Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
What a poo poo advert,gimme dudes and gals dressed as Kharacters doing sick moves in dimly lit foggy rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So... looks like they moved the game's release date up?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Is Bautista doing VO too, or did they only get him for the ad?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gavok posted:

So... looks like they moved the game's release date up?

Last I heard it's September 14th for preorders, September 19th for the dirty masses.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oof, this ad sucks

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There’s like five seconds of video game in that very long ad for a video game. Strange choice!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Are you guys mad? They are totally trying to recapture the whole Mortal Monday vibe and it works. I dunno if the game will be any good but this commercial is hype.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I watched up to the point the guy whispered "Mortal Kombat" and then I stopped because you don't need anything more than that in an ad

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There’s like five seconds of video game in that very long ad for a video game. Strange choice!

They have to be careful with all the blood spurts.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

codo27 posted:

I dunno if the game will be any good but this commercial is hype shite

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The ad is pretty dumb, but for me it's exactly the right kind of dumb. Shame they couldn't get the original mortal kombat scream guy to do his thing. :allears:

That said, they certainly can do better. The launch trailer for 11 was the hypest poo poo ever, I hope they'll manage to match that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zwQPJmg-Kg

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 29, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

EorayMel posted:

I watched up to the point the guy whispered "Mortal Kombat" and then I stopped because you don't need anything more than that in an ad

Here's what I need: a guy yells MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAT and then the Mortal Kombat theme from the 1st movie kicks in. I will 100% have a pavlovian reaction to buy the new Mortal Kombat game.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Professor Beetus posted:

Here's what I need: a guy yells MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAT and then the Mortal Kombat theme from the 1st movie kicks in. I will 100% have a pavlovian reaction to buy the new Mortal Kombat game.

Somehow my brain always forgets that the movie theme is not in the game and I'm disappointed when I revisit the old games.

I recently bought this and remembered once again:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

This whips, a lot of ppl here with their garfield lookin rear end hating on mortal mondays...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Perestroika posted:

The ad is pretty dumb, but for me it's exactly the right kind of dumb. Shame they couldn't get the original mortal kombat scream guy to do his thing. :allears:

That said, they certainly can do better. The launch trailer for 11 was the hypest poo poo ever, I hope they'll manage to match that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zwQPJmg-Kg

Ya this ad absolutely owns. The music has to be my favorite thing about it.

Next would be MK11 Kitana. She looks so drat good and I wished she had carried over into MK1 like Liu Kang and Johnny Cage had.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'll miss thicc Sindel.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I'll miss thicc Sindel.

same, her design in MK11 was excellent. I think Kung Lao/Sindel were the two characters that looked awesome in the previous game and just look kind of lame in this one, tho I guess for Lao it's a given since he's a different relative/ancestor

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Oof, this ad sucks

*raises fists in the air and shouts*

fuuuuuck yoooouuuu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8V7TwlYCt0

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Nah, the ad sucked. Nostalgia is just a powerful drug.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

*raises fists in the air and shouts*

fuuuuuck yoooouuuu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8V7TwlYCt0

This ad is much better though

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Quote-Unquote posted:

Somehow my brain always forgets that the movie theme is not in the game and I'm disappointed when I revisit the old games.

I recently bought this and remembered once again:

They were absolute fools not to immediately lock down the licensing rights for that song and put it in every game after the movie came out. Fools!

I am really jealous of that cabinet though, just an undisputed classic. A thing of beauty.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62IW2zl3m8U

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
As an aside: did MK11 do anything with Corrupted God Raiden or did they really just yeet him out of the timeline?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Unlucky7 posted:

As an aside: did MK11 do anything with Corrupted God Raiden or did they really just yeet him out of the timeline?

The second one. A writing choice which continues to baffle me to this very day

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DarklyDreaming posted:

The second one. A writing choice which continues to baffle me to this very day

The degree to which they hammered the reset button for MK11 right out of the gate makes me think it was some corporate overlord decision.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Wanderer posted:

The degree to which they hammered the reset button for MK11 right out of the gate makes me think it was some corporate overlord decision.

Yeah, that does make some sense in that context. Absolute waste of potential

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Yeah, let's take everything we've setup since the last reset, do one chapter worth of story with it, and then wipe all that poo poo off the board so we can do some time travel crap.

Main antagonist? Out the goddamn window who loving needs him.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Good news is we have Clownshoes Tied Together Shitfucker God Liu Kang to make Raiden proud

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kounterpoint: The time travel stuff gave us Johnny meeting Young Johnny and being so embarrassed by the experience he wanted to kollapse into himself like a dying star.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Wanderer posted:

There is absolutely no way it wasn't an order from above from some nostalgia addled nerd. They set up a reboot universe, have a big passing-of-the-torch moment and set up future villains....and then toss it all away to reboot everything again with the same old characters.

Dawgstar posted:

Kounterpoint: The time travel stuff gave us Johnny meeting Young Johnny and being so embarrassed by the experience he wanted to kollapse into himself like a dying star.

Then Liu Kang came along and (what it looks like from what we know) fusion danced them together and called it a day.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 30, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Isnt it more likely that boon and company just wanted to do something different? I think the company mandate was likely to skip injustice due to WB shenanigans and do another MK straight away but i doubt they were like "oh and also do a reboot!"

the storyline in MK1 directly continues from the endings of MK11

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

A reboot that sets up a reboot :allears:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
To be perfectly honest the original characters are the primary draw to this franchise. They've definitely managed to introduce some cool new characters in X and 11 (Ferra/Tor, Erron Black, Geras, the various kids of the original characters) but if they were to hard pivot and do like 80% new characters and only 20% Klassic Kharacters, I wouldn't be nearly as hype about MK1.

Hell, I'm even interested in the characters from the MK Dark Ages (MK4, Armageddon, Deception, whatever those other lovely ones were) getting rebooted now. Havik seems like a cool gimmick for an MK character! I hope he has a big 'ole smile on his face during Fatality animations :unsmith:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Wanderer posted:

I think it's more likely that they wrote themselves into a situation they later changed their minds on, either because they didn't know what to actually do with what they set up, or they came up with this other plot they liked better.

I'm trying to remember anything I actually liked about MK11's story, and I've got nothing. Two Johnny Cages was fun, I guess, but that's about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All of the best story beats really were in Aftermath. Shang Tsung chewing scenery and Sindel / Shao Kahn being #relationshipgoals were great.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

timp posted:

(Ferra/Tor, Erron Black, Geras, the various kids of the original characters)

All of these were hot garbage and even resurrecting the 3D era jobbers is an improvement

Orv
May 4, 2011

codo27 posted:

All of these were hot garbage and even resurrecting the 3D era jobbers is an improvement

What the gently caress

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

I should clarify that I'm not talking about how these characters played because I'm way too much of a casual to have opinions about all that. I'm speaking purely from the standpoint of a character's ckoncept—animation, costume, fatalities, voice acting, etc.

I'm also the kind of fan who gets all hyped up by the guest IP DLC characters. Can't wait to see what they do with my two favorite Evil Supermen! (I also understand Peacemaker's good but I haven't watched it yet)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

it's good op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Kombat Kids were good.