Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Knowing their plans for the Hank alters had Season 8 gone ahead, it’s wild to see those seeds planted every time Hank would act out in earlier seasons. It really feels like nearly every plot point is buried in unassuming dialogue in season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Yeah, Evil Hank!

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
It's like he channels dead crazy people.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Do you think it's a cry for help?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
God just thinking of those lines and the lost storyline.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but the movie comes out on MAX on Sept 2nd.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess I'll watch it there too to maximize engagement and magically that will allow them to make another season.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s also showing on Adult Swim Friday night if anyone still has cable here

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

bull3964 posted:

Didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but the movie comes out on MAX on Sept 2nd.

I've been meaning to rewatch it, I'll stream it instead of watch my digital copy so they get the metric. Maybe some magic in that old hat will give them another movie.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sanschel posted:

Knowing their plans for the Hank alters had Season 8 gone ahead, it’s wild to see those seeds planted every time Hank would act out in earlier seasons. It really feels like nearly every plot point is buried in unassuming dialogue in season 1.
What was the plan?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LividLiquid posted:

What was the plan?

They mentioned in the commentary that hank's voyage across the country was going to be a season long arc culminating in an episode that reveals Enrique, Guyovich, The Bat, etc. are literally the souls of dead Hanks haunting him.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
"Why aren't you getting haunted?"

"Because I'm a good person."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

They mentioned in the commentary that hank's voyage across the country was going to be a season long arc culminating in an episode that reveals Enrique, Guyovich, The Bat, etc. are literally the souls of dead Hanks haunting him.
Dammit. That would've been great.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I sort of like what we got better because it seems like the conclusion to the alternative is just Hank going “wow, cool!”

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If we do end up getting more, or dare uneven suppose an actual season, if they would “re do” things to be what was originally intended.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Warbird posted:

If we do end up getting more, or dare uneven suppose an actual season, if they would “re do” things to be what was originally intended.

A wise man who was either Gurdjieff or Baba Oje once told me, "You can never step into the same river twice"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Ohtsam posted:

A wise man who was either Gurdjieff or Baba Oje once told me, "You can never step into the same river twice"

That makes no sense.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
So, how long do you think the idea of Orpheus dresssed as Zed has been percolating between Doc and Jackson?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Happy Landfill posted:

So, how long do you think the idea of Orpheus dresssed as Zed has been percolating between Doc and Jackson?

Day 1

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Why are you dressed like Borat?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

"Tag Sale, You're It!" was on when I had the marathon stream on last night and I can't believe I never noticed how badly these two lines of dialog fit into things compared to Season 3 and hell, even two episodes later.

quote:

The Monarch: (Opening the door as Limb is leaving.) Wasn't that Phantom Limb? Didn't you work with him or live near him or something?
Dr. Girlfriend: I've never met him before. He's an rear end. How'd it go in there?

We know in "Shadowman 9: In the Cradle of Destiny" that The Monarch was a henchman for Phantom Limb so he drat well knows who he is and he knows that Shelia was his Number 2. Of course, that was a in Season 3.

But then in "The Trail of the Monarch" we see that he even knows then that she worked for Phantom Limb, that was just two episodes later. So the lie of "I've never met him before" is something "The Monarch" should have spotted.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

bull3964 posted:

"Tag Sale, You're It!" was on when I had the marathon stream on last night and I can't believe I never noticed how badly these two lines of dialog fit into things compared to Season 3 and hell, even two episodes later.

We know in "Shadowman 9: In the Cradle of Destiny" that The Monarch was a henchman for Phantom Limb so he drat well knows who he is and he knows that Shelia was his Number 2. Of course, that was a in Season 3.

But then in "The Trail of the Monarch" we see that he even knows then that she worked for Phantom Limb, that was just two episodes later. So the lie of "I've never met him before" is something "The Monarch" should have spotted.

boy, sure do hope someone got fired for that blunder

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Doesn’t she say it’s kind of weird and fast to make it seem like she’s trying to change the topic as fast as possible?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Consummate Professional posted:

Doesn’t she say it’s kind of weird and fast to make it seem like she’s trying to change the topic as fast as possible?

Well yeah, she does. That's what she was trying to do. My point was that the Monarch wouldn't have even asked the question as he already knows her back history with Phantom Limb.

The real reason is it's an early script and at that point they didn't even decide if The Monarch was going to be the main arch to Rusty. I think I remember them mentioning before that "The Trial of the Monarch" represented a shift in how they were scripting and plotting the show that they didn't get into early on. I was just remarking on how I never noticed that before.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Malcolm is an idiot who quickly forgets personal details, just like his father

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I actually don't really like this idea at all and am kind of glad it got scrapped: one of the things I really love about Hank is how self-confident and imaginative he is. The idea that he creates these alter-egos for himself and they get filed away for later recall is cool, conversely the idea that e.g. Russian Guyovich wasn't a clever thing he came up with on the spot when he sported a fake goatee but rather the (Russian???) personality of a former clone is...kind of weird nonsense?

And sure yeah it is a dynamite call-back to "it's like he channels dead crazy people", but I still have issues. Like okay, maybe a former Hank found a cache of Rusty's old detective serials and fell in love with them and that's how current Hank came up with the P.I. alter-ego, but shouldn't Brock's "I never see you read!" line also apply to former clone Hanks? In fact each previous Hank would still need to get those ideas from somewhere so it still becomes a chicken and egg thing even if he is channeling those Hanks. Also the souls of dead Hanks have an age cutoff of like 15 (and presumably often younger) so it's not like the raw sexuality of Enrico Matassa should be applied to anything but a currently 17+ Hank.

Basically I like that Hank dresses up as The Bat because he is a Batman fan, he creates Enrico because he needs a supervillain alter-ego, he came up with Russian Guyovitch to fool Brock into letting him fight with the Monarch's army. Keeping these alter-egos around and pulling them out when needed is cool flavor for the character, giving them some sci-fi "origin" doesn't really add anything.

All this being said, I trust Jackson and Doc implicitly so what I am imagining is probably not nearly as detailed and creative as what they would have executed, so probably my above complaints are for a shittier version than what we realistically would have gotten.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Even when the monarch was henching for phantom limb, he was focused on his monarch character. It fits that he would completely forget everything that happened that wasn't directly related to being the monarch until he was forced to remember.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I chalk it up to the Monarch just didn't care and forgot. Hell, one of my favorite lines is the end of Season 4 when Hatred blows up the cacoon while screaming about Gary and afterwards the Monarch says "Who the gently caress is Gary?!" I refuse to believe he hasn't heard Gary's name at some point. The Monarch isn't really a "details" kind of guy.

Also as I'm doing a rewatch for the Nth time I'm really sad we didn't get more of Brock and Warriana. They gelled so well together and it would have been fun seeing them team up to crack skulls. Plus it would have been a good subversion of Brock's hyper-masculine character to be dating a woman stronger and even more "masculine" than him.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 1, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Guy A. Person posted:

Russian Guyovich wasn't a clever thing he came up with on the spot when he sported a fake goatee but rather the (Russian???) personality of a former clone is...kind of weird nonsense?

You just know that Hank worked up a whole character/alter ego for Russian Guyovich. One completely informed by movies that led him to think "Russian bad guy = vaguely Eastern European mobster in a track suit." This is what Hank thinks a Russian guy is https://youtu.be/l1JyX4KFjoA?si=Az1UAKNS8LeZPRCz

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sash! posted:

You just know that Hank worked up a whole character/alter ego for Russian Guyovich. One completely informed by movies that led him to think "Russian bad guy = vaguely Eastern European mobster in a track suit." This is what Hank thinks a Russian guy is https://youtu.be/l1JyX4KFjoA?si=Az1UAKNS8LeZPRCz

OH yeah absolutely, I just prefer if that level of detail is just a general Hank thing, and not specific to some dead Hank that turned that into his entire personality at some previous point

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't think it was so much that they were like that all the time - that's just who they were when they died. Like we all know where the bat is from.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I think it's funnier to imagine Russian Guyovich as an earlier attempt by a previous Hank to try and woo Molotov.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart is on Max now, for anyone else who may have been waiting

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

QuarkJets posted:

Malcolm is an idiot who quickly forgets personal details, just like his father

Who the gently caress is Gary?

I always assumed he was semi-sure and half-remembering, and she was trying to downplay it and change the subject.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Here's a question: in-show, how much time passes between the first episode and the finale movie? Is there a solid timeline?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I vaguely assumed half a decade at the most.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Isn’t it like three or four years? I think it actually times out to be around the age difference between the clones brothers and the originals. So, Hank and Dean in NYC are about the age the originals would have been at the beginning of the series had they survived.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Here's a question: in-show, how much time passes between the first episode and the finale movie? Is there a solid timeline?

A little over two years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M22-W77cIO0

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

poo poo, that's a great bit of pre-planning. Hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

It’s still a bit unknown even with that prediction, as there’s cultural references made in the last few seasons that wouldn’t have existed two years after the first season. I like the idea that Action Man took Orpheus’ words to heart and changed his lifestyle and habits which pushed the date of the stroke out a few years, letting the timeline slide as needed