Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ineffiable posted:

This has been a really great year for games. I mean I know I've had to hold myself from buying some games because I knew I did not have enough time to play it before the next release after that. I'm going to hold off on Baldur's Gate 3 because I really want to clean up the backlog a bit (and I'm deep into Armored core VI). And how many of us are still waiting for a good deal on a recent new game, like Dead Space/resident evil 4 remake or Star Wars Jedi Survivor.

Plus I'm obsessive about getting all the trophies so I put in more time with each game than normal.

It's so good. Bomb Rush Cyberfunk on Friday, and then I must not spend money on any game for at least 6 weeks because late October through March is going to loving WRECK me.

:negative:

At the moment tho, ACVI, Live A Live, TReN, Blasphemous II, Octopath II ahhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Between zelda and BG3 I'm just hoping that games based on complex systemic interactions get some big budget attention. If nothing else, the success of both might put a good dent in the perceived value of service model games.

As a person who came to love that sort of thing thanks to Nethack I've been waiting a really long time to see developers really go for it with that complex interconnected free form style.

That is, outside the realm of first person games and games where shooting is the predominant mode of conflict resolution. Systemic stuff is relatively alive and Well there but those kinda things are not my style at all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

didn't these folks just release their game?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/shadow-gambit-studio-mimimi-are-closing-down-to-prioritize-our-well-being

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That makes sense? Having just finished a project is the best time to say “nope, never again” rather than starting another one

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It would appear that THIS gambit... was declined.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

:derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

This was pretty interesting to know.

https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1696564364575232167?s=20

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Von Linus posted:

I loaded up Armored Core, got to the helicopter, got shot up a few times, then started playing RDR2 from the beginning again. Maybe I like a slower pace with worse controls but drat if I don't love RDR2.

Even the games I absolutely love have me often thinking “hmm should I just play through the RDRs again instead” :clint:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
its pretty cool that there's like a really outstanding representation of every genre going on this year, and not just critically lauded but commercially a flop like Prey or something but like big bestsellers too. just off the top of my head:

survival horror: dead space remake
action horror: resident evil 4 remake
JRPG: octopath traveler 2, FFXV
the superior WRPG: baldurs gate 3
AAA character action: jedi survivor, spiderman
AAA terf action: hogwarts legacy
nintendo heads: zelda BOTW2
bethesda heads: starfield
retro heads: MGS collection

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pinal Pantasy

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's so good. Bomb Rush Cyberfunk on Friday, and then I must not spend money on any game for at least 6 weeks because late October through March is going to loving WRECK me.

:negative:

At the moment tho, ACVI, Live A Live, TReN, Blasphemous II, Octopath II ahhhhhhhhhhh

My Playdate and Analogue Pocket that I ordered last year decided end of August was a good time to show up. I am so completely buried in games. I'm gonna be processing this year's releases into 2025

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wolfsheim posted:

its pretty cool that there's like a really outstanding representation of every genre going on this year, and not just critically lauded but commercially a flop like Prey or something but like big bestsellers too. just off the top of my head:

JRPG: octopath traveler 2, FFXV

dreamcast heads: bomb rush cyberfunk

Great observation! It really is an amazing year for games. It’s a bit overwhelming for me since I take a while to finish games typically but that’s a me problem. I’m working on slaying the fomo and just enjoying the current few games I’m focused on.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

JRPG: octopath traveler 2, FFXVI

retro heads 2: Quake 2 Remaster

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dead Space is also action horror, it's too power-fantasy for a real survival horror game

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

We do have Alone in the Dark coming out, that could be a decent survival horror.

And Alan Wake 2 is looking a lot more survival horror but it's probably still heavy on action.

And there's silent hill 2 by bloo oh god I shouldn't have suggested that.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Hasn't he been booted off the persona dev team? Prolly just talking poo poo....

..P6 announcement imminent...????

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m working on slaying the fomo and just enjoying the current few games I’m focused on.

this is me too. I started playing divinity OS to stop myself from buying BG3... and it was just good enough to make me want to play divinity OS2 so now I may get around to BG3 sometime in mid 2024 lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

fridge corn posted:

Hasn't he been booted off the persona dev team? Prolly just talking poo poo....

..P6 announcement imminent...????

Booted? I doubt moving onto Metaphor wasn't his own decision. He probably has free rein at Atlus, similar to the way Miyazaki does at From.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wolfsheim posted:

this is me too. I started playing divinity OS to stop myself from buying BG3... and it was just good enough to make me want to play divinity OS2 so now I may get around to BG3 sometime in mid 2024 lol

I feel this lol

haveblue posted:

Dead Space is also action horror, it's too power-fantasy for a real survival horror game

I need to remember to buy that for my October horror game fun times. I never beat it back in the day. I love horror but survival horror is usually just tedious and unfun to me unfortunately. Action horror/power fantasy horror is my absolute favorite though.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
So many games that the games I dont have time or money to play will be on PS Plus eventually.

Also, apparently Sea of Stars which is getting 9 & 10/10s flying out the Wazoo is released straight on to PS plus too?

Xbox stays losing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s on Game Pass too lol

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s on Game Pass too lol

That’s irrelevant tho

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fridge corn posted:

How so? Could you elaborate?

The most jarring thing to me is that the age of the voices don't match the way they look for a TON of characters.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I tried the demo for Sea of Stars and it didn't grab me, it just felt...off, like a facsimile of a Chrono Trigger type rather than something earnest

It made me wonder if I was misremembering how good the Messenger was and no, outside of some lame philosophy rants and a weak ending that game still slaps, but then again it is a different genre entirely

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I wasn't interested in the SoS demo, but that's mostly because jumping into the middle of an jRPG with no connection to the characters, the story, or even what sort of mechanical progression has occurred, sorta drains the fun out of it. This is why Octopath-style carryover demos are the best way to do things.

Edit: Plus that demo was a while ago, I'm not sure if anything changed in the interim.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

mcmagic posted:

The most jarring thing to me is that the age of the voices don't match the way they look for a TON of characters.

You should visit south yorkshire sometime

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

mcmagic posted:

I really don't know what you mean unless you give some examples

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The main difference here is that I would not miss.

Roger that, ...:airquote:Black Mastodon.:airquote:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They should make a game award for coolest naming of poo poo and give Fromsoft the win every year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MAAAAAD STOOOOMP!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Sony why are you emailing me about payment for ps+ when my subscription ends next July

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

RandolphCarter posted:

Sony why are you emailing me about payment for ps+ when my subscription ends next July

I got that too and mine is march.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Rumor is Sony is working on a new ps2 emulator for ps5 (the current one which is ps2 games repackaged for ps4 like red faction or rogue galaxy has some really bad graphical issues when running on a ps5)

Maybe one day we'll get new ps2 games on ps4/ps5.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

The hype around Starfield has gotten fairly comical for what will probably be a 7/10 game once the dust settles. For spaceship combat I would be shocked if it offers a fraction of the complexity and customization of Everspace 2, and as far as party interaction and player choice BG3 is going to be tough to beat from everything Ive heard.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Cope. It'll be rated similarly and be as similarly popular to their Elder Scrolls and Fallout games.

You don't have to worry about it since it's not a PS5 game anyway.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, BG3 took a TON of the shine off of Starfield for me. I am just closing in on the end of 150 hours in a giant world of mysteries and interesting characters, a world with some bite to it, and somehow I'm a lot less jazzed to experience the Bethesda-brand bland version with all the edges filed off. I think I need something more actiony after Baldur's Gate anyway.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Starfield is gonna be loved just as much as all the previous Bethesda open worlds and I will continue to not understand what people see in them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Starfield is gonna be loved just as much as all the previous Bethesda open worlds and I will continue to not understand what people see in them.

escapism

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

also cool worlds that aren't about filling up meters on the map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, I do tend to enjoy my Bethesda RPGs. It's a big ol world to explore, lots of stuff to do and RPG mechanics to play with. They're just a little bland -- I never get the feeling that there's any sort of interesting creative vision behind them, or at least one that didn't have any unique voice removed by corporate committee.