Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Please don't nerf Thorn, it's finally fun. :ohdear:

E: https://www.eurogamer.net/destiny-2...w5YGaUy9nVZTSsM

quote:

Destiny 2 players pre-ordering and cancelling The Final Shape just to get exotic gun

Destiny 2 players are pre-ordering the game's next expansion and annual pass, The Final Shape, and cancelling it again when a code for an in-game Exotic fusion rifle comes through.

Destiny 2 content creator Luckyy10P took to Xitter over the weekend to ask if rumours about players being able to keep their pre-order goodies was true… and plenty of players responded to confirm that it was.

"I do not encourage doing this," Luckyy was quick to add. "but I was curious if this is in fact happening."

Whilst it's unclear if all platforms are giving players equal opportunities to cheese a free exotic – right now, it seems mostly console players that are getting away with it – almost everyone is surprised that it's possible, not least because dozens of players admit to doing it last time Destiny launched an expansion, too, securing the Quicksilver Storm Exotic that was available with pre-ordered copies of Lightfall.

Interestingly, Xbox players don't even have to pay for their pre-orders until shortly before The Final Shape is set to release in February, which means dozens of players are acquiring the Tessellation Exotic Fusion Rifle without putting any money down for the expansion itself (thanks, GameRant).
Final paragraph maybe relevant to bone krew.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Lol that happened to me for quicksilver storm. I saw a better price somewhere almost immediately after hitting BUY, cancelled, and still had the gun waiting for me before I had rebought and entered the code.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
You guys think the tower replica on the collectors will be cool? I really like destiny and the only other nerd poo poo I have around is various limited edition black library books

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Well we already have video of what it looks like, and I feel confident predicting you'll mess with the LEDs for a minute or two before putting it on a shelf and waiting for the reddit dorks to decode the lore clues built into it, so how much shelf space do you feel like permanently devoting to Destiny 2

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How appropriate, given that Destiny 2's final shape is "permanently devoted to the shelf"

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

MJeff posted:

I think they know, they're the ones that made it.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I bought Final Shape today because im a huge whale bitch and I tried *really hard* this morning to get the new fusion work but man do I just haaaate guns that have these long loading animations to do their Special Thing.

As a grapple hunter with 2 nade charges and all the mods to support maximum nades I had absolutely 100% uptime on the gun, which does dumptruck amounts of damage but has to long reload the special shot every time and got me killed way more than any other build.

I tried to play the game on the games terms and felt punished. A familiar feeling. :sigh:

Also another issue with new stuff, I tried the hunter Strand aspect that leaves a decoy behind on dodge and I learned the hard way that it most definitely does not pull certain enemies off you. Explode-y butterflies will still chase you, and any boss that lobs volleys at you will not redirect their volleys. A shittier version of Void's stealth dodge.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Unlocked the Monte Carlo catalyst.

Holy poo poo is that stab a beautiful thing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mesadoram posted:

Unlocked the Monte Carlo catalyst.

Holy poo poo is that stab a beautiful thing.

The catalyst just won't drop for me, and I cleared out a bunch of uncompleted ones to make sure I had room for it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Paracelsus posted:

The catalyst just won't drop for me, and I cleared out a bunch of uncompleted ones to make sure I had room for it.

Took me about 18 to get it. RNG is just mean sometimes :smith:.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
completed the exotic quest Presage solo today. I went in blind and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and sound effects. took me roughly 90 minutes and died 12 times -- all from bad jumps. it's a good quest if not on the easier side

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

neutral milf hotel posted:

completed the exotic quest Presage solo today. I went in blind and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and sound effects. took me roughly 90 minutes and died 12 times -- all from bad jumps. it's a good quest if not on the easier side

Yeah, the ease is definitely a biproduct of sandbox/design philosophy changes - like, it was definitely tougher back in the day, but IMO soloing back then was probably still easier then soloing Vexcalibur or Seraph Station.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

nope, it's just easier because of the numbers behind it

https://twitter.com/mossy_max/status/1696161848440115383

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It wasn't really designed for elements 2.0 either. I am in no way good at this game and remember it being close the first time, but I absolutely walked it on void by just having devour and volatile up 100% of the time.

The coolant flush middle console used to have to be activated last, because if you didn't, the heat would kill you before you could leave the chamber. Now it barely pops your shield.

Gives me hope for the tank section on Dead Messenger next week being a bit more forgiving anyway.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Gives me hope for the tank section on Dead Messenger next week being a bit more forgiving anyway.

I am dreading it. Soloing it on normal is fine, but on legendary it is so annoying.

I will never like timed missions :colbert:.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I was rubbish at soloing Vox even on normal. I thought it was really annoying that you didn't checkpoint when leaving the bunker for the tank section. Just got really tedious repeating the whole thing when you failed in the tower section.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm not saying you have a problem, Bungie, but when the number of accounts in Trials with VAC bans are like.... 1 in 3, maybe 4 games there's one, you have a problem.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Shockeh posted:

I'm not saying you have a problem, Bungie, but when the number of accounts in Trials with VAC bans are like.... 1 in 3, maybe 4 games there's one, you have a problem.

Steam does not give you the ability to check if a profile has a VAC ban on it from another game. You can only check if a user has a VAC or Game ban from your game.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Shockeh posted:

Yeah, I'm grinding atm for that Cataphract at rank10 and it's real fuckin bad. When it's not a blatant cheater, it's a lot of teabagging by Sir Sweats-A-Lot And Their Magical Carries. And the relative scarcity of loot prior to 7 wins means it's not a good use of time for most players.

(Also, the heavy spawn on Meltdown is really abysmally placed. If you spawn on the far side of it and the other team appears even remotely competent, might as well jump off.)

e: Honestly, even with a 7 win card, you have a p good chance of just getting a witch engram on a win, which is just... two-tokens-and-a-blue level of insulting.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 29, 2023

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

RocketRaygun posted:

Steam does not give you the ability to check if a profile has a VAC ban on it from another game. You can only check if a user has a VAC or Game ban from your game.

You view their Steam profile, and see it has a ban on record; I'm not sure what you're trying to say Rocket?

E: Oh, wait, you mean Bungie - Yeah, but I'm not saying they should use that as their marker or mechanism for dealing with them - More that if you have a high proportion of players appearing with historical 'problems', maybe you need to consider what you're doing (or not, as the case may be) to attract those players.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 29, 2023

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just create a separate matchmaking pool for people with vac bans.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Good to see we’re still putting multiple crucible squads on the same team against the solos, gj all

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

can any PS5heads verify whether the crashing issue with Vex Strike Force has been fixed? I really enjoyed playing it the couple times I did but ultimately had to stay away or I’d CTD, which means new fun new exotics for me (don’t like the recent LLS rotation so I skip it)

Yeah it still happens. Less than at Witch Queen launch, but sometimes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can guarantee you that Vex Strikeforce did not have a single crash in the Witch Queen launch period

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Say what you want about Savathun, but when she was in charge, the Minotaurs ran on time!

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Shockeh posted:

You view their Steam profile, and see it has a ban on record; I'm not sure what you're trying to say Rocket?

E: Oh, wait, you mean Bungie - Yeah, but I'm not saying they should use that as their marker or mechanism for dealing with them - More that if you have a high proportion of players appearing with historical 'problems', maybe you need to consider what you're doing (or not, as the case may be) to attract those players.

Oh, yeah, sorry, I meant that "As a developer using the steam API". There is no automated mechanism to check if someone is VAC banned from any game other than yours. This is intentional on Valve's part, and developers can get in trouble if they try to leverage other game's bans to auto ban players in their game by like, scraping the steam community page.

As for more and more cheats being available, I dunno. It's a game of cat and mouse and cheat makers run multimillion dollar buisnesses dodging anticheat and selling cheats to cheaters. Bungie is going after these fucks legally, but there are so many of them and quite a few of them are in places where the US legal system cannot reach.

Solving it on a technical level requires a kernel level anticheat, and people generally freak the everloving gently caress out about those, so I doubt bungie will do it.

EDIT:

Collateral Damage posted:

Just create a separate matchmaking pool for people with vac bans.

Fall guys did this and it was a really bad idea. Turns out Cheaters will take footage of cheater-only mm pools and spread it around social media pretending to be a non-cheater and go "WOW THIS GAME IS SO HACKER FILLED" and create a PR disaster for the devs of a game.

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 29, 2023

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

RocketRaygun posted:

Oh, yeah, sorry, I meant that "As a developer using the steam API". There is no automated mechanism to check if someone is VAC banned from any game other than yours. This is intentional on Valve's part, and developers can get in trouble if they try to leverage other game's bans to auto ban players in their game by like, scraping the steam community page.

As for more and more cheats being available, I dunno. It's a game of cat and mouse and cheat makers run multimillion dollar buisnesses dodging anticheat and selling cheats to cheaters. Bungie is going after these fucks legally, but there are so many of them and quite a few of them are in places where the US legal system cannot reach.

Solving it on a technical level requires a kernel level anticheat, and people generally freak the everloving gently caress out about those, so I doubt bungie will do it.

Yeah, know and don't disagree with any of this - Just that when the proportion reaches as high as it has (And I mean very literally, VAC Banned accounts in 1 in 3 or 4 games - Obviously this doesn't mean that many cheaters, but I'm confident in saying if you could graph it, there'd be a correlation) then perhaps it's time to try something more substantial.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If the game wasn't free to play and they had a basic "everything but the latest expansion" core product that would:
- make a lot of sense
- probably reduce the feeling of being a subpar citizen for daring to play free like it said
- at least hurt people banned cause it cost them $50 instead of just spinning up another free account

Downsides are people can't demo the game.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Make trials and comp not free to play. Problem solved. Who cares if someone is flying around through walls with infinite rapid-fire rocket launchers in control? Re-queue and join another game.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://twitter.com/A_dmg04/status/1696314097418301593?s=20

this mf retired and he still doing pr

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Me, waving my newly acquired Banner of War: That sign can't stop me because I can't read!

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I get disconnects from D2 servers about every other activity. While most of my rage is at Bungie for how much server stability has tanked since Lightfall, is there anything client side I should be looking into? Don't want to tithe more than I have to.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Is the game down? Twitter doesn't work any more and I just got a PS5 and am getting cat errors.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yes, or just about. The maintenance banner is up on bungie.net

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Maintenance around this time is normal. However, let's see if the servers come back up nicely or if they're still haunted from last season where almost every maintenance downtime seemed to get extended because of issues. I hope it goes smoothly for the first reset of the season.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

syntaxfunction posted:

Maintenance around this time is normal. However, let's see if the servers come back up nicely or if they're still haunted from last season where almost every maintenance downtime seemed to get extended because of issues. I hope it goes smoothly for the first reset of the season.

Telesto will break something this season, I can almost guarantee it.

Not sure how, not sure when, but I feel like it will...

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mesadoram posted:

Telesto will break something this season, I can almost guarantee it.

Not sure how, not sure when, but I feel like it will...

the "experimental explosives" on one of the new origin perks drops telesto orbs from other guns. so yeah this is a certainty

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Joe Blackburns takes time out of talking about The Final Shape to shut down everyone's favorite armchair game dev conspiracy theory:

quote:

Here's Blackburn with a big bucket of cold water: "You're going to get a big scoop here," he says. "Strand was never designed for Witch Queen. For one thing, it just takes us longer than a year cycle to make a whole new damage type… Even the green correlation is really funny to us because Strand didn't start out from someone writing 'Green Power' on the white board." Instead, he says that in the same way that Stasis thematically fit the blasted tundra of Beyond Light, so Strand suited the neon synthwave-iness of Lightfall. "Strand was all Lightfall, all the time," reiterates Blackburn, "and I'm sure that some people will never believe me unless they can go and see the flag fluttering on the moon."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah I can't think of any theming connections there might have been between Strand and the expansion about a giant moth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

MJeff posted:

Yeah I can't think of any theming connections there might have been between Strand and the expansion about a giant moth.

Which in the climactic final encounter had enemies called "threadweavers" who you defeated and severed threads to the traveler.