Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i put the ketchup on the hotdog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
i put the ketchup
but i did not shoot the deputy

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Ranch is pretty good on hotdogs.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Rudeboy Detective posted:

im with elon btw

pinch those nipples

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Admiral Ray posted:

super ace tier lesbian stuff

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Gross rear end poo poo page

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ketchup is fine

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Admiral Ray posted:

You can't trick me.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

magiccarpet posted:

Gross rear end poo poo page

mad?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
smh if you haven’t discovered blue cheese dressing on hot dogs.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you may post your disgusting hot dog condiments until elon musk does something funny

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Haven't heard much about the robots lately, hope they're doing okay

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Optimus is trending towards sentient

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

RedQueen posted:

what is this video quality lmao

they used the cameras from the russian lancet drones

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Countdown to musk getting sued by a bunch of guys who get banned for "platform manipulation" even though they bought a blue check so they could get paid

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Musk also claimed that the system had the ability “to figure it out,” and it could “understand signs without reading.”

Hi, yes, quick question, how? Does this work for different signs in different areas, does it know how to understand and interpret temporary roadwork signs, how is it going to tell the difference between different road signs in different driving scenarios with just these awful webcams if it can't tell the difference between the side of a white trailer and the open loving sky

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

TheDarkFlame posted:

Hi, yes, quick question, how? Does this work for different signs in different areas, does it know how to understand and interpret temporary roadwork signs, how is it going to tell the difference between different road signs in different driving scenarios with just these awful webcams if it can't tell the difference between the side of a white trailer and the open loving sky

*opening and closing mouth, turning beet red*

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

TheDarkFlame posted:

every time one tesla slams into a truck and kills everyone involved, the remaining cars grow smarter

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

elon says "catsup" btw

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

elon says "catsup" btw

of course he does

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

thank you twitter

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

elon says "catsup" btw

what the gently caress

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

kitsup

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

elon says "catsup" btw

This is the last straw

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

i put tomahtoe catsup on my hamboerger

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

elon says "catsup" btw

he's right

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

mad?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
i like to put water on my hot dog

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

lmao

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

FirstnameLastname posted:

honestly an ai kind of thing would probably be feasible for making higher level decisions, like the safest route for navigating through a section of slower traffic, pacing the car to hit green lights, the stuff that's not immediate or reactive

when it comes to actually operating the vehicle things happen too fast

car springs a fixed response rate based on their length that's measureable in hz just like any other spring, intervals between the front and rear axles are often in ratios similar to musical chords, to cancel out body movement from bumps and prevent the springs from overlapping in phase and fighting each other

the tires themselves have a response rate that changes depending on vehicle speed and tire pressure, which changes dynamically based on load and heat, every other moving or flexing component connected are mutually responding to and affecting each other at all times as the vehicle moves

he picked the lowest frame interval that's at-all functional at normal driving speeds in nominal conditions, just barely above the average response rate of road car tires up to freeway speeds, and it's going to have all sorts of trouble if anything happens bc it'll just be refreshing too slow to read the situation or make decisions.

modern traction control systems run at like, ten thousand hz plus because these little variations are so important to measure accurately to attenuate inputs accurately to maintain stability

those set of frequencies are the margins of vehicle stability at its limits of handling, they determine the limits of how quickly the body & suspension will respond to steering inputs.

there's a lot of them occuring at once in every vehicle
they can resonate with each other causing vibrations, or additive/destructive interference (think letting off of the brake as you slow down, then back on as it rebounds to match the body movement and keep the car level, that's controlled interference summing out movement between the front and rear of the car to keep it level while the shocks dampen their inertia )

if something is taking data in intervals that far apart it will be blind to so much poo poo and and easily cause feedback loops of added instability from inaccurate response to instability, only aware of some things when they line up with the frame refresh etc.

bc even if the internal telemetry is running faster, it's not getting that data from the cars around it or its surroundings, the approaching surface, but it still has to integrate that telemetry with the optical input and so will be attributing events to the wrong moments in time or unable to incorporate the information because it missed the optical cue or can't tell quite what's happening that frame because of overlapping oscillations quicker than 36Hz (+latency)

it's really important for you or whatever's steering your car to be able to tell which bumps or features in the road, spilled oil etc. it has already traveled over or currently is or is about to. especially if it's say, dodging a stopped semi or a moose or whatever, but it won't be able to tell what body and wheel movement is coming from where within more than a blurry resolution over a meter long at 80mph, it'll have to guess between frame refreshes what decisions to make and how to interpolate its own telemetry with the optical info

hes thinking about the decision making process from how people operate cars and is trying to emulate that, but also thinks driving is an entirely visual exercise when the only thing your eyes help with is telling where to go
people are garbage at judging speed visually, people are garbage at judging distance visually, at judging rates of accel/deceleration, people cannot judge inclines/declines visually at all without a visible horizon line, respond slowly to visual stimuli compared to physical etc. - almost all actual driving decisionmaking especially in emergency situations are your inner ear and proprioception doing everything, your eyes are too slow and inaccurate to help with much besides knowing where an obstacle is, they tell you almost nothing about what your own car is currently doing

it simply wont be able to judge what is going on around it to an acceptable degree of accuracy to not hit kids and cause wrecks

and hes right

Looking into this.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

happyhippy posted:

Just a reminder that the car AI code is the same as going to be in the robot.
And the robot looks like this.

reminder that they made the robots slower and weaker than a human so when the ai goes rogue you can easily overpower the robot or run away

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Has a Tesla hit a kid yet? I feel like that'd be the deal breaker. Hitting adults people don't care, but a kid gets people upset for about two minutes.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Diabetic posted:

Has a Tesla hit a kid yet?

today? iunno, probably

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Simply make the panel gaps toddler sized so they just get wedged in there instead of splattering

Bing bong so simple

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Diabetic posted:

Has a Tesla hit a kid yet? I feel like that'd be the deal breaker. Hitting adults people don't care, but a kid gets people upset for about two minutes.

We plan to run over the child on Saturday

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Diabetic posted:

Has a Tesla hit a kid yet?

yeah

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Diabetic posted:

lmao

america caring about dead kids

lmao

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

for real how could you still think that would matter even a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Diabetic posted:

lol you're incredibly dumb