Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

more bittersweet than sad i think theyve pushed the genre as far as they could and sounds like their games were all solidly successful and they basically want to take the retirement job of supporting their old games and spend time with their families

yeah. also they did go out with a bang, what a great game that was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

:thermidor:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
and when i win by hiding for the first 10 minutes then killing the last guy with a rocket?

that's a royale with cheese

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

its funny seeing ppl act upset and surprised when they found out that on-planet stuff will have invisible walls and boundaries

this was obvious from the moment that Bethesda confirmed no in-atmosphere flight and no on-ground vehicles. What else were they gonna do, have the player run across entire planets?

The reveal that the entire game is procgen save the story locations really put a damper on my expectations

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lostconfused posted:

If you just say "starfield looks exactly like you expect a bethesda game to look like" then how will you provoke an emotional reaction? How will users engage with your product if they don't feel things?

That's terrible marketing.

all you have to do to market it to the average person is to let them know it exists and is made by the same people as fallout 4 and skyrim, which are beloved games to everyone but goons

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Truga posted:

yeah. also they did go out with a bang, what a great game that was

the fact that theyre focusing on content for it is great. they could sell me like one island a month for 15 bucks and id subscribe for the rest of my life.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

The reveal that the entire game is procgen save the story locations really put a damper on my expectations

what part of "theres 1000 planets to explore" made you think it would be anything other than this?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

my understanding is that the 1000 planets or whatever are procgen but you land and it populates the planet with prebuilt content appropriate for your level and progression. whats going to make that a bitch is that there are going to be a bunch of locations and npcs that you see on a wiki and the solution to find them is to just keep landing places at the right level until they populate

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Al! posted:

my understanding is that the 1000 planets or whatever are procgen but you land and it populates the planet with prebuilt content appropriate for your level and progression. whats going to make that a bitch is that there are going to be a bunch of locations and npcs that you see on a wiki and the solution to find them is to just keep landing places at the right level until they populate

is that how it works?

i figured that each populated planet would have pre-genned landing spots that are the same for every player. If the player wants to explore the planet further, then they can put down custom landing zones that will then proc gen based on the coordinates. This approach gives the best of both worlds imo, hand-crafted locations for all the important story or POI stuff and proc-gen slop for all the piggies that want to clear out endless bandit camps

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Al! posted:

whatever procgen they’re doing is based on the same seed for everyone, so while bases out there in the middle of nowhere will be procgenned in their layout/enemies/loot, etc. everyone should see the same stuff in the same location

at least that’s my understanding right now

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Al! posted:

whats going to make that a bitch is that there are going to be a bunch of locations and npcs that you see on a wiki and the solution to find them is to just keep landing places at the right level until they populate

That sounds like a not fun way to play, but I assume some people will do that and complain about the game being bad.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

is that how it works?

i figured that each populated planet would have pre-genned landing spots that are the same for every player. If the player wants to explore the planet further, then they can put down custom landing zones that will then proc gen based on the coordinates. This approach gives the best of both worlds imo, hand-crafted locations for all the important story or POI stuff and proc-gen slop for all the piggies that want to clear out endless bandit camps

id imagine its mostly procgen base slop with handcrafted ones thrown into the mix.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ben Nerevarine posted:

whatever procgen they’re doing is based on the same seed for everyone, so while bases out there in the middle of nowhere will be procgenned in their layout/enemies/loot, etc. everyone should see the same stuff in the same location

at least that’s my understanding right now

oh that makes a lot more sense. agdq 2024 randomizer run ftw

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Al! posted:

id imagine its mostly procgen base slop with handcrafted ones thrown into the mix.

the way the player explores a planet is through a menu when they get in orbit. They can choose a landing zone from a list of existing POI landing zones, think specific cities and ruins or areas for the story, etc, and they can also put a custom marker on the surface that will then proc-gen a chunk for the player to explore, likely using the surface coordinates as a seed so other players can share coordinates with each other. Presumably, that chunk will include stuff like bandit outposts, caves, random ruins, mineral deposits etc.

I imagine that the POI landing points will be mostly handcrafted, and the same from player to player, so that the games story missions can be designed and not left to the whims of procedural generation

at least, this is all my understanding based off of previews and poo poo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i mean who knows we will find out for real by thursday evening

oblivion was the only one of these games i hated. my best experience was finding out that new vegas exists and was coming out the day before it launched, what a nice surprise that was

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

all of bethesda's games have had procgen poo poo in between built areas going back to arena. even morrowind is partially procgen. starfield sounds like it's basically gonna be daggerfall in space as far as how the map was made

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Pete Hines said Starfield is “more Oblivion than Skyrim” and I’ve been puzzling over it for days. what could he mean? it’s bad instead of good?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Pete Hines said Starfield is “more Oblivion than Skyrim” and I’ve been puzzling over it for days. what could he mean? it’s bad instead of good?

Maybe he meant it's more memeable

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ben Nerevarine posted:

he meant the facial animations

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Ben Nerevarine posted:

the camera zooms into npc's faces when you talk to them

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

fully owned

quote:

Lastly, a note on Digital Foundry. You should expect to see relatively prompt coverage of the game by Rich and his team after a separate delivery of Starfield code was provided to them. However, this was provided alongside instruction to me by Bethesda that no other parts of Eurogamer were granted access. This was an unprecedented request, but one I ultimately felt compelled to honour to ensure the access granted to Digital Foundry was not subsequently impacted by any other mandate.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ben Nerevarine posted:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/BurkeKrohn/status/1696354150131318815?s=20

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

is anyone from star trek doing voice work for starfield? maybe jonathan frakes dies in the tutorial after u kill some space rats and thats what he meant

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Quark is in it (the best character)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Richard Leadbetter, brother of Lily

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I did see a clip where a dude landed right next to a city cell and the city couldn't be seen at all. Disappointing but not surprising at all. Game just needs to come out, the discourse is getting too heated

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
in no man's sky you could point your device at a little guy and name him "weinerhead"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/Bolverk15/status/1696518188333400572

lol that the replies are all people saying "that unironically owns"

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

punished milkman posted:

yeah that mission was extremely tough for me and took a lot of build tweaks to just scrape through. i did enjoy the dialog in that mission at least, the math lines are very funny

ended up having to punch the last stragglers to death after my shotguns ran dry

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Risutora posted:

ended up having to punch the last stragglers to death after my shotguns ran dry

im not far enough along to have learned you fight that guy, but in this case learning that you get to murder him is a spoiler that actually makes me want to keep playing even more

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

trying to cash in my microsoft "rewards" points to see if i can buy myself starfield early access, and i think so many other people had that idea that the rewards site is down

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

trying to cash in my microsoft "rewards" points to see if i can buy myself starfield early access, and i think so many other people had that idea that the rewards site is down

are they still giving away copies of Windows Vista Ultimate you can return to Walmart for 200 bones?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We ebat the giant ice worm bot with the power of teamwork. I'm sure I won't have to horribly murder everyone I worked with in the next two chapters.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

smarxist posted:

are they still giving away copies of Windows Vista Ultimate you can return to Walmart for 200 bones?

a lot of stores like walmart and home depot are switching to no receipt = no return policies and even starting to flag people that return too much merchandise because of people returning stuff for store credit lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/Bolverk15/status/1696518188333400572

lol that the replies are all people saying "that unironically owns"

it was pretty essential to the plot for me because one of the party members permanently ended the life of another