Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

gamera009 posted:

Not sure where you are, but purple and royal wolf patterns kill it out here. Everything from small creek trout to bigger stuff on the Colorado and Yampa seem to love them.

I’m half joking. They’re just not automatic like they used to be. Definitely seen cruisers in lakes refuse them, which didn’t used to happen. It’s a comically popular pattern in CO.

I still keep a lot of them in my box, and fish them a fair amount. They’re just not my first option anymore when picking a terrestrial.

Honestly, I’ve been digging throwing a dressed up Chernobyl ant lately. Back to basics.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.
Recently put together my first fly rig. I've been having a blast struggling to learn and making every beginner mistake possible, now up to about 5 knots in my leader.

Yesterday was my fourth time out with it, went for a quick paddle to a slow bend just upriver from a small dam. It's a heavily pressured area, usually takes some careful finesse fishing to snag a few warmouth or smallies.

There was absolutely zero wind so I was able to float in circles and work on casting. I've previously not caught a single fish on top water, but noticed bass rising to the surface and grabbing the smallest insects. Decided to try a foam ant and a frog popper and work them way slower than usual.

Had an absolute blast fishing well after dark, ending up catching 17 sunfish and one largemouth, all dinks except a few larger red breast sunfish. Ridiculously satisfying seeing them slam a popper on the surface.

Here's a few dinks. Really need to improve my pictures, might start taking a chest mounted GoPro out on the river.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

waffle enthusiast posted:

I’m half joking. They’re just not automatic like they used to be. Definitely seen cruisers in lakes refuse them, which didn’t used to happen. It’s a comically popular pattern in CO.

I still keep a lot of them in my box, and fish them a fair amount. They’re just not my first option anymore when picking a terrestrial.

Honestly, I’ve been digging throwing a dressed up Chernobyl ant lately. Back to basics.

When dries are getting a lot of action, pretty much every caddis or renegade gets action if I’m presenting well. Plenty of action on smaller tricos as well. I have yet to get skunked on a dry dropper of some kind of caddis and a zebra midge under it.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

gamera009 posted:

When dries are getting a lot of action, pretty much every caddis or renegade gets action if I’m presenting well. Plenty of action on smaller tricos as well. I have yet to get skunked on a dry dropper of some kind of caddis and a zebra midge under it.

I don't know why but I just do not have luck with most adult caddis patterns. Probably because <gestures toward the South Platte>. Though I'm about to tie up some Tom's Eck Caddis to see how they do out here. But yeah, aside from perdigons, which are cheat mode right now, a bead-head zebra is 100% my go to "not sure what to throw here" nymph. It's also a fantastic "chironomid" for alpine lakes.

What do you like for a caddis nymph? Just a buckskin?

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
I took my son out on a charter today on the St. Clair River for his birthday and we both caught our first sturgeons ever. His was 60” and mine was 57”. We can both check off that bucket list fish now. Amazing experience.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

goddamn

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Had a gator swipe at my frog fishing out of the kayak today

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Southern Cassowary posted:

Had a gator swipe at my frog fishing out of the kayak today

See, this is why I only allow my frog to fish from the shore.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I was the only one to catch anything until the evening because of the much looked down upon secret technique of "nightcrawlers and a bobber"

Is there an actual reason why people look down on this? It catches fish, I'm there to catch fish, why would I not use the technique that catches fish?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Captain Toasted posted:

Is there an actual reason why people look down on this? It catches fish, I'm there to catch fish, why would I not use the technique that catches fish?

Typically they swallow the hook with bait and more gut hooks happen and that’s bad for catch and release.
That’s the only real reason others are just snobs.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Captain Toasted posted:

The most stated reason is "bass fishing takes skill unlike what you are doing"

Can't get it through their tough rear end heads that with it being so abysmally hot anything you throw that's large or moves too much is unlikely to get a hit in a lake that maxes out at 7ft deep. The nightcrawler is catching literally everything in the lake from 5lb channel cats to 4lb bass. They just don't like putting away the knowledge that googan squad has imparted upon them from *checks notes* fishing stocked ponds in Florida or whatever

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Fishermen who look down on live bait in general are just weirdos. I love live bait. I love artificial. There are pros and cons to both. At the end of the day people are fishing to have fun. Have fun.

I dislike poaching. I also dislike fuckers who snag paddlefish and the states that allow them to be kept. I wish eternal damnation on the folks who put all these invasive carp in my local lakes.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I went surf fishing this weekend for the first time in months. I only ended up catching one small fluke (flounder). I hooked him in a really odd, really bad way. Like almost through the head. The thing is, it was under the size limit to keep so I threw him back and I'm not sure he would make it. So it got me wondering, are there exceptions to size limit rules if a fish is mortally wounded? Because I would have kept it if I didn't face the possibility of getting in trouble. It would have been better than letting it die.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

No because then you'd have folks wounding little fish intentionally so they could keep them.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Charliegrs posted:

I went surf fishing this weekend for the first time in months. I only ended up catching one small fluke (flounder). I hooked him in a really odd, really bad way. Like almost through the head. The thing is, it was under the size limit to keep so I threw him back and I'm not sure he would make it. So it got me wondering, are there exceptions to size limit rules if a fish is mortally wounded? Because I would have kept it if I didn't face the possibility of getting in trouble. It would have been better than letting it die.

Something else in the ocean will eat it

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
All very good points. And yeah, it will definitely end up as crab or shark food.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I got two 110 whopper ploppers to take into the Boundary Waters tomorrow. I'm wondering if I should use a fluoro or wire leader or maybe nothing at all? I have a 8# fluoro leader tied to 10# braid right now. We usually just fish for walleye so the line is setup to do that, but I'd like to give these a shot. Mainly I just don't want a pike to bite it off immediately. If a huge one gets on and then the line snaps, while that would suck, it would at least be an honorable death for the lure.

We've never been up there in August. Should we get leeches for walleye or is it crawler time? Any other August advice?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

I got two 110 whopper ploppers to take into the Boundary Waters tomorrow. I'm wondering if I should use a fluoro or wire leader or maybe nothing at all? I have a 8# fluoro leader tied to 10# braid right now. We usually just fish for walleye so the line is setup to do that, but I'd like to give these a shot. Mainly I just don't want a pike to bite it off immediately. If a huge one gets on and then the line snaps, while that would suck, it would at least be an honorable death for the lure.

We've never been up there in August. Should we get leeches for walleye or is it crawler time? Any other August advice?

Any line that sinks is going to mess with the action a bit but if its just leader it will probably be fine. I would suggest the fluoro. If you need wire you probably don't even need the whopper blopper and could use a cheaper more disposable top water.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
The best advice I've ever been giving about fishing is "use what you are comfortable with, fish are dumb."

The second part is mostly untrue, but... they're still pretty dumb.

You can spend 8 million years rigging up the perfect setup or spend 15mins going with what you know and what is easy to you.

You ain't fishing for the sake of the fish's enjoyment.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

waffle enthusiast posted:

I don't know why but I just do not have luck with most adult caddis patterns. Probably because <gestures toward the South Platte>. Though I'm about to tie up some Tom's Eck Caddis to see how they do out here. But yeah, aside from perdigons, which are cheat mode right now, a bead-head zebra is 100% my go to "not sure what to throw here" nymph. It's also a fantastic "chironomid" for alpine lakes.

What do you like for a caddis nymph? Just a buckskin?

That or a simple free floating caddis pattern. Emergers also work well for me on a dry/drop.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

gator's still there and chased my frog again

went to the other side of the lake and used senkos lol

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Southern Cassowary posted:

gator's still there and chased my frog again

went to the other side of the lake and used senkos lol

When life gives you gators…. What’s a permit cost for them?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Crab Dad posted:

When life gives you gators…. What’s a permit cost for them?

it's a little one, probably 2-3 feet

there was a five or six footer that would hang out there a couple of years ago. haven't seen an adult yet thankfully.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

The most stated reason is "bass fishing takes skill unlike what you are doing"

I've caught more and bigger bass on live bait than all lures combined. Now the one that baffles me is why social networks keep throwing reels (:v:) of people carp fishing at me. Every carp fishing video in existence is underwater cam of the carp tapping the bait and immediately spitting it. Carp fishermen love posting videos of themselves not catching fish.

Also I found out today that it is illegal going forward to catch mullet for bait until they reopen the fishery. I expect riots in the street.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

if i wanted to hunt giant bass and not just relax on the kayak and occasionally catch things i'd go buy golden shiners

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Are there any UK fisherfolk in here? I'm looking at getting into angling and considering starting out with a simple whip setup - the clubs near me don't seem to do any beginners events (though I'd probably still need to join in order to get access to the stretches of riverbank I'd like to try) and I don't know anyone else who fishes so it's looking like I might have to rely on YouTube videos and experimentation to figure out what I'm doing.

From what I gather it seems like fishing in the UK is a lot more restricted than it is in the US, at least in terms of freshwater - seems like catch and release is mandatory most places, which is a shame as I like the idea of eating what I catch, although I understand why it's necessary.

Owlkill fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 23, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Owlkill posted:

Are there any UK fisherfolk in here? I'm looking at getting into angling and considering starting out with a simple whip setup - the clubs near me don't seem to do any beginners events (though I'd probably still need to join in order to get access to the stretches of riverbank I'd like to try) and I don't know anyone else who fishes so it's looking like I might have to rely on YouTube videos and experimentation to figure out what I'm doing.

Ain’t the big target carp? Just toss some canned corn in the water and then a small hooked one.
Be sure to leave it dead on the bank. All the other fishermen will appreciate this.

J/K don’t do any of this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I always found a clump of clover thrown on a hook would catch a carp while sight fishing for them 100% of the time.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
what is it like to be able to see a fish in the water you're fishing?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Sarah Cenia posted:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Sarah Cenia posted:

It's cool until they see you and don't bite a drat thing you throw at them

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
So I've been experimenting with fishing this summer. Had some OK success. 95% of what I have caught have been like .5 - 1.5lb bass on Texas rigged plastic worms. 0/2 and 0/3 offset hooks. The shallow ponds\lakes I have access to should also have Crappie and pan fish. I did catch a couple pan fish on bobber\small hook\balled up hot dog bun bait lol. What I really like about the Texas rigged setup is that it doesn't get snagged in our very "grassy?" ponds so I can keep casting and reeling, casting and reeling. Is there a weedless small bait setup anyone would recommend for shallow, grassy ponds to catch fish other than bass?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Charlie Brewer slider jigs with a 2 inch soft plastic is weedless and will catch any kind of fish in the water. Chatterbait flashback mini with a similar size plastic works well for me if you want something a bit more active.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Richard Gene talks about supergluing a strand of heavy mono on a small jig as a weed guard, that might be worth a look.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

I've been having a blast struggling to learn and making every beginner mistake possible, now up to about 5 knots in my leader.

this is the way

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
My buddy lucked into another boat, this time it's a small Jon boat with a decent outboard on it. Help me convince him we need to put the motor on the pond prowler.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

My buddy lucked into another boat, this time it's a small Jon boat with a decent outboard on it. Help me convince him we need to put the motor on the pond prowler.

More details.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

It's a 6hp mercury outboard, and it's options are a tippy 14ft Jon boat or a super stable 10ft pond prowler.

By itself the motor cost more than we paid for the whole boat, including a nice net and like 5 decent knives we found with the life vests.

The pond prowler already has a nice 40lb trolling motor and marine battery, so putting the outboard on it feels like a no brainer for being able to jet around lakes like big boys while still having the ability to slide through areas quietly.

He wants to have two separate boats though, for no stated reason, because between the two of us we only have one vehicle that can tow.

I want to make wakes with a pond prowler

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

My buddy lucked into another boat

the monkey paw curls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

finally broke my streak of being skunked other than being chased by alligators tonight with two bass

one was the usual dink and the other one was a nice 3-4 pounder

mostly attributing this to the weather being low 80s tonight rather than 90s