Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i too know about porsche dynamics from my time in forza motorsport 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've lost focus on what OP is supposed to be getting

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
No love for the Giulia Quadrifoglio?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

In the "tell me which car to buy" thread?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

knox_harrington posted:

In the "tell me which car to buy" thread?

I'd get one if I had 6 figures to burn and wanted a sports sedan.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

davecrazy posted:

I'd get one if I had 6 figures to burn and wanted a sports sedan.

If any car is deserving of the Porsche thread title it's the QV. Except you need to be able to afford 3 if you keep it out of warranty.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If any car is deserving of the Porsche thread title it's the QV. Except you need to be able to afford 3 if you keep it out of warranty.

They're cheaper then ever! My local dealer has a green one and they're taking 10k off the MSRP to start. I drive past the dealer every day and its tempting to just drop in and take it for a drive, but then I'll do something dumb and wind up buying it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23145269/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-reliability-update/

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Yeah but I live very close to the dealership so I could easily catch an Uber to and from while I wait for them to fix it.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I cursed myself by posting. My car has a leak somewhere and a bunch of water dumped into the passenger side area after a storm. If I can’t get it patched up cheap, guess I’m going car shopping sooner than expected.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Omerta posted:

I cursed myself by posting. My car has a leak somewhere and a bunch of water dumped into the passenger side area after a storm. If I can’t get it patched up cheap, guess I’m going car shopping sooner than expected.

I thought of one more worth looking at- Lexus IS500. The markup craze on these has mostly ended.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Omerta posted:

That's often clogged sunroof drains, I've had to clean them out on two cars. You can usually find a youtube video or guide on it for your car, but a mechanic will often be able to just blast it out with compressed air or something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Omerta posted:

You're not planning on parking whatever you're buying outside, are you?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i wonder what the value of your car needs to be to the point of having it sit out in weather might depreciate it more than the actual cost of building an entire garage for it. i figure you get pretty close with a 911

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ethanol posted:

i wonder what the value of your car needs to be to the point of having it sit out in weather might depreciate it more than the actual cost of building an entire garage for it. i figure you get pretty close with a 911

It's not about depreciation, it's about maintenance burden and cleaning. Like this exact example from the poster about having the floor flooded, likely from a clogged sunroof or hvac drain.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cars that live outside live a pretty hard life for sure. My street parked car goes through rotors and pads in about four years because every winter the snowplow blasts salty slush on to them repeatedly. There is a bunch of surface corrosion already on various parts after five years. There are random leaves and sticks in various nooks and crannies on the cowl and in the rear hatch and it requires somewhat constant cleaning.

In hot climates you get sun fading of paint, heat damage for interiors, various rubber and plastic components, etc.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I’m amazed at how many people keep their cars outside where I live. Northern high desert - weeks of triple digits in the summer, snow in the winter. And most people have a 3 car garage but they just fill it with junk. Like I’m sure keeping those 3 old box springs in there is worth your S6 living in the driveway 365. Meanwhile I’m sad my e150 van won’t fit (too long) with our other 2 cars.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So you're saying my Aston shouldn't be living in my driveway 24/7?

I have a small 1 car garage garage without power and it's a pain in the rear end so everything lives outside except during the winter, the Aston and the motorcycle get to hide from the snow

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

KillHour posted:

So you're saying my Aston shouldn't be living in my driveway 24/7?
Okay this question is so un-BFC that it wraps around to being BFC again, but do we have a thread for people that own awesome / rare cars so we can ask things like “what does it really cost to live with an Aston and is it worth it?”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Okay this question is so un-BFC that it wraps around to being BFC again, but do we have a thread for people that own awesome / rare cars so we can ask things like “what does it really cost to live with an Aston and is it worth it?”

we have a whole forum for people to talk about car stuff

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

we have a whole forum for people to talk about car stuff

*flicks cigarette at u*

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
It’s actually extremely normal for cars to live outside and most of them do. It’s a very weird rich person brain to build a house for your car (though I do wish I had a garage for non-car stuff).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s nice not getting snow and ice all over you car overnight

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thufir posted:

It’s actually extremely normal for cars to live outside and most of them do. It’s a very weird rich person brain to build a house for your car (though I do wish I had a garage for non-car stuff).

Most cars are little more than appliances, and that's not the kind of car we're talking about here.

Also, people who live in places that have actual weather do in fact very often use garages.

Also, lol at "taking care of your expensive stuff" being "rich person brain".

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

But if the car goes inside, where does all the junk go?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Explosionface posted:

But if the car goes inside, where does all the junk go?

Someone is paying rent at all those self storage places you drive past. I live in TX where we don't have basements and there are more self storage places near me than gas stations and grocery stores combined. I'm guessing basement havers store their junk in the basement.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Motronic posted:

Most cars are little more than appliances, and that's not the kind of car we're talking about here.

Also, people who live in places that have actual weather do in fact very often use garages.

Also, lol at "taking care of your expensive stuff" being "rich person brain".

Especially if you already have a garage and the options are fill with worthless crap or fill with expensive tools and appliances.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A garage is very expensive storage space, and keeping your poo poo in your garage and your car outside is very funny.

Just have less stuff.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Motronic posted:

You're not planning on parking whatever you're buying outside, are you?

My vacation house doesn’t have a garage. We’ll probably put a carport or something up eventually, but it’s not a high priority.

Rexxed posted:

That's often clogged sunroof drains, I've had to clean them out on two cars. You can usually find a youtube video or guide on it for your car, but a mechanic will often be able to just blast it out with compressed air or something.

Yep, that was the first thing I checked.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Very expensive cars tend to be also very fragile. Both because they focus their materials and design complexity on perceived luxury over durability, and because the small build quantities lead to more inconsistency in construction.

You can get a BMW or Audi or even Genesis with a full leather dash and it will probably last forever. The leather dash in my Aston shrunk and pulled off and had to be redone because the superior British adhesives were applied by a drunk man in Warwickshire.

I have a sun reflector for my windshield now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Interesting because the leather dash on my bmw shrunk and pulled off

Debating if I should go get some shoe polish to cover up the yellow-white foam that's peaking out on the windshield side or if that will gently caress up whatever repair

My guess is the detail guy used the wrong (read: for vinyl) shiny dash polish/wipe thing and then we proceeded to street park it in the sun for 6 months during the summer

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I don't have a garage up at my chalet so the Porsche lives outside when we're up there.

What a sentence.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Interesting because the leather dash on my bmw shrunk and pulled off

Debating if I should go get some shoe polish to cover up the yellow-white foam that's peaking out on the windshield side or if that will gently caress up whatever repair

My guess is the detail guy used the wrong (read: for vinyl) shiny dash polish/wipe thing and then we proceeded to street park it in the sun for 6 months during the summer

What year model is it? This was on a 2016.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

2017 or 18 maybe

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Are you saying you don’t know the model year of your own car?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The dealership vibe has definitely changed since 2020. It’s obvious why, just interesting to witness first hand. Back then they were quick to offer avenues to make a deal, now they were fine with us walking out to think things over.

I posted about this a few weeks ago - our lease on a 2021 VW Atlas is up at year end. Residual is $25k and they quoted $4k of equity. Lease for newer models start at $150 more per month with that equity factored in. Main test drive difference was the updated infotainment system, which is now all one touch screen instead of the dials in the 2021. We prefer the old style.

Any other models we should consider? We need an around town kid hauler with the occasional long trip thrown in. Priority is safety. The size of the Atlas works well with the strollers and car seats so we want a similar sized vehicle.

Our leased car has 24k miles on it in 3 years, so we’re leaning towards just buying it out with help from our long term funds and hoping interest rates are lower in another few years.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Steve French posted:

Are you saying you don’t know the model year of your own car?

For our daily driver? Correct. I can't tell you what year I bought my toaster or blender, either

I know it wasn't originally from the rust belt

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

Our leased car has 24k miles on it in 3 years, so we’re leaning towards just buying it out with help from our long term funds and hoping interest rates are lower in another few years.

On the BFC side of things, why are you leasing a commodity CUV? I say this not as in your choice of vehicle, but in that leasing, unless you own a business and are able to write this off as opex, is rarely a good financial choice. This changes where lease incentives make it a better choice, but that's typically gonna mean going to the Audi dealership at the least.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Motronic posted:

On the BFC side of things, why are you leasing a commodity CUV? I say this not as in your choice of vehicle, but in that leasing, unless you own a business and are able to write this off as opex, is rarely a good financial choice. This changes where lease incentives make it a better choice, but that's typically gonna mean going to the Audi dealership at the least.

Fair question. 3 years ago it was because my better half grew up in a leasing family and was used to a new car every few years. I’d like to break the cycle, and she admitted we probably should have bought our current car instead of leasing it, so now might be a good time. KBB shows CPOs with 3x the miles going for $3k more than our residual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

Fair question. 3 years ago it was because my better half grew up in a leasing family and was used to a new car every few years. I’d like to break the cycle, and she admitted we probably should have bought our current car instead of leasing it, so now might be a good time. KBB shows CPOs with 3x the miles going for $3k more than our residual.

I'm glad you want to break this cycle, but I'm always confused by how frequently I hear this as someone's reason for leasing. Because buying vehicles gives you even MORE flexibility. You can sell it and buy a new vehicle every 3 years when you buy. You can sell it after a year. You can sell it after 10. You can have a commute change and not overpay your lease because you work from home now and aren't using the miles you are absolutely paying for anyway or overpay in penalties because you started driving 30k miles a year.