Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Possibly overkill, but I recently switched from the peak design clip to the large version of this, which I clip across the chest using two carbiners to the backpack chest strap: https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/products/camera-pod

:drat: Glad it's working for you, but yeah that would be a bit much for me.

My only real concern with the peak design clip is exactly that potential for bumping and rattling around, but since I use the rather small 18-55 90% of the time, I'm guessing it would be okay. That said, the reason I'm bringing this up now is that I'm doing a fairly strenuous 9-mile day hike in a couple weeks, and would rather not deal with my camera swinging around my hip for the whole ascent and descent. If it's just gonna be bouncing around my chest instead, that's not such a huge improvement. For more relaxed hiking, my current setup has been serviceable, if annoying.

Well, I guess it also might be kind of a pain to no longer be able to put my pack down without doing... something with the camera first, but I'm sure that can be figured out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

If I'm carrying a camera setup bigger than my x100v I use a Cotton Carrier Skout https://www.cottoncarrier.com/collections/all/products/grey-skout-camera

I have a peak design clip but I like being able to take my pack off while keeping my camera secure.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If I am still carrying a big camera up a mountain on a day hike, I would clip it on my chest or top of a day hike bag. Keep the weight at the center of my body and add a string cable to add security in case I clip the camera wrong.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Fuji has a summit in early September and the only rumor so far is they are announcing a new GF mount camera. Am I the only one feeling they are making a mistake in not releasing another X mount body, specifically a successor to the X-T30 (ii) or X-E4? The X-S20 feels very video oriented with the auto-vlogging setting and limited slots for custom settings. And it costs $1,300 for just the body. The X-T5 looks incredible, but it’s really the only retro style body available and $1,700 feels pretty steep.

It feels like there’s a hole at the bottom of the x-mount options right now with the X-E4 and X-T30 discontinued.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Brrrmph posted:

Fuji has a summit in early September and the only rumor so far is they are announcing a new GF mount camera. Am I the only one feeling they are making a mistake in not releasing another X mount body, specifically a successor to the X-T30 (ii) or X-E4? The X-S20 feels very video oriented with the auto-vlogging setting and limited slots for custom settings. And it costs $1,300 for just the body. The X-T5 looks incredible, but it’s really the only retro style body available and $1,700 feels pretty steep.

It feels like there’s a hole at the bottom of the x-mount options right now with the X-E4 and X-T30 discontinued.

I just want an x100-like with literally any other focal length. 28mm, 42mm, 50mm, whatever.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

charliebravo77 posted:

If I'm carrying a camera setup bigger than my x100v I use a Cotton Carrier Skout https://www.cottoncarrier.com/collections/all/products/grey-skout-camera

Nice, I came across this one yesterday and it seems like a solid option. You don't find the shoulder strap bothersome at all beneath a pack?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

runawayturtles posted:

Nice, I came across this one yesterday and it seems like a solid option. You don't find the shoulder strap bothersome at all beneath a pack?

Nah, doesn't bother me.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Brrrmph posted:

Perhaps I just lack imagination, but I can’t imagine what might be included in a potential X-T50 / X-T40 / X-T30III.

I have to assume any new features would be cribbed from the X-T5, and the only features not limited by the X-T30’s smaller size are the 40mp sensor, weather-resistance, and Nostalgic Neg. (And maybe things like better AF that are a bit harder to quantify.)

Of those, 40mp seems like the tentpole feature to justify a new model, but I can’t help wondering if that’s also restricted by the smaller body — would buffer size, write performance, and general power draw require the extra battery and cooling afforded by the X-T5’s bigger body? The X-T5’s already running a smaller buffer than the larger X-H2, so I can imagine squeezing it into an even smaller body might not be feasible.

I’m also wondering if the lack of IBIS would be more noticeable at the higher resolution?

[fake edit: release an X-T30 Monochrom you cowards

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

According to the photonstophotos guy at least, the X-T5 has worse base iso DR than the X-H2 despite having the same sensor, so it’s possible that something contained in the extra weight of the H2 is allowing for more processing or heat distribution or whatever that even the modest size reduction from H2 -> T5 eliminates. So yeah it’s not out of line to wonder if they could even make a worthwhile version of that sensor in an E/x0 series model.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

rohan posted:

[fake edit: release an X-T30 Monochrom you cowards

Monochrome xpro5 or similar would do so, so well. I'm surprised Fuji hasn't jumped on the monochrome hype with it already to be honest. It's their quirky not-rangefinder, not-film, semi-screenless retro camera so it's suited perfectly.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

Yeah, having the X-S20 as the intro-level camera just feels off considering the X-Tx0 line was their best seller and the X-E was what a lot of people probably would love to have (quirky rangefinder body, but without too many features).

Not having one of the classic-styled cameras at the entry level (never mind the old X-A lines that were popular in parts of Asia but third-party design) just feels like losing part of what made the X series unique.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I just want an x100-like with literally any other focal length. 28mm, 42mm, 50mm, whatever.

40-50mm X100 would make me so happy.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
For what it's worth, the X100V has both the wide-angle and telecoverter lenses. I have the wide one and it works reasonably well, though I'd see the appeal of having it be 50mm by default. Plus they're pretty expensive for what they are.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Do you both mean you’d prefer an x100 with 50mm in full frame terms (75mm ish on crop) or 35 mm (50ish mm)? Wouldn’t a fixed lens 50mm be way too restrictive?

I ask this actually because I kind of sort of agree in that I keep graduating to 35mm (50mm full frame) and up and find it really hard to take good shots with angles wider than that unless I’m trying to take group shots indoors. My 55-200 is becoming my most used lens - I keep trying to use my 18mm and finding jt too hard to take good shots. Everyone seems to love 23mm (35mm equivalent) but whatever that focal length should be good at (enviro portraits, street scenes, architecture?) I keep finding it easier to take more interesting pics with something longer.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I think it's probably also parts. Fuji had been stopping production of older models that sell well to allow them to make their flagships. With a humoured 100VI on the way (which will sell gangbusters) they just don't have the manufacturing throughput for more models.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

All I want from Fuji is the new film sims ported to the X-Pro3. One of the main reasons I got this thing was cause I expected the quality updates I got on the X-E2 and it has really not panned out. Sometimes I wonder if they forgot the pro line even exists.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I share your frustration as an X-T30 owner. Fuji claimed the mark ii was necessary because the original hardware could not handle the minimum upgrades, but I refuse to believe a couple film simulations would’ve been too much. They also did not give the new sims to the X-T3. It would be nice to have classic negative.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Late to the pod/clip party, but I've used the peak design one with the XF 16-80 attached and carried it up mountain hikes with no issues. It's pretty comfortable too.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

CRAYON posted:

All I want from Fuji is the new film sims ported to the X-Pro3. One of the main reasons I got this thing was cause I expected the quality updates I got on the X-E2 and it has really not panned out. Sometimes I wonder if they forgot the pro line even exists.

WhY areN’t you sHooTing RAW LikE a rEAl pHotogRAPher aren’T yoU serIOUs aboUt yoUR ART

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Clayton Bigsby posted:

WhY areN’t you sHooTing RAW LikE a rEAl pHotogRAPher aren’T yoU serIOUs aboUt yoUR ART

lol

you can use the film sims with your raw files :science:

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

rolleyes posted:

Late to the pod/clip party, but I've used the peak design one with the XF 16-80 attached and carried it up mountain hikes with no issues. It's pretty comfortable too.

Thanks, all the posts about this topic have been very helpful. Apparently I'm gonna be like next door to a peak design store this weekend, so might as well pop in with my bag and try it myself.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

tuna posted:

Monochrome xpro5 or similar would do so, so well. I'm surprised Fuji hasn't jumped on the monochrome hype with it already to be honest. It's their quirky not-rangefinder, not-film, semi-screenless retro camera so it's suited perfectly.

I would absolutely LOVE an X-mount monochrome Fuji. Almost pulled the trigger on that mod guys website but just a bit too pricey imo.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

frytechnician posted:

I would absolutely LOVE an X-mount monochrome Fuji. Almost pulled the trigger on that mod guys website but just a bit too pricey imo.

Are you talking about MaxMax? Looks like their prices have really jumped the past few years. Wasn't that long ago you could get a mono converted X-Pro for like 2500 bucks. Feels like Fuji should be able to put something out without a ton of R&D effort though; Pentax released a monochrome K-3 a while ago that goes for around $2200. Feels like a mono X100V should be doable under 2500 if Fuji wanted to and I would definitely buy one if it happened.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I love the idea of a monochrome camera but then I remember the DPReview Q2M video where the guy gushes about it for 10 minutes then the last shot is a candid of him taking a picture of a sunset with his phone. I want B&W like 90% of the time but there’s also times where it doesn’t work at all. Maybe once cell cameras get better I’ll commit.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Are you talking about MaxMax? Looks like their prices have really jumped the past few years. Wasn't that long ago you could get a mono converted X-Pro for like 2500 bucks. Feels like Fuji should be able to put something out without a ton of R&D effort though; Pentax released a monochrome K-3 a while ago that goes for around $2200. Feels like a mono X100V should be doable under 2500 if Fuji wanted to and I would definitely buy one if it happened.

Yeah, that's the guy. I'd want interchangeable lenses though if Fuji ever were to make a monochrome.

Hurry up Fuji, I have imaginary money to spend on this!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

qirex posted:

I love the idea of a monochrome camera but then I remember the DPReview Q2M video where the guy gushes about it for 10 minutes then the last shot is a candid of him taking a picture of a sunset with his phone. I want B&W like 90% of the time but there’s also times where it doesn’t work at all. Maybe once cell cameras get better I’ll commit.

I mean the Q2M is amazing. Half the reason I bought it was to take pictures of my kids playing inside since lighting is poo poo in the fall-winter and I hate blasting overhead lights.

But I had the cash to spend on it. Would I do it again? Ya probably - but I really like BW.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

qirex posted:

Coward!

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
You could always do a digital trichrome

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Blamestorm posted:

Do you both mean you’d prefer an x100 with 50mm in full frame terms

Yeah 50mm in full frame, so ~35 in Fuji land (though I’d be happy with anything between ~28-35).

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Vibe check on Fuji stuff (seems like its fine but never stop posting) I have a XT2 and a bunch of glass (100-400, several of the OG primes, kit zoom) and was wondering if there is any reason to not pick up a XT5 for a week long trip in a year or figure out switching to Nikon or something? Additionally, whats a decent pocket/small camera for when I don't want to haul around glass for example during a day on a bike. Sounds like the X100 series are hard to come by and I've been somewhat enamored with a GR3 but not sure what else there is for decent options. Maybe I should upgrade to GFX....

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

doomisland posted:

Vibe check on Fuji stuff (seems like its fine but never stop posting) I have a XT2 and a bunch of glass (100-400, several of the OG primes, kit zoom) and was wondering if there is any reason to not pick up a XT5 for a week long trip in a year or figure out switching to Nikon or something?

X-T5 seems like a big leap from the second gen sensors/processors. It sounds like almost the perfect Fuji X camera, so long as you’re looking at stills or hybrid instead of video-focus.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bought the OM-D E-M10 Mark 2 yesterday, so far I'm liking it. Only got a kit zoom lens with it, will probably get another lens later after getting used to the camera. 42 mm definitely feels too short at times.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

doomisland posted:

Vibe check on Fuji stuff (seems like its fine but never stop posting) I have a XT2 and a bunch of glass (100-400, several of the OG primes, kit zoom) and was wondering if there is any reason to not pick up a XT5 for a week long trip in a year or figure out switching to Nikon or something? Additionally, whats a decent pocket/small camera for when I don't want to haul around glass for example during a day on a bike. Sounds like the X100 series are hard to come by and I've been somewhat enamored with a GR3 but not sure what else there is for decent options. Maybe I should upgrade to GFX....

Do you want battery grip? XH2 over XT5. Apparently better autofocus, too. If you want those original analog controls, though, the XT5. The sensor is fantastic.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yeah when I looked at something like the XT4 a few years back it wasnt that compelling of an upgrade. XT5 definitely does and new body is a lot cheaper than switching to a full frame set up. Maybe do that and the 16-55mm lens for walk around for most of the time. Not much you cant grab with that lens without the super tele's

doomisland fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 29, 2023

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

doomisland posted:

See if you can find a used XT4. I was in the same boat and went XT4 because I got a good deal. Not missing anything.

That said - I do love my GFX gear… but it’s not equivalent. It’s not a pure quality upgrade - so make sure you know what you want to shoot and that it fits the GFX.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been jonesing for one of their GFX bodies for a few years now, the high megapixels along with a 65:24 crop setting in camera is drool material for me. Stitching panos works fine on my existing camera, but it would be so nice to not have to fuss with it.

But it feels like pro only territory, the gear is so expensive making money with it feels like a requirement.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Are some mirrorless cameras slow to start up and does the capacity of the card impact this? My X-T30 cost me a couple shots yesterday because it took 4-5 seconds to get going when I turned it on or pushed the shutter down to wake it up. I know it’s never going to be as fast as my Nikon DSLR, but it was frustrating. If it matters, I have a 256 GB card in it. The card is fast, Fuji recommended, and there were only a few dozen pictures on it.

Also, are the higher end Fuji bodies faster? Like does the X-T5 have less lag?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

4-5 seconds sounds a little excessive. Imaging Resource got a 1.3 second start up time. A card with lots of images can bog things down a bit but it doesn't sound like that is the case here.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I know, recent GF3 post and whatnot but... now I'm looking at the GX7. Bit of a bump, not lacking any features I care about, in-body IS. Will mostly/entirely be used for gimmick purposes with a 14mm or 9mm pancake. Is there any reason I'd regret this, with their very reasonable prices, that dpreview wouldn't have covered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I would kill for a cheaper GF body to lower the digital medium format floor but I suspect that’s still very far off

re: Panasonic GX7 - I haven’t used it, but I have been very happy with the G95 for the last 4 years, enough so that I bought a GF3 for $80 off eBay to use with the Laowa 7.5 f2 last month - and the form factor of both is really complementary. I’m inclined to think small m43 camera + small lens is a very happy space.

Now, that said, I really want to get a fast telephoto or zoom lens for the G95… torn between the Pana Leica Noctiron 42.5 f1.2, Pana 35-100 f2.8, Pana 25-50 f1.7… maybe one of the manual focus Voigtlander lenses? Or Laowa’s f0.95 50?? Spoiled for choice!