Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Triangles are pretty neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

You have a few good points.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gaius Marius posted:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Triangle nerds are squares.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

credburn posted:

Triangle nerds are squares.

HERESY

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The "chicken tendies" people love to refer to online now are just regular chicken strips.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

The "chicken tendies" people love to refer to online now are just regular chicken strips.

Also known as tenders.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also known as tenders.

also known as chicken tenderloin strips

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

spookykid posted:

also known as chicken tenderloin strips

The tenderloin cut in beef is the tenderest part of the hindquarters (the loins) but in chickens it's the tender strip behind the breast meat. It's still called a tenderloin cut even though it's not from the chicken's loins

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The tenderloin cut in beef is the tenderest part of the hindquarters (the loins) but in chickens it's the tender strip behind the breast meat. It's still called a tenderloin cut even though it's not from the chicken's loins

It's like a chain of learning about tendies.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I buy chicken tenderloins every now and then but only recently looked up what they were called in English.

Here, they have the same name sirloin (sirloin meaning above the loin), though the Spanish word literally means "the little bit beneath the back"

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

This kind of secondhand naming is also why "chicken roughies" are actually cut from the smoothest part of the chicken, also known as the sharklet, just under the chicken's arms. This cut is named "sharklet" after beef sharkies due to their similar texture, but those are actually located just behind the cow's false eyes. Wild, I know

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

dobbymoodge posted:

This kind of secondhand naming is also why "chicken roughies" are actually cut from the smoothest part of the chicken, also known as the sharklet, just under the chicken's arms. This cut is named "sharklet" after beef sharkies due to their similar texture, but those are actually located just behind the cow's false eyes. Wild, I know

Yeah everyone knows sharks are smooth as hell duh

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dip Viscous posted:

you already just realized that 6 months ago lol

Dip Viscous posted:

"Tendies" are just regular chicken strips. I'd never heard the term at all before last year but now it seems like it's everywhere.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Memento guy but he has a photograph of a basket of chicken tenders.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

do not order the fries

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

zedprime posted:

Memento guy but he has a photograph of a basket of chicken tenders.

Don’t believe its thighs

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
A chicken tender is a type of chicken strip.

It's only a tendies if made with the tenderloin cut. If made with regular old breast meat then it's just a strip.

There is a lot of mislabelling.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Carthag Tuek posted:

you already just realized that 6 months ago lol

I have zero memory of posting that. :psyduck: Or of learning that.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I guess the thing I just realized is that sleeping for 90 minutes a night back then was worse for me than I thought.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

I guess the thing I just realized is that sleeping for 90 minutes a night back then was worse for me than I thought.

The thing I just realized is that forums poster Dip Vicious has a carbon monoxide leak in his house, or perhaps a touch of amphetamine psychosis. :shrug:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Pretty cool tho, to be able to have a chicken tendie revelation repeatedly. Just constantly forgetting what a tendie is then rediscovering the knowledge, what a beautiful cycle.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

dobbymoodge posted:

The thing I just realized is that forums poster Dip Vicious has a carbon monoxide leak in his house, or perhaps a touch of amphetamine psychosis. :shrug:

Hope he gets help before the fridge tries to eat him :ohdear:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

dobbymoodge posted:

Also that forums poster Carthag Tuek has a photographic memory and you do not want to cross him

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Phlegmish posted:

Also that forums poster Carthag Tuek has a photographic memory and you do not want to cross him

:evilbuddy:

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

I had a thought today while helping someone move: are landings in stairwells called that because they're at the end of a flight?

I will do no research on this and assume I'm a genius.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They are not.

I also will not research this, but I’m saying that it comes from nautical terminology.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
PYFTYJR: a barque was a type of small ship, hence to 'embark' (to get on board a ship) and 'disembark' (to un-get on board a ship)

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I can have the guitar strap sit further to the right and closer to my neck to have a more comfortable playing position

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Captain Splendid posted:

I can have the guitar strap sit further to the right and closer to my neck to have a more comfortable playing position

"Anyway, here's Wonderwall."

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
It's doubtful that Dorothy Parker wrote the poem that goes "After three I'm under the table, after four I'm under the host". Apparently there are a million things misattributed to her.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hyperlynx posted:

If anything, I'd think utensils need compressive strength, not tensile

Torque and fork have etymological roots for obvious reasons.

Purple trillium
Nov 5, 2012
The UK and US have opposite rules for a quotation that ends a sentence. US puts a full stop within the quotation marks and UK puts it after.

Joe said “meet me in the square at noon.”

versus

Joe said ‘meet me in the square at noon’.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh poo poo I accidentally learned the UK way apparently. My logic was always "the punctuation isn't part of the quote.".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Purple trillium posted:

The UK and US have opposite rules for a quotation that ends a sentence. US puts a full stop within the quotation marks and UK puts it after.

versus

Oh, huh. I guess I never consciously noticed that the UK did it differently. I'm gonna have to side with them on this one, I've been doing it that way in casual writing for ages because it looks better to me.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

MariusLecter posted:

Torque and fork have etymological roots for obvious reasons.

If you're saying that they have the same root, that's entirely wrong. Fork comes from the Latin furca, which means pitchfork, whereas torque comes from the Latin verb torquere, which means "to twist".

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Purple trillium posted:

versus

Both are fine and get the point across imo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
« this is the superior way to quote »

And it should be used to separate entire conversations, not turned on and off to be like « les guillemets are superior », he said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they way it was taught to me was that quotation marks go outside of any other punctuation because they are "least important," so now I look down my nose at quotation marks. if they were anthropomorphized I would make them sit at the kids' table