Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

With the dearth of quality action movies, beggars can't be choosers and all those movies are great!
Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Like give me literally any fight in The Raid over this poo poo. The gently caress am I watching, Joe Carnahan?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuDmmAmk9NU

The worst part of this movie other than the runtime. Looney Tunes poo poo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Like give me literally any fight in The Raid over this poo poo. The gently caress am I watching, Joe Carnahan?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuDmmAmk9NU

This rules what the gently caress. If Joe Carnahan made stuff like this he'd be so much cooler.

It is weird that Carnahan started out with Narc and has done cartoonish stuff almost exclusively ever since. The Grey is probably the only exception.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Disposable Scud posted:

The worst part of this movie other than the runtime. Looney Tunes poo poo.

It owned

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
No I should be fair Joe Carnahan prays he could make even that scene, it's just still obnoxious and lame to me

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Let Shane Black out of director jail to do another detective movie with Batista as lead

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
The Raid 2 is about how the violent life destroys you and just might change you first, except the final form of this change is becoming a huge murder dork like the 3 assassins. IMO it rules

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The Raid 2 is also about how throwing empty water bottles can keep any number of attackers at a distance.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Raid 2 is about how working in the kitchen can be a messy affair

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

From the Mummy Returns through Gridiron Gang, I’d say that he was testing the waters as an actor star - and made some pretty enjoyable movies. To me - it feels like the Rock wants to be a mixture of Tom Cruise and Arnold, but he’s not as good as either.

Totally agreed that The Rock has squandered the opportunity. He's making mega bucks doing what he's doing, but there's not really an amazing "The Rock" film aside from Pain & Gain. Fast 5 (the best one, do not @ me) is close but it's very much an ensemble.

He's never had that iconic Top Gun, Mission Impossible, Predator, Terminator role. Except now, because he's The Rock and it's 2023, he has the ability to pick directors and roles as if he has. It sucks!

To me, Hobbs & Shaw is interesting, as he's paired with the true successor to the 80s/90s stars - Jason Statham, who is always sorely missing from the "who is the last true movie star?" conversation. He's had the huge franchise roles (Transporter, Expendables, F&F, Crank), the camp foolishness (Crank, The Meg) and the comedy chops (Spy, Crank 2).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'd say the Rundown came close but that's also his first breakout movie so

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Statham has always come off to me as a modern Lee Marvin, but you're absolutely right he's left out of the conversation too much. He's done really good work for a really long time in a variety of films.

I don't think I've ever sought out a Jason Statham movie to watch, but any time he's in one he's always a delight.

But speaking of his co-stars, I'm eager to watch how Wu Jing does next to him. Wu Jing could legitimately be the next Tom Cruise - huge amount of screen charisma in what I've seen of him, plus fantastic athleticism in the SPLs/Wolf Warriors

Let's face it though, the heir to Arnold did things backwards of how Arnold did. Comedy first, then action. That's right, Keanu Reeves with his multiple major franchises and great one offs !point break, speed). The antithesis of the Rocks self promotion as well

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 29, 2023

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Statham is quietly in a bunch of dogshit too, try and make it through something like Chaos

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

well why not posted:

Totally agreed that The Rock has squandered the opportunity. He's making mega bucks doing what he's doing, but there's not really an amazing "The Rock" film aside from Pain & Gain. Fast 5 (the best one, do not @ me) is close but it's very much an ensemble.

He's never had that iconic Top Gun, Mission Impossible, Predator, Terminator role. Except now, because he's The Rock and it's 2023, he has the ability to pick directors and roles as if he has. It sucks!

To me, Hobbs & Shaw is interesting, as he's paired with the true successor to the 80s/90s stars - Jason Statham, who is always sorely missing from the "who is the last true movie star?" conversation. He's had the huge franchise roles (Transporter, Expendables, F&F, Crank), the camp foolishness (Crank, The Meg) and the comedy chops (Spy, Crank 2).

i just watched The Meg 2 and it is glorious. first half is slow as gently caress but my god does it pay off with the type of bombastic and ludicrous action that used to be more common. They completely ignore any kind of scientific realism and poo poo just happens and everyone accepts it, its great.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Franchescanado posted:

If any of you are readers or like listening to audio books, I have to give a strong shout-out to The Last Action Heroes: The Triumphs, Flops, and Feuds of Hollywood's Kings of Carnage by Nick de Semlyen.

It follows the early lives and careers of Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, JCVD, Dolph Lundgren, Seagal, and Bruce Willis. Thread regulars have probably seen all of the movies covered (there's a couple of Norris movies I haven't seen). The portrayals are human and doesn't shy away from their infedelities, failures, as well as the xenophobic, facist or other problematic ideas their films portray. But it also shares the cultural phenomenom these guys created with their personas, the joy of watching their films, and how most of them are charming guys despite everything.

The audiobook is read by Bronson Pinchot, and he does a great job.

I heard about it from The Action Boyz podcast, and it's been one of my favorite reads of the year. If it doesn't give you any new movies, it'll excite you to rewatch one of your favorites.

Thanks for the recommendation - finished reading it yesterday and had a great time, so many fun anecdotes (both old and new to me)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

morestuff posted:

Statham is quietly in a bunch of dogshit too, try and make it through something like Chaos

Sometimes it seems like Statham is the only big time western actor committed to making action movies and enjoying the process. I'll take five Chaoses if it gives us one Safe or Death Race.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

morestuff posted:

English actors work even if the work doesn’t work.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

dokmo posted:

Sometimes it seems like Statham is the only big time western actor committed to making action movies and enjoying the process. I'll take five Chaoses if it gives us one Safe or Death Race.

agreed

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The man knows what he’s good at.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also like Arnold, he knows how to make fun of himself. See the Crank movies or Spy.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Shageletic posted:

I'd say the Rundown came close but that's also his first breakout movie so

5hr Rundown was fun, but why does nobody mention Rampage? It was a hoot and he was good in it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

baseball boy and hammer girl are obviously, objectively sick

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I rarely watch any of his movies, but just for Gamer I'll throw Gerald Butler into the mix. He's in alot of action stuff, fallen or not.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

morestuff posted:

Chaos is awful but I really enjoyed Safe and even Parker. Statham really should get mentioned more, he is a solid stunt performer and decent actor as well. I mean I am kind of ashamed to admit but Wrath of Man is probably one of my top five movies that have come out in the past few years.

Legit though, I have to talk myself out of watching Safe everytime I see it on streaming. Solid movie. Home front is good as well if you want to see James Franco playing a really stupid villain named gator

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Statham (and maybe Scott Adkins, too) are kinda our next-gen Dolph Lundgrens. You just know they could bring it to the next level if only they could line up the moonshot ticket of ideal role, script, co-stars, director and marketing.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

baseball boy and hammer girl are obviously, objectively sick

A world without gimmick fighters? No thank you.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea Safe is one of those movies that I feel like I just end up watching every year or so because it always pops up on one streaming service or another and it never gets old. It's a more action packed version of The Man From Nowhere.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ynohtna posted:

A world without gimmick fighters? No thank you.

i've been going thru tons of Shaw Bros/Golden Harvest movies and that's like at least 70% of those movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shageletic posted:

Also like Arnold, he knows how to make fun of himself. See the Crank movies or Spy.

This I think is the biggest way the Rock's ego effects his work. Like even in Hobbs and Shaw, the scenes where Statham is making fun of him I'm confident they're so clearly not in the same room/shot from the back with just one actor visible is so they wouldn't have to get notes from the Rock about how no one can make fun of his character like that.

Maybe I wouldn't have thought that if I saw the movie when it came out but seeing it more recently it feels almost blatant like they had to film the deprecating-to-the-Rock parts AROUND him instead of WITH him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i've been going thru tons of Shaw Bros/Golden Harvest movies and that's like at least 70% of those movies.

There's some good ones in the Lone Wolf and Cub series too. I particularly liked the woman assassin who specialized in the throwing daggers, she would toss one up in the air and then as the opponent was focusing on that dagger she would leap up in the air and throw another dagger right in their grill. Pretty cool.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

There's some good ones in the Lone Wolf and Cub series too. I particularly liked the woman assassin who specialized in the throwing daggers, she would toss one up in the air and then as the opponent was focusing on that dagger she would leap up in the air and throw another dagger right in their grill. Pretty cool.

i'm due for a rewatch of those, i just started rereading the manga from the beginning. super sick.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

I rarely watch any of his movies, but just for Gamer I'll throw Gerald Butler into the mix. He's in alot of action stuff, fallen or not.

Butler will be in anything. Say, a movie called Plane.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Basebf555 posted:

I'm partial to the woman with the scary tattoo on her tits, which she reveals the moment before she stabs you to death.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Lone Wolf is basically the coolest gimmick fighter himself, he's Baby Cart Man

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

dokmo posted:

I'm partial to the woman with the scary tattoo on her tits, which she reveals the moment before she stabs you to death.

Seems kind of redundant, if you ask me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Its not even that they're gimmick fighters, the first one just set such a high bar that their fights look like poo poo in comparison, but I'm glad people enjoyed it

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Butler is the Bruce Willis replacement.
Statham is the JCVD replacement
The Rock is Steven Segal
Adkins is Chuck Norris
Grillo is Lundgren
Vin Diesel is Stallone
Tom Cruise is Harrison Ford
John wick is Arnold

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Shageletic posted:

Butler will be in anything. Say, a movie called Plane.

Again, British actors. I doubt this will be the case with the current crop though because they’re all baronets snd billionaire’s kids and so forth, not working actors

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pillowpants posted:

Butler is the Bruce Willis replacement.
Statham is the JCVD replacement
The Rock is Steven Segal
Adkins is Chuck Norris
Grillo is Lundgren
Vin Diesel is Stallone
Tom Cruise is Harrison Ford
John wick is Arnold

The Rock, Adkins, Grillo and Diesel are an incredible fit. Butler is too much of a brawler and an asskicker to fit for Willis, at least if you mean pre-Die Hard IV.

I think it's perfectly fine to say Tom Cruise is just Tom Cruise.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

Again, British actors. I doubt this will be the case with the current crop though because they’re all baronets snd billionaire’s kids and so forth, not working actors

Butler would kill you, much like he killed people in the movie Plane, if he heard you refer to him as British.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah dude is welsh