Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't think you're going back far enough. The freezer, refrigerator, and sewing machine are also big drat deals. And arguably the spinning wheel...

Running water is huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

whoever invented the sun was really on to something...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't think you're going back far enough. The freezer, refrigerator, and sewing machine are also big drat deals. And arguably the spinning wheel...

domestication of livestock, agriculture, language, the six simple machines, cooking

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Agriculture did not save labor; far from it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, hunter-gatherers have far more leisure time than farmers.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

What the hell, France?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Huge bong rip

Dude

Wheat domesticated us

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Clarste posted:

I know, for when any of the farmers that I know have any free time of their own, they go hunting-gathering. But I don't know any hunter-gatherers that would go farming on their day off.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Clarste posted:

Yeah and a lot less food as population density increases. It's not like people had bountiful hunting grounds to themselves without competition and then decided to switch to farming because it seemed like a fun idea.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

iirc most of those "studies" are also done by dumbfuck anthropologists who wouldn't recognize "work" even if not doing it would lead to them starving to death

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Owling Howl posted:

Yeah and a lot less food as population density increases. It's not like people had bountiful hunting grounds to themselves without competition and then decided to switch to farming because it seemed like a fun idea.

It does not scale very well, no. Also farmers generating enough food for other people to do other work was a huge shift in civilization (or rather, it created the concept of civilization) but that just goes to show that increased technology has always been used to create more work, rather than more leisure.

Oneiros posted:

iirc most of those "studies" are also done by dumbfuck anthropologists who wouldn't recognize "work" even if not doing it would lead to them starving to death

Possibly, I was just repeating a factoid with no research.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i remember similar issues with studies of feudal agricultural practices. wow, look at all this time people weren't spending "working"! surely it's not due to to the fact that you can't just keep pouring time into crops to, i dunno, make them grow faster or something? and that people were significantly calorie restricted a good chunk of the year and would literally starve to death with extra expenditures

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Amphigory posted:

What the hell, France?
French people are terrible. I wouldn't want to spend time with them either.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nenonen posted:

I know, for when any of the farmers that I know have any free time of their own, they go hunting-gathering. But I don't know any hunter-gatherers that would go farming on their day off.

Gardening?

Oneiros posted:

i remember similar issues with studies of feudal agricultural practices. wow, look at all this time people weren't spending "working"! surely it's not due to to the fact that you can't just keep pouring time into crops to, i dunno, make them grow faster or something? and that people were significantly calorie restricted a good chunk of the year and would literally starve to death with extra expenditures

Yyyep, and if anything highlights another problem with modern work culture that there's expectation to be constantly performing some sort of 'working' regardless of whether there's any productivity to be had. I suppose there's the whole thing where traditional farmers are supposed to have not only crops but also livestock, chickens, and basically whatever else they could fit into a stereotypical rural setting...

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Oneiros posted:

Growing enough food for just yourself is not really that hard or difficult.

It's very insecure because your only safety margin is the food you saved from last year so if there happens to be a drought or plague you might just die.

And if you have no surplus to trade for other things then you have no other things which includes healthcare, electricity, indoor plumbing, car/bike, appliances, electronics, phone, clothes, any media and entertainmen.

It's miserable unless it's all you have ever known which is why people try to produce more food than just for themselves.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also they often have to produce food for landlord rent or taxes....

Edit: and grow plants for turning into textiles, since before industrial revolution those are extremely labor intensive, and likely to be produced by women of the household, rather than be affordable to trade for.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 26, 2023

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Those have obvious value but I'm pretty sure the washing machine was the biggest single time saver for housework. Laundry was a huge time sink because iirc it requires the most nonstop interaction.

https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/how-appliance-boom-moved-more-women-workforce

Single example but laundry went from 8 hours to 2 hours. Some of that was ironing (also improved by electricity).

Zachack fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 26, 2023

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Spinning wheel and other textile production improvements are far and away the biggest labor savor, if you're allowing them. They kind of seem like cheating though since the textile production labor in ye old peasant farm is roughly the same amount of work as the food production labor. If you're counting that as household labor, seems like you should also be counting things like "plow" or "potato" as technologies

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Really, the biggest time saver for me was when I went multi-cellular and figured out division of metabolic labor and cellular differentiation. Left me lots of time for deep thought, or possibly excreting insulin.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sundae posted:

Really, the biggest time saver for me was when I went multi-cellular and figured out division of metabolic labor and cellular differentiation. Left me lots of time for deep thought, or possibly excreting insulin.

Meanwhile, I'm here with the rest of the phytoplankton, just vibing. smdh if you don't produce your own energy from the sun all day.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BiggerBoat posted:

Bosses thought what we did was easy since "the computer does it now". Nobody's pay really went up (in fact it's gone down) even though the poo poo we were expected to know and adapt to increased exponentially .

This explains a lot. You worked for lovely stupid assholes. Between the ad agency and the design studio I spent almost a decade working for people, who while often assholes, respected the people who could make Creative Suite scream. The art directors weren't expected to produce more work, they were expected to produce better work as the tools improved. Sometimes at 4am after the account lead and the creative director had a screaming argument and there's a new creative direction now.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Oneiros posted:

Oneiros posted:

If you have access to these studies or a good review of them, I'd be pretty interested in reading it. I've always heard that fact, or possibly not fact, that people used to work less than modern day people. I don't inherently see a problem with saying someone who can't really improve their yield isn't working when the crops are growing. Thats not saying their lives are better, they just don't have as much work to do once the crops are planted.

But time spent for daily household chores like laundry has gone down. I wonder how much of that is actually time saved if you look at feudal societies or hunter gatherer societies though, they just wouldn't wash their clothes as much.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

gurragadon posted:

But time spent for daily household chores like laundry has gone down. I wonder how much of that is actually time saved if you look at feudal societies or hunter gatherer societies though, they just wouldn't wash their clothes as much.

Yeah, no matter how much I try and change them my kids will wear clothes for an hour or two around the house and then throw them in the wash when they go to bed. I can wear the same set of clothes for at least a few days if I'm not going around getting them sweaty or soiled.

I bet if we couldn't just throw"dirty"clothes in the wash and walk away we'd think harder about wether something could be reworn a couple of times.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

starkebn posted:

Yeah, no matter how much I try and change them my kids will wear clothes for an hour or two around the house and then throw them in the wash when they go to bed. I can wear the same set of clothes for at least a few days if I'm not going around getting them sweaty or soiled.

I bet if we couldn't just throw"dirty"clothes in the wash and walk away we'd think harder about wether something could be reworn a couple of times.
Note that for a lot of European history, people were wearing full-body linen underwear (shirt/chemise) which was regularly washed and rotated. If your sweat stops at your shirt, then your outer clothes are going to stay cleaner.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's not a forgotten technique: the secret to looking like you're cool and not dying south of the Mason-Dixon Line is to wear an undershirt.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Googling info on items and locations in Baldur's Gate III while i play has made me realize just how badly AI is loving up the entire internet already and its only going to get worse. Every question i Google gets ten hits to articles obviously thrown together with chat prompts that just makes poo poo up to create pages of useless text. I hate looking at these dumb sites and realizing how instructive they are to future broader search engine failure

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I've had to outright block multiple news outlets on Google news since the AI boom. Just story after story of AI regurgitation from what ever is doing high numbers on Reddit or tiktok, not even proof read.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
yay, infinite floods of things like this push themselves up to the top of the google algorithm, they proliferate far quicker and more numerously than credible sources, and are simply spammed out with individual articles poo poo out about any individual place, item, or quest in the entire game. and it's like a game of telephone: it's actually difficult to count precisely how many parts of this article are completely inaccurate and have nothing to do with what's in the game, so all the future AI articles poo poo out about it will factor in completely hallucinated elements in this round of AI articles.

Considering how quickly this ratched up to its current state, it probably won't be long before this goes way past just being annoying. Is it possible to enshittify the entire internet as a platform? We might just achieve it.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Discord wins again

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
We will have to bring back webrings.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

non-AI articles will be advertised as "artisanal", "handcrafted", "organic"

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Discord wins again

They haven't been winning for quite some time. Enshittification comes for us all.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

TACD posted:

non-AI articles will be advertised as "artisanal", "handcrafted", "organic"
"made with <3"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Discord is a terrible platform to store knowledge in, its search engine is terrible, things can be deleted forever at any time, and the UI is terrible for anything other than chatting.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I once googled for advice on choosing strings for my bass guitar and yeah

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Kinda neat if we Kessler Syndrome the internet before we do it to actual space.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Xand_Man posted:

Kinda neat if we Kessler Syndrome the internet before we do it to actual space.

Elon's satellites are making astronomy increasingly untenable, and not even space telescopes are safe. We are blinding ourselves to the cosmos so that we can have in-flight wifi. And we all know that it's just a matter of time before they start putting ads in space.

In light of that, a little Kessler Syndrome would probably do us good, and give us time to figure out how to regulate space, before they take the sky from us.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Google just debuted their new option to allow for "AI-driven" searches last week

I opted in, but it honestly seems 99% the same. The only major differences I've seen is that you can highlight words in search results to get short definitions of them. They also say that the AI will generate short bullet points/summaries of searches at the top of the results screen, but I'm fairly sure that has been happening for a long time.

They say there are a lot of backend coding and search improvements, but you can't really tell any of that as an end user. Seems like another AI thing that was 99% hype and not actually doing much.

quote:

We launched our generative AI-powered Search experience (SGE) less than three months ago, and we’re encouraged that the early feedback has been positive. Since the initial rollout, we’ve continuously made improvements to make the experience even more helpful. In fact, we recently announced updates including more images and videos in overviews, improvements to how links are displayed and more.

Today, we’re sharing a few more upgrades to SGE to help you better learn and make sense of information on the web: whether it’s deepening your understanding of complicated concepts, boosting your coding skills or tracking down details within a complex topic.

See definitions within AI-generated responses
When you’re researching something new, or looking for an explanation of a concept, you might come across a term you don't understand or just might want more information about. To make this easier, we will soon roll out improvements to our AI-generated responses for various topics or questions related to science, economics, history and more. With this update, you’ll be able to hover over certain words to preview definitions and see related diagrams or images on the topic. From here, you can tap to learn more.

Better understand coding information in AI overviews
Whether you’re a new or experienced programmer, learning more about coding is probably on your running to-do list, and generative AI can be a helpful tool. Starting today, we’ll add new capabilities to SGE so it’s easier to understand and debug generated code.

SGE currently provides AI-generated overviews to help with tasks across a number of programming languages and tools. For example, you can find answers to how-to questions, and see suggested code snippets for common tasks. With our new updates, segments of code in overviews will now be color-coded with syntax highlighting, so it’s faster and easier to identify elements like keywords, comments and strings, helping you better digest the code you see at a glance.

Use generative AI to learn more easily as you browse the web
When you’re trying to understand the ins and outs of a new topic, you often need to digest long or complex web pages, and it’s not always easy to hone in on specific details. So starting today, we’re launching an early experiment in Search Labs called “SGE while browsing,” available in the Google app on Android and iOS, and coming to Chrome on desktop in the days ahead. Our aim is to test how generative AI can help you navigate information online and get to the core of what you’re looking for even faster.

“SGE while browsing” was specifically designed to help people more deeply engage with long-form content from publishers and creators, and make it easier to find what you’re looking for while browsing the web. On some web pages you visit, you can tap to see an AI-generated list of the key points an article covers, with links that will take you straight to what you’re looking for directly on the page. We’ll also help you dig deeper with “Explore on page,” where you can see questions the article answers and jump to the relevant section to learn more.

An animated screenshot of a mobile phone showing SGE while browsing generating the key points of an article about Route 66 in the Google app.
We think these capabilities can be particularly helpful when you’re learning something new or complex, but they can also come in handy for other tasks like finding a new recipe or researching a big purchase.

"SGE while browsing" is designed to show AI-generated key points only on articles that are freely available to the public on the web. It does not provide key points on articles marked as paywalled, and publishers are in control — they can learn more about how to designate their content as free or paywalled in our Help Center. As always, we’ll use this time in Labs to gather feedback and learn what works best for both publishers and users as we evolve this experiment over time.

If you're already opted into SGE, you'll automatically have access to this experiment. If you haven’t already opted in,“SGE while browsing” is also available as a standalone experiment in Search Labs. To try “SGE while browsing” on desktop, make sure you have the latest version of Chrome and then visit Labs.

These latest capabilities are just some of the ways that we are improving our generative AI experience in Search to make searching for and digesting information easier. You can sign up and share feedback on these experiments through Search Labs in the Google app (Android and iOS), or on Chrome desktop

https://blog.google/products/search/google-search-generative-ai-learning-features/

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Staluigi posted:

Googling info on items and locations in Baldur's Gate III while i play has made me realize just how badly AI is loving up the entire internet already and its only going to get worse. Every question i Google gets ten hits to articles obviously thrown together with chat prompts that just makes poo poo up to create pages of useless text. I hate looking at these dumb sites and realizing how instructive they are to future broader search engine failure

It does lead to some humor when these brainless sites scrape stuff that is obviously nonsense

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/07/redditors-prank-ai-powered-news-mill-with-glorbo-in-world-of-warcraft/

I assume the big consequence of AI generated stuff won't be that it will replace real news, just that it will make the bar so low everyone will accept low effort garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Staluigi posted:

Ive been seeing a lot of those too. I was playing JA3 and googled some quests and every result I got was that kind of poo poo.

Its not even such a popular game like BG3