Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Nah. Intent and goals mean jackshit. It’s either a good film or it’s not.

How come many pieces of art are derided when they're created and then become beloved in subsequent generations, or vice versa? It was a bad film, but now it's a good film. How does that work in your formulation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
All art is bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
When somebody says it's a bad or good film, they hopefully mean that it either works for them or it doesn't (if you truly believe that films are "objectively good or bad" then there's no hope for you, you have become a terminal narcicist). This is influenced by all kinds of things including the context of the work - which the artist has no control over.

For instance, and as a very short example, I can pretty much guarantee you that Anne Frank had no idea her diary was going to be a powerful work that make me cry in the 7th grade, and most of that comes from the context around the work, not things she had intent over and control over. Reading a young girl's diary just makes you a creep, most of the time. But of course this one is different, and not for any intent of Anne Frank.

If you truly believe that the artist's intent is critical in judging a work than you can't have any opinion about cave paintings because those are made by pre-history people with knowledge and perspectives that we, quite simply, will never know. This is really stupid. Of course it's really stupid. You have an opinion on the cave paintings, you're a human being, you understand the context of them. Where does intent enter in here?

What the whole "intent of the artist" thing actually represents, in my opinion, is a mind that's been poisoned by consumerism. Instead of putting the artist center and simply reacting to their art as human expression, it treats art as a product that's "designed" to accomplish something for the viewer, and is evaluated as such. If you treat art as a product, you need to care about (or invent) "what the artist was trying to accomplish" so that you can critique it on how well it reached that goal, same as a vacuum or cell phone.

Despite endlessly mocking studio executives, plenty of people share their exact mindset.

This is further going to be fascinating to see because it's my sincere belief that global warming is going to be the defining catastrophe of the next generation, and that our perspective of slight acknowledgement and blase acceptance of this looming disaster is going to make all of our art seem to them what Gone To The Wind seems to us, which is disgustingly and casually immoral toward the people it's hurting: that future generation.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
is Mank worth seeing? I keep forgetting it exists

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

it doesn't exist.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

teagone posted:

Like I said, I don't think Sucker Punch is all that great, but I respect what Snyder was trying to do.
I can see what you were trying to do here is actually a perfect response to any Zack Snyder movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hmmm, i'm interested

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

When somebody says it's a bad or good film, they hopefully mean that it either works for them or it doesn't (if you truly believe that films are "objectively good or bad" then there's no hope for you, you have become a terminal narcicist). This is influenced by all kinds of things including the context of the work - which the artist has no control over.

For instance, and as a very short example, I can pretty much guarantee you that Anne Frank had no idea her diary was going to be a powerful work that make me cry in the 7th grade, and most of that comes from the context around the work, not things she had intent over and control over. Reading a young girl's diary just makes you a creep, most of the time. But of course this one is different, and not for any intent of Anne Frank.

If you truly believe that the artist's intent is critical in judging a work than you can't have any opinion about cave paintings because those are made by pre-history people with knowledge and perspectives that we, quite simply, will never know. This is really stupid. Of course it's really stupid. You have an opinion on the cave paintings, you're a human being, you understand the context of them. Where does intent enter in here?

What the whole "intent of the artist" thing actually represents, in my opinion, is a mind that's been poisoned by consumerism. Instead of putting the artist center and simply reacting to their art as human expression, it treats art as a product that's "designed" to accomplish something for the viewer, and is evaluated as such. If you treat art as a product, you need to care about (or invent) "what the artist was trying to accomplish" so that you can critique it on how well it reached that goal, same as a vacuum or cell phone.

Despite endlessly mocking studio executives, plenty of people share their exact mindset.

This is further going to be fascinating to see because it's my sincere belief that global warming is going to be the defining catastrophe of the next generation, and that our perspective of slight acknowledgement and blase acceptance of this looming disaster is going to make all of our art seem to them what Gone To The Wind seems to us, which is disgustingly and casually immoral toward the people it's hurting: that future generation.

Tenet was a documentary of this post

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Tenet was awesome

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

this definitely looks like a netflix movie (pejorative)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Tenet was awesome

I am a Tenet defender

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I am a Tenet defender
Same. It's like the jumped up Bond movie my 12 year old self would've wanted to make, complete with casting Kenneth Branagh to do a rocky and bulwinkle villain voice.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
no serious hitman would resolve data security, geolocation issues by stomping on a cell phone or hitting a laptop with a hammer. what is this, amateur hour?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

It's my sincerest hope that you get tired of this little class clown act before you hit 50.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's my sincerest hope that you get tired of this little class clown act before you hit 50.

:cheeky:

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Ammanas posted:

no serious hitman would resolve data security, geolocation issues by stomping on a cell phone or hitting a laptop with a hammer. what is this, amateur hour?

I miss the golden olden days where all cellphone data could be rendered inaccessible by snapping them at the hinge.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Ammanas posted:

Looks like he's firing a nailgun into it. Which may or may not work depending how good you are at hitting the right spots.

Based on the general tone of the trailer I think this is partially some fever dream of someone who thinks he's an assassin and does stuff he saw assassins do in the movies.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's pretty bland.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Finally, a movie about an assassin on the run from their employers, it's been too long since we had one of those.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Yeah it's been a while since In Bruges

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Trailer made me dizzy. Shame its a netflix movie

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

say what you will be pattinson was great and his character was good. i still wanna believe he's the kid with the backpack at the very end... :smith:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

All art is bad.

No, all art is this:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxAytw1_0JtVWIdMuN4ejr_GA1Uu9JVsMh?si=HWpWiANBN9JAxDZe

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

VROOM VROOM posted:

Yeah it's been a while since In Bruges

What a good flick

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I want to highlight this part of your post because it's something a lot of people either forget or never realize. How you perceive art is shaded by so many unique and individual situations that it's an intrinsically subjective experience. Some of these situations can overlap, but others can cause it to skew wildly. When you see something, who you experience it with, or the backstory involved in its creation can make a piece of art mean something completely different than it does to others.

I'll give a music example. This is The Monkees' song Valleri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKGwiH2bw9s

It's an okay piece (I really like the guitar work in the beginning), but hearing that takes me back to when I was 4 years old, listening to my mother's old records, and swinging on the rope swing my parents set up. It brings me right back to childhood, and I will always love this song. You may not because it's not your preferred style of music. You may think it sucks. But that conclusion is subjective, regardless of how many people agree with you. And despite our disagreement, we're both right.

that being said, I think you can successfully make the argument that a work of art is objectively bad if that something is propaganda, like Birth of a Nation or Triumph of the Will. Those are works where the intent is inherently harmful, and such pieces should be called out for the reprehensible pieces of poo poo that they are.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
bad example, everyone in the world loves the monkees

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Snooze Cruise posted:

They should

And while I like Valleri because it's my childhood, I do think For Pete's Sake is their best song for the message, the bass, and because Peter Tork wrote it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxW8hATx3eY

Bogus Adventure fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 30, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Porpoise song best song

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I'm in deep agreement with what you're arguing in this post -- I think I've seen it described as "extreme intentionality", but that term came from a transphobe in a book where she was using it to subvert what an essayist meant with what she must have "really" meant; i.e. it's a garbage term that came from a garbage context. However, I don't think it necessarily comes from an overly product-do-thing mindset. I've a friend who likes the idea of art being a way of getting closer to the person who made the art, and he thinks that digging into the intent of a work as an essential part of understanding the text's thesis, and the author's perspective on the world. He and I have talked about this a lot, and the essential understanding I've taken away from this is that he considers this a form of empathy, and of parasocial interaction. So I think there's nuance here.

Personally I'm a bit more traditional, in that I think that humans are unknowable black holes even to themselves, and that all art -- including "original art" -- is adaptation. I can only appreciate a work in terms of the emotions and ideas it evokes in me, and criticism happens in expressing the way various technical and expressive choices generate an affect in me. The author's persepctive will be something I can never access, and it may be something they can never access either; while statements they make might be used to inform my reading, I can and will dismiss their interpretations as I see fit, as they are ultimately just one interlocutor -- albeit, one with a more privileged access to the production of their art.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 30, 2023

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Snooze Cruise posted:

But in the discussion of intent, a very good example because they were the pre-packaged made for TV band where the members decided that they wanted to be legit and they turned themselves into a real band anyway.

Which is why everyone in the world loves the Monkees.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Last King posted:

say what you will be pattinson was great and his character was good. i still wanna believe he's the kid with the backpack at the very end... :smith:

I loved Tenet and defend it all the time. I was kinda just being cheeky about MMJS's effortpost since he mentioned the whole what is art paradigm in relation to commodity fetishism and the film is about counterinsurgency shitheads going down the rabithole of a funhouse mirror capital frontier and dooming the future to climate change while heisting through tax haven art storage facility smooth spaces. I think satire reads of Tenet open up myriad possibilities for entertainment.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 30, 2023

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D78KNtwfwN8

smug n stuff fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 30, 2023

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Nice to see David Schwimmer on screen again.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

had been hoping for more Adam Driver dialogue in this because I'm really curious what kind of accent he's gonna put on for it

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

*Ferrari*

"I don't know if we need another car movie...."

*From Michael Mann*

"...nevermind I'm in."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I have a weakness for Michael Mann that not even the dull as hell Ford vs Ferrari could taint. Looks great, Neon with the dope trailer, and an awesome cast.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zceSigCGWSQ

This looks like a very very very bad movie. Maybe it's just me, but I was cringing the entire trailer.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNYepvUtYGA

Looks cool to me. Rosamund Pike! Barry Keoghan!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

confused posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zceSigCGWSQ

This looks like a very very very bad movie. Maybe it's just me, but I was cringing the entire trailer.

It looks like it could be good, but is probably way too meta for its own good. The "Rom Com" movie poster, the airport talking to them like it's God, etc. Yeah, it's probably bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Saltburn does look good (shot by Linus Sandgren) but I do wonder how well someone as posh and part of the upper class as Emerald Fennell is going to handle the class politics.

thrawn527 posted:

It looks like it could be good, but is probably way too meta for its own good. The "Rom Com" movie poster, the airport talking to them like it's God, etc. Yeah, it's probably bad.

The airport is almost like another character in the movie.