Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Coasterphreak posted:

This thread is a reminder that not only should I update my resume, but that I’m old enough to start deleting poo poo.

:(

Keep a master copy of your resume with all your crap when you do.

There's nothing worse than trying to juggle three old resume versions to distil the one you need for this new job.

I keep a single, all inclusive resume that I update quarterly. Well, mostly quarterly. Once in a while I slip and miss one. loving everything is on it, going back to some dumb student IT jobs I had in undergrad. I have a section for published works. I have a section for teaching-specific poo poo like courses I've designed and taught. I have a skills section that's just loving everything imaginable. Naturally I don't send out that seven page behemoth to any prospective employer, but it's a great place to start making a new resume. Just delete anything that's not required, and then make a pass to highlight the stuff that really needs highlighting for that specific job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Volmarias posted:

The person who decided this has a form of color blindness, I'm willing to bet. Take a look at color blindness color wheels, and then lol look at what they're probably actually seeing.

No way was I getting on my work laptop during the weekend, but I did just this today and yeah, the radioactive purple is a pleasant blue with red- or green-blindness.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

EvilHawk posted:

The funniest CV I've ever seen was someone who applied for an entry level QA job. They decided to list their entire work history stretching back to a cashier job they had back in the 80s. It was nearly 35 years of employment history. Almost none of it was relevant but they obviously thought I needed to know that in the mid 90s they were working as a receptionist.

Don't do that, obviously.

Great instincts for a QA job.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Outrail posted:

Great instincts for a QA job.

Does anyone ever submit a resume with gaps and claim they signed an NDA? I saw that as a meme once and wonder if it ever actually happened.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Poldarn posted:

Does anyone ever submit a resume with gaps and claim they signed an NDA? I saw that as a meme once and wonder if it ever actually happened.

I don't think a normal NDA will have "you may not tell anyone that you worked here," that feels very much like a "my uncle is in the army but it's a super top secret unit so that's why it looks like he's unemployed and fat"

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Volmarias posted:

"my uncle is in the army but it's a super top secret unit so that's why it looks like he's unemployed and fat"

a relative was legit in a SF group and he looked like that, lmao. was medic on A-team. not so much fat, actually could ruck hard but he just did not look physical

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Lmao we hosted a superspreader event. A lot of people who went to the offsite have covid now.

Me included :(

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 28, 2023

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I might be overly lenient about gaps because I have my own gigantic gap but it's not hard to polish over a gap with only barely lying.

Drawing from my own bank:
Instead of "I poo poo post on something awful all day for years" you "participated in online discussions about workplace safety and technology"
Instead of "I cleared my video game back log back to clean" you "had an extended period of self care after burning out before volunteering with the local park system's summer camp"
Instead of "my dwindling back account gave me such anxiety I spent more than a few days staring at the wall" you "had a chance to experiment with several forms of meditation and mindfulness for managing stress."

Basically come at it on the level that nothing you're doing replaces work experience but don't sell yourself short.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Killingyouguy! posted:

Lmao we hosted a superspreader event. A lot of people who went to the offsite have covid now.

Me included :(

Stay safe, hamster ghost!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I took a two year break when I was younger. Worked for a company until March, then two years later started working in October, so unless they want specific dates it looks like a year.

In that year I started a company with some unreliable reprobates that immediately failed, so I spin that into a 'entrepreneur attempt that didn't get off the ground, but taught m e a lot etc etc'

It taught me to never trust people.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

zedprime posted:

I might be overly lenient about gaps because I have my own gigantic gap but it's not hard to polish over a gap with only barely lying.

Drawing from my own bank:
Instead of "I poo poo post on something awful all day for years" you "participated in online discussions about workplace safety and technology"
Instead of "I cleared my video game back log back to clean" you "had an extended period of self care after burning out before volunteering with the local park system's summer camp"
Instead of "my dwindling back account gave me such anxiety I spent more than a few days staring at the wall" you "had a chance to experiment with several forms of meditation and mindfulness for managing stress."

Basically come at it on the level that nothing you're doing replaces work experience but don't sell yourself short.

Eh, when I was in a hiring position I preferred to just see the blank spot and hear "yeah, I was looking for work and it was loving rough" in the interview than some floofy BS about a voyage of self discovery. We had one older guy with a three year gap, turns out he was staying home with his wife while she died of cancer. A+ reason for loving off a few years, holy gently caress sorry for your loss, christ it sucks sucks that you've got to jump back in.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I mean ideally gaps never come up because they are irrelevant unless other red flags are discovered and the absolute bitch rear end cop out of an interview question "so tell me about your work history" is never invoked or is better directed to actual discussable topics.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
“I got robbed at gunpoint” works pretty well as far as excuses go.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
"I spent four years unemployed smoking meth and I'm still the best drat candidate you'll ever interview for this position".

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I interviewed a dude who had a 12 month gap in his resume and he told us it was because he just felt like a year off, interview went great so we offered him the position and then when our HR dept did their background checking (it was finance adjacent, so they go pretty deep) they found out he’d had 9 different jobs in that 12 month span.

When we called him to ask what the gently caress, he said he didn’t want to tell us about them because he’d been let go from all of them for a variety of reasons, and if we’d gone to any of them for references they’d have been bad ones.

We rescinded the job offer because that wasn’t gonna pass HR’s checks in any way.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't think there's much hope for better compensation in non-profits, education, and other passion fields. Even if a particular organization has an unusually pro-worker admin/culture, the problem starts at the societal level. They probably couldn't pay you better if they wanted to.

Oh, there are lots of these organizations that can pay better, but don't because of a board of directors or C-suite that pay themselves wildly higher than they do any of their employees. Even the LGBTQ hospital I used to go to is in a life-or-death struggle after their employees unionized because the executives and board refuse to not be paid exorbitant amounts of money, and would rather eliminate any semblance of actual care for their workers or clients.

You basically cannot trust any business owner, board of directors or C-suite employee to think of anything beyond "but MY MONEY" even if they're completely torpedoing their organization because of it, because they'd rather move on to the next thing than acknowledge that The Proles deserve more than a pittance.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

History Comes Inside! posted:

I interviewed a dude who had a 12 month gap in his resume and he told us it was because he just felt like a year off, interview went great so we offered him the position and then when our HR dept did their background checking (it was finance adjacent, so they go pretty deep) they found out he’d had 9 different jobs in that 12 month span.

When we called him to ask what the gently caress, he said he didn’t want to tell us about them because he’d been let go from all of them for a variety of reasons, and if we’d gone to any of them for references they’d have been bad ones.

We rescinded the job offer because that wasn’t gonna pass HR’s checks in any way.

How is it even possible to apply for, interview, be accepted for, and start 9 roles in 12 months?! Every job I've applied for there is usually:

• job is advertised for 2 weeks
  • the panel takes a week or 2 to review applications
  • interviews then in the following week
  • another half week for head of panel to conduct reference checks
  • role is offered to successful candidate and HR has to send out a contract (half week to a week, although I've experienced this take months)
  • candidate has to work out their notice period (2 weeks or longer)

Maybe poo poo is just extra slow in Australia?

Unless these were like retail or hospitality gigs that you could start immediately upon application or something?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Chewbecca posted:

How is it even possible to apply for, interview, be accepted for, and start 9 roles in 12 months?! Every job I've applied for there is usually:

Unless these were like retail or hospitality gigs that you could start immediately upon application or something?

Bingo. Walk up to literally any place with a 'Help Wanted' sign in a low-skill area like food service or warehouse work, and unless you're actively and obviously high or drunk out of your mind, you start tomorrow. Couple days of training, and a few weeks of loving it up and halfassing the rest, you're fired for cause.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have no idea, they could have been anything at all because this was an entry level role that required absolutely no prior experience.

HR didn’t share the details beyond the number of jobs they’d found, because more than that would probably have been some kind of privacy breach I guess and ultimately it wasn’t really relevant beyond ‘you lied to us in the job interview which is not a great start to your career, never mind the reasoning’.

I think it’s done by looking into tax records, which would show the contribution employers make to NI payments and so which employer made them.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Another application question: when you are writing a cover letter (this application requires it), do you acknowledge if you are currently unemployed and why that is? Or do you just say "here is who I am and what I offer". I kind of don't want to look like I am going on the defensive, if that makes sense

I have only been unemployed for 2 months, so not a huge amount of time, and most of that was for an overseas holiday.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Chewbecca posted:

Another application question: when you are writing a cover letter (this application requires it), do you acknowledge if you are currently unemployed and why that is? Or do you just say "here is who I am and what I offer". I kind of don't want to look like I am going on the defensive, if that makes sense

I have only been unemployed for 2 months, so not a huge amount of time, and most of that was for an overseas holiday.

On a cover letter? I wouldn't even mention it unless it somehow dovetails into the generic cover letter template of 'here I am, here's what I can do, and here's what I think I can do for you' somehow?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Chewbecca posted:

I doubt they’d be too worried about it at the “sifting through cover letters” stage of the game. While it’s probably worth figuring out what you’d want to say if asked, I doubt they’d expect anyone to have much interesting to say after such a short amount of time.

Possible exception might be if you were laid off, you’re applying for a like role, and your last manager is willing to be a reference?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

On a cover letter? I wouldn't even mention it unless it somehow dovetails into the generic cover letter template of 'here I am, here's what I can do, and here's what I think I can do for you' somehow?

I don't think it's really needed, but it just occurred to me that it could be perceived as lying by omission maybe? I'd be happy to speak to it but idk if I'm meant to highlight it somewhere

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted:

I doubt they’d be too worried about it at the “sifting through cover letters” stage of the game. While it’s probably worth figuring out what you’d want to say if asked, I doubt they’d expect anyone to have much interesting to say after such a short amount of time.

Possible exception might be if you were laid off, you’re applying for a like role, and your last manager is willing to be a reference?

I had resigned due to a bunch of reasons (including travel, but I also didn't like working there), but a very senior person from that role is my referee so I know they would speak to my capability in the role. I wasn't laid off or anything.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Chewbecca posted:

I had resigned due to a bunch of reasons (including travel, but I also didn't like working there), but a very senior person from that role is my referee so I know they would speak to my capability in the role. I wasn't laid off or anything.

If they ask about the gap, it’s only because they’re concerned you got fired. You weren’t, so if asked, saying something like “I quit to take an extended vacation and reset, and now I’m looking at roles that would let me <do things this job would let you do that you couldn’t at your old job>” is accurate and honest. Again though, no need to volunteer it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Powerfucking this dead horse, tell me to stop posting if it's too much

Since I've given up on receiving any help from on high, if anything needs to happen I need to make it happen myself. Get on the train or get out of my way yada yada.

About two years ago we identified a significant potential donor/supporter and have yet to achieve a face to face meeting. After being told 'we'll handle it', at least two people with decades of relevant experience have turned up with nothing. Had to keep nudging them to keep trying to no avail. This is an impossible Sisyphean task, something to make Hercules hang up his loincloth.

I carved out fifteen minutes this morning to write an email.

Guess what happened.

Apparently they had already emailed someone on our team and were waiting to hear back.

We have a face to face next week.

Jesus loving Christ

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted:

If they ask about the gap, it’s only because they’re concerned you got fired. You weren’t, so if asked, saying something like “I quit to take an extended vacation and reset, and now I’m looking at roles that would let me <do things this job would let you do that you couldn’t at your old job>” is accurate and honest. Again though, no need to volunteer it.

Yeah this is what I figured, thank you!

They actually begged me to stay but uhh yeah nah on that one

Outrail posted:

Guess what happened.

Apparently they had already emailed someone on our team and were waiting to hear back.

Jesus loving Christ

I can never stop being shocked, but not surprised, at people's laziness and incompetence

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

Powerfucking this dead horse, tell me to stop posting if it's too much

Since I've given up on receiving any help from on high, if anything needs to happen I need to make it happen myself. Get on the train or get out of my way yada yada.

About two years ago we identified a significant potential donor/supporter and have yet to achieve a face to face meeting. After being told 'we'll handle it', at least two people with decades of relevant experience have turned up with nothing. Had to keep nudging them to keep trying to no avail. This is an impossible Sisyphean task, something to make Hercules hang up his loincloth.

I carved out fifteen minutes this morning to write an email.

Guess what happened.

Jesus loving Christ

wear a mouth guard so you don't take damage from your higher ups kicking you in the teeth for your initiative

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Chewbecca posted:

I can never stop being shocked, but not surprised, at people's laziness and incompetence

They were on vacation, so it's understandable they missed the last email. I'm just appalled that suddenly things happen when I get involved.

They do have a habit of 'losing' emails due to boomer brain, so I wonder how many lost opportunities we've missed.

What's not understandable is the twelve previous months of never bothering to just try and call, not making a good faith effort to follow up on emails. Just tell me they couldn't help me, or at least keep me up to date on what they were (or weren't) doing. We could have made this happen 12 months ago.

This happened last month as well. A year of being told about how important it is to 'do it right' and never making contact with a foundation. I got fed up and just set up a call. Thirty minutes later they told us to fill out a form and had a grant approved with the promise of an unreasonable amount of cash next year.

They're volunteers, and if they don't want to do anything they just need to say 'I'm not helping you, I'm busy, sorry'. Instead it's month after month of variations of 'oh sorry I forgot I'll get onto it. No no no it's fine just leave it with me' and blocking anyone else from actually getting it done. Because they want to help. It is infuriating.

Here's some advice for anyone over the age of 50 who sees someone struggling with something: If you insist on helping and they're getting pissed at you, it's not because they're ungrateful for your help, it's because you're not helping.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 29, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

New job uses Sharepoint AND Oracle for working on repair orders. Knitting needles in my ears and eyes please.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Chewbecca posted:

I don't think it's really needed, but it just occurred to me that it could be perceived as lying by omission maybe? I'd be happy to speak to it but idk if I'm meant to highlight it somewhere

In general, you need to sell yourself in your cover letter - only write why you are the best candidate for the job, not anything about why you are not. Your current employment status or lack thereof is irrelevant, only explain what you can provide the company going forward.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Chewbecca posted:

I think that resume gaps and being unemployed while trying to jobseek are far less of a big deal in Australia than they seem to be overseas. I've had more than a few periods in my career when I've been unemployed for various reasons and I've never put it in cover letters, and it hasn't seemed to slow me down from getting new jobs.

Also, I work in HR and have done lots of recruitment and unless you're applying for a very in demand role with a lot of applicants, you're not going to get red flagged for not explaining why you don't have constant employment. If they're really curious about it, they'll ask you at interview.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Outrail posted:

Here's some advice for anyone over the age of 50 who sees someone struggling with something: If you insist on helping and they're getting pissed at you, it's not because they're ungrateful for your help, it's because you're not helping.

The difference in trying to help and helping is that trying to help is something I can do, but actually helping depends on your point of view.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

bee posted:

I think that resume gaps and being unemployed while trying to jobseek are far less of a big deal in Australia than they seem to be overseas. I've had more than a few periods in my career when I've been unemployed for various reasons and I've never put it in cover letters, and it hasn't seemed to slow me down from getting new jobs.

Also, I work in HR and have done lots of recruitment and unless you're applying for a very in demand role with a lot of applicants, you're not going to get red flagged for not explaining why you don't have constant employment. If they're really curious about it, they'll ask you at interview.

Thanks for the input. I think you're right, I've seen people online express concern about employment gaps in terms of their applications, but I don't know that any of those people were Aussie, in my industry, etc etc

It's definitely not the hot job market it was half a year or so ago, but I think there is enough out there and it's not a significant enough gap to warrant an alarm from a panel (hopefully)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pretty soon I'll be doing a short-term high-intensity interpretation job that requires me to work 13+ hour shifts for 2-3 weeks, generally in full PPE.
Any tips from the work shitpost crew for the wild ride before me?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Coco13 posted:

The difference in trying to help and helping is that trying to help is something I can do, but actually helping depends on your point of view.

It also depends on competency. If a well meaning person istrying to help, but their "help" just slows everything down because they aren't capable of the task and are dragging everyone else down, it sucks. It's cute when it's a 3 year old "helping" their dad re-tile the bathroom. It's less cute when it's the boss's 20-something kid "helping" with something that has a deadline.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

peanut posted:

Pretty soon I'll be doing a short-term high-intensity interpretation job that requires me to work 13+ hour shifts for 2-3 weeks, generally in full PPE.

Make sure you eat, especially at the end of the day. Seriously, it takes a ton of calories to work hours like that, and it’s really hard not to succumb to the temptation of just crashing when you get home.

It’s fine for a day, but your body burns out really quickly if you do it for any extended period of time.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Coco13 posted:

Dumb poo poo your work does: I have never directly helped anyone

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

peanut posted:

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm excited for the overtime $$$ but also have effectively committed most of that to my daughter's orthodontic treatment starting next year, lol, lmao