Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Blind Duke posted:

2fort, the poster child for ctf maps, turning into the definitive hangout and vibes map has created a weird digital social environment and association with the game mode

2fort is kind of fascinating in being so bad, its almost incomprehensibly lovely, I don't think there's a single good thing I can say about it. It's badness has this complexity to it that you could write a book on.

Contrary to popular belief, its not even fun bad in the way that something like Hightower is, 2fort has way less room to really do anything wacky or unexpected that make for a good loving around with a dumb gimmick map.

Funnily enough, in my time playing TF2 on random servers I have played dozens of user modified variations on 2fort. 90% of them are far better than regular 2fort by just doing basic things like opening up the central area or giving additional routes to the Intel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

2Fort as a 5CP map might work if you upscale it a lot. You have the bridge with the two front decks at mid, that's the most important part, but you could probably make sort of a Badlands bridge out of it if you dry out the water so you can fight beneath it. 2nd would be like, big yard with a house on one side, almost like a piece of Harvest. Last you could shape sort of like the Coldfront last, and then run sewers beneath the sides. It probably couldn't be literal Two Fort but it could be workable if you squint a bit at the pieces.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Now you mention it, Badlands is certainly a map with two forts with a bridge between them.
Actually, so is Doublecross

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Badlands is the perfect map. All the maps that followed it were attempts at a second-best.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The big mods I'd see needing to do is changing the sewer to be an actual flank route to attack second from (and not just lead to exactly the same room that the front door leads to), and the underground section of the base would need to be totally redone to work as a last point. Other than that you could largely maintain the soul of the map.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's really a bizarre map. It has so much cultural cachet in early TF2 as THE map, the de dust of tfc. But man in tf2 it just...sucks.

TFC is an odd beast, it was a formative game for me at the time, but the graphics were simple enough that I readily ascribed to it a level of sci fi militarism that is utterly removed from TF2.

tfc is my favourite fps to date. TF2 has better visuals, characters, voicing, production values and effort put into it etc but tfc's gameplay was on another level

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

nielsm posted:

Now you mention it, Badlands is certainly a map with two forts with a bridge between them.
Actually, so is Doublecross

Yeah, doublecross always felt to me like they took 2fort and said "can we make a good map out of this?" And you know what, no they didn't because tf2's ctf is loving awful, but it's certainly better than 2fort.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bring back the convoluted and confusing "Rock" map with the gassing of prisoners.

Edit: That's what it was, right? I'm not making that up?

mutata fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 30, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

did cactus canyon and asteroid ever get finished?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No they got deleted, they're gone now.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

mutata posted:

Bring back the convoluted and confusing "Rock" map with the gassing of prisoners.

Edit: That's what it was, right? I'm not making that up?

I forget the gassing part but I do remember this map because you could open up another route for attackers by taking a really long detour and busting through the ground yeah

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

No they got deleted, they're gone now.

what the gently caress

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Geight posted:

I forget the gassing part but I do remember this map because you could open up another route for attackers by taking a really long detour and busting through the ground yeah

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Rock_2_(Classic)

Kind of: The team that loses gets gassed post-match, apparently.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That was one of the things the primarily set the demolitions man apart from the soldier in TFC, having the Det Pack special bomb that could activate certain map objectives, to open alternate paths in or out. Without that and the hand grenades, the main difference between soldier and demoman is whether the explosives bounce or explode on contact.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Demoman splash damage pierces through player collision where Soldier splash damage doesn't!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

demoman is a well designed class for good players that fills a unique niche like almost every other class and is very powerful while still having substantial weaknesses and soldier is a badly designed class for babies that is good at everything and has no weaknesses

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Johnny 5forts sounds like an amazing idea and I hope someone makes it. Matches on it would never ever ever end.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

cock hero flux posted:

removing engineer would matter a lot for pubs

I remember someone proposing limiting the normal sentry to level 2 and that he'd be a bit nicer to play against, but sticky bombs just kinda gently caress his rear end anwyays.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dizz posted:

I remember someone proposing limiting the normal sentry to level 2 and that he'd be a bit nicer to play against, but sticky bombs just kinda gently caress his rear end anwyays.

nah he needs the level 3, making him nicer to play against would also inherently make him useless. the point of the regular sentry is that it has to be the turbomurder zone, otherwise you might as well just use minis and have the sentry annoy them while you kill them with your shotgun, which tends to piss people off even more. If a regular sentry isn't able to reliably deny an area of the map to any random enemy that wanders in without preparation, then there's no reason for it to exist.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The level 2 sentry mulches people, it deals identical damage as the level 3 most of the time since rockets have a cooldown and aren't guaranteed to hit people outside of close range due to travel time. The big advantage of the level 3 is the extra hp.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Countblanc posted:

The level 2 sentry mulches people, it deals identical damage as the level 3 most of the time since rockets have a cooldown and aren't guaranteed to hit people outside of close range due to travel time. The big advantage of the level 3 is the extra hp.

the level 2 does the same damage, yes, but the lack of HP means that a demo or soldier who bumbles into its field of fire can reliably kill it on reaction, and so can pyros and heavies if its placed close enough to them. The lack of HP prevents it from effectively denying part of the map because the exact classes that are likely to be running into it (minus scout) are often going to be able to just knock it over and keep moving. The Level 2 also tracks slower which allows scouts to either just run past it or sometimes even kill by just outrunning its ability to track.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

cock hero flux posted:

the level 2 does the same damage, yes, but the lack of HP means that a demo or soldier who bumbles into its field of fire can reliably kill it on reaction, and so can pyros and heavies if its placed close enough to them. The lack of HP prevents it from effectively denying part of the map because the exact classes that are likely to be running into it (minus scout) are often going to be able to just knock it over and keep moving. The Level 2 also tracks slower which allows scouts to either just run past it or sometimes even kill by just outrunning its ability to track.

Rockets are also a big deal if it's covering a blind corner, which you generally want to do anyhow. At long range yeah they're just an inconvenience (and even a liability against pyros) but at short to even medium range they let the sentry just delete people who would otherwise be able to backpedal to (relative) safety.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

cock hero flux posted:

nah he needs the level 3, making him nicer to play against would also inherently make him useless. the point of the regular sentry is that it has to be the turbomurder zone, otherwise you might as well just use minis and have the sentry annoy them while you kill them with your shotgun, which tends to piss people off even more. If a regular sentry isn't able to reliably deny an area of the map to any random enemy that wanders in without preparation, then there's no reason for it to exist.

Don't underestimate level 1s! They're better than the minisentry in almost every way. They do more damage, have more health, and with the Jag the build time is actually faster than an unboosted mini. The most crucial thing is the health -- at 100 health, a mini can be one-shot by pills, arrows, or the direct hit. A level 1's 150 health puts it above the one-shot threshold for every weapon in the game minus a fully charged sniper rifle, meaning you can actually heal it. A level 1 being healed by the rescue ranger is incredibly effective. There are only two ways the mini wins -- deploy time when being boosted, and initial health. A mini is a far better thing to put in front of a charging demoman than a level 1.

I don't actually upgrade my level 1s very much. It's usually my last priority. This is because each upgrade level adds 1.6 seconds to the redeploy time. A level 1 can be redployed in a little over 2 seconds and takes 2 Jag swings to complete. (A freshly built one takes 4 Jag swings.) Constantly redeploying your sentry is key with this strategy, and a level 1 can be shooting players way before a redeployed level 2 or 3 can.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jag and Rescue Ranger is my favorite Engineer combo, it's in my opinion his version of "offclassing" like roaming huntsman Snipers. You can poo poo out a Level 1 in a place you can see from elsewhere, haul rear end over there behind enemy lines, and grab it from its spot and redeploy in less than a minute. Dangerous but super effective because you don't have to hold the sentry and can thus still shoot.

Edit: Hell, then you can *go rejoin your team at its original spot * and keep healing it from afar. It's kind of nuts if you get one on say the roof of Badwater 2nd from the rocks where Blu starts.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 30, 2023

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Don't underestimate level 1s! They're better than the minisentry in almost every way. They do more damage, have more health, and with the Jag the build time is actually faster than an unboosted mini. The most crucial thing is the health -- at 100 health, a mini can be one-shot by pills, arrows, or the direct hit. A level 1's 150 health puts it above the one-shot threshold for every weapon in the game minus a fully charged sniper rifle, meaning you can actually heal it. A level 1 being healed by the rescue ranger is incredibly effective. There are only two ways the mini wins -- deploy time when being boosted, and initial health. A mini is a far better thing to put in front of a charging demoman than a level 1.

I don't actually upgrade my level 1s very much. It's usually my last priority. This is because each upgrade level adds 1.6 seconds to the redeploy time. A level 1 can be redployed in a little over 2 seconds and takes 2 Jag swings to complete. (A freshly built one takes 4 Jag swings.) Constantly redeploying your sentry is key with this strategy, and a level 1 can be shooting players way before a redeployed level 2 or 3 can.

I think the big thing about the mini is the build time is faster if you're not standing around whacking it, which means you can drop and shoot and the person you're facing has to make a choice. also takes less metal

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

It's possible for a scout to solo an unattended level 2 sentry, quickly. It takes being able come out of cover somewhat close to it, and timing it so that the sentry is pointing a bit away from them when they do so, then circle strafing. Doesn't usually work with level 3s.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah the jag is great for rapid enforcement of pushes.

Plop a sentry down just behind your team, now they got a little buddy to help them escape bad fights. Bonus points if you manage to set up a dispenser

Really jag gameplay for me is playing "places where a sentry should not be"

If you can sneak around a place it where no one expects its, youd be suprised how many players you can catch with thier pants down

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

resistentialism posted:

It's possible for a scout to solo an unattended level 2 sentry, quickly. It takes being able come out of cover somewhat close to it, and timing it so that the sentry is pointing a bit away from them when they do so, then circle strafing. Doesn't usually work with level 3s.

I like to jetpack at sentries at weird angles and circle strafe them to dead with a flamethrower. :v:

You can also delay their damage quite a bit by crouching right up against them. This makes them have to spend a lot of time aiming downwards at you for some reason.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

When I'm making a fresh sentry at spawn to take up to the frontline I usually will build it up to Level 2 with the upgrade meter to 175, that way I have the faster deploy time of a level 2 but I only need to give it one more whack to get it up to Level 3 once it's up(not to mention have enough leftover metal to get a dispenser and teleporter exit up if I need to)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

drrockso20 posted:

When I'm making a fresh sentry at spawn to take up to the frontline I usually will build it up to Level 2 with the upgrade meter to 175, that way I have the faster deploy time of a level 2 but I only need to give it one more whack to get it up to Level 3 once it's up(not to mention have enough leftover metal to get a dispenser and teleporter exit up if I need to)

Don't pre-build sentries at spawn unless it's startup time or you're doing some cheeky ninjaneer thing. You're far more valuable with a level 1 and your shotgun and/or pistol at the front line right now than 30 seconds later with a level 3, and you'll probably just die hauling the building that far without a teleporter anyways. The sentry is the least important Engineer building.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, doublecross always felt to me like they took 2fort and said "can we make a good map out of this?" And you know what, no they didn't because tf2's ctf is loving awful, but it's certainly better than 2fort.

Hot take, most CTF is loving awful, particularly in this day and age of matchmaking and progression/reward driven games. TF2's is still on the better side because you have community servers that don't take it particularly seriously and there's no real stakes.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
What is it about CTF that makes it so uniquely bad in TF2? Its not like your Quakes, Halos or Unreal Tournaments had this much of a problem with it. Is it just the fact that defensive play in TF2 is so powerful?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont think ctf's problem is "the drat tryhards"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Don't pre-build sentries at spawn unless it's startup time or you're doing some cheeky ninjaneer thing. You're far more valuable with a level 1 and your shotgun and/or pistol at the front line right now than 30 seconds later with a level 3, and you'll probably just die hauling the building that far without a teleporter anyways. The sentry is the least important Engineer building.

Well usually I'll do that only if I actually do have a teleporter up or if the distance between spawn and the frontline is relatively short

And in my case no I'm not more of a help up front with my shotgun, my accuracy with TF2 shotguns has always been abysmal* to the point of only marginally being above useless for anything besides maybe scaring away Spies(and only if they aren't skilled in using their revolver and/or at trickstabbing, if they're remotely competent with either than I'm more often then not screwed if I don't have any teammates nearby)

*like my accuracy with any weapon that isn't a Shotgun, Scattergun, Revolver, The Huntsman, or any Grenade Launcher generally ranges from decent to good but those weapons specifically I'm basically useless with

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

khwarezm posted:

What is it about CTF that makes it so uniquely bad in TF2? Its not like your Quakes, Halos or Unreal Tournaments had this much of a problem with it. Is it just the fact that defensive play in TF2 is so powerful?

You can fight your way into their base and get the intel but the spawn doors are in between you and the exit, so you're going to have to fight your way back out again.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Countblanc posted:

i dont think ctf's problem is "the drat tryhards"

Well, I feel like playing defensively behind a sentry or stickybomb trap on 2fort is generally the opposite of trying hard in this game.

Reiley posted:

You can fight your way into their base and get the intel but the spawn doors are in between you and the exit, so you're going to have to fight your way back out again.

From this POV, is it mostly just a map design problem? Could a great CTF map be in the making if they didn't have the enemy spawn between yourself and their intelligence? Are Valve and the community just weirdly bad at making CTF maps specifically?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 31, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

CTF in TF2's problem is you can't return the flag by touching it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's that engies exist in TF2, which is fine and good on it's own, but makes ctf loving dreadful. Maybe it'd work in medieval mode.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That would make progress almost impossible honestly, I absolutely understand why they do that.

Keep in mind that at one point, Valve decided to give a full on 10 second crit boost on default settings for the whole team that capped the intel, that's how bad they perceived the stalemate problem to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Nah that's never a good idea, the return speed should increase however when friendly players are standing near their flag

Also a lot of the problems with CTF in TF2 ultimately boil down to the default rules for it not being very good, rather than 3 cap limit with unlimited round time it should instead be a round with a set time but unlimited caps and whichever team has the most caps when the clock runs out is the one that wins, would actively encourage people to play the objective while also allowing people to gently caress around if they want since they don't have to worry about a couple try hard Scout mains ending the round in under two minutes