Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Hazo posted:

Did you stop watching partway through or something? He has an entire piece to camera where he talks about everything that's happened with him and Holly and how he's so happy his office family is growing up and falling in love.

I don't blame you if you did, though-- everything after Andy gets a tattoo on his rear end and the cast members start directing episodes is utter dogshit

I guess i didn't remember exactly what he said because it wasn't interesting or funny and he didn't interact with any of the other characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Zugzwang posted:

Roy grew up and Jim didn't.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Pam's art gallery show was so bad

That poo poo was embarrassing, loving come on Pam draw better

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Konar posted:

Pam's art gallery show was so bad

That poo poo was embarrassing, loving come on Pam draw better

And she got really mad when practically none of her coworkers wasted their valuable free time to show up for that nonsense.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the nard-dog

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

you know, andy's character is funny retrospectively but not while you're watching him

Nov 6, 2002

haljordan posted:

And she got really mad when practically none of her coworkers wasted their valuable free time to show up for that nonsense.

Could you imagine wasting your Friday night to drive to some local crap art gallery to see your coworkers lovely artwork and it turns out to be a portrait of your goddamn office building. I would punch them.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Could you imagine wasting your Friday night to drive to some local crap art gallery to see your coworkers lovely artwork and it turns out to be a portrait of your goddamn office building. I would punch them.

I can barely stand to be around my coworkers at work, when I'm being paid to be there. gently caress spending any more time with them for free.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Oscar and his boyfriend showed up and talked about how amateur it was.

Nov 6, 2002

she couldn't even take the time to frame or mount them properply

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MegaCorp used to rent a drab office with no aesthetic appeal & I was confused why the building lobby had a black and white framed photo of the building lobby. Got more confused when we changed buildings & someone took the picture with them and put it up in their cubicle.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

it was actually bad that pam failed out of art school because she didn’t know how to use photoshop

Jim is a horrible person

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Pam's painting is missing from a couple of episodes because there was an abandoned subplot where Erin cleans the wall and destroys it, but Jenna Fischer (rightfully) refused to go along with it because it was a stupid gag

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Hazo posted:

Pam's painting is missing from a couple of episodes because there was an abandoned subplot where Erin cleans the wall and destroys it, but Jenna Fischer (rightfully) refused to go along with it because it was a stupid gag

why do i... remember.... seeing this.....? is this a stroke

oh wait it happened i guess

strokin here

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Pam also scammed her way into a job as "office administrator" because she's a failure and then got mad at Jim for pursuing an opportunity with a company that ended up being worth millions.

Nov 6, 2002

Jim buying his parents house without telling his wife is just incredibly stupid on many levels.

And yet, it was topped by her not even being upset in the slightest.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

haljordan posted:

Pam also scammed her way into a job as "office administrator" because she's a failure and then got mad at Jim for pursuing an opportunity with a company that ended up being worth millions.

To be fair, this was also mostly a joke on Gabe for being a spineless dweeb who just wanted a nameplate.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Jim buying his parents house without telling his wife is just incredibly stupid on many levels.

And yet, it was topped by her not even being upset in the slightest.
The horrifying and impossible-to-remove clown painting on the wall was a symbol for Jim

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Halisnacks posted:

Jim’s specific dream is lovely but his more generic dream of leaving his depressing job and town is hard to object to.

See US office was good when it realised this and was about the desperation to escape, and got awful when it decided that they're all a happy dysfunctional family deep down and that the mediocre spouse n' kids existence of You The Viewer is something to aspire to.

Or as you might put it, 'growing up' :whitewater:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

GolfHole posted:

why do i... remember.... seeing this.....? is this a stroke

oh wait it happened i guess

strokin here

A lot of deleted scenes often got put online before streaming really took off.

The Office even won a Daytime Emmy for an online series about the Accounting Trio around season 2 or 3

Nov 6, 2002

Strategic Tea posted:

See US office was good when it realised this and was about the desperation to escape, and got awful when it decided that they're all a happy dysfunctional family deep down and that the mediocre spouse n' kids existence of You The Viewer is something to aspire to.

My co-workers being my "family" is a living nightmare.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I thought Scranton was fictional until I found out Joe Biden was from there

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

vegetables posted:

Scranton gets name dropped in Home Alone. I believe it's where Catherine O'Hara meets up with John Candy's character. I drove through it recently. The even renamed part of the interestate the Joe Biden Expressway.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

vegetables posted:

American president Joe Biden??? What are you doing in Scranton?

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Creed had a lot of aliases...

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

I felt the writers couldn’t decide if they wanted to be a “follow your dreams” show or a “appreciate what you have” show.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Halisnacks posted:

I felt the writers couldn’t decide if they wanted to be a “follow your dreams” show or a “appreciate what you have” show.
They wanted a “makes lot of money” show, hence skipping over all the natural points for an ending in favor of an interminable, rudderless, untethered, cartoonish reality

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Strategic Tea posted:

American president Joe Biden??? What are you doing in Scranton?

They did that on Parks & Rec :negative:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I've never met someone who said this that wasn't an obnoxious contrarian

Surprised it took until page 8 to appear itt

im an obnoxious rear end in a top hat, no argument there, but this is unimpeachably true

uk: a groundbreaking comedy
us: a tedious sitcom. tedious sitcoms are fine but the uk version is better

Nov 6, 2002

The only thing the UK version did better was end when it should have.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

abloo bloo i like watching nbc’s ‘the office’ why does this handsome poster disagree and prefer the objectively better uk original

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

I've never met someone who said this that wasn't an obnoxious contrarian

Surprised it took until page 8 to appear itt

ricky gervais is an obnoxious contrarian though

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I literally just started binging the office recently having never watched it before and I have a burning question, do they ever explain who the gently caress is filming them for literal years or why?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah but not for a long, long time.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

git apologist posted:

im an obnoxious rear end in a top hat, no argument there, but this is unimpeachably true

uk: a groundbreaking comedy
us: a tedious sitcom. tedious sitcoms are fine but the uk version is better

The only part where this is true is season one of the US Office, where they were trying, and failing, to adopt the U.K. version to what they thought US audiences wanted. The first season of the US version is 6 episodes. Unfortunately a lot of people make the comparison from those first episodes alone and stop watching. The show was retooled starting with season 2 and significantly improves. Beyond that...

The UK version is 14 insipid episodes with nothing to say other than "work bad, life bleak".

The US version is a pop culture phenomenon that ended 10 years ago and is still talked about more than most shows currently airing, with hundreds of memorable moments that are ingrained into US culture.

US Version = popular, therefore bad!
UK Version = hardly watched, therefore good!
:goonsay:

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

The US version is a pop culture phenomenon that ended 10 years ago and is still talked about more than most shows currently airing, with hundreds of memorable moments that are ingrained into US culture.

US Version = popular, therefore bad!
UK Version = hardly watched, therefore good!
:goonsay:

Hardly watched? It was a global phenomenon. Even gave rise to the (inferior) US version.

I like the US one, but come on, they’re leagues apart in terms of quality.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

The UK version is 14 insipid episodes with nothing to say other than "work bad, life bleak”

It’s worth remembering that when it came out in 2001, this message (which for most people is in fact true) was novel and transgressive for a TV show.

All other TV shows about the workplace implicitly or explicitly were about the value and meaning of work. No one had normal, bad jobs.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
While I have heard rumors of a UK version of The Office, there are no confirmed sightings as of this date.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Fascinating... a television series that exists only in the imagination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

The best thing about the UK version of The Office, IMO: