Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

blue squares posted:

1. An LED light capable of providing many different colors, so I can do stuff like put a blue glow into the scene for fun creative effect. Needs to be placed off-camera, but being able to attach it could be a bonus

I bought this several years ago and it's been pretty solid for me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VCXPWVB

The only downside is how much it can output, you ain't gonna be lighting a studio with it. But adding some ambient light in a dim room for long exposures? It's great. It has a standard 1/4 tripod mount hole so it's easy to attach to anything.

I'm sure there's a zillion different options out there if you hunt around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

I bought this several years ago and it's been pretty solid for me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VCXPWVB

The only downside is how much it can output, you ain't gonna be lighting a studio with it. But adding some ambient light in a dim room for long exposures? It's great. It has a standard 1/4 tripod mount hole so it's easy to attach to anything.

I'm sure there's a zillion different options out there if you hunt around.

Thanks!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Anyone have experience with stabilizers for video recording? I’ve got some students that want to start making films, so I want to get them a decent stabilizer that won’t break the bank. What’s the best budget bang for your buck kind of deal?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What are they filming with? Assuming a camera with no built-in stabilization, putting anything on the camera and creating more contact points with your body and moving slowly and deliberately is going to do a lot. You can do this pretty well with just a camera strap around your neck and both hands holding the camera out to tighten the strap. You can add a tripod with two of the legs angled back against your hips for more stability. From there, they can look up YouTubes about how to do the "ninja walk" where you bend your knees and roll your feet to make the motion smoother. Any of the brackets or grips they make with universal tripod screws can be good too (link below). Basically anything that adds weight and contact points will go a long way to get rid of hand shake. I still shoot body only when I am traveling and don't have a full rig setup and can get 90% there. Stay away from any type of gimbal, powered or not. They will teach them bad habits and create terrible footage that looks worse than handheld with shake.

https://www.amazon.com/Stabilizer-S...ps%2C195&sr=8-4

I would advise them to stick to static shots first though, as it will be much easier to compose and shoot a scene without camera movements added in. Adding in restrictions like that can help jump start creativity a ton and with something as complicated as filmmaking, keeping the process as simple as possible will go a long way.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 29, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

blue squares posted:

1. An LED light capable of providing many different colors, so I can do stuff like put a blue glow into the scene for fun creative effect. Needs to be placed off-camera, but being able to attach it could be a bonus

A product photographer at my work came in with these neat little light bars that seem to fit your description. I can't remember what they're called; they were about a foot long and you could change the temperature/colour with a touchstrip - they were also magnetic so you could mount them together or to stuff like for example a guitar stand to backlight a guitar. I think they also had tripod mount threading on them, which means you could SmallRig them onto a camera. I think it was exactly this thing:

https://www.amazon.ca/Magnetic-Handheld-3200K-5600K-Full-Color-Photography/dp/B09P2QM985?th=1

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

What are they filming with? Assuming a camera with no built-in stabilization, putting anything on the camera and creating more contact points with your body and moving slowly and deliberately is going to do a lot. You can do this pretty well with just a camera strap around your neck and both hands holding the camera out to tighten the strap. You can add a tripod with two of the legs angled back against your hips for more stability. From there, they can look up YouTubes about how to do the "ninja walk" where you bend your knees and roll your feet to make the motion smoother. Any of the brackets or grips they make with universal tripod screws can be good too (link below). Basically anything that adds weight and contact points will go a long way to get rid of hand shake. I still shoot body only when I am traveling and don't have a full rig setup and can get 90% there. Stay away from any type of gimbal, powered or not. They will teach them bad habits and create terrible footage that looks worse than handheld with shake.

https://www.amazon.com/Stabilizer-S...ps%2C195&sr=8-4

I would advise them to stick to static shots first though, as it will be much easier to compose and shoot a scene without camera movements added in. Adding in restrictions like that can help jump start creativity a ton and with something as complicated as filmmaking, keeping the process as simple as possible will go a long way.

They'd mostly be filming with a Canon RP. We've got a bunch of lenses of various types, I honestly don't know poo poo about film so I guess we'll just mess around and see what works best. I've got a 24-105mm F/4 that's got image stabilization, I'd figure that would be versatile enough for most anything they'd want to do.

Thanks for the advice, though! I actually already have a grip almost identical to the linked one. I'll point them toward the ninja walk tutorials and have them practice if they want to jump into moving stuff.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh yeah, with that camera/lens/grip and a camera strap they should be able to get really smooth movement.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Looking for advice on variable ND filters and LED lights for still photography.

I am hoping to use the filters for some movement blur experiments and would appreciate recomendations at the low cost end.

The LED light should be light and small and illuminate outdoors at close range.

I've seen neewer has some good prices for both, any other suggestions?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I’ve never cleaned my own sensor. Which cleaning kits do y’all use?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've had such lovely luck with point and shoot film cameras. I'm wondering how I should guarantee success with my next purchase. I was thinking of maybe getting a Kodak Ektar H35 Half Frame Film Camera. Any other recommendations?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

huhu posted:

I've had such lovely luck with point and shoot film cameras. I'm wondering how I should guarantee success with my next purchase. I was thinking of maybe getting a Kodak Ektar H35 Half Frame Film Camera. Any other recommendations?

Skip the Kodak Ektar H35 and get something in the Pen EE series if you want half frame. It'll cost you the same or less for a much better camera.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

My go-to cheap point and shoot has been the Canon SureShot https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film153.html

I’ve been buying them for my wife as she breaks them, she’s on #2 going strong. first one was dropped and kept shooting until it fell apart some more. I found a third one for $10 in an auction that i’m keeping around.

I find the image quality better than the mju series. just as sharp in the centre, and sharper in the corners.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
So I'm looking for a portable tripod for video shooting. What I want is to be able to smoothly pan.

I've been told by one guy that I should be prepared to spend $1000 AUD on a Miller. He says manfrotto is worth skipping over.

Any advice or is this guy 100% wrong?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

the_lion posted:

So I'm looking for a portable tripod for video shooting. What I want is to be able to smoothly pan.

I've been told by one guy that I should be prepared to spend $1000 AUD on a Miller. He says manfrotto is worth skipping over.

Any advice or is this guy 100% wrong?

https://www.amazon.com/SmallRig-Fre...d0-5ec63b24bcb5

This is a super solid one that performs at least 2-3x its price point.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

the_lion posted:

I've been told by one guy that I should be prepared to spend $1000 AUD on a Miller.

I don't think you necessarily need to buy a Miller although they are good heads. I would go with Bottom Liner's suggestion.

quote:

He says manfrotto is worth skipping over.

Absolutely right about this one though, Manfrotto is terrible and not what they used to be 20 years ago.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The thing that I feel like really makes the difference in a fluid head is whether you can ease in/out of the move smoothly. Most of the cheaper heads I've used, even if they're well reviewed, can do a continuous motion OK but starting and stopping aren't great.

A Miller DS20 on their solo CF legs was my first good fluid head setup and I still use it for b-cam. Other than the drag settings being simple knobs vs numbers with stops I still really like it. It's super light for it's capacity and I still find it very useable if I've got it on something that my main head doesn't work with. They've been around for a while so I'd think you could find a used one for quite a bit less than $1000.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
To add to powerific's post, another big thing is bounce back. Cheaper heads will bounce back a little bit when you stop a pan or a tilt but a good head won't go back a tiny bit when you stop the move. I started off with a Bogen-Manfrotto 503 head and it was decent for the time though there was significant bounce back when you stopped a pan. When I went to film school, I was using the Sachtler Video 18 S2 on cycle films and the OConnor 2575D on my thesis, and I gotta tell you, nothing really compares once you've used an OConnor head (but who can afford 20k :smith: ).

Closest thing I got out of film school was a used Cartoni Delta and honestly, it performs just as well as the Sachtler Video 18 S2 but with the added benefit of a continuous counterbalance system. Once you've worked with a head that has continuous counterbalance, you don't want to go back to stepped counterbalance.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 15, 2023

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Thanks guys for the info and the recommendation.
Well, Smallrig it is for me!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Brrrmph posted:

I’ve never cleaned my own sensor. Which cleaning kits do y’all use?

Rubbing alcohol and q-tips. Not the most elegant solution.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Sensors can get wet without being ruined??

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Kind of. In googling how to clean my camera sensor, I learned that there is a thin layer of glass over the actual sensor itself. So when you clean the sensor, you’re really cleaning the glass.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Ok so it's maybe a little off the exact Gear topic, but I'm looking to find a new web host for storing my photos / running my domain & email. I currently use NixiHost, who I've been really happy with, but as my storage needs have increased, my plan has become more and more inadequate, and they don't offer any ability to upgrade storage without losing my grandfathered-in pricing. Any suggestions for a good web hosting solution for photographers that isn't something like SquareSpace?

edit: for context, my primary need for space is as an event photographer to store and send images for clients. I don't need anything to build me a front end, I just need domain hosting, email and a big ol' chunk of storage that I can send people links to.

Lights fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 16, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

Kind of. In googling how to clean my camera sensor, I learned that there is a thin layer of glass over the actual sensor itself. So when you clean the sensor, you’re really cleaning the glass.

Then are you truly cleaning the sensor?

Makes u think

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lights posted:

Ok so it's maybe a little off the exact Gear topic, but I'm looking to find a new web host for storing my photos / running my domain & email. I currently use NixiHost, who I've been really happy with, but as my storage needs have increased, my plan has become more and more inadequate, and they don't offer any ability to upgrade storage without losing my grandfathered-in pricing. Any suggestions for a good web hosting solution for photographers that isn't something like SquareSpace?

edit: for context, my primary need for space is as an event photographer to store and send images for clients. I don't need anything to build me a front end, I just need domain hosting, email and a big ol' chunk of storage that I can send people links to.

I use SmugMug and Dropbox depending on what I'm sharing with people and use separate services for domain and email. I dunno what you're paying now, but smugmug + some other service for emails is pretty affordable.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

wolfs posted:

Sensors can get wet without being ruined??

During manufacturing, electronic chips (including sensors) are exposed to tons of water to wash away the various chemicals that are used during the manufacturing process. As long as the water is deionized it will do zero harm. Water is an issue if it's not pure, if it lingers around to the point where is corrodes poo poo, or if it dislodges other materials (oil) that then end up in unwanted places (on the sensor).

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Dumb question: Is focus speed a function of the lens itself or the body? At the airshow the other week I had a chance to shoot a bit with my pro friend's Z9 with the new 180-600 f/5.6-6.3 VR. I have a Sigma super telephoto that's about the same, but good lord this man's camera. It only took like a half turn to fully throw the focus and it keyed in and sharpened up faster than I've ever seen. I'm now thinking (not very seriously) about financing a lens, not the super telephoto probably the 24-70 f/2.8 S, but I'm curious if the quick focus is actually his camera body doing the work. It's a lot of money to drop on a lens, so I want to know if that is a feature that will improve.

My primes don't even focus that fast. When I shoot portraits/group shots at events in AF-S with the flash, they tend to go right out of focus and then back in, it doesn't take long but it's awkward. Maybe I should be switching to manual for those kind of shots, get some practice in.

As an aside, the rapid shutter on the Z9 is also insane. It just sounds, and feels, way better. It's quieter but it still has some weight to it, if that makes sense? Do camera companies tune the feel of their DSLR/mirrorless shutters?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Dumb question: Is focus speed a function of the lens itself or the body? At the airshow the other week I had a chance to shoot a bit with my pro friend's Z9 with the new 180-600 f/5.6-6.3 VR. I have a Sigma super telephoto that's about the same, but good lord this man's camera. It only took like a half turn to fully throw the focus and it keyed in and sharpened up faster than I've ever seen. I'm now thinking (not very seriously) about financing a lens, not the super telephoto probably the 24-70 f/2.8 S, but I'm curious if the quick focus is actually his camera body doing the work. It's a lot of money to drop on a lens, so I want to know if that is a feature that will improve.

My primes don't even focus that fast. When I shoot portraits/group shots at events in AF-S with the flash, they tend to go right out of focus and then back in, it doesn't take long but it's awkward. Maybe I should be switching to manual for those kind of shots, get some practice in.

As an aside, the rapid shutter on the Z9 is also insane. It just sounds, and feels, way better. It's quieter but it still has some weight to it, if that makes sense? Do camera companies tune the feel of their DSLR/mirrorless shutters?

I think it's both. You need an algorithm that is fast (this uses sensor data, so it's in the body), but you then also need a lens with a fast motor. The Sony 55/1.8 was lightning fast on my A7R3 while an adapted Canon 180/3.5 macro is as slow as a snail.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

theHUNGERian posted:

I think it's both. You need an algorithm that is fast (this uses sensor data, so it's in the body), but you then also need a lens with a fast motor. The Sony 55/1.8 was lightning fast on my A7R3 while an adapted Canon 180/3.5 macro is as slow as a snail.

I think you're right. The C autofocus on my Z6 is plenty quick in some contexts, but I switch to pinpoint S for group shots because it really likes to focus on the background when coupled with AF-Area.

This is probably just more of an argument for actually calibrating my camera's User Modes so I don't have to change four things every time I want to shoot portraits or people dancing or light trails around the DJ.

Thanks!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

The Z9 doesn't actually have a shutter other than the sensor cover thing, so yes they tuned it in the sense that it's totally simulated?

For AF yes it's a combination of the lens and the camera. FWIW I wouldn't expect a lens to focus fast just cause it's a prime, they're a mixed bag as much as anything and plenty of nice primes in the normal to mid telephoto ranges are a little pokey.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

powderific posted:

The Z9 doesn't actually have a shutter other than the sensor cover thing, so yes they tuned it in the sense that it's totally simulated?

Nikon's Z line-up never fails to confuse and scare me.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

RillAkBea posted:

Nikon's Z line-up never fails to confuse and scare me.

The Z8 and Z9 went to an electronic only shutter. It's excellent for most uses, since there's nothing mechanical moving and thus no wear. Also for bird/wildlife shooters it's nice to have a completely silent camera. You can set it up to have a fake shutter sound if it helps, though I chose to set mine up to just flash a red frame when you're firing the shutter. It's nice to have _something_ that indicates things are actually happening.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Hmm, I think I need to calibrate the screen on my new MacBook Air. I sat at the bar and edited some event photos last night and some of them look a bit overexposed on my home monitor (that I normally edit on).

Lightroom question: Does the LR editing data save to the DNG file itself? Like, if I move these pictures back from my laptop to my desktop and open them up in LR there, will my exposure/white balance/noise reduction/cropping tweaks stay with them? There's got to be a way to do that.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
AIU DNG include the required metadata to carry over lightroom settings but other formats need the optional XMP sidecar files enabled and copied at the same time. Or you can export part of the catalogue for transfer.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I got a flash and trigger because, well, I felt like I am taking photography seriously and its a core piece of gear. But after setting it up and trying it out, I absolutely hate it. Yes, part of this is due to not knowing how to use it, but also:
- Its really heavy when mounted to my camera
- Its hard to know what the result will be until after I take the photo
- I do street, landscape, wildlife, architecture (mostly). I don't do events, portraits, etc

I feel like it was stupid of me to buy a flash and that I should just return it. I have an LED light I can use thats easier to carry, offers full color spectrum, etc. Seems like I should just use that when I want more light or if I am doing a fun project

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Pablo Bluth posted:

AIU DNG include the required metadata to carry over lightroom settings but other formats need the optional XMP sidecar files enabled and copied at the same time. Or you can export part of the catalogue for transfer.

Thanks for this, it definitely helped out. I also calibrated the monitor of my laptop with one of those Spyder tools, so I'm looking forward to trying it again.

Is there a better thread (like a streaming thread or something) to ask about capture cards? I've been thinking about streaming next time I'm DJing a certain venue. I already have most of the gear but I'd rather not lug my ATEM Mini switcher out to gigs if it's not going to be worth taking multiple angles - just one camera, a HDMI-USBC capture card and my laptop would probably all fit in my regular photography bag with my camera and flash.

I'm just wondering about the quality of some of these capture cards. I'm only shooting with a little Sony 4K action cam but still, there are some options on Amazon for like $40 and I wonder if it's going to look like potato.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
eposvox on Youtube has done a lot of reviews of capture devices including a bunch of the generic China brands.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

blue squares posted:

I got a flash and trigger because, well, I felt like I am taking photography seriously and its a core piece of gear. But after setting it up and trying it out, I absolutely hate it. Yes, part of this is due to not knowing how to use it, but also:

There are certain things that you can't really do without a flash or that a flash really makes much, much easier. But for wildlife and street photography, exploring the metering function on your camera is probably a lot more valuable and also free. Your instinct to return it is completely legitimate, but you might also look into specifically what you can do with it rather than just carrying it around for general use. For example, they are useful for when you've got plenty of light, but the light is coming from the wrong direction and it fucks up the metering on your camera. On the street, this might be a situation where you're trying to have a sunset in the background, but everything in the foreground is black because your camera is flipping out and doesn't know what the hell you're trying to do. A strong flash from the front could light up faces or whatever enough to get the picture you want rather than black silhouettes.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

blue squares posted:

- Its really heavy when mounted to my camera
- Its hard to know what the result will be until after I take the photo
- I do street, landscape, wildlife, architecture (mostly). I don't do events, portraits, etc

I feel like it was stupid of me to buy a flash and that I should just return it. I have an LED light I can use thats easier to carry, offers full color spectrum, etc. Seems like I should just use that when I want more light or if I am doing a fun project

Sounds like you should use your flash more to understand when and where you'd want to use it to get the effect you want. They can be really useful in landscapes and street to fill in missing light where you need it, and also when they're done well they don't stand out like a sore thumb. Both these shots are direct fill flash balanced to match the exposure of the background

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

when i was still learning photography i also went out and bought a flash, an alienbee, with a stand and a trigger and everything. i didn't enjoy that kind of flash work. it's really great to know how to light a scene using multiple strobes of course, but in my work that wasn't needed.

an on-camera flash or one mounted to the hotshoe (or hotshoe cable so it's a bit off the camera axis) is my preferred way of using flash and it works for me and my style of shooting.
to repeat what megabound said - use the flash in various different ways and see which one clicks.

these days i'm only using on-camera flash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

If you want to mount a flash directly on camera, I recommend buying the lightest reasonable option. I bought a godox flash which uses 2xAA. It weighs 200g, but still can be used remotely with the godox system, rotating flash head, zoom, came with gels etc.

Then just point the flash directly at subject, like above poster did!