Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Twerk from Home posted:

Any driver who has ever attempted to charge any EV hates Electrify America with a burning passion. They're incredible fuckups.

wrong. my one (1) time ever, ever using EA just worked, we just plugged in our Ford Mustang Mach-E. based on this, it sounds like a skill issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The EA chargers in Green River UT being completely non functional forced me to give a flatbed driver a blow job all the way to Grand Junction which was the closest place I could fast charge.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

The EA chargers in Green River UT being completely non functional forced me to give a flatbed driver a blow job all the way to Grand Junction which was the closest place I could fast charge.

Me, a homeless guy: 👍🏻

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bird with big dick posted:

How does that convert to mpg or mpge

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

priznat posted:

How does that convert to mpg or mpge

Trip's about 100 miles but I couldn't guess how many gallons

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Twerk from Home posted:

Any driver who has ever attempted to charge any EV hates Electrify America with a burning passion. They're incredible fuckups.

Two years ago they were consistently fuckups but for the last year and a half I have had no complaints, I activate charging through the app and it works every time, or their network is down and it instantly starts a complimentary session :shrug:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Chronojam posted:

Trip's about 100 miles but I couldn't guess how many gallons

would come down to skill I imagine

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

would come down to skill I imagine

:perfect:

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Its almost like Tesla knows how to make an EV battery last.

Tesla also takes advantage of excellent battery technology from CATL and BYD.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Question about the ability to retain charge.

How long can an EV not appreciably lose charge if it's parked? Scenario is lets say you are parking a car at an airport or whatever for 3 weeks/month in "normal" weather conditions (not super hot or super cold) but in a non serviced long term parking spot so you can't just leave it attached to 110.

Is it reasonable to say the range will not majorly change from when you parked? Or is it totally reasonable to expect a fairly significant loss?

Honest question as I have zero clue but curious.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

slidebite posted:

How long can an EV not appreciably lose charge if it's parked? Scenario is lets say you are parking a car at an airport or whatever for 3 weeks/month in "normal" weather conditions (not super hot or super cold) but in a non serviced long term parking spot so you can't just leave it attached to 110.

Is it reasonable to say the range will not majorly change from when you parked? Or is it totally reasonable to expect a fairly significant loss?

Last time I left my Polestar 2 at the airport for a week I don稚 think it lost any charge. Teslas can lose something like 2% a day if you leave sentry mode on.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

slidebite posted:

I'd bet on the 12V battery going flat before you lose an appreciable amount of high voltage battery charge. How long can a gas car park and start up fine? That's how long I'd expect an EV to be fine.

Edit: looks like Teslas lose more, but other brands that aren't waking up the car all the time apparently lose about 2-3% charge per month.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Twerk from Home posted:

EA chargers have been the most problem free of all of the ones I致e tried with the Mach-E. I know they generally seem to suck for everyone else but I look for EA chargers specifically when fast charging.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wolrah posted:

AFAIK most of the full digital dash systems being implemented by the incumbent OEMs these days use something like QNX's automotive hypervisor platform where the safety relevant and/or legally required display elements are managed by the QNX RTOS and then Android Automotive or some other usually Linuxy thing can run as a VM to handle the infotainment aspects. The RTOS is always able to draw over top of the infotainment system and areas of the display can be defined as off limits to lower privilege components, but this also means that the entire infotainment VM can crash and be "rebooted" without impacting the important parts.

This makes a lot of sense actually, thanks

Probably why I never have any issues with mine because I just connect to Bluetooth audio which is managed by the onboard system

Kind of makes sense that Android Auto or whatever the Apple equivalent is, runs in a sandbox and of course it's going to be a crashy disgusting mess trying to talk to the car central computer API

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd bet on the 12V battery going flat before you lose an appreciable amount of high voltage battery charge. How long can a gas car park and start up fine? That's how long I'd expect an EV to be fine.

Edit: looks like Teslas lose more, but other brands that aren't waking up the car all the time apparently lose about 2-3% charge per month.
Teslas can be put into modes where they lose very little charge over time while parked, but can also be put into modes where they consume significant battery the entire time. The biggest energy consumer when parked would be sentry mode, which keeps the vehicle awake and consuming some ~300-400w running all the cameras and motion tracking software and cooling system for the autopilot computer responsible. But any time the vehicle is "awake" it is using about that much energy at rest. The other one is there are apps out there that pull the tesla API for tracking/logging purposes and can keep the vehicle "awake" if they do it wrong. If you disable all of those things and never check the official tesla app and then confirm the vehicle goes into deep sleep properly (usually takes about 10-15 minutes), they can sit for extended times while using very little battery. Unlike ICE vehicles when powered off, a Tesla (and probably other EVs) will wake up periodically to recharge the accessory battery which will consume a few percent per month. And finally lithium-ion batteries will self-discharge over time, but that would probably be low single digit percent per month. So if you leave a Tesla parked with some 80% charge, if everything works correctly it should be able to sit for even multiple months while losing very little charge. But if something doesn't go right, it could run the battery down significantly and it is sometimes hard to figure out what it will do.

If you want absolute piece of mind, powering down, then disconnecting the accessory battery will guarantee that the vehicle doesn't wake up because the accessory battery is responsible for closing the contactors to the HV battery, it is essentially serving the same function as the starter battery on an ICE vehicle and thus prevents it from coming on at all no matter what. So all that will happen is the HV battery self discharge, which should be very very slow in a healthy pack. Then you would just have to follow the procedure for jump starting one from a dead accessory battery by packing a small jump starter capable power bank with you when you get back. But I'd be somewhat hesitant to recommend that in newer Teslas that have an oddball ~16v lithium accessory battery instead of the older ones that have a more ordinary 12v lead acid (although even the lead acid ones are still different from the style that ICE vehicles use, but they should be "safer" to jump start with a cheap power bank).

If done properly EVs should be able to sit parked for a pretty long time without an issue, but the vehicle being internet connected can throw a wrench in that, and standby services like sentry mode guarantee a high consumption.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Hadlock posted:

This makes a lot of sense actually, thanks

Probably why I never have any issues with mine because I just connect to Bluetooth audio which is managed by the onboard system

Kind of makes sense that Android Auto or whatever the Apple equivalent is, runs in a sandbox and of course it's going to be a crashy disgusting mess trying to talk to the car central computer API

Actually, no, unless something has changed Carplay/Android Auto are just flat out video feeds with basically nothing running on the car but a small service to feed very limited information back and forth, dial turns and touch screen touch coordinates basically. Apple can get back EV charge information from the Mach-E and trigger turn by turn on the instrument cluster on the Mach-E and I believe even those are limited just to the Mach-E, or at least were for a while. Carplay is basically a glorified version of iPod Out.

Carplay 2 has more communication with car systems but really not that much is known about it, I'm guessing it is basically the same with more video feeds out and limited access to the low security car bus interface.

Android Automotive is what you are thinking about Android being actually on the car itself, but even then, it is sandboxed within QNX, or at least can be, I suspect it is always running on some certified RTOS, almost certainly QNX on everything.

Car systems are just loving weird, if you look closely stuff like odometer, warning lights and speedometer and car instrument panels just looks a little off visually on a lot of cars, as some one mentioned before, it's because the important stuff is running natively on the RTOS and all the animations and stuff are fed by an onboard computer that can just crash NBD.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

I just left the model 3 for 20 days in an uncovered airport parking lot with overheat protection on but no sentry mode. It dropped 2%. This car is a little over 5 years old with 80k miles. I remember the first time I left for a trip, I obsessively checked it twice a day for a week and it dropped 6-8%. Lol, It was even in the same SFO parking lot. So don't check the Tesla app and it'll be fine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Car and Driver just dropped a review on the Volvo V60 PHEV!

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a44888521/2024-volvo-v60-t8-polestar-test/

Interesting the onboard charger is 3.7kW in the US, it is 6.4kW in :canada:

Quarter mile in 12.5 @ 111mph :getin: (I will never go this fast in it)

priznat fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 30, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Teslas can lose something like 2% a day if you leave sentry mode on.

My rule of thumb is 1% every 3 hours for sentry.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

QuarkJets posted:

Two years ago they were consistently fuckups but for the last year and a half I have had no complaints, I activate charging through the app and it works every time, or their network is down and it instantly starts a complimentary session :shrug:

This has been my experience too, they've made massive improvements over the last couple years.

Biggest issue I've seen recently is they have nowhere NEAR enough capacity on the I5 corridor from Portland to Seattle, their stations are constantly full, with cars waiting at peak times.

My Leaf lost 0% charge while I had it parked over the course of a 7 month deployment. Of course any car with active battery heating or cooling should use some battery while parked, instead of twiddling its thumbs and wishing it could stop its battery from overheating.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
EA chargers are the worst CCS fast chargers, except for every other CCS fast charger.

I think they could probably get their shot together eventually, like others said there have seemed to be improvements, but man oh man it really should not be as janky as it is a lot of the time, and the capacity needs to be way way higher.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

priznat posted:

Car and Driver just dropped a review on the Volvo V60 PHEV!

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a44888521/2024-volvo-v60-t8-polestar-test/

Interesting the onboard charger is 3.7kW in the US, it is 6.4kW in :canada:

Quarter mile in 12.5 @ 111mph :getin: (I will never go this fast in it)

As a Volt driver whose last car was a wagon, this is extremely my jam. Price seems a bit high to me for what it is though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tyro posted:

As a Volt driver whose last car was a wagon, this is extremely my jam. Price seems a bit high to me for what it is though.

For me it痴 especially interesting because the CAD price is significantly lower than the US price after currency conversion (would be $56k USD). So it is right around the same cost as an m340i here but also a wagon and phev (sacrifice some roadfeel/handling though)

This seems to be one of the few times where :canada: actually gets a good deal (plus the beefier ac adapter)

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

priznat posted:

For me it痴 especially interesting because the CAD price is significantly lower than the US price after currency conversion (would be $56k USD). So it is right around the same cost as an m340i here but also a wagon and phev (sacrifice some roadfeel/handling though)

This seems to be one of the few times where :canada: actually gets a good deal (plus the beefier ac adapter)

Thank Trump and Biden!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Thank Trump and Biden!

Ahh some kind of tarriff shenanigans because they're built in Sweden?

If it was the equivalent of 72k USD here I would not be getting one either.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What's the standard charging rate from a 120v 15a? Pulling 1 kwh/hr. I've seen 1.4 kwh/hr quoted before so wondering if my outlet is low powered.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What's the standard charging rate from a 120v 15a? Pulling 1 kwh/hr. I've seen 1.4 kwh/hr quoted before so wondering if my outlet is low powered.

1.44 kW is the power you can get from a 15A line, but be aware that the EV's computer, cabling will drain some from there as well so 1kW is a more safe bet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

edit: ^^ yes

That's not how breakers work. They get hot and then trip. It's not like putting a water restrictor on your faucet/shower head to reduce the flow. On a slow blow breaker you can probably pull 16-17amps for 10-30 seconds in small spurts

The 1.0kw restriction is happening somewhere in software on the car/charger side, might be user adjustable if you tell it you have a 20 amp outlet (which aren't terribly uncommon, especially in modern kitchens)

double edit: don't tell your car you have a 20a outlet if you don't actually have that outlet, fire hazard etc

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

priznat posted:

Ahh some kind of tarriff shenanigans because they're built in Sweden?

If it was the equivalent of 72k USD here I would not be getting one either.

pretty sure most of the polestars are built in China.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

GlassEye-Boy posted:

pretty sure most of the polestars are built in China.

this is the volvo v60 with the "polestar" tune, silly naming scheme they got going. It's built in the big factory in sweden they got

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I did check and it is actually on a 20a breaker but the charger must be assuming it's plugged into a 15a 5-15r. Same charger with 14-50p does pull 32a on my 14-50r at home. This is the VW charger that comes with an ID4. The only setting on the car is to.limit charging which I think sets the draw to 8a.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

There are two calculations you can do to figure this out yourself.

First, take the size of the breaker (15A) and multiply it by 80%. Best practice is to not exceed 80% of the breaker. 15A × 0.8 = 12A

Now multiply that by 120V. 12A × 125V = 1500 VA = 1500 W = 1.5kW

---

To get kW from kWh/h, just cancel out hours on the top with hours on the bottom. 1.4kWh/h = 1.4kW

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

priznat posted:

this is the volvo v60 with the "polestar" tune, silly naming scheme they got going. It's built in the big factory in sweden they got

Volvo builds the V60 in Gent as well, but you're correct that all the Polestar ones coming to the US are Y series VINs out of Torslanda.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

priznat posted:

lol, well in that case I don't know why there is a premium compared to Canada.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

GlassEye-Boy posted:

lol, well in that case I don't know why there is a premium compared to Canada.

It's a market that Volvo has cornered at the moment, why not ask for a premium then?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Volvo builds the V60 in Gent as well, but you're correct that all the Polestar ones coming to the US are Y series VINs out of Torslanda.

Yah, same with the ones to Canada (probably both come on the same boat).

I wonder what they池e going to build in the swedish and belgium factories with the ICE models trailing off, EX90 is going to be china and south carolina, ex30 only china iirc. Maybe will expand production there.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just plonked down a $500 refundable deposit for the Volvo EX30, which should be available in fall next year. It checked all the right boxes for us: tiny non-Sedan with 270 miles of range.

That said I知 pretty sure the $35k base model will have nothing and we値l need to pony up $10k or something to get ACC and all the bells and whistles.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vegetable posted:

I just plonked down a $500 refundable deposit for the Volvo EX30, which should be available in fall next year. It checked all the right boxes for us: tiny non-Sedan with 270 miles of range.

That said I知 pretty sure the $35k base model will have nothing and we値l need to pony up $10k or something to get ACC and all the bells and whistles.

If they use the same trim as europe, ACC is on all trim, the only ADAS you get with higher trims is rear auto brake and park assist.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Belgium has the ICE and EV XC40 as well as the XC60. EV is still pretty low volume so as it expands I expect Torslanda will be re-tooled. Gent seems like a possible closure candidate (without any inside knowledge)

Vegetable posted:

if XC40 recharge pricing is any indicator, you'll pay about $6K to go from base to the trim package with ACC and all the bells and whistles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wonder if they will go for the unlockable options after the fact, probably since polestar does that with their performance mode iirc?

I don稚 really mind that but I understand it bugs a lot of people as a business model.