Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Saying the cartoons are just as great as this Ahsoka Show garbage is not a good sell.

"Still not convinced? What if I told you there's like 80 or 90 hours of combined runtime?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yes. Watch the children's cartoons, beloved and endorsed by George Lucas himself and important canon continuing through the buyout.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Saying the cartoons are just as great as this Ahsoka Show garbage is not a good sell.

"Still not convinced? What if I told you there's like 80 or 90 hours of combined runtime?!"

Nobody in this thread compared the two in quality. Ahsoka is still pretty up in the air based on where it goes/ends. Right now, it's floating around early Bad Batch where it's iffy, but Bad Batch also ended up providing some of the best stuff, so, dunno.

It's just kind of weird that as people apparently interested in Lucas, they've ignored over a decade of Lucas for some reason.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Darko posted:

Nobody in this thread compared the two in quality. Ahsoka is still pretty up in the air based on where it goes/ends. Right now, it's floating around early Bad Batch where it's iffy, but Bad Batch also ended up providing some of the best stuff, so, dunno.

It's just kind of weird that as people apparently interested in Lucas, they've ignored over a decade of Lucas for some reason.

Lucas' partial input into the show is diluted all over those 80/90 hours. You could just watch the movies instead.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I get that cartoon folks really like the characters and are basically satisfied they get to hang out with them some more, but based on these episodes filoni just seems like a pretty gently caress awful writer. I'm not really gonna bite on 90 hours of him

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The cartoons are better at what they want to be than Ahsoka is so far.

Sometimes that means they are just good kids cartoons, sometimes that means they are really solid Star Wars stuff.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Darko posted:

I'm so confused. The whole point is to track the ship and not take it down? Like, I'm literally lost right now with this response? It might just be me.

The whole point of the sequence was to not take it down and the humor being Chopper being the same dick hes been since like 2015? Are we watching the show here?

Ahem, next episode problems. Different ship

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Upsidads posted:

Ahem, next episode problems. Different ship

yeah, ahsoka/filoni

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

I get that cartoon folks really like the characters and are basically satisfied they get to hang out with them some more, but based on these episodes filoni just seems like a pretty gently caress awful writer. I'm not really gonna bite on 90 hours of him

Lucas has as much or more input than Filoni in parts and Filoni is not head writer of most episodes.

You're already familiar with Filoni because he directed and wrote two episodes of the first season of Mando and the Ahsoka episode of the second, while being just as involved as he was in Clone Wars with the rest.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

My only filoni exposure before this was mandalorian 1 episode 1 (didn't like, so much so I didn't keep watching the show) and the few episodes of mandalorian season 3 that had the babu frik crossover (not even sure if he wrote on them, but they were also pretty awful anyway).

So no I wasn't particularly familiar before this and I do not under any circumstances have to hand it to him

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Darko posted:

See, that's what I mean. Ahsoka isn't "up in the air based on where it ends"; it's currently insultingly dull, and so poorly-told we don't know what two out of the three protagonists even do for a living. (Same with the antagonists, for that matter.)

Slap "it gets good after the first 12 episodes" on the tin, you might as well have a big 'ol biohazard symbol.

Lucas as a director is cool. Lucas as producer is absolutely a mixed bag. You can get an Empire Strikes Back, or you can get a Return Of The Jedi.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

See, that's what I mean. Ahsoka isn't "up in the air based on where it ends"; it's currently insultingly dull, and so poorly-told we don't know what two out of the three protagonists even do for a living. (Same with the antagonists, for that matter.)

Slap "it gets good after the first 12 episodes" on the tin, you might as well have a big 'ol biohazard symbol.

Lucas as a director is cool. Lucas as producer is absolutely a mixed bag. You can get an Empire Strikes Back, or you can get a Return Of The Jedi.

Depends on if your narrative is a sequel or if your narrative has mid-season reveals that expand on the earlier episodes. 8 hour narratives work differently than 2 hour narratives. Most people though Andor was dull by episode 2/3; they just aired 3 at once instead of 2. (Serial) shows need a season to tell an overall story. I'm old enough where people wrote off The Wire as obtuse and dull after half of the first season.

I give shows a half season or so to start judging unless they are particularly insulting enough to not watch at all.

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 30, 2023

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

My only filoni exposure before this was mandalorian 1 episode 1 (didn't like, so much so I didn't keep watching the show) and the few episodes of mandalorian season 3 that had the babu frik crossover (not even sure if he wrote on them, but they were also pretty awful anyway).

So no I wasn't particularly familiar before this and I do not under any circumstances have to hand it to him

Blowing off Mandalorian one episode in but then starting it back up and watching a full episode totally divorced from context three seasons later because you heard the joke character from EpIX might be in it for a few seconds is absolutely insane lol

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What can I say, I'm a babu enthusiast. I was hoping he would join the mandalorian's party but yes even this proved a letdown

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Vintersorg posted:

Big adult person in the room watch out everybody.

I just don’t really watch tv shows very often. I don’t have anything against cartoons

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Ahsoka has the same problems as most Star Wars shows or most TV shows that exist in the same universe as movies (MCU, whatever). They come up with a storyline that could be a decent movie, then stretch it into 10ish episodes, adding an extremely low-stakes confrontation with a sloppy fight scene of some sort in each one to make people feel like something happened.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

What can I say, I'm a babu enthusiast. I was hoping he would join the mandalorian's party but yes even this proved a letdown

A Babu Freak, you might say.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You already have the taint on you, embrace it. Watch the Tartovsky Clone Wars while you're at it. It's barely canon at best but it's cool as gently caress.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You already have the taint on you, embrace it. Watch the Tartovsky Clone Wars while you're at it. It's barely canon at best but it's cool as gently caress.

Given how many references to it crop up in Star Wars media, it's more-or-less back in canon

Mace on Dantooine gets mentioned in The Clone Wars itself, so it's always been canon

The Battle of Hypori (1:03:05 in the above video) also gets mentioned as an event in the Rogue One Catalyst novel

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As I said in the TV thread, it's a good show that shows what Jedi told everyone else was going on, while Clone Wars shows what was actually going on.

Mace telling everyone he force blew up 1000 droids at once and everyone saying their bet friends were killed by this super badass cyborg instead of this moustache twirling coughing weirdo.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah this is why. I’m not watching 90 hours of basically anything. I’ve seen a few scattered episodes of clone wars that my kids watched and they ranged from awful to mildly interesting so I’m just not going to devote that much of my life to it.

Having the robot speak garbled English is just a boring choice. Artoo’s whistles and whirs are cool and serve a thematic purpose (they parallel Chewbacca’s roars and growls as another form of language that’s extremely divergent from human speech but comprehensible to certain characters, and intuitively to the viewer albeit in a general sense, it establishes that droids have something analogous to ethnicities, etc). Garbled English on the other hand just raises the question of why they gave him lovely speakers if he was going to be talking to people all the time. We know it’s possible. The implication with Artoo is that he doesn’t need to speak English because humans regard him as an appliance. Luke eventually learning to understand Astromechian without his little computer is a sign of his character’s growth from a slave owning racist to a guy who has been in the trenches when droids and aliens and now respects them as people.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Clone Wars is best watched with someone telling you which 10 episodes you should watch. If you dig them, get another 10 episodes from that person until you stop digging it. If you love, like, 30 episodes despite their faults, go back and watch all of it from the top. If not, move on. That's the beauty of it being more or less episodic (in arcs of 1-3 episodes).

Darko posted:

Depends on if your narrative is a sequel or if your narrative has mid-season reveals that expand on the earlier episodes. 8 hour narratives work differently than 2 hour narratives. Most people though Andor was dull by episode 2/3; they just aired 3 at once instead of 2. (Serial) shows need a season to tell an overall story. I'm old enough where people wrote off The Wire as obtuse and dull after half of the first season.

I give shows a half season or so to start judging unless they are particularly insulting enough to not watch at all.

It's not that it's dull, it's that it's poorly written with bad storytelling and bad characterization. That's not the same thing as what you're talking about with Andor or The Wire at all. Andor may not have gotten incredibly compelling until about halfway through, but it was always competent.

If I were being generous, I might hope that a hypothetical season 2 or 3 of Ahsoka could end up being good if the writing evolved and matured as happened with Clone Wars and Rebels. But unless there are big behind the scenes shakeups during production, shows don't suddenly go from poorly made to well made halfway through a season.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 30, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

At least we will have the one Ashoka mando episode which was really good

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Darko posted:

You're in the Star Wars thread but avoided some of the best Star Wars because of...why?

Also the possible best big release movie this year so far is a cartoon (Spider-verse). I just don't get it.

Seriously, what is there that you do not get? For one, movies and tv shows are different kind of visual media with different standards for acting, direction etc. On top of that, cartoon tv shows aimed primarily at children are a whole different beast with wide quality differences across the genre. When somebody likes Star Wars films, it doesn't automatically mean they should enjoy Star Wars cartoon for children. One of the things I like about watching movies is to watch actors perform which you only get in the cartoons in the form of voice acting, which is hardly comparable.

For the record, I watched the entirety of the The Clone Wars (which I enjoyed) and some of the Rebels (which I did not like) but I absolutely understand why somebody wouldn't care to watch them.

It's also not meaningful to compare Spider-verse with cartoon tv shows, because the Spider-verse is a high budget, uniquely animated blockbuster film. It's in a different league than the Bad Batch or the Rebels or whatever.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Star Wars is generally for kids when its not Andor.

feedmyleg posted:

Clone Wars is best watched with someone telling you which 10 episodes you should watch. If you dig them, get another 10 episodes from that person until you stop digging it. If you love, like, 30 episodes despite their faults, go back and watch all of it from the top. If not, move on. That's the beauty of it being more or less episodic (in arcs of 1-3 episodes).

It's not that it's dull, it's that it's poorly written with bad storytelling and bad characterization. That's not the same thing as what you're talking about with Andor or The Wire at all. Andor may not have gotten incredibly compelling until about halfway through, but it was always competent.

If I were being generous, I might hope that a hypothetical season 2 or 3 of Ahsoka could end up being good if the writing evolved and matured as happened with Clone Wars and Rebels. But unless there are big behind the scenes changes during production, shows don't suddenly go from poorly made to well made halfway through a season.

I don't see anything here as "bad" in its genre, personally. So far, it seems perfectly okay and around the level of, say, Solo at the moment, with the potential to go somewhere interesting in the next few episodes. 3 was already an improvement over 1/2 (which were just setup and a bridge from the last show) as it is getting into an actual show of its own.

I also like that it's leaning hard into the Lucas "the Force is everywhere and the Jedi were wrong for focusing on power levels" as opposed to the "if you aren't a Skywalker or Palpatine you're irrelevant" of the sequels.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Darko posted:

I don't see anything here as "bad" in its genre, personally. So far, it seems perfectly okay and around the level of, say, Solo

Ah. I see that we have different definitions of bad.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Darko posted:

I also like that it's leaning hard into the Lucas "the Force is everywhere and the Jedi were wrong for focusing on power levels" as opposed to the "if you aren't a Skywalker or Palpatine you're irrelevant" of the sequels.

This was my favorite part of the new episode, absolutely. Everything about the Force felt personal, spiritual. Ahsoka moving the cup actually felt like a big deal, which is crazy given the poo poo we know she can do. But in that moment, it was, because of what it represented (her connection to the living Force that she has, that Sabine doesn't yet have). It was great.

I am a little annoyed about how short this episode was. I forget if it was here or in the TV thread, but whoever said that it felt like the first half of an episode was right. I liked it, but when it was done I really felt, "Well dammit, I guess we're back to waiting for next week." I felt like we didn't really accomplish much of anything, other than getting Ahsoka and Sabine to the planet (which they were heading to at the end of last week anyway), and acknowledge that the Eye of Sion is a hyperspace ring (which most people had guessed anyway). I thought the "scan" would at least say if the thing was of Dathomir or Chiss origin or something, but nope, nothing really learned this week. Also, one drat minor scene of Baylan? C'mon, now. We have such little footage of Ray Stevenson left.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Ah. I see that we have different definitions of bad.

I don't deal in absolutes.

Solo was firmly an "ok" movie, with some stupid stuff in it (Maul's bathroom break), some great stuff (parts of Powell's score) and some okay stuff. It's basically the level of a "good" Marvel movie where it's watchable but somewhat forgettable.

Episode 9, on the other hand, is an actual bad movie, with not a single redeeming thing about it that I can think of, while not even being funny enough to be so bad it's good like Ator 1 or 2 or other fantasy movies.

In dealing with TV, you can also get the same kind of thing in even the same show, where Dexter goes from pretty good, to okay, to bad and unwatchable, to so bad it's funny, all in the same show.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ep 9s scenes with Ren and Rey were ok imho. The fight in the drowned Death Star was well done. That’s about it as mentioned

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I kind of liked the intro to Burning Man planet with the dancing aliens. I think I'm just a fan of the jump cut to dancing weird stuff thing in movies because I also like the dancing gorilla suit scene in Batman and Robin.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ep 9 looked alright for the most part it's just the story is absolute dog poo poo. Could have been a contend'ah!

I hope that Ahsoka picks it up next week though cause that'll be midway and I want to like this show, I really do.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I hate to speak in defense of star wars 9, but I will say I would take the 90 seconds of babu in it over the entirety of the obi wan show

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

Ep 9 looked alright for the most part it's just the story is absolute dog poo poo. Could have been a contend'ah!

I agree, I think it's a well directed movie with a bad script. I like JJ as a director, I just wish he'd stop writing his own movies.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I agree, I think it's a well directed movie with a bad script. I like JJ as a director, I just wish he'd stop writing his own movies.

I thought it has too many cuts and stuff, so I don't even like how it's directed. Star Wars is never "frantic" and that entire movie was just jumping all over the place, starting with the lightspeed skipping at the beginning of the movie. Star Wars movies are almost known for sitting and chilling with the characters.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah JJs frantic pacing is wearing thin with me

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

euphronius posted:

Ep 9s scenes with Ren and Rey were ok imho. The fight in the drowned Death Star was well done. That’s about it as mentioned
Harrison Ford coming back as a real ghost instead of a force ghost was great

Sheev chewing the scenery was good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah. Except he was just Ren seeing things.

I think

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Saying "star wars cartoon" feels a little redundant. Star wars IS a cartoon. They are friends with muppets and animated flying elephants. Most of the backgrounds are paintings, or models, which is a trick adapted from "Popeye."

The real question is, what is the difference between a bugs bunny short in the forties and an episode of "baby looney tunes?"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Darko posted:

I thought it has too many cuts and stuff, so I don't even like how it's directed. Star Wars is never "frantic" and that entire movie was just jumping all over the place, starting with the lightspeed skipping at the beginning of the movie. Star Wars movies are almost known for sitting and chilling with the characters.

The sequence with Rey blowing up Chewbacca in a massive lightning blast made me do a nervous laugh in the theater, it was such a "the wheels are coming off the ride" moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah this is why. I’m not watching 90 hours of basically anything. I’ve seen a few scattered episodes of clone wars that my kids watched and they ranged from awful to mildly interesting so I’m just not going to devote that much of my life to it.

Having the robot speak garbled English is just a boring choice. Artoo’s whistles and whirs are cool and serve a thematic purpose (they parallel Chewbacca’s roars and growls as another form of language that’s extremely divergent from human speech but comprehensible to certain characters, and intuitively to the viewer albeit in a general sense, it establishes that droids have something analogous to ethnicities, etc). Garbled English on the other hand just raises the question of why they gave him lovely speakers if he was going to be talking to people all the time. We know it’s possible. The implication with Artoo is that he doesn’t need to speak English because humans regard him as an appliance. Luke eventually learning to understand Astromechian without his little computer is a sign of his character’s growth from a slave owning racist to a guy who has been in the trenches when droids and aliens and now respects them as people.

Chopper's speech parallels Zeb's the way R2's parallels Chewie's. Where Zeb is a Chewbacca that everyone can comprehend, Chopper is an R2 that everyone can comprehend.

And he has lovely speakers because he's an old, busted-rear end, cantankerous grump of a droid.