Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Willo567 posted:

How is this going to help when the drones seem to be doing a fine job as it is? I don't think it's going to cause ordinary Russians to suddenly revolt against Russia, especially if Ukraine uses it for attacking civilians.

This thing smokes like an entire carton of cigarettes all at once and very, very carelessly discards them. Thats what all the little arms do, toss butts, they aren't fins or stabilizers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Willo567 posted:

How is this going to help when the drones seem to be doing a fine job as it is? I don't think it's going to cause ordinary Russians to suddenly revolt against Russia, especially if Ukraine uses it for attacking civilians. I really hope they only use it for actual military targets

You do realize that there are multiple targets in Moscow and the surrounding territory, like the optics plant and ammo refurbishment from a couple months ago, alone of a military nature?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

zone posted:

You do realize that there are multiple targets in Moscow and the surrounding territory, like the optics plant and ammo refurbishment from a couple months ago, alone of a military nature?

Yes, and the drone attack tonight shows they're doing a great job of targeting Russia. I absolutely think they should target military institutions in Russia - I just don't get how the Neptune Missile would be better than the drones they're using other than to scare people in Moscow, which may not work

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Missiles are much faster than drones. A drone attack with a missile or two mixed in is more effective. The bridge lust is going to be high.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Sedgr posted:

Missiles are much faster than drones. A drone attack with a missile or two mixed in is more effective. The bridge lust is going to be high.

Especially this. Also, having a variety of delivery platforms all with unique payloads creates targeting flexibility. The Neptune for instance can reportedly carry 330 lb.

As to tonight's attacks, targets are destroyed; Russia is forced to prioritize where they want to have their AD (and presumably some locations will be lower on the list and thus vulnerable); and Moscow can no longer pretend they are invulnerable as everyone will be talking about this.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Willo567 posted:

Yes, and the drone attack tonight shows they're doing a great job of targeting Russia. I absolutely think they should target military institutions in Russia - I just don't get how the Neptune Missile would be better than the drones they're using other than to scare people in Moscow, which may not work

Because 200+kgs of near supersonic kaboom makes a far bigger hole int he ground than a couple of kgs in a cardboard drone and thence bigger more heavier built targets go from shrugging off a light scratch to a debris pile where it used to be

Kerch Bridge for example. Light drone will leave a black mark. A Neptune will blow a fuckign big hole in it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

reminds me of this page: https://diddukewin.com/

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Because 200+kgs of near supersonic kaboom makes a far bigger hole int he ground than a couple of kgs in a cardboard drone and thence bigger more heavier built targets go from shrugging off a light scratch to a debris pile where it used to be

Kerch Bridge for example. Light drone will leave a black mark. A Neptune will blow a fuckign big hole in it.

Really puts into perspective the crazy payload of a US cruise missile carrying a 1300KG warhead.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
my balls just aren't worried enough to attract the nukes, willo back to you

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

zone posted:

even if it were just this, this would be the blackest day in this history of BBC POCCNR

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

evergreen meme

zone
Dec 6, 2016

From Kyiv in 3 days to "halp bread is too expensive". You deserve it for destroying tens of thousands of tons of Ukrainian grain.

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1696722372626194463

quote:

Dramatic collapse of net loss for Russia’s Gazprom.

For the first half of 2023 the net income was 296 billion Ruble (around 2.85 billion Euro). In the same period of time in 2022 Gazprom’s net income was 2.5 trillion Ruble (at this time around 41.5 billion Euro).

This is a collapse of 92% in only one year.

Sanctions work and we need more.
The wins for mighty Puccia just keep flooding in.

zone fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 30, 2023

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

zone posted:

From Kyiv in 3 days to "halp bread is too expensive". You deserve it for destroying tens of thousands of tons of Ukrainian grain.

Lenin's corpse is going to rise and dethrone Putin by promising "Bread and Peace" all over again. He will then be denounced as a CIA puppet.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Stalin killed Lenin you heard it here first

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Grammarchist posted:

Lenin's corpse is going to rise and dethrone Putin by promising "Bread and Peace" all over again. He will then be denounced as a CIA puppet.

I'm pretty sure that when POCCNR loses this war, and assuming it survives intact as one entity, they'll probably bury Lenin in the Kremlin Wall or next to Stalin and demolish the mausoleum because "it was all his fault Ukraine was a thing."

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

big if true

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

This is actually good for Russia, heres why [1/?]

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

A convulsing economy offers a lot of corruption opportunities for the right fellow with a little bit of hustle and some get up and go.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

lol at Gazprom's private military contractor subsidiary suddenly taking a real hit in their standard of living and equipment loadout. Everyone gets a satchel of small calibre handguns taken off street level mafioso urchins and a shoebox of loose mixed ammo. EMP anti drone guns got sold off and replaced by pairs of unmatched shoes tied together a the laces.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

shadow puppet of a posted:

lol at Gazprom's private military contractor subsidiary suddenly taking a real hit in their standard of living and equipment loadout. Everyone gets a satchel of small calibre handguns taken off street level mafioso urchins and a shoebox of loose mixed ammo. EMP anti drone guns got sold off and replaced by pairs of unmatched shoes tied together a the laces.

So just like every other secret agent/spy/commando at the start of a rpg shooter.

Oh my god Prig-z, a bomb

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If Ukraine moves a couple more KM south they've essentially cut the surovokhin line into three islands that cannot defend each other. The shaping is nearly complete and certain sections of the line are going to be under fire control from three different directions. I mean we're days from collapse of the defensive lines at this point. I'm not sure what happens next but it's not like all defenses will be gone however this specific part of the defenses are fast becoming untenable. Even with the vdv moving into try to plug the holes, Ukraine is conducting operations round the clock to beat up these exhausted units. Even though the vdv has been held in reserve or at least the more experienced units, they have still seen enough combat to become exhausted.

Russia has nothing left their elite units are all dedicated to stopping an offensive that is going to end up destroying them permanently.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Watch poccnr mobilize to fix this.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Time to repost The Sands of Blyat Jima

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

I don’t know what world war three will be fought with, but world war four will be fought with sticks and drones.
- Einstein, probably.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Some missile strikes aren't going to do poo poo against a population that has survived for generations on the premise of "My life sucks, but if I remain strong, I will endure", it's practically their culture. Russians who have any ambition for a better life have or are trying to leave the country. The rest, they just deal with all this bullshit because it's all they know.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Cable Guy posted:

The Sands of Blyat Jima

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I hate vatniks so loving much.

quote:

Emergency services report 4 IL-76 transport aircraft damaged (actually destroyed).

Once again we are faced with "red lines" that do not exist.

In my opinion, it would be the right time to start a fear campaign against the Ukrainian population. The electricity infrastructure should finally be eliminated, destroying the 750kv substations that were not attacked for fear of damage to the nuclear power plants.
The risk should be taken and Ukraine should be left without electricity, just as Ukraine, faced with huge losses, is about to order another mobilisation, leaving the country without electricity would create total chaos, confusion and millions of Ukrainians would leave, limiting the ability to recruit.
Likewise, as has been happening since February 24, many civilians will seek refuge in the Galician part of Ukraine.
Here special emphasis should be placed on attacking the civilian and dual infrastructure. Due to the proximity, electricity to these cities can come from Europe, but not heat for the homes, so heating stations and if possible hospitals should be attacked, giving 2 days notice to evacuate them.
In this way, there would be no comfortable "safe space" for the civilian population who would simply undertake another exodus to Europe and Russia as refugees.

In general, this is my opinion and an appropriate response, as attacking Estonia would mean nuclear war.
Of course, none of this will happen.

This guy isn't even Russian.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

NihilCredo posted:

start a terror campaign?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

NihilCredo posted:

Good loving luck, you're going to need it.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
More of an AI post than GBS, but these are before/after pics of an impounded/confiscated Land Cruiser Prado that was converted into a medevac vehicle and has been/will be donated to Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/poznaks/status/1696477561172193332/photo/1

NihilCredo posted:

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, but I will be entirely unsurprised if/when most ordinary Russians, including the ones who fled from the country after the war began, will simply move on after the war ends and will not have much of a national debate about the war, what led to it and the consequences. There will not be much of the collective guilt that Germans developed after WWII.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Puccia is winning so hard, thank you very much! 99% of the enemy ordnance flung at Ukraine in retaliation was neutralized.

e: Unfortunately three people in Kyiv were killed due to falling debris :(

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

I think those missiles and bombs would be better used on the battlefield that they're losing. But then I'm not an authoritarian tankie shithead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

The bad side is the game's economic structure and pay-to-win vehicles coupled with the round-based nature and individual goals makes the player base salty as hell. Imagine if a LoL player could post a technical manual on why Amumu has armor piercing rounds (dont @ me I know nothing about LoL and had to google a character name)

I’m going to @ you because this is actually a pretty funny comparison. Last time I played, Amumu was a crying emo mummy whose tears hurt his opponents. So now I’m imagining some kid posting chemistry results on the acidity of tears and screaming for buffs and it’s pretty funny. Thanks.

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Why are you posting a Twitter nobody? Who cares what these morons think

Also while I really appreciate you taking time to post the reports, Zone, there's that enery in the after comment of the kid behind the ring of kids actually fighting, shouting "yeah you and what army huh??".

And maybe I'm just having a bad morning but I'm not at all convinced russia is so hosed it couldn't cause even more misery, because it's apparently their jam. So, living "next door" and raising children here, I dunno how mocking the probability of them actually winning a war vs being able to harm civilians in neighboring countries for years to come in a WW3 scenario flies with people further away, but I'd rather not take any of the harm they've caused and still can cause lightly.

Horrorosaurus fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 30, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think those missiles and bombs would be better used on the battlefield that they're losing. But then I'm not an authoritarian tankie shithead.

They would have to find actual military targets to use them on, something Puccia and the traitors working for them aren't very good at.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nelson Mandingo posted:

But then I'm not an authoritarian tankie shithead.

The technical term is genocide enthusiast.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Horrorosaurus posted:

Also while I really appreciate you taking time to post the reports, Zone, there's that enery in the after comment of the kid behind the ring of kids actually fighting, shouting "yeah you and what army huh??".

And maybe I'm just having a bad morning but I'm not at all convinced russia is so hosed it couldn't cause even more misery, because it's apparently their jam. So, living "next door" and raising children here, I dunno how mocking the probability of them actually winning a war vs being able to harm civilians in neighboring countries for years to come in a WW3 scenario flies with people further away, but I'd rather not take any of the harm they've caused and still can cause lightly.

If I did come off as sounding like that, I apologize, but that comment in particular greatly annoyed me for some reason given the kind of copes these twitter vatniks come up with. As far as we're able to see for the time being it's not likely that they can recover from the damage done in this war at all. Very recently Gazprom announced, for instance, that they lost 92% of Year on Year revenue, which is massive. Every day brings with it more severe losses to irreplaceable equipment. Sanctions are still biting, despite not being 100% effective. And even more recently, the cost of bread is beginning to go up. That last named bit has probably done more for ending the war than anything else has in the last several months.

Once again, I apologize if I sounded too flippant about the realities of the situation, because what I was saying was mainly directed at the cope involved more than anything else.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

A single death is a bloodlust, a million deaths are technically not genocide, and they didnt happen.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

More of an AI post than GBS, but these are before/after pics of an impounded/confiscated Land Cruiser Prado that was converted into a medevac vehicle and has been/will be donated to Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/poznaks/status/1696477561172193332/photo/1

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, but I will be entirely unsurprised if/when most ordinary Russians, including the ones who fled from the country after the war began, will simply move on after the war ends and will not have much of a national debate about the war, what led to it and the consequences. There will not be much of the collective guilt that Germans developed after WWII.

Ordinary people tend to live lives and not participate in natonal debates, same was true for postwar Germany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What will it take to fix russia? Like, how many generations of exactly what jesus christ good lord what??? will it take?