Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

CBD Corndog posted:

The PC game pass folder lockdown stuff stopped a while ago and you can just access game files like any other normal program now. I'd bet the incompatibility with an SKSE-like will probably come from any changes made to the actual EXE for game pass integration that changes memory addresses

The EXE of Gamepass games is itself still super drm’d heavily and locked down. Just the other files aren’t. Script extenders will never work with Gamepass versions. You will be able to mod the game, but not freely to the same degree as Steam and you will be limited eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Mr. Pool posted:

I can't wait to hit a Patrol ship with the "Dave Matthews Band"

ahahhhah

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

STARFIELD!!!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Chronojam posted:

Citing Pokemon, Monster Hunter, and Dragon Quest to prove people play RPGs for the story

It doesn't matter because all the sales numbers are bullshit anyway. You haven't been able to get meaningful sales data since before the digital era when retailers sold the data. That data is way too valuable for the companies that have it to sell it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

K8.0 posted:

It doesn't matter because all the sales numbers are bullshit anyway. You haven't been able to get meaningful sales data since before the digital era when retailers sold the data. That data is way too valuable for the companies that have it to sell it.

You're very right. I don't think a lot of stats sites even pretend to present how they guessed up numbers. Big companies often do announce figures to investors or during trade shows etc, at least.

Proving the point: the chart claiming The Elder Scrolls series has only sold 58m copies is insane because Bethesda announced a few months back during prerelease hype that Skyrim alone topped 60m copies.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Wait Pokemon is an RPG I thought it was a simulate game where you make animals violently fight for the enjoyment of a blood thirsty crowd.

I dunno, I never played it. I try and stay away from that sort of sick Nintendo filth.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

can i put a space pot on a space shop owners head while i rob his space shop in this?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

spaceblancmange posted:

can i put a space pot on a space shop owners head while i rob his space shop in this?

Space pots are banned in most places for this very reason, so you'll have to smuggle your own space pot in.

Orv
May 4, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Wait Pokemon is an RPG I thought it was a simulate game where you make animals violently fight for the enjoyment of a blood thirsty crowd.

I dunno, I never played it. I try and stay away from that sort of sick Nintendo filth.

You play a person generally trying to become the very best, you know the whole deal. On the way you talk to people, sometimes make some very light decisions depending on the game, gently caress with your inventory and generally improve your skills and abilities through Pokémon death matches. They’re RPGs

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chronojam posted:

Citing Pokemon, Monster Hunter, and Dragon Quest to prove people play RPGs for the story

i was more disputing the idea that bethesda games "massively outsell all other rpgs". also, final fantasy is absolutely a series that people play for the story and it sells in massive numbers, same with the witcher. ive never played pokemon or dragon quest so i cant speak to those and, yeah i wouldnt really count monster hunter as much of a story, but its pretty clear that story-based rpg's like final fantasy are just as popular if not moreso than elder scrolls games. and fallout didnt even make the top ten.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 30, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If we can’t get sales numbers, what was the original assertion about best-selling RPGs based on?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Subjunctive posted:

If we can’t get sales numbers, what was the original assertion about best-selling RPGs based on?

Impressions? People who hovered their mouse over the icon but then didn’t click it…anything they want to really.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

K8.0 posted:

Bethesda massively outsells all other RPGs

K8.0 posted:

It doesn't matter because all the sales numbers are bullshit anyway.

:confused:

kind of feel like you have to pick just one of these

Orv
May 4, 2011
K8.0 took the Hypocritical Oath

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Orv posted:

K8.0 took the Hypothetical Oath

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

2 days to early access for the real men

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

NBA 2k is an rpg

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Earwicker posted:

:confused:

kind of feel like you have to pick just one of these

No? You can't get sales data worth dick. However, you can get relative popularity from a number of sources, like player count data where exposed, search trends, number of posts in various places, etc. Compare the Google Trends for Skyrim and The Witcher, it isn't even remotely loving close - and TW3 was HUGE. Google indexes about twice as many reddit posts mentioning Skyrim as The Witcher, and there ain't a Skyrim TV series.

Anyone who thinks any individual RPG other than maybe some Pokemon games (which I will admit I overlooked) that you could combine have player counts that could best Skyrim is bizarrely disconnected from reality. It's probably the second most independently sold video game of all time behind GTA V.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The only good RPG is Final Fantasy X and that's because it has blitzball

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Skyrim was popular? Never knew

Orv
May 4, 2011
Obviously Steamcharts doesn’t tell the console side of the story but I feel compelled to point out that Skyrim’s top concurrency is 90k, versus Elden Ring’s very short of 1,000,000 and Baldur’s Gate 3’s just shy of 900,000.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

They got this voiced protagonist like fall out 4 or is that poo poo rightfully canned

Orv
May 4, 2011

flashman posted:

They got this voiced protagonist like fall out 4 or is that poo poo rightfully canned

Gone. Apparently they considered it early on so bullet dodged there.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Orv posted:

You play a person generally trying to become the very best, you know the whole deal....and generally improve your skills and abilities through Pokémon death matches.

Becoming the best at being terrible!

They should feel very bad about trying to be the best horrible person. :colbert:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Looks like the Eurogamer review copy issue is a UK-wide problem, so either Brexit messed something up or Microsoft has a bone to pick with the whole country

https://twitter.com/ManyATrueNerd/status/1696603495934136673
https://twitter.com/ManyATrueNerd/status/1696603502363939080

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Earwicker posted:

i was more disputing the idea that bethesda games "massively outsell all other rpgs". also, final fantasy is absolutely a series that people play for the story and it sells in massive numbers, same with the witcher. ive never played pokemon or dragon quest so i cant speak to those and, yeah i wouldnt really count monster hunter as much of a story, but its pretty clear that story-based rpg's like final fantasy are just as popular if not moreso than elder scrolls games. and fallout didnt even make the top ten.
We know that Skyrim crested 60m copies and ESO sold nearly 20m -- so we can't believe the entire franchise only sold 58m.

But when we're not sure that Fallout is at least Top Ten, not actually looking at all ten in your own list is naive because anybody reads on to see Fallout right there in the list.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Orv posted:

Obviously Steamcharts doesn’t tell the console side of the story but I feel compelled to point out that Skyrim’s top concurrency is 90k, versus Elden Ring’s very short of 1,000,000 and Baldur’s Gate 3’s just shy of 900,000.

Yeah but there is Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, and Skyrim VR. I also don't REALLY know how to read this:

https://steamdb.info/charts/?sort=peak

EDIT
We are absolutely spoiled for excellent games this year, dang. Both BG3 and Armored Core rule.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

dr_rat posted:

Going to assume there is at least going to be some drug to slow down time. Bethesda loves there drugs

:2bong:

Was just preloading and yeah the game is R18+ in Australia because of "Interactive drug use" so definitely going to be able to get high af

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Jabo, a UK streamer that mostly does Bethesda stuff, has a review copy.

So unless he fell through the cracks it's not a complete UK crackdown.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

hanyolo posted:

Was just preloading and yeah the game is R18+ in Australia because of "Interactive drug use" so definitely going to be able to get high af

Oh hell yeah, Steam preloading starting now baby!

and yeah there will absolutely be drug use to slow time probably, I'd always get a bullet time mod for Skyrim so my stealth archer could really get some rad shots in.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

Looks like the Eurogamer review copy issue is a UK-wide problem, so either Brexit messed something up or Microsoft has a bone to pick with the whole country

https://twitter.com/ManyATrueNerd/status/1696603495934136673
https://twitter.com/ManyATrueNerd/status/1696603502363939080

For a YouTuber

Orv
May 4, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Yeah but there is Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, and Skyrim VR. I also don't REALLY know how to read this:

https://steamdb.info/charts/?sort=peak

EDIT
We are absolutely spoiled for excellent games this year, dang. Both BG3 and Armored Core rule.

Interesting, I wonder what the discrepancy between charts and DB is. Point remains that it’s actually considerably less than the last couple huge RPG releases.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

kri kri posted:

For a YouTuber

Have some sympathy, he can't start playing his new game until up to 2 days later.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's hosed up for the YouTuber. Me, on the other hand? I'll be starting this bad boy up 5 days before most.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Orv posted:

Interesting, I wonder what the discrepancy between charts and DB is. Point remains that it’s actually considerably less than the last couple huge RPG releases.

When did Steam start keeping track of consecutive players on games? Times are different know (for the better, it rules that BG3 is both good and popular) but I'd be surprised if BG3 has sold more than any single edition of Skyrim on Steam, let alone PC itself. Maybe that's my own bias as an old man though, idk.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Orv posted:

Gone. Apparently they considered it early on so bullet dodged there.

Sick, should be good then

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Actually, I think you'll find that all Bethesda games where you don't spam click a bunch of hyperlinks to unlock all the dialogue are ontologically bad.
I'm not sure I'm joking at all

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Idgi

Orv
May 4, 2011

KakerMix posted:

When did Steam start keeping track of consecutive players on games? Times are different know (for the better, it rules that BG3 is both good and popular) but I'd be surprised if BG3 has sold more than any single edition of Skyrim on Steam, let alone PC itself. Maybe that's my own bias as an old man though, idk.

Prior to 2012 but I don’t know the specifics of charts/DBs analytics. I have no doubt Skyrim has outsold many things, it’s The Game non-gaming people know about. At the same time I think 200k vs 900k/1m is a meaningful data point for “sold large numbers overall” vs “has a lot of public impetus” especially for what could be considered markedly more niche RPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I dunno about numbers, but it feels like PC gaming has gotten way bigger in the 12 years since Skyrim released. I could see Steam not having a horde of players all at release back then (as opposed to console players), but I bet Skyrim has had one of the more consistent year to year player counts for such an old game.