Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

A Festivus Miracle posted:

If your autoloader on your T-72 explodes, does the crew end up hamburger or is it a survivable event for the crew? I know the Abrams is specifically designed so that an explosion like (hopefully) doesn't reduce the crew to charred gristle but I'm not versed on the survivability features of a T-72.

You are turned into paste or very boney marinara.

Surviving a tank explosion makes you a kulak so it's not allowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

If your autoloader on your T-72 explodes, does the crew end up hamburger or is it a survivable event for the crew?

It's an explosion powerful enough to throw a 17 ton piece of metal incredibly high in the air, and it initially fills up a small enclosed space that the crew occupies. Everyone is going to be dead as gently caress (barring some kind of freak occurrence like someone getting lifted out of an open hatch they were half out of, in which case they would only get burned badly).

E: to clarify: in which case they MIGHT only get burned badly.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 29, 2023

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

So Russia seems to have no actual plan for even if they hold the second line?

Are they going to try to attack at some point again?

I don't think Russia ever had a plan for anything in Ukraine other than Putin making war noises for 3 days and all of Eastern Europe surrendering.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Vampire Panties posted:

Yes and no. The underlying game engine is really complex and (at least somewhat) accurately models the physics underneath. For example, if you shoot a wing off a plane, its not hit points and damage, the game is modeling your 20mm shell hitting the wing spar and calculating how much force it can take. (:ssh: its still hit points but with extra steps :ssh:) The way the game works sorta/kinda supposedly simulates real life warfare (insomuch that a tiny bush 2km away can wreck your poo poo) but the actual format of the game is basically counterstrike - 2 opposing teams, specific goals, limited respawns. At the highest graphics settings the game models are basically photorealistic, and the game will run well on a variety of hardware, and (AFAIK) its the easiest :airquote: sim :airquote: multiplayer aircraft game you can get into.

The bad side is the game's economic structure and pay-to-win vehicles coupled with the round-based nature and individual goals makes the player base salty as hell. Imagine if a LoL player could post a technical manual on why Amumu has armor piercing rounds (dont @ me I know nothing about LoL and had to google a character name)

I like to imagine that patch notes are actively trolling for Top Secret info at this point. "New yankee plane turn speed reduced by 15% because it is poopy plane made of waif underwear. Open to revising if presented evidence."

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Due to War Thunders devs mostly relying on official documentation for all of their vehicles, that is exactly what's happening.

Wasn't a problem when it was a WW2 game, but now...

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Sashimi posted:

I think its simcade, like Gran Turismo or Forza are compared to racing sims like Assetto Corsa or iRacing.

If War Thunder was a sim on the same level as DCS you'd need to read every page of a several hundred page manual to fly jets.

luckily their forums got you covered on the documentation front

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

If your autoloader on your T-72 explodes, does the crew end up hamburger or is it a survivable event for the crew? I know the Abrams is specifically designed so that an explosion like (hopefully) doesn't reduce the crew to charred gristle but I'm not versed on the survivability features of a T-72.

Figure 4 is autoloader so if it goes, everything else goes:

On the other hand, autoloader carousel is pretty deep inside the hull so if anything penetrates that far crew is pretty much hosed, ammo detonation or not. Ammo exploding just makes identifying remains harder. Or easier.
Also, Leopards (both 1 and 2) also have ammo storage in the front hull so if that goes boom, tank and crew go boom as well.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

PinheadSlim posted:

Due to War Thunders devs mostly relying on official documentation for all of their vehicles, that is exactly what's happening.

Wasn't a problem when it was a WW2 game, but now...

The World of Tanks developers also talked about that. World of Tanks is a game where the most modern tanks are from the early Cold War era, so it's largely all declassified stuff, and it's much more arcadey than War Thunder, so they can just wing a lot of the stuff. That's not to say they do: they employ a full department of researchers who basically live in national archives, researching stuff for the developers.

A year or so ago they released World of Tanks: Modern Armour on the consoles, which includes things like the M1 Abrams and the T-72BU (also known as the T-90), and when I got the chance to interview the devs I asked how this changed their process.

They laughed it off by saying that yeah it's pretty different, because for the older stuff you could just go to the archives to read anything and everything about the Tiger II or whatever, but for some reason countries aren't too thrilled if someone asks them for a copy of their modern tank's schematics and details, so they're basically not even trying and instead just making it up.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Toxic Mental posted:

I mean don't get me wrong, he's not a bad guy at all, I think we agree on most stuff overall, just not the "we should put all Republican voters against the wall" stuff might be a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle overboard.

Just change "voters" to "politicians" and I think we can make a deal.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

The ammunition is right below you, it will explode upwards, you will not survive if you are still there.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

The Locator posted:

Just change "voters" to "politicians" and I think we can make a deal.

Aww mum. Do we have to?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Shout out to the BI devs that got arrested in Greece while collecting reference material for Arma 3.

Don't take photos near military installations.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I didn't know abrams and lep had a crew of four, is the fourth the loader I presume

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sashimi posted:

The article said its possible there have been no crew losses.

Regardless, that's very low casualties for their MBTs considering they're attacking dense, prepared fortifications with extensive minefields.

*FSB intern with a copy of photoshop* Safely evacuated? No, crew losses!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I didn't know abrams and lep had a crew of four, is the fourth the loader I presume

Yes, The Abrams, Challenger, and Leopard all retain a manual human loader.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 29, 2023

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Switzerland to deliver 1 (one) remote-controlled demining machine to Ukraine.

https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/documentation/media-releases.msg-id-97529.html

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

beer_war posted:

https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/documentation/media-releases.msg-id-97529.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Jimlit posted:

I can't imagine the onion of delusion you would have to build yourself to assume that kind of risk, but I guess clout is king.

Also, if it was DCS the devs would have stolen the manual themselves (and the module would be awesome).

Most people aren't really aware that what they have is classified tbh.

It's a big scare word but most/all of the poo poo that's leaked has been on the same level of 'classified' as a guy in the service posting where his new duty station is. It's, in the US parlance, literally 'Controlled Unclassified Information'.
It's stuff that's reasonably deemed to not have a serious security risk if its released to the public, but still isn't actually cleared for it because it hasn't gone through the declassification process.

The Eurofighter manual that got 'leaked' is for a specific and now decommissioned developmental aircraft variant for the Italians, and has apparently been freely downloadable on the internet for years, apparently. The guy who posted it is probably just some rando plane nerd who found it and went 'omg this plane is cool, I wonder if they'll add it to my favorite game War Thunder? :kiddo:'

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

beer_war posted:

Switzerland? That's a huge plus, but also a red flag.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Disco Pope posted:

:golfclap:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

Oh sweet zombie jesus! :kiss:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

Gas this thread

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Disco Pope posted:

Lordy

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Disco Pope posted:

:dadjoke: we're done here, folks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Disco Pope posted:

bahahahhahaha

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

So you're saying on balance it's neutral?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Disco Pope posted:

:hmmyes:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

Lol.

...but are we absolutely certain that UAF is allowed to use this demining vehicle to remove Russian mines, not just their own? And use it somewhere else than on parades and while training with dummies?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Disco Pope posted:

:perfect:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Der Kyhe posted:

Lol.

...but are we absolutely certain that UAF is allowed to use this demining vehicle to remove Russian mines, not just their own? And use it somewhere else than on parades and while training with dummies?
I dunno seems like this would be pretty mean to russian mines and could violate the neutrality principles

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Unless the crew escapes before it happened, your odds of surviving a turret toss are virtually nonexistent

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Disco Pope posted:

:pusheen:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

I'm completely speechless. :blyat:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

beer_war posted:

:lol:

Russia broke Swiss neutrality lmao

Even the loving Nazis didn't do that

Disco Pope posted:

:hmmyes:

Goldmine

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

:vince:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gervasius posted:

On the other hand, autoloader carousel is pretty deep inside the hull so if anything penetrates that far crew is pretty much hosed, ammo detonation or not. Ammo exploding just makes identifying remains harder. Or easier.

The lower strake of the side armor on a T-72 is 20mm of rolled steel at 60 degrees. 30mm can get through that, and so can the 25mm on a Bradley. What's behind it? The fuel tank. On top of that is the ammo.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

TulliusCicero posted:

Russia broke Swiss neutrality lmao

Even the loving Nazis didn't do that

Tbf its not like Russia has a lot of shiny gold to keep the Swiss sweet

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

ishikabibble posted:

Most people aren't really aware that what they have is classified tbh.

It's a big scare word but most/all of the poo poo that's leaked has been on the same level of 'classified' as a guy in the service posting where his new duty station is. It's, in the US parlance, literally 'Controlled Unclassified Information'.
It's stuff that's reasonably deemed to not have a serious security risk if its released to the public, but still isn't actually cleared for it because it hasn't gone through the declassification process.

The Eurofighter manual that got 'leaked' is for a specific and now decommissioned developmental aircraft variant for the Italians, and has apparently been freely downloadable on the internet for years, apparently. The guy who posted it is probably just some rando plane nerd who found it and went 'omg this plane is cool, I wonder if they'll add it to my favorite game War Thunder? :kiddo:'

They've expanded to include planes such as the Su-24 and F-14 and IIRC they just introduced the F-16. It seems very likely they'll be adding all modern fighting vehicles within the next few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Disco Pope posted:

:mods:

This has to be a thread title somewhere- if not here, then on, I dunno, the GBS Switzerland thread or something.