Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Tyranny is Obsidian, not Larian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I haven't played Expeditions: Viking, but the next game in the series Expeditions: Rome is a solid historical RPG, or slightly alt-historical since your actions change certain historical events. Surprising good amount of story reactivity.

I would also second King Arthur: A Knights Tale. It's much lighter on story elements, but once the combat system clicks it is very satisfying.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I really enjoyed SoD, but you could tell that the narrative was handcuffed by having to keep canon between BG1 and BG2. There were some really good moments, like the questline between Khalid and Jahiera, that added a lot to the narrative. But it feel a bit flat on the overall main scenario.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Irenicus didn’t need to be there

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I liked that he came back but it was absurd how present he was without getting any serious pushback from anyone as to why or how he was showing up at pivotal moments so effortlessly. He could have been basically confined to dream sequences, which would have made it creepier since of course we know who he is but the protagonist would just think it was more of the Bhaalspawn dreaming.

Going back to the question of why they did so much work on enabling building expansions only to make one formal one, I appreciate that they made the Black Pits but it is such a weird thing to be in the game for everyone but the hardest hardcore Infinity Engine folks, or at least that is how it seems to me. I love all these games dearly, including the combat, but the combat is still in service to the storyline, and I cannot imagine there being that many people who wanted a separate story-light combat expansion with basically no bearing on the main narrative. I wish there were at least an achievement or two connected to those modes so there were any numbers on how many people actually played them at all

Flowing Thot posted:

I think it was supposed to take place between SoA and ToB.
Certainly makes sense. Obviously the alluded-to story between the first and second games was a good place to throw in an expansion, but yeah I always felt like there should have been more transitional material before the expansion, which obviously this would have provided.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
What is Beamdog up to these days anyhow

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Nothing, what's up with you dog?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Captain Oblivious posted:

What is Beamdog up to these days anyhow

They got bought by Embracer who is currently closing studios they bought a short while ago after a 2 billion dollar deal with Saudi Arabia fell through.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Irenicus probably didn't need to be there but I'm glad he is. I think it does make sense, since this was a major conflict involving bhaalspawn and he'd keep an eye and ear out for such things. I also like they at least made an effort to show, at least so far in my game (I've not beaten it), that he's acting as a older hood man to mask who he really is. Still delivers the barbs, though. I won't say no to more David Warner no matter how contrived it may be.

Beamdog is releasing a game called MythForce on Steam next week. It has been out on Epic for a while. Looks pretty neat!

It'll probably be for nothing but they're a subsidiary of Aspyr who were working on the KOTOR remake that got shelved due to them presenting junk. Since Embracer owns them both now and Beamdog did some great work in the Enhanced Editions and Siege of Dragonspear. So who knows what will happen!

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 29, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Flowing Thot posted:

They got bought by Embracer who is currently closing studios they bought a short while ago after a 2 billion dollar deal with Saudi Arabia fell through.

Son of a bitch

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Its alright, we've still got expansions coming*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XPO21wk0wg

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

More Roxanne?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Rappaport posted:

More Roxanne?

*twitches*

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Rappaport posted:

More Roxanne?

Looks like someone different.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Looks pretty cool. Is there some sort of red flag with the creator?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Looks pretty cool. Is there some sort of red flag with the creator?

No but there is a red light.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Arivia posted:

No but there is a red light.

Perhaps a district with comely wenches?

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Rappaport posted:

More Roxanne?

think they've been exiled going by my recent attempt at mod scouring for a playthrough, always some loving drama going off in that scene

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

In a shocking twist, the red light is actually just a reflection off all the red flags.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

think they've been exiled going by my recent attempt at mod scouring for a playthrough, always some loving drama going off in that scene

She's so big hearted

Considering you can be a cleric of Mystra in BG3 I'm very tempted to try a Sandrah BG3 playthrough.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Vichan posted:

She's so big hearted

Considering you can be a cleric of Mystra in BG3 I'm very tempted to try a Sandrah BG3 playthrough.

That LP just broke you permanently, didn't it?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

docbeard posted:

That LP just broke you permanently, didn't it?

I will never be the same again.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

(BG1 Chapter 7) Is there any loving way to prevent either Belt or Lila Janneth from getting killed at the Grand Duke ceremony? It's not a cutscene so I'm sure it's possible. I'm trying to figure out proper spell selection for my Illusionist.

Perhaps a Greater Mailison followed by a Confusion or Fear would help? Magic Missiles to bypass the Blur effect?

You're past this now but a scroll or two of Otiluke's Resilient Sphere will trivialise this fight. If you just have one stick it on Liia Janneth since she's far squishier than Belt who has several levels of Fighter HP to keep him upright.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Speaking of mods, the dragonspear ui mod person made a new edition called Infinity UI++, a ui inspired by pillars of eternity, and I think it's real good and impressive!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vichan posted:

I will never be the same again.

It's times like this that I'm glad I left the BG modding community years ago, even if I do feel the occasional pang of regret that I never finished Valerie.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

From what I recall she shut down her forums when people weren't supporting Ukraine enough or some such. Too many pro Russian posters. Yes that was the actual reason. Also she is like Dutch or something as well so it's extra weird.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jay Rust posted:

Speaking of mods, the dragonspear ui mod person made a new edition called Infinity UI++, a ui inspired by pillars of eternity, and I think it's real good and impressive!

I am not sold on the main screen interface along the bottom or character creation, but oh my god I ADORE the bestiary and the general inventory is pretty rad, too.

Why, perhaps if I got into Baldur's Gate modding, I--

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I often listen to the OST of BG1 and BG2. Not all of the tracks - of course - the ambient dungeon stuff or combat music doesn't interest me - but the main themes do.

I'm basically Ryan Gosling in that hilarious SNL Papyrus skit - about BG3.

"I know what you did Larian! You just slapped 5e into Divinity Original Sin and called it Baldurs Gate!"

I would love to get another FR game which isn't whatever this Dragon Age-ey direction that modern 5e stuff. I don't want to see these dragonkin everywhere, or Sims 4 tieflings.

With the money WOTC and Larian is making - and good will - off BG3 I don't think that'll ever happen.

Anyway, here's Throne of Bhaal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMhWYnfmfAk

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Tiefling proliferation was literally my only complaint about the game in early access, but I mean, you cannot really argue that they exist as a thing in 5th Edition. And it is not like every character is a tiefling, they are just front-loaded due to there being a group of them in need at the start

I just thank my lucky stars that Baldur's Gate 3 did not somehow switch to Pathfinder and end up with goddamn Kitsune or worse everywhere

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There are only two kitsune across both Pathfinder games. The weird proliferation race is odreads for some reason.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

biscuits and crazy posted:

Its called 'The One Gift Lost' but there's at least 5 of them in BG1

lmao I never realized wtf

what a game!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They should have kept those godawful 4e tiefling designs then people would stop being hot and bothered over them. How do you like them eyebrow horns, thirsty internet people?

But yeah, I think what makes the Baldur's Gate games ones people can play to is the soundscapes. From the footstep sound effects to the ambiences in both cities and dungeons, the crackling fires and the oddly satisfying looting effects, it paints a really vivid picture into your imagination that keeps you hooked. It does feel like you're these characters wandering around in this world - it's fantastic. The music is only icing on that cake.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I remember this web cartoon promo for 4th Edition that had an eyebrowhorns Tiefling.

It had the incredible salespitch of "Gnomes are no longer playable!"

somebody here knows what Im talking about

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Flowing Thot posted:

From what I recall she shut down her forums when people weren't supporting Ukraine enough or some such. Too many pro Russian posters. Yes that was the actual reason. Also she is like Dutch or something as well so it's extra weird.

I dunno, I wouldn’t want to run a forum of people cheer leading an imperialist invasion either. Seems pretty normal if indeed it did become a den of people supportive of the invasion.

Probably the only reasonable decision I’ve ever heard of them making but still.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

wizard2 posted:

I remember this web cartoon promo for 4th Edition that had an eyebrowhorns Tiefling.

It had the incredible salespitch of "Gnomes are no longer playable!"

somebody here knows what Im talking about

I'm guessing this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UqFPujRZWo

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Finally finished TOB. Overall it was definitely weaker than the main game, but I still had a good time. IDK why, but the combat encounters weren't as fun as SOA to me. How's the Ascension mod? I've heard more mixed things about it vs SCS but I am curious about it.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 30, 2023

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Still in BG1 but I don't think it's ever going to get old having Viconia drink a potion to get to 100% magic resistance and send her against powerful mages to watch them impotently flail at her.

If I try and rejig my mod setup between BG and SoD, is it fairly low risk or am I liable to mess something mainly just want to change UI mods and some kit mod stuff.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Jay Rust posted:

just installed this (hopefully successfully since the instructions are a little unclear), and it makes me much more likely to actually finish bg2. such a great qol improvement to deal with the more ancient ui and ux aspects of the game

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dreamsicle posted:

Finally finished TOB. Overall it was definitely weaker than the main game, but I still had a good time. IDK why, but the combat encounters weren't as fun as SOA to me. How's the Ascension mod? I've heard more mixed things about it vs SCS but I am curious about it.

I think SoA hits that sweet spot of mid to high level AD&D where things can get bananas but not super bananas and you can have a good time with it. High-level D&D always seemed like a friggan mess and Throne of Bhaal is no exception. Gotta take a HLA that gives me 10 attack per round with no penalty because that's like the baseline for most of the enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
(BG 1) What's the way to kill the (named) Greater Wolfwere on Balduran's ship? It seems to be a puzzle boss of some kind, immune to all attacks, even the dagger I just found specifically for fighting lycanthropes. I just got in, got the spellbook for that ungrateful wizard prick and got out.