Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Force Smug, Force S-Mug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Darko posted:

Kind of confused by this post. Sabine learned what Mado learned which is to weight and yield a lightsaber, which worked like no weapon she was used to. We went through this yet another time with Mandalorian.

What does this have to do with wielding the Force and manipulating it? Kanan taught her nothing like this. You completely lost me, am I seriously missing something here? This whole episode was establishing breaking the familial "rules" that Episode 7 and 9 drilled in where Lucas and Rogue One were establishing that anyone can use the Force if they dive in enough.

The episode opens with her practicing basic sword stuff and according to the robot, sucking at it. They have basically changed Sabine's character into a dummy. Same with the dog fight - this isn't her first rodeo. The force stuff is new but as mentioned - poo poo just drags on.

Not sure what they are doing here to be honest - Ahsoka is a smug know it all who shows basically no emotions. Sabine is a rookie again. The only characters that are interesting are the new ex-Jedi and his padawan/daughter. Of course I'll still watch but this is just seeming like another Mando S3 course.

E: Just saw this: "What's funny is that dude is Senator Xiono which is the father of Kazuda Xiono. The main character of the show Star Wars Resistance."

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Also, how could anybody be friends with Jedi? They all seem like insufferable pricks 99% of the time.

"Hey Ahsoka, what do you want for dinner?"
*condescending glare* "You know in your heart what I want for dinner. Why don't you ask yourself what you want for dinner?" *smug grin*
"Fine, pizza"
"Jedis do not eat pizza. I have already ordered a salad. We are done with this conversation. I have to meditate. You should too." *another condescending glare*

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Everyone who survived order 66 kinda admits they deserved it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

Never seen much of the animated shows, but is Ahsoka always this detached and vaguely smug? I thought her whole deal is that she isn't a Jedi so why is she doing the whole emotionless robot thing?

She doesn't believe in the political part of the Jedi because they're morons, but believes in the religion. And she's literally the oldest and most experienced Force user in the galaxy. Right now, we have smug older Jedi Luke that messed up everything and she's like double his age and waaaaayyyyyy more experienced than him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HootTheOwl posted:

Everyone who survived order 66 kinda admits they deserved it.

Even Yoda admits the old ways were pretty crap and hopes whatever follows will grow beyond the Jedi traditions.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

One of the amusing trends of latter day star wars remains everyone agreeing that the jedi need to change somehow but absolutely no one being willing to commit to specific changes

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Darko posted:

She doesn't believe in the political part of the Jedi because they're morons, but believes in the religion. And she's literally the oldest and most experienced Force user in the galaxy. Right now, we have smug older Jedi Luke that messed up everything and she's like double his age and waaaaayyyyyy more experienced than him.

Anybody remember Anakin training Ahsoka to fight a squad of clones which consisted of them just stunning the poo poo out of her for hours? Not to mention Anakin was not just a powerful force user but he was a pretty good duelist with sabers so she had the benefit of training on a pretty high level, yknow, while also fighting in a war at a young age. Obviously the show has to make the baddies capable of holding their own against her, but really she should severely outclass the hell out just about everyone in a fight. Her experience is kind of a lot.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Blackchamber posted:

Anybody remember Anakin training Ahsoka to fight a squad of clones which consisted of them just stunning the poo poo out of her for hours? Not to mention Anakin was not just a powerful force user but he was a pretty good duelist with sabers so she had the benefit of training on a pretty high level, yknow, while also fighting in a war at a young age. Obviously the show has to make the baddies capable of holding their own against her, but really she should severely outclass the hell out just about everyone in a fight. Her experience is kind of a lot.

She's also beaten Maul (because he was being cocky but still), fought Grevious, fought Ventress, clowned on two Inquisitors at once, and is one of 2 people to survive a duel with Vader.

Her cockiness makes sense, although it's a good idea to give her another Clone Wars Era Jedi as a main villain since he would at least be in the experience range.

Darko fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 30, 2023

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
The useless fighters attacking Asoka's ship reminded me of Mitsubishi Zeros, which was a nice return to the "WWII dogfights in space" aesthetic.

I can't take the politics stuff seriously in the non-Andor live action shows. What exactly counts as a "former Imperial" anyways? Bureaucrats and military officers, sure. Scientists working on military R&D, okay, we get our Operation Paperclip analogue, but does this include anyone who worked in an Imperial factory? Did the guys packaging storm trooper MREs have to take loyalty oaths to the New Republic to keep their jobs?

Man, Kanan must have some powerful genes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darko posted:

She's also beaten Maul (because he was being cocky but still), fought Grevious, fought Ventress, clowned on two Inquisitors at once, and is one of 2 people to survive a duel with Vader.

Her cockiness makes sense, although it's a good idea to give her another alone Wars Era Jedi as a main villain since he would at least be in the experience range.

Just surviving Order 66 is enough to infer he's in the same weight class combat-wise, because it means he's probably gone through the same experience of fending off a shitload of Clone Troopers who had him dead to rights from the get-go.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just surviving Order 66 is enough to infer he's in the same weight class combat-wise, because it means he's probably gone through the same experience of fending off a shitload of Clone Troopers who had him dead to rights from the get-go.

Yeah and he was also a full Jedi then, while she was kind of a Padawan (the council made her a Jedi, but whatever, she quit so it didn't count). He's *technically* the OG of the galaxy, whoever he is.

Depending on where Cal is now, it's basically those 4 (Grogo, who is the greenest of all, since he was a youngling) that are the old experienced crew.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Darko posted:

(Grogo, who is the greenest of all, since he was a youngling)

Boooo

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Should of had Barris fill this role. Reveal she's been a bounty hunter/mercenary since Order 66 and has a younger apprentice.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Never seen much of the animated shows, but is Ahsoka always this detached and vaguely smug? I thought her whole deal is that she isn't a Jedi so why is she doing the whole emotionless robot thing?

She's kinda been through a lot, she got a bit jaded.

Blackchamber posted:

This is an episode in the latter half of the first season of Tales of the Jedi, and I highly recommend it to anyone that wants a solid vertical slice on Ahsoka and Anakin in the clone wars.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Darko posted:

Her cockiness makes sense, although it's a good idea to give her another Clone Wars Era Jedi as a main villain since he would at least be in the experience range.

I think her portrayal in the other TV stuff was a little more lighthearted, but when what she perceives as the greatest threat in the galaxy (or several, and definitely is the greatest threat) she switches modes to serious business. I think about her with Din and Grogu and shes definitely kinder there, but now Thrawn is like for sure an issue and she realizes that. You can still see her kindness though, with her interactions with Sabine more than anyone else. But she realizes she's gonna focus on getting this dealt with.

Rosario is definitely killing it in the role.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally got some time to watch the episode. This really feels like half of a one-hour episode, but had some fun moments. I loved the P-51 Mustang starfighters, and honestly the rapid-fire light laser/blaster cannons were perfect for completing the look :allears:.

Ahsoka In Space was the right kind of silly, and a neat bit of action that I think could've gone a smidge longer.

On a side-note I liked that Shin Hati was wearing a Jedi headset in her fighter.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That one dick in the New Republic that was skyping in on hologram is the dude from Resistance's father (who was a senator on Hosnian Prime, whoops), apparently.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darko posted:

That one dick in the New Republic that was skyping in on hologram is the dude from Resistance's father (who was a senator on Hosnian Prime, whoops), apparently.

I’m sort of surprised they acknowledged that show to be honest (though I believe a ship or two from it also popped up near the end of Ride of Skywalker)

As someone else mentioned, the space fight kind of felt like Filoni watched that Studio Trigger short from the first part of Visions and decided to try his hand at replicating it in live action

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The shot of Ashoka casually floating past the cockpit window asking “did you fix the ship yet?” felt exactly like the kind of shot I’d see in Rebels/TCW.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

The animosity between Sabine and Ashoka is really dumb. Why does Sabine have to be a student, why can’t they be equals on a journey together?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Well I mean, they’re not equal in terms of output. Ahsoka can probably kill anyone she’s likely to meet while looking for Thrawn. Sabine otoh got stabbed by the first heavy she met. That seems to be what Ahsoka is actually training her for. In this episode she surprised me by saying she’s not particularly interested in Sabine’s chances of actually being a Jedi and just wants her to self-actualize (by being a sword guy, admittedly, but that’s all Ahsoka really knows how to teach her so whatever).

It is a somewhat weird tack to take with Sabine—kind of sad but not unbelievable (imo). As a kid she had all these skills, lived for the cause, seemed like she could do anything she turned her mind to. Well, they won the war, but all she really got out of it was Ezra’s abandoned house where she lives with a cat and does uh…nothing basically. Idk. I guess Filoni figures a lot of the kids/teens who watched Rebels growing up are now depressed, detached twentysomethings who need an adult.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The shot of Ashoka casually floating past the cockpit window asking “did you fix the ship yet?” felt exactly like the kind of shot I’d see in Rebels/TCW.

Yeah, this is basically a live action cartoon and the sooner some people accept that the better

Also if I’m remembering right Sabine brought her Manadalorian gear with her on the trip so I hope she actually uses it at some point and doesn’t rely solely on Jedi stuff

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waiting for Thrawn just because child me would have been so excited to see him in a tv show but I’m getting close to tapping out. Ashoka as a character is so boring she puts me to sleep with almost everything she says.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sammus posted:

The animosity between Sabine and Ashoka is really dumb. Why does Sabine have to be a student, why can’t they be equals on a journey together?

The first two episodes really made it feel like a bad breakup and not a Jedi thing, which at least made more sense why they weren't speaking

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I enjoyed the whole WW2 dogfighting sequences, but boy the show really wants me to hate the New Republic, huh?

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I love the WW2 dogfighting aesthetics but it is real silly to have turbolaser produce little explosions like flak cannons.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Larryb posted:

Yeah, this is basically a live action cartoon and the sooner some people accept that the better

I feel like this show holds up less well if being held to this standard, if anything. Evaluated as a cartoon intended to hold the attention of kids it is way, way too slow paced and frankly boring

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Thordain posted:

I love the WW2 dogfighting aesthetics but it is real silly to have turbolaser produce little explosions like flak cannons.
Yeah that was clearly an artistic touch to lean in to the WW2 thing, but they've never done that before in any show

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Thordain posted:

They've done that before, although the smoke was new.

I remember, way back in the early 2000s, the internet speculating that turbolaser bolts exploded after a certain time or that they burst when interacting with shields.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Some some of them explode (into flashes, not flak-like clouds) in the tench run of ANH even?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It is a little silly, but in a way makes sense. With a laser blast you have to actually hit the target with precision. But with a flak-like explosion you just have to be close to do some damage, right? Creating a cloud of impact?

Full disclosure, I know nothing about military war craft, other than playing a lot of Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 when I was younger. That counts, right? (They should get some prism towers set up around that map chamber...)

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 30, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Darko posted:

And in Resistance, his whole thing is downplaying the threat the First Order play.

He's the Star Wars version of the mayor from Jaws, only in Star Wars, Amity Island is blown up by a giant space laser.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FlamingLiberal posted:

I enjoyed the whole WW2 dogfighting sequences, but boy the show really wants me to hate the New Republic, huh?

Every single piece of Star Wars media which has, in any way, referenced the Old, High, Bog Standard or New Republics wants you to hate them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vintersorg posted:

I got a bad feeling about this…

Also teagone those things you pointed out are 2 of the dumbest things to happen. :lol:

I didn't mind them, especially the droid factory antics in my prequel re-evaluation. I always thought the Leia flying scene looked wacky, but the idea of it was cool. I get what Lucas and RJ were going for.

quote:

This needs tighter plotting - we didn’t need the intro training. We’ve seen Sabine do this already and get frustrated. She doesn’t need to learn to be a Jedi. She’s a child soldier from Mandalore. That should be good enough.

I hate the random run times on SW episodes too. It’s annoying. There is barely anything happening.

We only saw Kanan teach Sabine how to handle a lightsaber. Even then, when I say "we" I mean the turbonerds like us who have seen Rebels. This show is reaching a much broader audience who would benefit from a quick recap of Sabine's frustrations, and having her go over the lightsaber forms she had originally learned in the animated show makes sense imo. But then Ahsoka expands on that stuff with more Force-based training, which I'm still admittedly super wary of. Still, the show isn't doing anything egregiously bad like Obi-Wan thanksfully, lol.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, nothing really bad at all. But it goes back to that saying from Steve-O.

"I'm not mad at you, I'm just disappointed. Like, that hurts so much more, you know?" :lol:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

thrawn527 posted:

It is a little silly, but in a way makes sense. With a laser blast you have to actually hit the target with precision. But with a flak-like explosion you just have to be close to do some damage, right? Creating a cloud of impact?

Full disclosure, I know nothing about military war craft, other than playing a lot of Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 when I was younger. That counts, right? (They should get some prism towers set up around that map chamber...)

Flack has a fuse on it so it explodes at the right altitude.
AA machine guns work better at lower attitudes where you can just point it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

HootTheOwl posted:

Flack has a fuse on it so it explodes at the right altitude.
AA machine guns work better at lower attitudes where you can just point it.

Oh, I have no clue how the tech on lasers like that would actually work. Much like all tech in Star Wars.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, I have no clue how the tech on lasers like that would actually work. Much like all tech in Star Wars.

I imagine it's something like a calculated unstable burst. The turbolaser bolt lasts long enough to fly a certain planned distance, before becoming unstable and popping in a detonation :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Sabine can have a little force power, as a treat.

I bet we'll get another tease (maybe the cup shakes a bit next time!) before they do a significant reveal coming in instinctively at a clutch time, when her friends chock full of the force are in immediate danger by Big Bad Blue some how. It won't be like Grogu popping out a force protection bubble, it will be something much smaller in scale and precise, more witty and tactical. More Ahsoka like, more Sabine like.