Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I really like the structure of snowrunners - open world, lots of missions, you can pick up missions on your way to other objectives, you're in general working to improve the world -

but I don't like the "drive in mud/snow. get stuck. get unstuck." which is effectively the entirety of gameplay.

Are there games out there with all the packaging but a different core loop?

e: not euro truck sim 2 please, I've played that and each delivery takes too much time. I actually like the bite-sized routes in snowrunners where you can deliver something in under an hour (mud aside).

Bugsnax, if you don't mind being a grumpus instead of a truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I remember playing Civ 4 a long time ago and wishing I could play a game that was based around the tech tree and tech progression, and apparently that game is Through The Ages, which I am struggling to understand right now. Just a mild recommendation if anyone else felt the same about Civ.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

In my mind Snowrunner only works as a co-op game. Getting stuck in the mud by yourself is frustrating. Getting stuck in the mud and then your buddy laughs at you and tries to pull you out and ALSO gets stuck is a good time.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

doctorfrog posted:

I remember playing Civ 4 a long time ago and wishing I could play a game that was based around the tech tree and tech progression, and apparently that game is Through The Ages, which I am struggling to understand right now. Just a mild recommendation if anyone else felt the same about Civ.

Through the Ages is a favorite app amongst board game goons so if you want to ask questions about it you could come visit us in the Board Game Thread.

It's a terrific game and a terrific app, though it can be daunting to get into. If you haven't played the Tutorial in game, it's very good. It only glosses over a few late game things like Air Forces.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Magnetic North posted:

Through the Ages is a favorite app amongst board game goons so if you want to ask questions about it you could come visit us in the Board Game Thread.

It's a terrific game and a terrific app, though it can be daunting to get into. If you haven't played the Tutorial in game, it's very good. It only glosses over a few late game things like Air Forces.

Hey, thanks. The game is very good so far, and I'm coming to it from playing Nations (poorly). I'm working my way through the tutorial and an easy AI game this week.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

wash bucket posted:

In my mind Snowrunner only works as a co-op game. Getting stuck in the mud by yourself is frustrating. Getting stuck in the mud and then your buddy laughs at you and tries to pull you out and ALSO gets stuck is a good time.

I’d love that if the netcode weren’t garbage and constantly kicked my friend :(

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I really like the structure of snowrunners - open world, lots of missions, you can pick up missions on your way to other objectives, you're in general working to improve the world -

but I don't like the "drive in mud/snow. get stuck. get unstuck." which is effectively the entirety of gameplay.

e: not euro truck sim 2 please, I've played that and each delivery takes too much time. I actually like the bite-sized routes in snowrunners where you can deliver something in under an hour (mud aside).

Motor Town? It's a bit like a mini Euro Truck Sim. You can do a delivery within ~30 mins, there's also taxi, busses, tow trucks, ambulance and police missions. Plus some optional racing and car tuning.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sunless Skies.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm looking for a game about sorting through cruft to find the good stuff. Something that really captures the feel of rooting through a box of junk to find the exact size screw I need for a project. But I don't want it tacked on to another game. I want the self directed project nature of zomboid but with no zombies and new boxes of junk just kind of show up each morning.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Splicer posted:

I'm looking for a game about sorting through cruft to find the good stuff. Something that really captures the feel of rooting through a box of junk to find the exact size screw I need for a project. But I don't want it tacked on to another game. I want the self directed project nature of zomboid but with no zombies and new boxes of junk just kind of show up each morning.

Did you play Unpacking?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Looking for a game that can be easily played in a small window and paused whenever necessary, as something for my hands to do while watching a TV show (yes, I probably have some sort of ADHD). Nothing that'd make me think too hard. Previous games that fit the bill: Vampire Survivors, Binding of Isaac, Project Warlock, the Quell games, Defender's Quest, Dungeon Warfare 1 and 2 (come to think of it, any good tower defense games came out lately?), Downwell, Mini Metro and Motorways...

There's definitely been more so I'm mostly looking for newer games.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Splicer posted:

This might be a mega stupid recommendation but what about hidden objects games? Like that kind where you get a static image full of piles and piles of junk and you gotta sift through it. You can usually just click through whatever daft plot was woven around it if necessary. Artifex Mundi have published a lot of good ones over the past ten years or so.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Looking for a game that can be easily played in a small window and paused whenever necessary, as something for my hands to do while watching a TV show (yes, I probably have some sort of ADHD). Nothing that'd make me think too hard. Previous games that fit the bill: Vampire Survivors, Binding of Isaac, Project Warlock, the Quell games, Defender's Quest, Dungeon Warfare 1 and 2 (come to think of it, any good tower defense games came out lately?), Downwell, Mini Metro and Motorways...

I definitely do have ADHD and I enjoy grinding in JRPGs and relatively forgiving roguelikes for this

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

Turbo Overkill is like Project Warlock, but more so

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

anilEhilated posted:

Recently I've been playing lots of World of Horror like this. Kind of a roguelike J-horror RPG/adventure game, or if you're familiar with the board game Arkham Horror it's basically exactly that. Easy to dip in and out at any time, nothing is real-time sensitive, events are basically a description and 1-3 choices on how to deal with it, combat is fairly uncommon and turn-based, and it has a lot of little tweaks that can be customized/randomized to change things up from game to game. And a single run takes about 20 minutes.

Be aware if you're sensitive to jump scares that it does randomly hit you with one if you alt-tab a lot, but there are very few in the game proper.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

Turbo Overkill is like Project Warlock, but more so
I have that one but I feel it's going to deserve my undivided(-ish) attention. I'm a big retro shooter fan but Project Warlock really worked because it's so simplistic.

SkeletonHero posted:

Recently I've been playing lots of World of Horror like this. Kind of a roguelike J-horror RPG/adventure game, or if you're familiar with the board game Arkham Horror it's basically exactly that. Easy to dip in and out at any time, nothing is real-time sensitive, events are basically a description and 1-3 choices on how to deal with it, combat is fairly uncommon and turn-based, and it has a lot of little tweaks that can be customized/randomized to change things up from game to game. And a single run takes about 20 minutes.

Be aware if you're sensitive to jump scares that it does randomly hit you with one if you alt-tab a lot, but there are very few in the game proper.
This sounds great!

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 30, 2023

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Splicer posted:

Ever play Wilmot’s Warehouse? The gameplay is split between receiving new boxes and shipping them out, so you have to organize things yourself in prep for the shipping phase

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Splicer posted:

This is going to sound silly but Hobo: Tough Life has a very good scavenging component where you’re rummaging through trash bins for all kinds of stuff. I find it very calming, actually. It is tacked on to the rest of the game but is one of the main activities you’re doing every day and the only overarching goal is to survive.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

anilEhilated posted:

Since you mentioned Defender's Quest, it seems the sequel might actually come out soon after spending a decade in development limbo. The Steam page has recently updated its release date to "2023".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

FTL
Backpack Hero
Punch Club
Luftrausers
Shotgun King
Sunshine Heavy Industries
Steamworld Dig
Solar 2

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
brotato?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kirbysuperstar posted:

Did you play Unpacking?
Very good game (gently caress that one guy, you know who) but not what I'm craving.

Sway Grunt posted:

This might be a mega stupid recommendation but what about hidden objects games? Like that kind where you get a static image full of piles and piles of junk and you gotta sift through it. You can usually just click through whatever daft plot was woven around it if necessary. Artifex Mundi have published a lot of good ones over the past ten years or so.
I get where you're coming from but wouldn't scratch the itch I have.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Ever play Wilmot’s Warehouse? The gameplay is split between receiving new boxes and shipping them out, so you have to organize things yourself in prep for the shipping phase
Looks neat but from reading the description it's kind of the opposite of what I'm looking for in some ways. I want what counts as "the good stuff" is to emerge fairly organically from somewhat self-directed projects.

Cantorsdust posted:

This is going to sound silly but Hobo: Tough Life has a very good scavenging component where you’re rummaging through trash bins for all kinds of stuff. I find it very calming, actually. It is tacked on to the rest of the game but is one of the main activities you’re doing every day and the only overarching goal is to survive.
Very close to what I want but literally playing a hobo seems a little too on the nose. Might still check it out.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Hw about Neo Scavenger?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Pierzak posted:

Hw about Neo Scavenger?

Neo Scavenger is a really good game but if they don't like the combat element of Zomboid they might not like it. I'd at least look into it though and maybe put it on steam wishlist for a sale.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah I'm basically looking for junk drawer simulator which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist.

E: oh hey there is a junk/yard/ simulator. I wonder if it's just cars.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 30, 2023

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Have you tried a really big jigsaw op

Puzzling Places is one of the best jigsaw games I've played with the drawback that it's VR only - you're assembling 3D scans of places and landscapes. It definitely gives me that rummaging around feeling looking for the perfect piece and I played a lot of it when I was (not) studying during the pandemic

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Splicer posted:

Yeah I'm basically looking for junk drawer simulator which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist.

E: oh hey there is a junk/yard/ simulator. I wonder if it's just cars.

You might enjoy car mechanic simulator. There’s a lot of slowly disassembling a piece of junk, finding the part causing whatever issue, replacing with a new one, then methodically putting everything back together.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Splicer posted:

I haven't played it but this reads similar to A Little to the Left.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Kind of an out-of-the-box suggestion but I play online poker (just for fun, not with real money) for free while watching TV/movies/sports etc sometimes because of ADHD. Can replace poker with card game of choice, you can find em all online.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Kind of an out-of-the-box suggestion but I play online poker (just for fun, not with real money) for free while watching TV/movies/sports etc sometimes because of ADHD. Can replace poker with card game of choice, you can find em all online.
This is actually a really cool idea, thanks!

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
Since there is a lot of strategy games on sales now on Steam any good recommendations that are somewhat easy to learn? Only real experience I have is playing Starcraft 1 while in my underwear on the home computer in the living room, don't know if I can handle the intensity of that micro management though.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Like turn based or RTS? What kind of scale are you looking for?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pooperscooper posted:

Since there is a lot of strategy games on sales now on Steam any good recommendations that are somewhat easy to learn? Only real experience I have is playing Starcraft 1 while in my underwear on the home computer in the living room, don't know if I can handle the intensity of that micro management though.

Creeper World
Darwinia
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War I and II
Command & Conquer

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Like turn based or RTS? What kind of scale are you looking for?

Probably turn base since I'm looking for more of a laid back approach instead of super frantic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pooperscooper posted:

Probably turn base since I'm looking for more of a laid back approach instead of super frantic.
Check out the Hexarchy demo it's extremely chill.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Pooperscooper posted:

Creeper World is the series for you. You're building a base with 1 resource in your economy (energy) and all of your units are movable buildings, so it plays a little like a tower defense game, but continual, not in waves. Your enemy is a fluid that will continually pour out of emitters, and fill up lower levels of the map before spilling over onto higher levels (i.e. if the creeper is on the opposite side of a canyon from you, it will fill the canyon before spilling over it to the level that you're on).

Most levels consist of building up your economy while keeping it at bay (usually by hammering a chokepoint such as a canyon or crater so it has to fill that before getting to you) before you have enough energy to power enough weapons to reduce its presence, rather than just holding it back. It's a very relaxed gameplay loop where you're rarely really in danger so long as your continually spending money on more energy generation.

Start with creeper world 1, it's a relatively simple flash game, and each one plays a little differently and adds a bit more complexity. It's one of my all time favorite flash games and I'll buy whatever this guys makes because the original has given me so many stoned hours of enjoyment.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pooperscooper posted:

atom zombie smasher

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is particle fleet emergence any good?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Not quite as good as the Creeper Worlds--a lot of the time there's not much strategy beyond blobbing all your ships at one emitter after the other--but I still enjoyed it. I like the "GoodMorningMode" custom maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Any recommendations for tower defense games with the sale?

I've already played

Defense Grid (1&2)
Creeper World (I know goons like it but I found it unengaging)
The Riftbreaker (this one was a blast, 150+ hours of play time)
Kingdom
The Last Spell (I wouldn't call this a tower defense but steam thinks it is)
Orcs Must Die (1-3, this is a lot of fun multiplayer. Writing is the funny sort of cringey)
Factorio (loved this, but more for the logistics than the primitive tower defense elements)
Space Run (played the campaign twice)

Pooperscooper posted:

Space Run is pretty entertaining tower defense game. It starts off easy. The last few levels can get pretty hectic, but the enemy waves are scripted so you can try, try again until you've memorized them and/or found a strategy that works.

How do you feel about turn-based strategy games like X-Com? I feel like they're much easier to learn then RTSes like Starcraft because the gameplay is inherently less chaotic so it's easier to tell why something didn't work when it all goes pear-shaped.

If you're specifically looking for "Starcraft but easier", maybe give Northgard a try? It plays fairly similarly but with a much smaller unit count so it's easier to manage.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 3, 2023