Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’m temporarily using a different TV, and it supports HDR. The default settings look very washed out, is there some recommended setting or trick to calibrate it? I remember in the past D2’s HDR was broken but I thought it had gotten fixed at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Kith posted:

other games DO exist. you know that right
game's fun, and i like all the changes made this season.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Sestze posted:

game's fun

:hmmyes:

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I'm not a fan of overload hand cannon breaker this season. I don't remember that being paired before.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

AzureSkys posted:

I'm not a fan of overload hand cannon breaker this season. I don't remember that being paired before.

Same, which is why I specced into Overload MG as soon as I could

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Overload HC was around when 120s were super popular. Peoples had the same complaint, they fired too slow for master+ champs which just regened to full health before you could get a second stun in.

The solution is to use one that has timed or explosive payload as all the extra hits count. Like a 180rpm Seventh Seraph.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

I’m temporarily using a different TV, and it supports HDR. The default settings look very washed out, is there some recommended setting or trick to calibrate it? I remember in the past D2’s HDR was broken but I thought it had gotten fixed at some point
I spent about 4 hours trying to get it to look better last night, so I'm not sure I'm right, but mostly the advice I found was:

Update your TVs firmware and check the HDMI cable supports high transfer rate;

Set everything to default in the game, system and TV, and turn off any contrast or colour enhancements;

Turn your brightness, contrast and colour up to at least 75 on the TV;*

Then calibrate the system min / max brightness (if you change the brightness on the TV you'll need to recalibrate this each time);

Finally, tweak the in-game settings.

If that all fails, set everything to default again, set the RGB range to standard on the system and repeat.

Still not sure it looks right (and it definitely still looks a bit weird in PS4 Diablo 4) but it looks better than it did. You'd think having a Sony TV and Sony PS5 would make it easier to get the HDR to work, but apparently that's only on newer Bravias.

Or just buy a new TV / monitor that supports autoconfig between the system and screen, which makes the process infinitely easier since then you just have to tweak the game.

* This seems to be the main thing - with SDR you generally turn the TV brightness down so it doesn't look blown out and overexposed, and stops the brighter parts from destroying shadow detail.

With HDR on some TVs, if you set the brightness and contrast low, it just puts a 'cap' on higher values so the lightest bits end up looking flat and washed out. Sort of like in photoshop if you reduced the levels/output value, it just flattens the top of the white values.

It takes some getting used to because at first I was looking at it and thinking 'this is too bright' but the difference is the kind of screen brightness that would blow out an SDR image can still keep all the detail in HDR, if that makes sense.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Majere posted:

Overload HC was around when 120s were super popular. Peoples had the same complaint, they fired too slow for master+ champs which just regened to full health before you could get a second stun in.

The solution is to use one that has timed or explosive payload as all the extra hits count. Like a 180rpm Seventh Seraph.

Better yet Malfeasance

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Mill Village posted:

Better yet Malfeasance

I’m almost done with that exotic grind but I don’t want to play anymore gambit. I just want malfeasance.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Friends don’t let friends play Gambit.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I spent about 4 hours trying to get it to look better last night, so I'm not sure I'm right, but mostly the advice I found was:

Update your TV firmware and check the HDMI cable supports a high transfer rate;

Set everything to default in the game, system, and TV, and turn off any contrast or color enhancements;

Turn your brightness, contrast, and color up to at least 75 on the TV;*

Then calibrate the system min/max brightness (if you change the brightness on the TV, you'll need to recalibrate this each time);

Finally, tweak the in-game settings.

If that fails, set everything to default again, set the RGB range to standard on the system, and repeat.

Still not sure it looks right (and it definitely still looks a bit weird in PS4 Diablo 4), but it looks better than it did. You'd think having a Sony TV and Sony PS5 would make it easier to get the HDR to work, but apparently, that's only on newer Bravias.

Or just buy a new TV/monitor that supports auto-config between the system and screen, which makes the process infinitely easier since then you just have to tweak the game.

* This seems to be the main thing - with SDR, you generally turn the TV brightness down so it doesn't look blown out and overexposed, and it stops the brighter parts from destroying shadow detail.

With HDR on some TVs, if you set the brightness and contrast low, it just puts a 'cap' on higher values so the lightest bits look flat and washed out. Sort of like in Photoshop, if you reduce the levels/output value, it flattens the top of the white values.

It takes some getting used to because, at first, I was looking at it and thinking, 'This is too bright,' but the difference is the kind of screen brightness that would blow out an SDR image can still keep all the detail in HDR if that makes sense.

The trick with HDR and D2 is:
- Set it to SD
- Set all the brightness/contrast levels to default in-game.
- Switch back to HDR
- Set up HDR in-game.

Yes, SD contrast/brightness settings affect HDR for unknown reasons other than *~*Bungie*~*

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Heads up, the Void attunement card for Spires / Altars of Summoning is busted. And by busted I mean void damage suppresses you if you're close enough. It will also suppress your teammates if you shoot them with a void weapon :allears:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Friends don’t let friends play Gambit.

you live the life of a coward!!!

T1g4h posted:

Heads up, the Void attunement card for Spires / Altars of Summoning is busted. And by busted I mean void damage suppresses you if you're close enough. It will also suppress your teammates if you shoot them with a void weapon :allears:

i will use this information for evil, thank you

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
In Gambit it is important to remember, Symmetry is amazing while invading. It carried me so hard a few years ago when I got the Malfeasance.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Gambit is more fun than Serious Crucible

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

T1g4h posted:

I love this game

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kith posted:

you live the life of a coward!!!

* Opens the last 8 TWABS *
* Ctrl-f "gambit" *
* 0 results *

Bungie also hates Gambit. :v:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Gambit is fine as long as you're not being asked to get void ability kills as a hunter.

If you're looking to grind activities for stuff like the seasonal exotic catalyst progression, catalyst drops from ritual activity completions, or just for more seasonal engrams, the match turnover rate is quite breezy.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
it feels like the fastest rep grind to rank 7 (for the shader) each season too if I do it during double rep week

so I do that and then forget it exists for another 3 months

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Season of the Witch is probably the best season in Lightfall so far but even then I'm kind of slowing down on it already. The model is just really stale - I hope they actually shake it up in Final Shape.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

As stale as the 4x3 upgrade table thing is, I think replacing it with this weirdo advent calendar is somehow worse. Looking forward to unlocking the typical red border upgrades at complete random six weeks from now (if they even exist).
Feels like last season hit the sweet spot-- do these specific pseudo-seasonal challenge quests to unlock the upgrades, and then you're done thinking about it.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

ptroll posted:

As stale as the 4x3 upgrade table thing is, I think replacing it with this weirdo advent calendar is somehow worse. Looking forward to unlocking the typical red border upgrades at complete random six weeks from now (if they even exist).
Feels like last season hit the sweet spot-- do these specific pseudo-seasonal challenge quests to unlock the upgrades, and then you're done thinking about it.

I think the point is that they aren't going to do the same thing two seasons in a row.

Honestly, I think I prefer the occasional miss if that means it wont be so formulaic

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, experiments and weird poo poo were what people were asking for for years and I'm OK with it. Even if it makes it harder to to perfectly pre-optimize your path through the season, because people who do that are boring

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the deck thing is really loving cool but i wish i could unlock things faster instead of being gated

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Is there a way to take advantage of the self-damage from Tommy’s matchbook?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

smallmouth posted:

If you die in the game you die irl

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

smallmouth posted:

there's a stasis aspect that gives you grenade energy for taking damage. mask of the quiet one also gives ability energy when you take damage.

otherwise not really

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I really hope they stick to their guns with the TFS campaign and just have it be, like, a traditional campaign where you go from mission to mission, not interrupted with "now do some public events I guess idc" because honestly I feel like that's still the proven method for a good campaign.

Also I'm really happy with the tools they're giving us outside of bigger damage number makers. Especially in a shooter with excellent raids and dungeons I really have been wanting to see more support and utility options outside of Aeon Cult arms. DPS is still going to be important for those boss phases, but I look forward to being an insane little Solar methhead support. Just throwing around heals and cures, and all sorts of buffs.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

ptroll posted:

I got two guaranteed red border focuses today from random cards.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

syntaxfunction posted:

Also I'm really happy with the tools they're giving us outside of bigger damage number makers. Especially in a shooter with excellent raids and dungeons I really have been wanting to see more support and utility options outside of Aeon Cult arms. DPS is still going to be important for those boss phases, but I look forward to being an insane little Solar methhead support. Just throwing around heals and cures, and all sorts of buffs.

it's insane to me that it took them three years to come up with something as straightforward as Unrelenting and then another two years to figure out Repulsor Brace. destiny has always had a dearth of support/utility/defense tools and i've never really understood why i know exactly why, it's pvp

adding more sources of sustain or defense or crowd control has been extremely healthy for the game and i'm very much looking forward to seeing how Support Auto Rifles turn out

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

syntaxfunction posted:

I really hope they stick to their guns with the TFS campaign and just have it be, like, a traditional campaign where you go from mission to mission, not interrupted with "now do some public events I guess idc" because honestly I feel like that's still the proven method for a good campaign.

The final shape is a ring

Conclude the fight indeed Xur

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

smallmouth posted:

Maybe Pulse Monitor? It'd be a bit marginal, but not nothing either.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Kith posted:

adding more sources of sustain or defense or crowd control has been extremely healthy for the game and i'm very much looking forward to seeing how Support Auto Rifles turn out

As someone who gravitates to healer/support roles, I am excited to be able to shoot heal bullets at my fireteam in the near future

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

smallmouth posted:

Solar titan with Loreley Splendor can proc the sunspot heal while you're running and gunning. Enemies killed by overheated tommy's will spawn sunspots due to the scorch, letting you scoot from sunspot to sunspot.

Phoenix Cradle could be fun too, lets you set up a grip of friendly solar healing stations for everyone, as well as tommy's letting you keep Restoration from your grenade up all the time.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Cheap Trick posted:

As someone who gravitates to healer/support roles, I am excited to be able to shoot heal bullets at my fireteam in the near future

you can do that now, since season of opulence in 2019 even

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
The big problem with healing weapons is going to be getting on target before a stomp one shots someone. I hate having another pessimistic take but healing guns sound like something thing that will be great at levels where you don’t need anything in particular and mostly useless in higher level stuff. Damage reduction buffs seem like a better match for most encounters.

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 31, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

sunday at work posted:

The big problem with healing weapons is going to be getting on target before a stomp one shots someone. I hate having another pessimistic take but healing guns sound like something thing that will be great at levels where you don’t need anything in particular and mostly useless in higher level stuff. Damage reduction buffs seem like a better match for most encounters.

Yeah and there's a gun that literally shoots Woven Mail and I don't think that's particularly endgame relevant, is it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Woven Mail is incredibly good and it the gun pairs with the warlock helmet that targets and generates heavy for the team. It’s bound to find some place in endgame the same way Aeons and other not pure DPS utility options do

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MJeff posted:

Yeah and there's a gun that literally shoots Woven Mail and I don't think that's particularly endgame relevant, is it?

It's also extremely rare because you have to grind Ghosts of the Deep for it and no one wants to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

sunday at work posted:

One problem is there’s no way to tell what another player’s health is.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 31, 2023