Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

From what I have been able to gather, conservative Trekkies completely miss all of the idealistic post-scarcity speculative fiction aspects and settle on "man, it would be really cool if I was a commander and had a group of people who had to do whatever I told them to do".

Fister Roboto posted:

You're overthinking it. When conservatives like something, they decide that it must be conservative too, and work backwards from there to shoehorn their beliefs into it.

Other than Fister Roboto's good point, I think another part of it is that when you're looking at future tech in sci-fi shows, you just take for granted that it's going to be there, and don't bother getting into the weeds about the How.
It's just "Well of course they have a replicator that makes everything you want out of thin air." without giving any thought to the sort of societal changes and reforms that the show tries to explain led up to that tech being able to exist in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Didn’t that happen with Captain America for real? Like during the red scare he became this virulent anti-communist far right Cap. Then when they dropped a lot of the content codes the writers had Real Cap come beat that guy’s rear end as an impostor, and explain that that behaviour is unamerican?

Captain America is not real.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's supposed to be an unusually high number of pedophiles among ST fandom and there are an unusually high number of pedophiles among conservatives, ergo:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Uglycat posted:

Captain America is not real.

Captain America is very real I saw him on a video game.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TN has adjourned their special session on "gun safety", let's see what they accomplished:

quote:

During its session this morning, the Senate is in the process of concurring with changes made by the House to the four bills the upper chamber already passed. Changes include restoring funding the Senate previously removed for a public service ad campaign on gun safety, and reallocating some funding for behavioral health safety net grants.

No further House bills are expected to be considered, and Senate committees will remain closed.

The special session is expected to adjourn today.

Marvelous. Gallery attendees were very upset
https://twitter.com/kelsey_beyeler/status/1696565739296116762

They will not be voted out.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Francis "The Bitcoin Mayor" Suarez officially becomes the first person to drop out of the Presidential race.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1696569027202531621

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1696514457722130501

Apparently that watershed NLRB ruling was retroactive???

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Judgy Fucker posted:

Belief in one god "in many manifestations" is pretty common amongst Hindus. Hindu mythology is also rife with avatars, earthly manifestations of divine beings. So between two of the anchors of Christian belief--the Trinity and Christ's divine nature--there's a lot of common theological ground to tread.

So yeah, it's probably really not all that weird.

Yeah as far as I've looked into it, which isn't very, Vivek is a practicing member of a perfectly bog standard Hindu temple and almost certainly a Vishnu man. I thought I'd rambled a bit about this in this thread before but maybe it was just gbs. "Hinduism is monotheistic, technically" and "Jesus is an avatar of Vishnu" are completely unremarkable takes.

it's when he gets to sentence number three that things go off the rails but in a boring "my evil reactionary politics are more important to me than my theology" way

also if he doesn't have a Ganesh statue somewhere in his home or office I'm gonna be right put out, the guy's the God of luck, business, and entrepreneurship (but I repeat myself) and even has an elephant head, he's very popular in general and tailor made for the GOP, if you ignore the bit where he's a nice fellow

the story of how he got the head is also my personal vote for funniest major Hindu myth

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 29, 2023

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

You're overthinking it. When conservatives like something, they decide that it must be conservative too, and work backwards from there to shoehorn their beliefs into it.

Another example of this is One Piece which weirdly has liberatory politics from a more leftish perspective. When chud fans are confronted with this they contort their brains to come up with the stupidest poo poo possible to explain how uh actually it's just a generic, completely apolitical good guy vs bad guy story bereft of any social or political commentary or that it's actually libertarian/conservative.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Didn’t that happen with Captain America for real? Like during the red scare he became this virulent anti-communist far right Cap. Then when they dropped a lot of the content codes the writers had Real Cap come beat that guy’s rear end as an impostor, and explain that that behaviour is unamerican?

I'm pretty sure you're specifically thinking of the one-shot "What If Captain America Were Revived Today?" (today being 1985), but yeah, they've also done that in the mainline continuity - after Cap got frozen at the end of WW2, the government grabbed some other guys to fill the role and the 50s "Commie-Smasher" Cap has shown up as a villain only going more and more right wing as time goes on.

zoux posted:

Also hell yes.

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 29, 2023

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

zoux posted:

:sickos:

Now do Starbucks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Retroactive to six months, it seems. Anyway, Biden admin is the most labor friendly admin since, who, FDR?

https://twitter.com/AZGOP/status/1696367098472091757

This is the sort of dysfunction you'd expect from outparties in overwhelmingly partisan states, like Texas or California, not a barely blue state like AZ. I guess when you hand the keys over to mendacious grifters this is what you get.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 29, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

Retroactive to six months, it seems. Anyway, Biden admin is the most labor friendly admin since, who, FDR?

LBJ made a bunch of big promises (repealing part of Taft-Hartley, reducing the official work week to 35 hours, NLRB reforms, etc.) that he never followed through on for organized labor, but in terms of labor in general (not organized labor/unions specifically), Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Equal Pay Act, Age Discrimination Act, etc. were definitely more significant than Biden's changes.

Slightly pedantic, but Biden has appointed people to executive positions who have made probably the biggest changes to organized labor laws in a long time, but overall pro-labor changes since FDR is definitely LBJ. LBJ has the weird distinction of leaving office with some unions furious at him, but also passing the most significant pro-labor legislation since the New Deal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s just all grifts now. I saw that Don Jr was trying to tell Trump supporters on social media to only buy authorized Trump merch from the family directly because ‘there are grifters out there and we want to make sure that the money goes to the cause’

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Arizona GOP is ... going through some poo poo huh

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The RLSC is also a legit superpac that's raised hundreds of millions of dollars for state GOP candidates, this is the AZGOP making sure they get their beak wet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

the_steve posted:

Other than Fister Roboto's good point, I think another part of it is that when you're looking at future tech in sci-fi shows, you just take for granted that it's going to be there, and don't bother getting into the weeds about the How.
It's just "Well of course they have a replicator that makes everything you want out of thin air." without giving any thought to the sort of societal changes and reforms that the show tries to explain led up to that tech being able to exist in the first place.

Part of why I liked DS9 so much is it actually goes into that a bit like there's big industrial caliber replicators used for making farming super efficient or construction and stuff like that thay are like A Big Deal kind of thing where wherever the three or four a planet has are majorly effects a planet's political situation and stuff.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

zoux posted:

Hell yes! I worked for Trader Joe's a lifetime ago and all I really remember was the constant mandatory anti-union propaganda we had to endure.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

snorch posted:

:sickos:

Now do Starbucks.

I'm really hoping there are a lot of nervous bastards at some union busting law firms right now, I missed seeing that this was retroactive.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

SpeedFreek posted:

I'm really hoping there are a lot of nervous bastards at some union busting law firms right now, I missed seeing that this was retroactive.

People at law firms get paid to deal with this and they probably aren't too upset by this

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Actually, they probably mostly take it very personally and are upset by it so I cede the point

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have it on good authority that upon reading that tweet at least one lawyer placed his hat on the floor and jumped up and down on it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SpeedFreek posted:

Oh no, all those billable hours.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Francis "The Bitcoin Mayor" Suarez officially becomes the first person to drop out of the Presidential race.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1696569027202531621

Nothing highlights your idiotic grift attempt like being last in, first out.

Carew posted:

Another example of this is One Piece which weirdly has liberatory politics from a more leftish perspective. When chud fans are confronted with this they contort their brains to come up with the stupidest poo poo possible to explain how uh actually it's just a generic, completely apolitical good guy vs bad guy story bereft of any social or political commentary or that it's actually libertarian/conservative.

I just don't see how a story where they system sucks, Cops are the bad guys, and anti-authoritarian revolutionaries are one of the good guys could possibly be saying anything.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gyges posted:

Nothing highlights your idiotic grift attempt like being last in, first out.

I just don't see how a story where they system sucks, Cops are the bad guys, and anti-authoritarian revolutionaries are one of the good guys could possibly be saying anything.

"The system sucks, cops are the bad guys, and anti-authoritarian revolutionaries are one of the good guys" could just as easily fit into right-wing narratives as it does into left-wing narratives.

Those kinds of stories tend to be fairly ideologically neutral (aside from a distinctly libertarian streak), because the evil government and the mean cops don't have any actual policies beyond "be cartoonishly evil so the kids know you're the bad guys", and the roving bands of anti-government bandits don't usually have any kind of political program beyond "don't beat the poo poo out of helpless people within my line of sight". The good guys beat the poo poo out of the bad guys, and then immediately leave rather than sticking around to help people.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Steve Scalise has been diagnosed with non-testicular cancer.

https://www.axios.com/2023/08/29/steve-scalise-multiple-myeloma-blood-cancer

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

...is it becauase he's majority whip, but loving sucks at his job and has no balls so the lunatic fringe runs roughshod over the rest of the caucus?

EDIT: I am very tired, and thus need the joke explained.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Twincityhacker posted:

...is it becauase he's majority whip, but loving sucks at his job and has no balls so the lunatic fringe runs roughshod over the rest of the caucus?

He got his balls shot off. Also the other stuff you said.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Twincityhacker posted:

He literally got his nuts shot off several years ago when a lunatic attacked the Congressional baseball game.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Sometimes fascists get their balls shot off by lunatics. I’m not saying it’s good, but really, Steve should have known the risk he was taking.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s just all grifts now. I saw that Don Jr was trying to tell Trump supporters on social media to only buy authorized Trump merch from the family directly because ‘there are grifters out there and we want to make sure that the money goes to the cause’

Yeah, Trump supporters would never want to get mixed up with a grifter or a con man.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Actually, they probably mostly take it very personally and are upset by it so I cede the point

Only if it is Littler Mendelson. They are the only true believer business owner Uber alles lawyers I know of

Everyone else is just billing hours

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That guy literally got his balls cut off by a gun and then went on to talk about his good guns were.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You're talking about the Atlas Comics run, which was written by Stan Lee and to-be Marvel stalwart artist John Romita. The "Captain America, Commie Smasher" comics didn't do very, with superhero comics of the '40s failing in general to compete against war comics, westerns, and horror/suspense fare. After Wertham's "Seduction of the Innocent" destroyed the comics industry, which caused the Comics Code Authority by publishers to come about to self-censor books, Atlas collapsed and reformed as Marvel. Stan Lee retconned Captain America from his post-war anti-communist adventures, with his backstory having him frozen in a state of suspended animation following stopping a German superbomb, which also killed his partner Bucky Barnes.

The anti-communist Cap and Bucky were later retconned in "What If? Captain America Were Revived Today?" where they were given a derivative of the Super Soldier Serum, but it made them emotionally-unstable that they got kept in suspended animation. One of the fascist villains of Captain America revives them to fight communism, but also upend the civil rights and student movements and install a fascist dictatorship in America. In the 1980s, Steve Rogers is found and revived later by rogue and marginalized Navy personnel, which is where the famous imposter fight and "The American Flag is a rag" speech comes from.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Main Paineframe posted:

"The system sucks, cops are the bad guys, and anti-authoritarian revolutionaries are one of the good guys" could just as easily fit into right-wing narratives as it does into left-wing narratives.

Those kinds of stories tend to be fairly ideologically neutral (aside from a distinctly libertarian streak), because the evil government and the mean cops don't have any actual policies beyond "be cartoonishly evil so the kids know you're the bad guys", and the roving bands of anti-government bandits don't usually have any kind of political program beyond "don't beat the poo poo out of helpless people within my line of sight". The good guys beat the poo poo out of the bad guys, and then immediately leave rather than sticking around to help people.

Kinda funny given there's attention occasionally noted to how the protagonists of One Piece generally aren't heroes and don't necessarily want to be, but they're pretty nice people (sometimes even to the people they're beating up) and tend to make friends ridiculously easily (even with the abovementioned people they're beating up) so as soon as someone starts being a jerk they usually end up pulled into beating seven shades of poo poo out of the bad guys responsible anyway. The dedicated anti-government revolutionaries are led by the protagonist's father, and they have their own thing going on.

It also has the highest echelon of the ruling class be comically evil, monstrous people whose hereditary privilege has them engaging in horrific cruelty, hedonism and slavery (despite slavery being outlawed in theory) while being protected by immediate and brutal retaliation by the sea cops.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Ah, that make sense re: lack of balls.

Also means that he's probably has gotten, or is getting, "gender affirming care" because his body only produces small amounts of testosterone now - but HRT is fine when *cis* people do it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

zoux posted:

That's good, but will it hold up in court? Don't they usually frown on retroactive laws/rulings?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

That's good, but will it hold up in court? Don't they usually frown on retroactive laws/rulings?
Chevron Deference should hold the line

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Charlz Guybon posted:

Disclaimer: This specific type of labor law is not my area of expertise, but based on how the law works in other areas...

Yes, they do frown on that. However, it is much less of a reach legally because they are essentially defining "punishment" for doing something that is already against the law. It only kicks in once the employer has been found to be improperly influencing the results of a union election or violating rights.

Previously, they would get fined, have to hold a new election, and the employer would have to pay for the new election. It was annoying and moderately expensive, but potentially much less expensive than unionization would be and it was hard to enforce, so there were incentives to take the risk.

Now, they are essentially getting "punished" with the thing they were trying to prevent. It's possible that this could be challenged and a court could decide that this wasn't authorized specifically in the law or that the punishment was excessive and retroactive, but it isn't a 100% slam dunk court loss like a bill of attainder or a law retroactively criminalizing something that was previously legal would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gyges posted:

One thing I've noticed during my years of being entirely too online is that everybody thinks that they are the plucky underdog rebel.
You can be the motherfucker in Stormtrooper armor with your boot on the neck of everyone else, and still be telling yourself "Yeah, I'm sticking it to the Empire."