Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ghostlight posted:

in japan they call it shin sangokumusou 8

hosed up imo how the japanese word for "9" is "shin 8"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Who fuckin cares dude, just don't play it. You don't have to crusade everyone else not to play it either.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Volte posted:

Yeah but it's not Guard System: The Game. Most RPGs have some system where if you violate the law, a guard says "you violated the law" and you can resist or go to jail. The fact that this game also has one is not some gotcha that it's just copy-pasted shovelware. Baldur's Gate 3 has the exact same thing.

i think maybe 15% of rpgs have that system. at most 20%.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i thought that was a fake leak made with a skyrim mod

I haven't seen any Starfield leaks other than the guard doing the Stop Criminal Scum bit but I have no doubt that the entire combat system is hold/spam left click until the enemy swings at you so you tap right click

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Snooze Cruise posted:

i think maybe 15% of rpgs have that system. at most 20%.
Okay RPGs where you can steal. Sometimes the guards just go apeshit with no recourse I guess.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Phoix posted:

I haven't seen any Starfield leaks other than the guard doing the Stop Criminal Scum bit but I have no doubt that the entire combat system is hold/spam left click until the enemy swings at you so you tap right click

thats skyrim combat
this game has guns so it will be fallout3 combat instead

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Volte posted:

Okay RPGs where you can steal. Sometimes the guards just go apeshit with no recourse I guess.

oh no that is wrong too, steal is in like uhhh, 40% of rpgs? at most 50%.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I thought Fallout 4's combat was about the only thing that was worthwhile in that wretched game. I basically treated it like a Borderlands kind of looty shooty game and it was okay for that.

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh no that is wrong too, steal is in like uhhh, 40% of rpgs? at most 50%.
I meant the guard system is in RPGs where you can steal

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Volte posted:

I meant the guard system is in RPGs where you can steal

oh i see! sorry. in that case the guard system is in rpgs where you steal from other characters a good 40%

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Glad we could hammer this out

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

thats skyrim combat
this game has guns so it will be fallout3 combat instead

Honestly I couldn't be more wrong

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
but without the VATS system

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hope it has my favorite mechanic from Fallout 4: The settlement system

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Every Bethesda game is a loving piece of poo poo made by idiots but I love them all.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pwnstar posted:

Every Bethesda game is a loving piece of poo poo made by idiots but I love them all.

The games or the idiots?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Yes

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

i wanna take a swing at Starfield but I only have 40% hit chance. i don't think i'll make it

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just quicksave first.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just quicksave first.

It's seeded.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So do another action first so the seed changes. :v:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I got so confused reading this thread that I thought Starfield was out for a hot minute.

And... something about rolling dice.

Also, I got Strategy Cards as my first sticker which tickles my nostalgia bone because I was an MtG player many moons ago.
-
You guys remember The Outer Worlds? I think I'll beat that game, including the expansions, by 9/9/23, baby. Goals.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Honestly I love when games only have the most basic implementation of a crime system so accidentally picking up someone's picnic lunch makes every cop in town want to fight me to the death

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Every time Bethesda releases a game I end up replaying New Vegas instead so I hope they keep releasing games

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Owl Inspector posted:

Honestly I love when games only have the most basic implementation of a crime system so accidentally picking up someone's picnic lunch makes every cop in town want to fight me to the death
And every shopkeeper and vagrant in the town comes pouring out to start punching me but oops the faction system hiccuped and now the cops are fighting them...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Owl Inspector posted:

d:os2 was great for this on the controller

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

hosed up imo how the japanese word for "9" is "shin 8"
IIRC the numbering is different between countries because some got the original Dynasty Warriors fighting game and some didn't

Jack Trades posted:

The unmoving glassy-eyed stare right into the camera as they wait for you to pick a dialogue option IS literally half the game though and there have been no improvements to that core part of the game since Morrowind.
It just wouldn't be gamebryo without it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Assepoester posted:

IIRC the numbering is different between countries because some got the original Dynasty Warriors fighting game and some didn't

It just wouldn't be gamebryo without it
Japan definitely got it though, and they're one "behind" as well, the theory I heard was that they wanted to differentiate the Musou games from the fighting game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The fighting game is titled 三國無双 (Sangoku Musou), the battle fields brawlers are titled 真・三國無双 (Shin Sangoku Musou). Koei considers the second its own distinct series, but for localization they kept the Dynasty Warriors title already they'd used for the fighting game which leads to the number discrepancy. Otherwise it would have been akin to naming Dynasty Warriors 2 something like Super Dynasty Warriors in the west instead.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I am looking forwards to Starfield's Early Access release on September the 1st.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Got to give it to Bethesda, they really nailed

the person who stole copies of Starfield.

quote:

The Starfield leaker was arrested last week not for uploading 45 minutes of the unreleased game, but for stealing 67 copies of it, according to a police report obtained by Polygon.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, as I understand it they released the first dynasty warriors in japan, and it was localized as just “Dynasty Warriors”.

Then they released “True Dynasty Warriors” in Japan, and it was localized as “Dynasty Warriors 2”.

Then they released “True Dynasty Warriors 2” in Japan, and the localizers have been trapped ever since.

They can’t even pull a Final Fantasy and just sync the numbers, either, because then they’d have the nightmare marketing situation of trying to advertise their new game, Dynasty Warriors 8 (not to be confused with the previous game, Dynasty Warriors 8)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They could call it Dynasty Warriors 8 2.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dynasty warriors 8 with dynasty pronounced the American way and dynasty warriors 8 with dynasty pronounced the British way

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

De Nasty Warriors

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Decided to load up GTA3 last night. I downloaded a fix pack from nexus mods, it works but not 60fps, and I was kinda hoping there might be some more texture packs out there but maybe I just haven't found them yet. I guess thats what they want you to buy the enhanced edition for. gently caress that.

It was actually a lot of fun, and I'm surprised how much I remembered after basically 20 years. I remember some of the later missions being cheap but it definitely starts out easy peasy.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The enhanced editions are fundamentally broken in a way that will never be fixed. Vice City and San Andreas have some very good community patches, GTA3 I'm not sure.

Maybe someday we will get full proper remasters of all the 3 era games including LCS and VCS, but I'm not holding my breath.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was thinking last night about one of those Skywind style mods where you put all 3 cities in the one game. But I guess that wouldn't account for the time period change in VC.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Sea of Stars ended up annoying me too much with a weird implementation of a life quality feature.

So firstly, it has food crafting. Combining what nobody outside of survival enthusiasts want; crafting and having to eat in games.

But the thing is, there was an option to auto-heal after combat. Not only was that perfect to ignore the crafting system, but it's something I miss from every JRPG after Chained Echoes. Post-combat heals lets games like this have more challenging fights since attrition isn't an issue.

Unfortunately, enabling heals also doubles everyone's max health, completely trivializing encounters. Why? Why??

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If the encounters weren't actually designed with that in mind it seems like that'd be more of a cheat feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jack Trades posted:

Bethesda is going to release the exact same lovely game they have consistently made for the last 20 years with a new skin on top of it.
You don't need to be a precog to know that.

I hope so, I've been wanting another one of those