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks folks. I've been experimenting more and it's almost like you want to build an entire compound of factories where they're oriented such that the inputs and outputs all feed into each other as neatly as possible instead of a rat's nest of conveyors.

manifolds... have you ever played satisfactory?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

whoops just had two thousand citizens freeze to death because I set up the heating system wrong.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Stairmaster posted:

whoops just had two thousand citizens freeze to death because I set up the heating system wrong.

see, communism doesn't work

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

I like how in Cities Skylines there's no real answer to sewage besides "make sure your pumping stations aren't downstream of the poo poo pipes"

It's St. Louis's problem now

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Any pointers on vehicle repair? I've been able to limp along by microing things to a depot next to my garage, and I should have more leeway in the future because it's not a 6x bulk buy all rusting out at the same time anymore, but I'd like to get them smoothly reporting in at around 70%.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Stairmaster posted:

hey do your minions go to work from the bus stop now?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

That sounds more like UK simulator to me

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

but do you have adequate eel

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

been playing unity of command 2 and man i am not good at keeping my units alive, got up past dday in the base campaign but my army is so beat up im not sure i can make it. then i tried the moscow '41 campaign and did you know the soviets were not really in good shape around that time?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
because I am on a citybuilding kick: is Anno 1800 any good?

if I were to pick it up, should I go for one of the season passes?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

gradenko_2000 posted:

have you played any of the other Anno games? it's identical. and not very good imo but whatever

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

John Charity Spring posted:

have you played any of the other Anno games? it's identical. and not very good imo but whatever

I have never played any of them

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have never played any of them

well they're a pretty standard citybuilder along the Caesar/Pharaoh template of upgrading homes by providing more goods, but with less liveliness to what's going on. they all take place in a strange fantasy world where colonialism just involves settling uninhabited islands and getting the resources you need and trading them by ships with other islands

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
if you havent played any anno 1404 is the best one

you can build debtor's prisons but debt doesnt seem to be a problem for anyone in your city. peasants are all just renting fields until they can save up enough money to buy them, as you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's pretty popular but personally I burned out long before I exhausted the base content. I got it for a good price so I feel like I had my fun with it. It's more of a supply-chain builder than a city builder I think, you're just building houses and plopping whatever you need to satisfy needs, and setting up resource chains to satisfy more complicated needs. I think I like Tropico better as a city builder-adjacent game.

I don't think Anno 1800 is bad though, it's just not for me.