Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

poo poo is so fast. I have to learn to not touch the right stick, that goes against decades of gaming.

The arenas are rad because I hop in my super speedy boi and eat them alive.

https://x.com/blind_rasputin/status/1696213171764334668?s=46&t=sMEJm3FF71gLqKjbQZ89kQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Arena kicks so much rear end. I cannot wait to be torn to shreds by hungry goons.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I only had time to play an hour or so when I got home today but is the helicopter really considered the first boss and people are struggling with it, or is there a first boss yet to come that’s going to absolutely wreck my overconfident rear end?

Helicopter was easy, just had to get under it and shoot it then sometimes jump up in the air and stab it. I figured it was just a fancy enemy like that one quadruped enemy that shows up in one of the very early missions, and your handler tells you to just ignore which of course meant I had to kill that too.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah people are getting checked by it lol. It's designed to teach you that sitting back and plinking with ranged fire is not the way to play, but some people aren't taking the hint. So they do incremental chip damage for a while until they get owned by missiles.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

acksplode posted:

Yeah people are getting checked by it lol. It's designed to teach you that sitting back and plinking with ranged fire is not the way to play, but some people aren't taking the hint. So they do incremental chip damage for a while until they get owned by missiles.

It also introduces an enemy with hit and run tactics for the first time, that can outrun you and hide behind invisible walls while you have scrub tier equipment. F+ first encounter imo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DC Murderverse posted:

Thanks for this, it was good to watch someone at roughly my level of skill get through this, I switched to the pulse guns and finally killt his rear end

edit: anyone who says they beat this boss on the first try is a dirty rotten rear end in a top hat liar, my attempt before the one that ultimately got me past it I died in about 5 seconds through some bad movement luck, BALTEUS is a mktherfucker

Took me way to long to realise that the easiest way to deal with any of his flame bullshit was just to boost forward underneath him

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Beat Baltheus after fiddling with my build a lot, I’m completely hooked now. Mechs are so ducking cool. In general and in this game especially.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The occasional boss or enemy that can go out of the mission bounds and just hang out there shooting at you does feel kinda janky. It doesn’t give the greatest first impression of you get unlucky and it just decided to hover where your weapons aren’t effective while sending flurries of missiles.

Being under equipped and outmatched is just classic From and is good though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've noticed a fair bit of jank in AC6 so far like cannons shooting backwards through boss's hulls and collision/camera poo poo whenever you get close up to an enemy (usually on purpose) but overall it's pretty good. I still don't understand why the lock on cancels if you push the stick.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

Beat Baltheus after fiddling with my build a lot, I’m completely hooked now. Mechs are so ducking cool. In general and in this game especially.

another FROM success story :getin:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I guess they thought the player needed to be able to cancel lock-on rapidly due to the pace of the game, but yeah it made lock-on unusable for me. Fortunately, manual tracking works well and is more fun anyway.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

acksplode posted:

That makes me feel better by eking out a win the first time I got to it after I mistakenly used too many repair kits fiddling with the controls trying to reload my gun lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

It also introduces an enemy with hit and run tactics for the first time, that can outrun you and hide behind invisible walls while you have scrub tier equipment. F+ first encounter imo

I love a challenge, but yeah FROM openers seem to tilt a lot of people. To me the design philosophy just feels like they're showing you a picture of the swimming strokes and then throwing you into the pool, which is a design philosophy that I like because it sets expectations for the rest of the experience. But stuff like Ogre, Gascoigne, Margit, and Iudex Gundyr can really tilt a player new to the formula.

Still, many people who drop out end up coming back and conquering this poo poo, and if they can't beat the silly chopper then there is no way in hell they are beating Balteus, better to just be up front about it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

I guess they thought the player needed to be able to cancel lock-on rapidly due to the pace of the game, but yeah it made lock-on unusable for me. Fortunately, manual tracking works well and is more fun anyway.

I feel like there's a message in how easy it is to disable auto lock. I'm into chapter 3, been using nothing but free aim, and I don't see that changing

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
someone play Under the Waves and tell me if it's any good

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nightdive CEO

https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1695610984390598840

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Armoured Core 6 is a throwback in that the last time I fought a boss who was just a Helicopter was on the ps3.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Arena kicks so much rear end. I cannot wait to be torn to shreds by hungry goons.

Check your messages :wiggle:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TCR seems to have a mediocre rep on these forums, but this project looks really cool to me and seems to play to their strengths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-zKU2pjq-U

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man Nightdive are such heroes.

acksplode posted:

I feel like there's a message in how easy it is to disable auto lock. I'm into chapter 3, been using nothing but free aim, and I don't see that changing

Yeah, I mean I've finished everything in the game without ever using it, so it's certainly not necessary. I think it's just there for people who have trouble circle strafing? That's the only thing it assists with and it actually makes your firearm accuracy worse.

I guess it might serve the purpose of keeping your shield oriented toward a particular enemy, Dark Souls style. But I honestly forgot the game had shields until I was thinking about possible uses while writing this. That's probably a solid use case for tanky builds (Like slow and heavily armored, not literal tanks. Some of those are absurdly fast).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

TCR seems to have a mediocre rep on these forums, but this project looks really cool to me and seems to play to their strengths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-zKU2pjq-U

It's gonna have weapons-grade vibes and transcendent music and I'll love it for that at minimum even if it completely faceplants the landing. Again.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Armored core 6 is great and hopefully from doesn’t just go back to souls games after. I want Otogi 3 now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Velvet Veil :pray:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'd like them to make more new things like Sekiro. They could deliver the moustache twirling fencing game I've always wanted.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Miyazaki said they intend to have their bread and butter melee action games and more varied projects always developed in parallel going forward, so both camps will be happy.

I believe Miyazaki’s own current project as a director is supposed to be a bit of a departure from the studio’s previous work.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

JBP posted:

I'd like them to make more new things like Sekiro. They could deliver the moustache twirling fencing game I've always wanted.

Check out En Garde on Steam for very good (but short) swashbuckling.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I just spent about an hour on the helicopter intro boss in armored core 6 and then I figured out what it wanted me to do and beat it with no healing needed. Awesome game. I'm going to have fun

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah the helicopter is meant to teach you that you should be violating a boss' personal space. The chapter one boss is testing whether you've learned that.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Sekiro combat designer made a mech game about being aggressive and in an enemy’s face, where dodging is the least favourable option. Who’da thunk it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I just played Plague Tale 2 and I really liked it a lot, but it was also one of the most sad, hosed up nihilistic games I've ever played. Its insane to have so much dark horrible poo poo happen in front of an 8 year child throughout the entire game.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Caesar Saladin posted:

I just played Plague Tale 2 and I really liked it a lot, but it was also one of the most sad, hosed up nihilistic games I've ever played. Its insane to have so much dark horrible poo poo happen in front of an 8 year child throughout the entire game.

Its really weird because the theme of the game is seriously Hey teenage girl, you really need to psych yourself up to kill your kid brother who you've given everything up to save so far

But yeah each time there was a break and something looked nice as a player you're just counting down until things get hosed up beyond all hope.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Say it with me in rapid succession:

Right Shoulder Ammunition Depleted. Left Shoulder Ammunition Depleted. Right Hand Ammunition at 30%. Left Hand Ammunition at 30%.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Balteus down. Good ol' DoubleDouble got his rear end.

Great fight.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ZeeBoi posted:

Sekiro combat designer made a mech game about being aggressive and in an enemy’s face, where dodging is the least favourable option. Who’da thunk it.

You can also just put on the tank legs and biggest core you have, load up dual smgs and dual laser cannons, and soak the damage. That's how I did it first time

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

poo poo is so fast. I have to learn to not touch the right stick, that goes against decades of gaming.

The arenas are rad because I hop in my super speedy boi and eat them alive.

Granted I've only had time to play a few hours (got my rear end kicked by the Ch1 boss last night, haven't given him a second go yet, cause holy lord) but I feel like the lock on even in manual aim is so generous I can land shots just fine without using the hard lock almost ever. If there was a way to toggle hard lock on and off instead of canceling with a stick I'd probably use it more.

It is a lot to keep track of though. Traditionally one of my complaints with AC, especially 4A. My memory of that game was that it was even faster than AC6. AC6 feels much better to me. But it's still a lot to manage sometimes.

Chapter 1 was a bit of a mixed bag. Some really cool missions and a few that were weirdly lame. Couple of them were like 3 minutes long and I barely took a hit. I think the climb the wall mission was the highlight and the AC fight before Balteus was really fun even if it wasn't very hard, looking forward to doing more 1v1 AC fights both PVE and PVP.

Overall I like it a lot though. it just feels like such a throwback. You don't get a lot of games that look, feel or function like this anymore so it feels both new and nostalgic. Sometimes I feel like that is a big part of Fromsoft's secret sauce. Like, in the early PS3 era the games industry collectively decided we needed we needed games to go in a new direction and Fromsoft always just kept making better versions of games from the 90's.

Obviously that is an over simplification. They have done a lot more than that, but I think the stubborn adherence to not evolve in the same direction as other developers is a part of why they stand out so much. AC6 feels like a much cooler version of a game from 2001. You don't really get that anymore.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I barely noticed the climb the wall mission you just jump and kill the guns then it ends.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You can just ignore a lot of it ,but it took me a handful of tries to figure that out, the sub boss is hard as hell if you try to use little plinky guns so i think that was the first time I respecced to some heavy hitting weapons, and the final boss is easyish but looks pretty cool. Also visually/conceptually it's neat. It's a good mission.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

I barely noticed the climb the wall mission you just jump and kill the guns then it ends.

Nah, Operation Wallclimber has the Juggernaut boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Granted I've only had time to play a few hours (got my rear end kicked by the Ch1 boss last night, haven't given him a second go yet, cause holy lord) but I feel like the lock on even in manual aim is so generous I can land shots just fine without using the hard lock almost ever. If there was a way to toggle hard lock on and off instead of canceling with a stick I'd probably use it more.

I used hard lock for the whole fight, way easier for me to manage big boosts, melee, and staying right below him.

I uploaded a vid of my successful run to TOURISM if you want a look. What an epic fight.

Game is not getting enough love for its epic music and sound design.