Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah with the big sale around the corner may as well save your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Oh nice! I'm having a blast toodling around at 1.0 to 2.0 so I'm in no rush. Does the membership go on sale? That's... unusual?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Everything goes on sale, silver and gold purchases. It's the best time to buy premium or any vehicles you need.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Spiteski posted:

Oh nice! I'm having a blast toodling around at 1.0 to 2.0 so I'm in no rush. Does the membership go on sale? That's... unusual?

Premium time goes on sale 3 or 4 times a year for golden eagles, the premium currency. You can get a year of premium time for half off then, through the slightly annoying process of buying eagles through their site - never Steam! - and then the time in-game.

Other quarterly-ish things; all tech tree vehicles being half off to buy after finishing their research. Premium vehicles, both directly for money on the site and for golden eagles in-game go to varying discounts.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Why never Steam?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Spiteski posted:

Why never Steam?

gaben tax

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Looks like the same price for 2500 golden currency on both Steam and Gaijin, but what I DO notice, is the premium account looks way cheaper paying outright (wasn't an option in client, that I saw) than with gold. Does the sale affect that too or is that only for currency premium?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
There are sometimes deals on Premium bought directly through the store, not with Golden Eagles, but it's usually just buying a year for 50% or something like that.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Spiteski posted:

Looks like the same price for 2500 golden currency on both Steam and Gaijin, but what I DO notice, is the premium account looks way cheaper paying outright (wasn't an option in client, that I saw) than with gold. Does the sale affect that too or is that only for currency premium?

Yes, but buying 10k GE from gaijin's website and the premium account in the client is optimal (if you're doing a whole year).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I think direct purchases of premium account only go up for the 90 and 180 days packages (not that anything stops you from buying the latter twice). What I've done for most my playtime of this game is buy the 10k GE pack for 50 euros, then come sale time spend 7.5k of those on a year's worth of premium and spend the leftover 2.5k on any cheap premium vehicles I fancy or on talismanning good tech tree vehicles while those are also 50% off.

Re: experting crews, just bear in mind that the cost to expert a vehicle is the same as the vehicle's base purchase cost, so while it might be dirt cheap for the low tiers it is something that you'll end up having to be more selective about the higher up you go. That said, for ground vehicles, your crews will be more or less perfectly functional once you put targeting and reloading up to something like 2.5 or 3, everything else is increasingly marginal.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

As everyone has said, wait for the sale (there's a few but the big one is the anniversary release sale that starts in the last week of October), but enough eagles to get a year of premium at 50% off and then have a look at maybe one of the good premium vehicles with your spare cash.

e: ^^ with tanks the gains from experting tend to be marginal, at high tier jets the G-Force resistance can be absolutely crucial.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
We should do a little tier list of premiums for the sale.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Thanks for all the tips. Has a great night tonight with 5 of of 7 matches wins and all of them I was in top squad if not top 3. Started every match with the M3 GMC and then would either go M4A1 which is as good as you all said, or the M10 and boy what a combo.

Also halfway through I unlocked the 3rd tier AA truck with the quad cannons and promptly demolished every plane around. Man that thing is hilariously fun for a BR 2.7. Every time I let off a burst some Muppet would try divebombing me and I decorated the gardens I was perched in with numerous plane stains

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Lmao some idiot leaked the Eurofighter Typhoon DA.7 manual. It just keeps happening.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It’s a really old manual that’s been available online for half a decade, not a huge scoop.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Hold on teammate I'm coming to save you!

What an interesting marking...byeeeeeeeeeeeee

https://i.imgur.com/MnfYboF.mp4

Also Panther II is insane. Been rolling 6.7 Germany since the BR changes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Hold on teammate I'm coming to save you!

What an interesting marking...byeeeeeeeeeeeee

https://i.imgur.com/MnfYboF.mp4

Also Panther II is insane. Been rolling 6.7 Germany since the BR changes.

They really need to temporarily unlock the Panther 2 again. Yes I know it’s a completely bullshit made-up tank. Thing is, I don’t loving care.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

There's plenty of made-up bullshit vehicles in the game, as long as they're ranked correctly, I don't give a drat.

Hell the T92? (American 6.7 light tank) only had two examples of them ever built.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

The Dicker Max only ever had 2 vehicles built, tho both did see combat. Same with the Sturer Emil, for that matter.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

MrYenko posted:

They really need to temporarily unlock the Panther 2 again. Yes I know it’s a completely bullshit made-up tank. Thing is, I don’t loving care.

yeah 6.7 is a weird BR for Germany, like if you have all the removed vehicles you have a killer lineup of:

Panther II, Tiger 2 (10.5cm), Tiger 2 (H), Flakpanzer 341, and Me 262 chonky cannon edition.

but without them it's like slow rear end tank destroyers, your one tiger, and Ostwind II.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Action-Bastard posted:

There's plenty of made-up bullshit vehicles in the game, as long as they're ranked correctly, I don't give a drat.

Hell the T92? (American 6.7 light tank) only had two examples of them ever built.

That's more than the zero of the Panther II

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I think the issue with the Panther II is more that its gun could not physically fit in the turret.

Orv
May 4, 2011
WW2 German players don’t need more tanks to be dogshit in until they’re far lower BR than they should be.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I think the issue with the Panther II is more that its gun could not physically fit in the turret.

only if you view the "inside" of the turret in a purely three dimensional sense

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Action-Bastard posted:

That way lies double barreled tanks (aka madness)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Punished Ape posted:

That way lies double barreled tanks (aka madness)

Good news we’re already hosed on that front

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

To be fair, Krupp did work on fitting that gun into that turret. With some modifications.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BMan posted:

Gaijin actually knuckled under to the fan outrage and have been improving the economy lately. For premium specifically, there is now a feature where you can't make net negative SL on a battle (unless you teamkilled someone).

If you buy in, do so during the november sale at half price.

Just wanted to echo this. I uninstalled and i'm not really sure when I'm returning, but picking up a year of premium for comparative pennies in November is worth it.

Spiteski posted:

Thanks for all the tips. Has a great night tonight with 5 of of 7 matches wins and all of them I was in top squad if not top 3. Started every match with the M3 GMC and then would either go M4A1 which is as good as you all said, or the M10 and boy what a combo.

Also halfway through I unlocked the 3rd tier AA truck with the quad cannons and promptly demolished every plane around. Man that thing is hilariously fun for a BR 2.7. Every time I let off a burst some Muppet would try divebombing me and I decorated the gardens I was perched in with numerous plane stains

:haibrow: The M16 with quad 50cals is a plane-killing machine

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
The upcoming move down to rank two for the Zis-43 bums me out. That thing is really fun to drive once you've mastered the clown car handling, and doing missions at BR 2.7 has been great when I just wanted to tool around without pressure.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 30, 2023

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

The upcoming move down to rank two for the Zis-43 bums me out. That thing is really fun to drive once you've mastered the clown car handling, and doing missions at BR 2.7 has been great great when I just wanted to tool around without pressure.

I'm not sure I follow, doesn't lower BR mean that it'll be even less pressure?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

It's being moved down in rank, not BR. The Zis-43 is BR 2.7 and in Rank 3, making it the lowest Rank 3 vehicle in the game. Being in Rank 3 means it can be used for events and the battlepass; for example, you can take a 2.7 lineup full of Rank 2 tanks, and as long as you end the match in the Zis 43, that match will count for the event/battlepass.
Moving it down to Rank 2 (where it should be, really) makes it illegible for event/battlepass progress.

Hilariously, it's only 2.7 in RB and SB. In Arcade, it's BR 4.0.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The upcoming move down to rank two for the Zis-43 bums me out. That thing is really fun to drive once you've mastered the clown car handling, and doing missions at BR 2.7 has been great when I just wanted to tool around without pressure.

We will still have the L-62 ANTI II on the Swedish tree. A more usable vehicle than the ZiS-43, too, though obviously you miss out on the low tier Soviet goodies surrounding the latter.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
That's the main gripe for me. They aren't fixing the actual problem of low BR vehicles qualifying for events and tasks, they're just knackering it for a really fun line up in the tree where I have invested my time. I'd rather they either fix the loophole completely or leave it be.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Solumin posted:

It's being moved down in rank, not BR. The Zis-43 is BR 2.7 and in Rank 3, making it the lowest Rank 3 vehicle in the game. Being in Rank 3 means it can be used for events and the battlepass; for example, you can take a 2.7 lineup full of Rank 2 tanks, and as long as you end the match in the Zis 43, that match will count for the event/battlepass.
Moving it down to Rank 2 (where it should be, really) makes it illegible for event/battlepass progress.

Hilariously, it's only 2.7 in RB and SB. In Arcade, it's BR 4.0.

Right I think I follow.

Also - TIL that there are different ranks for different game modes. I guess that piques my curiosity, is BR dynamically tied to performance of a vehicle use and results, or do they arbitrarily assign them based on the stats and what they "feel" it should be ranked at.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Spiteski posted:

Right I think I follow.

Also - TIL that there are different ranks for different game modes. I guess that piques my curiosity, is BR dynamically tied to performance of a vehicle use and results, or do they arbitrarily assign them based on the stats and what they "feel" it should be ranked at.

BR changes are basically done on a vehicle’s KDR, with the occasional change based on vehicles receiving or losing weaponry.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

The initial ranking is very much arbitrary though.

And yes, this does mean a dedicated group of players can get a vehicle's BR lowered if they all work together to sandbag it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Solumin posted:

And yes, this does mean a dedicated group of players can get a vehicle's BR lowered if they all work together to sandbag it.

Especially if it’s an otherwise-seldom used vehicle.

It’s far more frequently the case in the other direction where they launch a new event vehicle or premium that is comically broken at the initial BR and ends up far, far higher then where it started, but only after multiple patches and months and months of bitching and moaning. Looking at you R3, you beautiful son of a bitch.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Solumin posted:

MrYenko posted:

It’s far more frequently the case in the other direction where they launch a new event vehicle or premium that is comically broken at the initial BR and ends up far, far higher then where it started, but only after multiple patches and months and months of bitching and moaning. Looking at you R3, you beautiful son of a bitch.

:lol: yeah I wanna say the M18 hellcat was something stupid like 3.6 when it came out :shepicide:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

There was some old dev post about how when they add new vehicles they come up with a theoretical BR that is appropriate to its capabilities but instead of assigning that they try to take into account how the playerbase will actually perform with it to pick what BR it will actually get in the game. I do not know if the former serves any purpose beyond informing the devs as a "try not to stray too far from this value" thing.

MrYenko posted:

There was the case of a small group of very good players making a dedicated effort to raise the Italian CL-13's (IIRC the worst Sabre in the game that everyone skipped) BR a year or two ago successfully as a demonstration of how busted balancing off performance statistics can be. It was a case of player feedback being strong enough that gaijin directly responded to that, and formed part of the more long-term dialogue about how gaijin's balancing of the vehicles and the economy can lead to distortions due to some vehicles being rarely played due to bad performance/repair costs. Probably played a small part in making the studio open to going along with the economy overhaul they've been doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Any tips for the PBJ-1J and 1H? I can't figure out what to do with them. If I try to intercept bombers, I can't climb fast enough and I get torn apart by fighters. If I stick low and try to ground attack, I get... torn apart by fighters. I obviously can't dogfight in them.