Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think the leftism subforum (and other people outside of CSPAM who watch NJB of a similar political persuasion) tends to look askance at the idea of "poo poo is too hard, it ain't changing any time soon" because if you're that way about bike infrastructure then hoo-boy have I got news for you about how difficult it's going to be to overthrow capitalism and halt climate change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Twerk from Home posted:

Was the film Premium Rush based on your life?

no, just comparing how then there were fewer delivery folk in the bicycle spaces by a huge amount and some of those people were actively hostile, but between ebikes, gig economies, and moped prevalence the cycling infrastructure has not seemingly gotten safer from that avenue of threat.

i was straight up too much of a drunk to cut it in bike delivery and only did a few stints of like 2 weeks at a time in various midwestern cities. but bike delivery folks/musicians/bartenders/live event promoters were not very disparate crowds.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think the leftism subforum (and other people outside of CSPAM who watch NJB of a similar political persuasion) tends to look askance at the idea of "poo poo is too hard, it ain't changing any time soon" because if you're that way about bike infrastructure then hoo-boy have I got news for you about how difficult it's going to be to overthrow capitalism and halt climate change

"oh I believe that all those things are good and moral, I'm just not going to expend any effort on it because it's a hopeless waste of time - that means I'm technically not a nihilist."

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
its just infuriating because he's rich so he could be doing something more than us peons but decides he'll just move to the bike nerd version of the caymans and sip fruity drinks on the beach and call us all stupid for not joining him

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

gradenko_2000 posted:

i don’t expect to do either of those things, though it doesnt mean it isnt the goal to strive for. we need to accept and plan on the fact that we cannot hit that level of progress where we can rest at stasis on those subjects in our lifetimes.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

we cant even get min wage raised a quarter lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gonna need to invent teleporting

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Peanut President posted:

its just infuriating because he's rich so he could be doing something more than us peons but decides he'll just move to the bike nerd version of the caymans and sip fruity drinks on the beach and call us all stupid for not joining him

yeah its a libish gently caress you got mine. but jokes on him when the dam ruptures.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean... have you seen the general attitudes in the climate and politics threads?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just gave $10 to my local bike advocacy group, so I'm allowed to say we're hosed

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

i dont think were hosed as much as we have to define success on smaller scales at times and accept that the struggle will never end else we end up also fighting the cognitive dissonance of trying hard and still not accomplishing the big things.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Peanut President posted:

His youtube channel is literally doing something though. I don't necessarily like his personality and I can't even stand to listen to him when he's talking to people in unscripted podcasts but his channel has probably done more to bring awareness to how much better bike infrastructure can be than anyone else on the internet.

Yeah he's an rear end in a top hat and it sucks that he gets to run off to amsterdam and have good bike infrastructure and we don't, and watching his videos makes me mad about how much the place I live sucks, but even if he 100% believes north america is eternally hopeless, he is effectively advocating for better bike infrastructure in the US in an extremely troll-ish way even if that really isn't actually his intent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I mean... have you seen the general attitudes in the climate and politics threads?

I can't do anything about penguins dying out because there's no more ice, but I can keep riding my bike until a car kills me

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I just gave $10 to my local bike advocacy group, so I'm allowed to say we're hosed

:nice:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Fitzy Fitz posted:

thank you for your service

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's why NJB is right to stir poo poo up like he is - we like to make youtube videos about trains, show up at ribbon cuttings for painted bike lanes, and - if we're really cheeky- go on a critical mass ride once a year but what we don't do is look at if our advocacy is having any real effect on the system outside of little bits of democrat style "incremental change."

It's not a matter of "poo poo is too hard" it's a matter of whether anything we're doing is adding up to the sort of systemic change that needs to happen to fix things. Since nobody can seem to answer that question without getting mad that it's being asked at all, then I think he's right to believe that we're at least a generation away from seeing any change.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They are getting kicked out of their building and can't afford rent elsewhere. I hope they will be OK because they do incredible work lobbying the city, encouraging people to ride, and finding bikes for people who can't afford them.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

cat botherer posted:

tubulars actually have worse rolling resistance than clinchers because the glue squishes and moves around. Dumb.

You forgot to mention that they also take way more work to install :confuoot:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Weembles posted:

That's why NJB is right to stir poo poo up like he is - we like to make youtube videos about trains, show up at ribbon cuttings for painted bike lanes, and - if we're really cheeky- go on a critical mass ride once a year but what we don't do is look at if our advocacy is having any real effect on the system outside of little bits of democrat style "incremental change."

It's not a matter of "poo poo is too hard" it's a matter of whether anything we're doing is adding up to the sort of systemic change that needs to happen to fix things. Since nobody can seem to answer that question without getting mad that it's being asked at all, then I think he's right to believe that we're at least a generation away from seeing any change.
Also, incremental improvements aren't even how the Netherlands got to its current point. It took a massive campaign to "stop child murder" or whatever that got a ton of people on board for systemic change first before things really started to change. Going to planning meetings to fight for bike lanes in specific places is good, but getting lots more people angry about the current situation and making people aware that there is an alternative is probably important in itself.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, you probably should do some research on the Netherlands before you move there. Dutch politics are pretty conservative/right-wing and xenophobic. You can't leave the country if you are on unemployment (they will track your IP if you even go to Belguim/Germany). The housing prices are as ridiculous as North America at times, and the work/life balance there isn't great. I have friends who moved there, and their views got pretty negative over time. It is great if you like biking though, but if you get a Dutch passport, you probably want to move to somewhere else. (It is also constantly gray, and he get cold winds in June if you are anywhere near water.)

-----

NJB perhaps isn't really just stirring the pot, he really goes overboard, for a channel called Not Just Bikes...he is talking about bikes like 90% of the time, especially the streams.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:12 on Aug 29, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the dutch are vile

sim
Sep 24, 2003

mystes posted:

Also, incremental improvements aren't even how the Netherlands got to its current point. It took a massive campaign to "stop child murder" or whatever that got a ton of people on board for systemic change first before things really started to change.

I would argue it's more about corporate oil/car money than anything. The 1973 oil crisis forced The Dutch government to ban cars on Sundays. Without access to cheap oil and national car companies lobbying on a constant basis, it was much easier to transition back to bicycle/pedestrian friendly infrastructure.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

we will be against child murder when gas is 180 kroner per liter or whatever too

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mauser posted:

You forgot to mention that they also take way more work to install :confuoot:
Yeah it sucks rear end and it's impossible to get the tires straight. And lol if you get a flat.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

sim posted:

I would argue it's more about corporate oil/car money than anything. The 1973 oil crisis forced The Dutch government to ban cars on Sundays. Without access to cheap oil and national car companies lobbying on a constant basis, it was much easier to transition back to bicycle/pedestrian friendly infrastructure.

this is degrowth and it's disgusting

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

this is degrowth and it's disgusting

we just need opec to cut output by 50% and then we'll being living the dream

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

RadiRoot posted:

It is a work in progress

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RadiRoot posted:

lol at BRICS controlling more of the oil supply than OPEC

Chairman Xi is gonna usher in a bicycle future

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Weembles posted:

the timeframe for a sea change in urban planning is legitimately probably longer than just waiting for suburbs to collapse regardless of political will

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
the real NJB controversy is that his videos are too loving long and his voice sucks and he just repeats the same points over and over again until your brain melts. even as an online transit / bicycle guy in his echo chamber, i've never made it even halfway through any of his godforsaken videos

mystes
May 31, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

the real NJB controversy is that his videos are too loving long and his voice sucks and he just repeats the same points over and over again until your brain melts. even as an online transit / bicycle guy in his echo chamber, i've never made it even halfway through any of his godforsaken videos
I've kind of gotten bored of his more recent videos to some degree just because it feels like he's remaking the same videos over and over at this point

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
the change will require congress to reallocate car money to things that aren't cars

it doesn't happen with nickel and dime local activism

to get a trails paved on alignments cities already own or to get crosswalk bulb-outs built, cities are out here competing for scraps from federal programs that can only fund a dozen projects nationwide

meanwhile, car money just rains down like manna from heaven. it comes with a mandate to spend it all expanding roads to make driving faster and better. you don't even ask for it. (maintaining roads? none for that.)

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Platystemon posted:

Bicycle tires are unreasonably expensive.

They’re made to worse tolerances in smaller moulds with way less material. They shouldn’t cost like half a much as a car tire.

There are lots of cheap bike tires, they're just heavy and won't look nice or be from a company a rando will recognize.

A lot of the nice expensive stuff (for road bikes and mountain bikes at least) is literally the same stuff they use for professional racing. Car brained comparison, it's like buying Goodyear racing slicks for your Corolla and then complaining that they're expensive and don't last long

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
if you are worried about getting flats just get marathon plus's

If you want a tire that feels very supple and fast do not get a marathon plus... but if you are still worried about flats maybe get a gatorskin and pump that poo poo up vigilantly

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Greg12 posted:

the change will require congress to reallocate car money to things that aren't cars

it doesn't happen with nickel and dime local activism

to get a trails paved on alignments cities already own or to get crosswalk bulb-outs built, cities are out here competing for scraps from federal programs that can only fund a dozen projects nationwide

meanwhile, car money just rains down like manna from heaven. it comes with a mandate to spend it all expanding roads to make driving faster and better. you don't even ask for it. (maintaining roads? none for that.)

The way it gets done is by making "complete streets" or whatever it is we're calling good construction these days the default option when buiding or modifying roads.

That's how the netherlands got to where they are now. Everytime they build a new road or repave an old one, it gets updated to new standards. The US still builds everything to the same standards they used in the 1960s and then maybe throws pedestrians or bikes a bone a few years later if enough people die on it.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

been meaning to this for awhile, but i slapped a hood of a car sitting in the MUP crosswalk at a red light as i crossed. i had another chance on the commute home, but the kid had is window opened and just said fail as i swerved around. almost got hit after getting milk from the store this morning from an suv coasting through the crosswalk to sneak in a right turn on a redlight lmao. support the troops because they put their own lives in danger, but i do that everyday just trying to bike around town.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sure it has the best biking infrastucture, but you have to deal with the personalities of Dutch people (yes I've been there)

did NJB ever explain how he got into the country in the first place? many people can't

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mystes posted:

Also, incremental improvements aren't even how the Netherlands got to its current point. It took a massive campaign to "stop child murder" or whatever that got a ton of people on board for systemic change first before things really started to change. Going to planning meetings to fight for bike lanes in specific places is good, but getting lots more people angry about the current situation and making people aware that there is an alternative is probably important in itself.

to be fair i don't think appealing to stopping child murder will do it in the us

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Idk call me a nihilist but it's all well and good to poo poo on the NJB guy (and you should, the dutch are scum) because he's abandoning the advocates or whatever but did I miss the part where advocacy was always guaranteed to work as long as you really believed and did it hard enough for long enough?

Maybe that's how we'd like it to work but realistically there's no guarantee that any amount of advocacy for non-lethal bicycle infrastructure in NA would ever actually result in real change, just look at how little we're doing about climate change even when the effects are apparent now to the majority of humanity and we know that the best course of action ECONOMICALLY let alone morally or environmentally is to do something.

As people have mentioned the famous 'child death' campaign is often cited for having a big impact on the Dutch move away from cars, but how many kids get shot in schools in the US every year and what's been done about that? If you cant advocate for any meaningful gun reform for a problem that so visibly impacts such a broad slice of the population what hope do you have for something so much more niche as cycling/transport infrastructure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

Idk call me a nihilist but it's all well and good to poo poo on the NJB guy (and you should, the dutch are scum) because he's abandoning the advocates or whatever but did I miss the part where advocacy was always guaranteed to work as long as you really believed and did it hard enough for long enough?

Maybe that's how we'd like it to work but realistically there's no guarantee that any amount of advocacy for non-lethal bicycle infrastructure in NA would ever actually result in real change, just look at how little we're doing about climate change even when the effects are apparent now to the majority of humanity and we know that the best course of action ECONOMICALLY let alone morally or environmentally is to do something.

As people have mentioned the famous 'child death' campaign is often cited for having a big impact on the Dutch move away from cars, but how many kids get shot in schools in the US every year and what's been done about that? If you cant advocate for any meaningful gun reform for a problem that so visibly impacts such a broad slice of the population what hope do you have for something so much more niche as cycling/transport infrastructure?

you're a nihilist