Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Carrhae was just a case of untreated Macho Madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wonder how much gladiators were expected to be executioners sometimes and whether they had signature fatalities.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wonder how much gladiators were expected to be executioners sometimes and whether they had signature fatalities.

Gladiators were used as muscle by gang leaders like Clodius and Milo.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Just wandered across my Xitter feed

https://twitter.com/AlisonFisk/status/1694653133815709943

Neat!

Addenda:
https://twitter.com/AlisonFisk/status/1694779379421782256

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How much does it weigh?

Please use pounds

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol that Wikipedia article has the smell of original research.

It's hard to tell, since it cites about 50 books that aren't going to be easily available online, but my gut feel is that it's pieced together from some very tenuous links in the actual literature.

Like, good going whichever of you is CohenTheBohemian for starting to call out some of the issues. But also, Wikipedia has a policy against including new syntheses of facts, which I think is the fundamental issue.

i learned a lot from the article, specifically a lot about the origin of the journal of indo-european studies and its ongoing issues

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

One of my professors has been working on raising two more Egadi rams from the Battle of the Aegates:

https://twitter.com/RPMNautical/status/1694989662324994377

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

It's impressive how streamlined those things were.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

Hulkus Hoganum

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In general there's a real problem with people, including historians, assuming any kind of entertainment or ritual had to involve gruesome sacrifices and/or fights to the death. It's like that guy in Fallout 4 who assumes that baseball was a bloodsport where gladiators used the bats to beat each other to death and is quite pissed off when the protagonist corrects him.

Well, it's had its moments...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Cent_Beer_Night

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I was reading Herodotus recently, and came upon him talking about Herakles in Egypt:

The Landmark Herodotus posted:

Now to turn again to Herakles, I have heard it said that he was one of the twelve Egyptian gods, but about the other Herakles, the one known to the Hellenes, I was unable to learn anything anywhere in Egypt. Moreover, the fact is that the Egyptians did not take the "name of Herakles" from the Hellenes, but the Hellenes (that is, those Hellenes who established the name of Herakles as the son of Amphitryon) took it from the Egyptians; this can be demonstrated by many proofs, especially by the fact that both parents of Herakles, Amphitryon and Alkmene, were of Egyptian descent... The Egyptians do, however, recognize a certain Herakles, a god of great antiquity; as they themselves say, it was 17,000 years prior to the reign of Amasis when their number of gods expanded from eight to twelve to include Herakles among them.

And then he goes on for several paragraphs talking about Herakles in Egypt. (There's an interesting dynamic here where he seems to recognize two Herakles, one the hero and one the Olympian; I think this was a popular way of looking at the figure at the time, though I haven't read enough to confirm that.)

I am not a big Egypt scholar, but I was not aware Herakles was one of the major Egyptian gods. Herodotus does not seem to simply be saying that he thinks one of the major Egyptian gods is Herakles (as he does talking about Zeus and Ammon, for example); he seems to be arguing that the name Herakles itself comes from Egypt. Anyone have any idea what he could be talking about, or what he could be meaning and I could be misunderstanding?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nrook posted:

. (There's an interesting dynamic here where he seems to recognize two Herakles, one the hero and one the Olympian; I think this was a popular way of looking at the figure at the time, though I haven't read enough to confirm that.)

Notably the odyssey has human mortal herakles in hades and divine herakles in Elysium.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I don't have any knowledge of the topic, but what Herodotus is saying in that passage (to the best of my ability to determine) is that there was an Egyptian god named Herakles, but the Egyptians don't know anything about the Greek hero/demigod Herakles. So the name, in Egypt, predates the legendary figure in Greece and the name should be considered of Egyptian origin.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nrook posted:

I was reading Herodotus recently, and came upon him talking about Herakles in Egypt:

And then he goes on for several paragraphs talking about Herakles in Egypt. (There's an interesting dynamic here where he seems to recognize two Herakles, one the hero and one the Olympian; I think this was a popular way of looking at the figure at the time, though I haven't read enough to confirm that.)

I am not a big Egypt scholar, but I was not aware Herakles was one of the major Egyptian gods. Herodotus does not seem to simply be saying that he thinks one of the major Egyptian gods is Herakles (as he does talking about Zeus and Ammon, for example); he seems to be arguing that the name Herakles itself comes from Egypt. Anyone have any idea what he could be talking about, or what he could be meaning and I could be misunderstanding?

This seems to be relevant: https://greekreporter.com/2023/07/18/hercules-egyptian-god-shu/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

euphronius posted:

How much does it weigh?

Please use pounds

12 pounds based on a now deleted tweet from that thread.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I had never come across that Herodotus claim and was really curious myself so Googled around for a while. It's not a very satisfying answer, but my conclusion was that (1) if there was a primary attestation for an ancient God named Herakles in Egypt, it is currently lost to us, and/or (2) Herodotus is advancing his own pet theory (or piece of fiction) composed of at-best tenuous connections, that is possibly simply wrong.

Here's a couple posts from 1997 when people in a Google group came to similar conclusions. The first user suggests Herodotus mistook his timeline, and the second suggests it is a matter of conflating Herakles with Amon.
https://groups.google.com/g/humanities.classics/c/34yBpJ6s3xA

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I was definitely trying to bait out a post from you :v:

I think Herodotus can't be referring to Amun, since later he says this:

The Landmark Herodotus posted:

And since the Egyptians call Zeus by the name of Ammon, it seems to me that the Ammonians also received their name from the appellation of this god.

In other words, Herodotus thinks Amun is Zeus, so he can't think Amun is Herakles too.

The identification with Heryshaf seems most plausible to me, at least in the sense that I can believe it's what Herodotus was talking about. Unless I'm misreading him, he seems pretty sure that the name of Herakles came from Egypt, so he needs to be talking about an Egyptian god whose name is at least vaguely similar to Herakles.

It does seem likely to be one of Herodotus's patented pet theories with little basis in reality, though, as you say. Of course, it's also possible there was an Egyptian community in his era that identified Herakles and Heryshaf, and Herodotus simply happened to talk to those guys when doing research.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lmao: bless :)

Yes, that's actually pretty close to how I interpreted things. Heryshef's name being read as "He Who is Over Strength," a line drawn by this to the name of Herakles, and Herodotus perceiving that connection, believing in his heart they were the same entity and recording it to root his perception in reality. Great or at least, goon minds :buddy:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 29, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There was a cult of Heracles (or something like him) in Egypt by the time Herodotus got there. He talks about it later in the same section, in relation to his extended story about why he thinks Homer was using artistic license and Helen never made it to Troy but ended up staying somewhere near the mouth of the Nile till her husband came to pick her up. The city he’s referring to would go on to be called Heracleion. Herodotus already had the notion that the Egyptians were the oldest people (except the Phrygians) and invented a bunch of stuff and had the most religious wisdom, so finding that Egyptians knew the Greek name Heracles for a god worshiped in Egypt (without however necessarily knowing the Greek myths about him) he probably just assumed that the Egyptians had the god first.

It’s further confounded by the fact that Greeks were inclined to use the name “Heracles” in locations where we might incline to use an abstraction like “culture hero”. So in the same section again he talks about going to see the Tyrian Heracles (= Melqart), who obviously wasn’t originally derived from Heracles to the extent that Roman Hercules or Etruscan Herceler was. Yet in the course of time you can see that very identification become reality as this whole syncretic Hercules-Melqart cult spreads all across the Mediterranean. Basically there’s a bunch of divine warrior demigod types in the myth-history of the Med and a bunch of cultural interchange going on from an early date and not mediated by intellectuals at first, and people slapped all sorts of god names all over stuff.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

skasion posted:

Herodotus already had the notion that the Egyptians were the oldest people (except the Phrygians) and invented a bunch of stuff and had the most religious wisdom, so finding that Egyptians knew the Greek name Heracles for a god worshiped in Egypt (without however necessarily knowing the Greek myths about him) he probably just assumed that the Egyptians had the god first.

Yeah, I certainly don't think it's a stretch Herakles was syncretized into the pantheon in places / at times. But Herodotus saying he had been present by name in Egypt since "time immemorial" is the part that sounds like he realigned a fact or two somewhere.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

people in a Google group came to similar conclusions.

I'm mad now

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lmao: it felt weird trying to offer an answer to an Ancient History question based on original research. "I know," I thought, "I will cite two randoms from the pre-Something Awful days who also did Original Research."

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

skasion posted:

It’s further confounded by the fact that Greeks were inclined to use the name “Heracles” in locations where we might incline to use an abstraction like “culture hero”. So in the same section again he talks about going to see the Tyrian Heracles (= Melqart), who obviously wasn’t originally derived from Heracles to the extent that Roman Hercules or Etruscan Herceler was. Yet in the course of time you can see that very identification become reality as this whole syncretic Hercules-Melqart cult spreads all across the Mediterranean. Basically there’s a bunch of divine warrior demigod types in the myth-history of the Med and a bunch of cultural interchange going on from an early date and not mediated by intellectuals at first, and people slapped all sorts of god names all over stuff.

It's a little like the ancient version of Maciste films getting retitled as 'Hercules' or 'Samson' movies when they got repackaged for sale in the states, huh

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

skasion posted:

"We have Herakles at home"

Herakles at home:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You never know who's your cultural hero, who's somebody else's cultural hero, and who's a luchador.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Halloween Jack posted:

You never know who's your cultural hero, who's somebody else's cultural hero, and who's a luchador.

Porque no los tres?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Herodotus and the Names of Egyptian Gods by Richmond Lattimore posted:

The Egyptian Heracles is still more troublesome. It is not clear which Egyptian god the name stands for. He is not even the same as the Greek Heracles, for he is one of the "twelve gods" while the Greek is a hero born of a mortal mother (ii. 43). Now this means that here, at least, Herodotus did not call by the name "Heracles" an Egyptian god who seemed, under an Egyptian name, to be the same as the Greek hero; for he obviously saw that they were not the same. The name is the link. There cannot, in fact, be any other explanation of this identification than that Herodotus believed that the Egyptian was actually called Heracles and that it was an Egyptian name is admitted by Wiedemann and Wells as well as by others,' though not by Legrand or Linforth ; but this is to admit that, in at least one case, an Egyptian god-name did come to the Greeks, who gen-
erally failed to recognize it as such. If Herodotus thought Heracles was an Egyptian name, he might also have thought that other gods in Egypt were called Aphrodite, Ares, Athene, Hephaestus, Hermes, Leto, Selene, Typhon, for the simple and excellent reason that his informants, priests of Hephaestus25 or others, gave him only their Greek equivalents and, out of kindness to the stranger, never burdened him with Neith, Ptah, and Thoth
So, in conclusion, :shrug:
Maybe he watched Stargate and thought Her'ur sounded similar?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Now I'm sad there was never a Kevin Sorbo Hercules episode of Stargate. Sure Sorbo is an rear end in a top hat but that would have been pretty funny.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

PittTheElder posted:

Now I'm sad there was never a Kevin Sorbo Hercules episode of Stargate. Sure Sorbo is an rear end in a top hat but that would have been pretty funny.

i guess you could say you're DIS-A-PPOINT-ED?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Lady Radia posted:

:allears:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lady Radia posted:

nice

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Halloween Jack posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Porque no los tres?

I'd make a joke about pulling some secret identity shenanigans but I'm pretty sure there's mythological precedent for it, it would explain a lot about the Bast, Hathor and Sekhmet thing.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

This might be a bit of a silly question, but prior to the advent of modern creations like the Heimlich, how did people in pre-modern and ancient times resolve choking? Obviously not everyone choked to death, so do we know what sort of method was generally used to dislodge things stuck in the windpipe?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

two fish posted:

This might be a bit of a silly question, but prior to the advent of modern creations like the Heimlich, how did people in pre-modern and ancient times resolve choking? Obviously not everyone choked to death, so do we know what sort of method was generally used to dislodge things stuck in the windpipe?

Everything gets reinvented. I’d assume it’s just a renamed “some Roman name” method.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Heimlicus, you've saved the praetor's life! Any boon is yours!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My understanding is a shocking amount of people did in fact choke to death pre-Heimlich.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the good doc himself on the subject.

quote:

One day in 1972 I was reading an article in the Sunday New York Times Magazine about accidental deaths. What caught my eye was that choking to death was number six on the list. Three thousand people a year died from choking in this country alone. This particularly piqued my interest because, in the 1950's I had developed the Reversed Gastric Tube esophagus replacement operation and, through much of my career, had become involved in evaluating patients' swallowing problems.

What was most striking was how choking usually occurred in the most ordinary circumstances. The object on which most people choked was a piece of food or, with children, a toy, a coin, or any small object they happened to put in their mouth. Yet you rarely heard of these deaths. Only when a prominent person died - such as Ethel Kennedy's sister-in-law, Joan Skakel, who choked to death on a chunk of meat, did you read about it in the newspaper. Two music stars, band leader Tommy Dorsey and pop singer Mama Cass Elliot, lost their lives to choking. I later learned that Claudius I, Emperor of Rome, had also choked to death accidentally - not strangled by a rival, as is commonly believed.

As always, the first step was to research the subject in the medical journals. I discovered that since 1933, the American Red Cross had been teaching people to save choking persons by slapping them on the back. As I read further, I realized there was no scientific basis for that recommendation. In fact, all reports from 1854 (Gross SD: A Practical Treatise on Foreign Bodies in the Air-Passages. Philadelphia, Blanchard & Lea, 1854) to the present prove hitting a person on the back drives the object downward, lodging it more tightly in the airway. Choking persons, who can still breathe, even with a piece of food in their throat, often die when back slaps cork their airway.

"Pop Goes the Cafe Coronary" (the editor's title) appeared in Emergency Medicine in June 1974. The term "CafÈ Coronary" had emerged to describe the frequent situation where a person chokes to death on food in a restaurant. More often than not, horrified onlookers thought the person was having a heart attack. (This was before a universal symbol for choking that I designed - hold your hand around your throat - was widely popularized.) Even the best doctors didn't know what to do about choking. In my article, I described one incident where a physician had tried to perform a tracheotomy with a kitchen knife on his choking wife. He literally slit her throat, cutting her carotid artery in the process, and she died of a hemorrhage. Yet, one of the recommendations, before the Heimlich maneuver came along, for saving choking victims was to slit open the trachea in the neck with a knife.

Historical consensus is that Claudius was poisoned though

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

zoux posted:

Historical consensus is that Claudius was poisoned though

Tbf, Tacitus says his doctor finished him off with a second helping of poison. I wonder if Heimlich is just trying to protect the reputation of medicine as a whole there, or if he is confusing Claudius the god with his son Claudius Drusus, who really did choke to death on food if you believe Suetonius.

Divus Claudius 27.1 posted:

He lost Drusus just before he came to manhood, for he was strangled by a pear which he had thrown into the air in play and caught in his open mouth. A few days before this he had betrothed him to the daughter of Sejanus, which makes me wonder all the more that some say that Drusus was treacherously slain by Sejanus.

That article was a good read though. Imagine being the assistant going back and forth to the cafeteria for ever weirder poo poo to jam down the throat of an anesthetized dog.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd make a joke about pulling some secret identity shenanigans but I'm pretty sure there's mythological precedent for it, it would explain a lot about the Bast, Hathor and Sekhmet thing.

Joke or no, I mean, kinda-sorta with the -- not secret, but compartmentalized identities anyway. Egyptian mythology has a fluidity associated with deities that as I understand it is somewhat unique to the faith structure. Identities could be shared and borrowed. Priests and magicians, when harnessing the power of a God, would "become" that God for a while -- see also the way a deceased Egyptian would, famously, "become" Osiris during their Underworld journey. As you point out, Hathor and Bast and Sekhmet are all understood as being at once aspects of the same deity, and also independent, individual beings (and I actually think this angle is hardly unique to Egyptian mytho-theology, you see something similar in the description of the modern Christian Trinity); but for example, in the myth of Isis and her child Horus, when Isis is assaulted by Set in the wilderness she is described as "becoming" Sekhmet in her rage as she defends herself. There is an ideological flow to be found in the idea of Goddesses that are closely related in their domains or relationships with humanity, adopting each other's abilities and identities especially readily as situations and/or worshippers demand.

Nefertum and Maahes are a male example of the Bast-Sekhmet-Hathor semi-triad; they are the sons of, well, Bast or Sekhmet depending upon whom you ask, and some sources indicate they are twin brothers -- Nefertum a handsome young God of beauty and the lotus flower, and Maahes a ferocious lion-headed deity of vengeance and protection -- and others indicate they are mirror aspects of each other/one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The relative benefit from the invention of the Heimlich maneuver may be exaggerated. Dr. Heimlich was a bit of a self-promoter, and he got in trouble for recommending the maneuver for things that there's no real basis for it working on, like asthma and drowning. One of the people speaking out against him was one of his own sons, so there's some drama there.

Many medical institutions have changed their recommendations back to hitting somebody on the back to dislodge the blockage, at least before trying the heimlich maneuver.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/first-aid/first-aid-choking/basics/art-20056637
https://www.redcross.org.uk/first-aid/learn-first-aid/choking