Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't think Asmodean's "redemption" is out of anything but necessity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Not a Children posted:

Overall points [DO NOT READ SPOILER TEXT IF YOU DO NOT WANT LATE BOOK SPOILERS]:

- I'm pretty mad that Elayne never sees real consequences for her decisions, but other people do. Gawyn pretty much just exists for Egwene to fawn over and save her life once, other than that he just acts like a brat. Such is royal privilege I suppose
- Demandred coming out of nowhere to scream challenges into the battlefield felt very left-field and forced but led to some cool poo poo including murking Gawyn so I guess it's cool. Seemed like there was some cut content with his affection for some of the Sharans, kinda bummed there was never a delve into that

- Carridin seemed to be a dead-end character, I can't remember anything he did except get drunk and yelled at by evil people
- The Sanderson books were a great effort and did not compromise the momentum but seemed noticeably more quippy in a way that was occasionally jarring and awkward.

I don't think Elayne was ever going to see consequences, for most of the story she's like one of the three stooges and they don't ever get permanently hurt and she's the stereotypical love interest for a fantasy series. She deserved consequences but it was never going to happen. I think Jordan had plans for a whole lot of Demandred in Shara narrative but it just never fit with the main narrative of the books and Sanderson ended up cutting it. It kind of makes sense. If he had this whole narrative leading up to confronting Rand and then it just never happens it would not be satisfying. Might have been very wot but that's how it worked out. Carradin in retrospect makes more sense to me, the dark one would win if he didn't have such loving losers on his side. All of the forsaken are clowns, insane or barely concealing open rebellion. Carradin is the more mundane version of that. I'm not a fan of Sanderson, he completed the job. You have to give him that. I'm not a fan of him thinking its all some kind of mechanical puzzle he has to solve and so on and so on but it got an ending. Maybe one day he will finish the GRRM books. Liandrin's story ended with Suroth. She was going to get turned into a damane but Suroth died and its unclear what happened to Liandrin

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Edit: I ain't the thread police. Here's a spoiler: Olver saves the world.

Three days woo!

BigHead fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 28, 2023

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The books have the duelling ideas of "no man can walk so long in the Shadow that he cannot come again to the Light" and "the Shadow is fuckin' insidious, and good at keeping you once you've joined". It's pretty notable that the two characters that the former was true for of their own free will died for it, I think.

And also, it's just generally kinda true that the sort of person who intentionally joins the explicitly evil shadowy badguy group for power - which is what the majority of Darkfriends seem to be - is unlikely to have a face turn. You CAN, sure, but WILL you? Ehhhhh.

Nihilarian posted:

I don't think Asmodean's "redemption" is out of anything but necessity.
It's debatable what might have happened on the intention versus necessity scale had he lived, but I think his pre-incident PoV is pretty clear on where he stood, yeah.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Daughter of the Night, she walks again!

https://twitter.com/IMDb/status/1696191080847294729?s=20

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gnoman posted:

Verin redeems herself, Ingtar redeems himself, and there's every indication that Asmodean was genuinely shifting to the side of the angels. That's a lot, really.

Jain Farstrider died clean

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Hell yeah.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

He's likely saying the first half of this before he says the Blood calls Blood part in english

"Daughter of the Night, she walks again. The ancient war, she yet fights. Her new lover she seeks, who shall serve her and die, yet serve still. Who shall stand against her coming? The Shining Walls shall kneel. Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be."

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Double post, but Amazon Live is doing some "Inside the Wheel of Time" thing tomorrow (Tuesday @ 3 PM ET)

https://www.amazon.com/live/broadcast/1d8c7107-36d4-4b12-a5c9-e3f6de910fe6

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Here’s what Ishy is saying in that scene, it’s the prophecy all right

People also noticed that they keep using these seals with 8 symbols on them. I think it’s fairly certain that there will be 8 Chosen in the show. They have never mentioned the Bore or Shayol Ghul as far as I can recall I wonder where this prison is located? If they will just abandon that whole business about the Forsaken being sealed with the DO or what?

https://twitter.com/pevarat/status/1696231444081717351?s=46&t=FuVqINhLr5iT6f4jGf4sZg

Hexel fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 28, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

pik_d posted:

Double post, but Amazon Live is doing some "Inside the Wheel of Time" thing tomorrow (Tuesday @ 3 PM ET)

https://www.amazon.com/live/broadcast/1d8c7107-36d4-4b12-a5c9-e3f6de910fe6

In true Amazon WoT fashion, the release time for this has changed to Noon tomorrow.

Little bit of info

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1696254711006183723

pik_d fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 28, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

X is garbage and won't run this video for me or a bunch of my friends. Is there a direct link to this video?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Barreft posted:

X is garbage and won't run this video for me or a bunch of my friends. Is there a direct link to this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc4nrrqLk-0

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W97I_IRmkdM
The sound and visuals remind me of Legion

I wish Noah Hawley was the showrunner.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 29, 2023

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

CainFortea posted:

Jain Farstrider died clean

Ahh, but Jain Farstrider didn't really go over of his own free will. I don't remember the books outright saying it, but they heavily implied there was Compulsion involved in what he was doing for the Shadow. More than a little torture as well.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Lanfear being released by the jelly snakes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

makes sense, she's the queen of the jelly snakes

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Man there's such a jump up in quality in Knife of Dreams it's insane. loving Valda getting the world's harshest belly rub. Galina meeting Perrin. Egwene thrown into the lovely tower. The Prologue is more exciting than the series has been for at least two books. Hell yeah.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Shageletic posted:

Man there's such a jump up in quality in Knife of Dreams it's insane. loving Valda getting the world's harshest belly rub. Galina meeting Perrin. Egwene thrown into the lovely tower. The Prologue is more exciting than the series has been for at least two books. Hell yeah.

I was struck by this as well. I'm very glad Jordan got some momentum going again so the legacy isn't "Sanderson saved the series" or whatever.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Hexel posted:

They have never mentioned the Bore or Shayol Ghul as far as I can recall I wonder where this prison is located? If they will just abandon that whole business about the Forsaken being sealed with the DO or what?

I seem to recall that Moiraine explicitly says in S1 that the EotW is where the Dark One's prison is located. This obviously goes against the notions in the books that

A. (at least as far as I have pieced it together from them plus comments from RJ) neither the prison or the Bore are in a specific place, and Shayol Ghul is simply where the pattern is thin and the Bore more noticeable. (I do wonder if this thinness relates to Mierin and co's discovery of the power signature which led them to drill the Bore, or if the thinness at Shayol Ghul was only a thing after the Bore was drilled).

and

B. Shayol Ghul is much more filled with DO's presence/power than the EotW; so it would make more sense that if the prison were to be in a physical location in the show that it would be at Shayol Ghul and not the EotW.

It's a little unclear and unexplicit in the books, so it would be unsurprising if the show aimed to simplify this. I wouldn't expect Moiraine and Siuan to be under a misapprehension about the prison's "location", if it were to have one (aren't they pretty clued in about the Bore, Shayol Ghul etc in the books), but I guess in the show Ishamael may have manipulated the latter's dreams (even though in the books Aes Sedai shield their dreams).

Or maybe they genuinely are doing away with Shayol Ghul altogether - they are changing a lot, after all. Though it is a rather more dramatic and cool location for Tarmon Gai'don than the EotW. On the other hand, when actually depicted on screen, there may be concerns about the similarity to Mount Doom.

Without knowing how they are going to do this it's pretty hard to take the next step of theorising how they may or may not handle the sealing of the Forsaken, the partial sealing of Ishamael etc. In the case of Aginor and Balthamel, I would guess they will be among the Forsaken to be entirely cut, given their non-appearance the EotW.

Who the gently caress knows.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
They could also be taking a cue from the first book, where Rand legitimately thinks that he defeated the dark one (he didn't, oops).

Shayol Ghul and etc could show up later once they realize out that they were just being hosed with and tricked into releasing Ishamael. Or not at all. Who knows!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Cutting Shayol Ghul to avoid LotR comparisons seems the most likely possibility to me

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Not a Children posted:

I was struck by this as well. I'm very glad Jordan got some momentum going again so the legacy isn't "Sanderson saved the series" or whatever.

Ah, the 1948 Club.

Gemmell: Thank God I survived that bypass surgery. I'd better crack down and finish the Troy trilogy, it's the book I always wanted to write. <dies at writing desk>
Jordan: Oh gently caress, amyloidosis - I need to get my poo poo together and finish my life's work.
Pratchett: My life's work was never going to be finished till they put me in a box, but I'm going to get as much more done as I can before the Embuggerance gets me.
GRRM: lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

It's a little unclear and unexplicit in the books, so it would be unsurprising if the show aimed to simplify this. I wouldn't expect Moiraine and Siuan to be under a misapprehension about the prison's "location", if it were to have one (aren't they pretty clued in about the Bore, Shayol Ghul etc in the books), but I guess in the show Ishamael may have manipulated the latter's dreams (even though in the books Aes Sedai shield their dreams).

Lotta people in the books are laboring under false impressions that the facts they know are true. Happens to all of them. Even Moiraine. It's a very common theme.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

CainFortea posted:

Lotta people in the books are laboring under false impressions that the facts they know are true. Happens to all of them. Even Moiraine. It's a very common theme.

For sure - this pervades the books. And the Aes Sedai are still piecing together the prophecies thoughout the series. But as I recall, the basic facts about Shayol Ghul are known, aren't they. Moiraine wouldn't in the books have made an error like the DO's prison was at the EotW.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
If the show takes the tack of “Ishamael has been quietly, irregularly manipulating the world for the past 3000 years”, then the Eye/Shayol error is very easy to explain. This is one of his manipulations, tricking the Dragon Reborn into releasing him by forcing a conflict at the location of a seal rather than at the Bore itself.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The red coat is in boys

from the amazon live

High res

Upscaled Forsaken tiddy

Some more screenshots from that whole thing, wtf Moiraine?? She got to hoe some cabbages?

https://twitter.com/GradeKangusBeef/status/1696562740926575077?s=20

Hexel fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 29, 2023

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

that look in lanfear’s eyes… 👀

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

For sure - this pervades the books. And the Aes Sedai are still piecing together the prophecies thoughout the series. But as I recall, the basic facts about Shayol Ghul are known, aren't they. Moiraine wouldn't in the books have made an error like the DO's prison was at the EotW.
There's that catechism in the books about the Dark One being bound in Shayol Ghul at the moment of creation or whatever, so the very basic, primary school-level concept is widely known, yeah.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Some new scenes in here like Elyas

https://twitter.com/thewheeloftime/status/1696584844615225795?s=46&t=FuVqINhLr5iT6f4jGf4sZg

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I hate that I'm looking forward to tomorrow because I am just setting myself up for disappointment :(

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

You open your heart knowing there’s a chance it may be broken one day and in opening your heart, you experience a love and joy that you never dreamed possible. ❤️~Bob Marley~❤️

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Skyl3lazer posted:

I hate that I'm looking forward to tomorrow because I am just setting myself up for disappointment :(

It's gonna be great actually

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm so loving ready y'all

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

How are we handling spoilers in this here book barn thread for a TV show?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

spoiler tag if it leaks online before official release, once it’s up on prime go hog wild?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
generally this thread has been no spoiler blocks needed at all, while the actual tviv thread is strictly don't talk about anything not seen on the screen I think?

e: Yeah I guess spoil leaks or w/e but once an ep is out, go nuts

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ok, was just wondering if there was a "24/48 hours after release" thing

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

generally this thread has been no spoiler blocks needed at all, while the actual tviv thread is strictly don't talk about anything not seen on the screen I think?

e: Yeah I guess spoil leaks or w/e but once an ep is out, go nuts

Yeah I don't even bother with the TVIV thread because it's too hard dealing with book and show spoilers.

The way we handled it during S1 was once an episode aired the content was fair game because we all live reacted to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

please direct all complaints related to the muddiness of characters’ boots to the tviv thread, thanks in advance