Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
If there isn’t already a bouncy Spongearama jingle, we need to create one.

perhaps to the tune of the Alleluia Chorus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

seems like a combination of sponges and tarps would be a pretty effective defense against flooding

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
more like tarpoff city

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

you people are all missing one key point.

The sponges are in plastic. they're WATERPROOF. if someone had just unwrapped all of them before they left yesterday, there'd be no flooding at all in Florida. but no, people don't think about others these days.

just more reason for people to demonize plastic, I guess. more reason for the grocery store to charge us 10c a bag.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

dig this guy just ambling

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

so seems its progressing as expected and a bunch of poor people probably get their homes hosed up but its not some catastrophic loss of life situation?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Poor people probably get their homes hosed up

quote:

some catastrophic loss of life situation?

Dude, poor people losing their homes is a catastrophic loss of their life. Once you become homeless, you're under a death sentence in America

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

yes thats entirely what i was implying and not just asking about the relative humanitarian situation jesus loving christ

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

NeonPunk posted:

Dude, poor people losing their homes is a catastrophic loss of their life. Once you become homeless, you're under a death sentence in America

lol, bad faith reading of posts sucks

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

NeonPunk posted:

So what you're saying is that you endorse the death penalty for the impoverished??

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Chicken Butt posted:

If there isn’t already a bouncy Spongearama jingle, we need to create one.

perhaps to the tune of the Alleluia Chorus?

"Natural sponges" is the same number of syllables :thunk:

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Virigoth posted:

people in Sarasota are apparently swimming in the storm surge so that tracks.

Don’t they have flesh eating bacteria in the lakes and tributaries there? lol

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Rynn posted:

Don’t they have flesh eating bacteria in the lakes and tributaries there? lol

It's the ones that can eat the brain you really want to watch out.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
drink salt water and you’ll be spared the bacteria

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

dr_rat posted:

It's the ones that can eat the brain you really want to watch out.

i mean the hurricane will probably knock out internet and cell towers so facebook and twitter won't be a problem

skooma512 posted:

drink salt water and you’ll be spared the bacteria

a little bit of cholera never* hurt^ anyone!

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

dead webcam replaced by gofundme link

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
wow they extended the hurricane warning out to the georgia coast

wind field is the size of the entire state fuuukk

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i think my presisdent got through to the NHC with his Sharpie Powers though look at that hook into Bermuda haha

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

wow they extended the hurricane warning out to the georgia coast

wind field is the size of the entire state fuuukk

power back up for Bermuda?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

chasing after franklin, don't go!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

can anyone summarize what happened overnight? sounds like cat 4 landfall then died down quite a bit?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Spongeorama messed up and plastic sealed their whole inventory, meaning our biggest hope to avert disaster was foiled by little tarps. Oh how that which saves also destroys.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

actionjackson posted:

can anyone summarize what happened overnight? sounds like cat 4 landfall then died down quite a bit?

that’s how hurricanes work

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

actionjackson posted:

the hurricane made landfall in a sparsely populated area and as a result there hasn't been a ton of dramatic destruction to report on, and it will overall probably be a much less catastrophic disaster than it could have been if it had hit elsewhere

assuming of course it does not tokyo drift 180 degrees and come back to hit Florida a second time like a few of the models are predicting as a possibility

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

to be clear, the unprecedented part of this unprecedented storm was where it made landfall. which is was the middle of nowhere

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

a forgotten coast if you will

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Hey, the oceanside restaurant with the crab empanadas got wrecked, please allow us to mourn before making jokes.

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

actionjackson posted:

The eyewall replacement cycle happened right before it hit land. Like, 15-20 min before it made proper landfall so the south wall started deteriorating. That's why it went from Cat 3 to 4 back to 3 so quickly. If the ERC would have had a chance to complete, it probably would have been a bit more vicious.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

dodged a bullet by a couple hours, SAD!

rip perry but that's about it so far afaik, storm surge in a lot of areas already receeding a bit

ThatBasqueGuy has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Aug 30, 2023

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Lots of flooding but not as bad as it could have been. Cedar Key recorded a six-foot storm surge rather than the ten feet that some experts had predicted.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ZachCoveyTV/status/1696894228708647256

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
the wrapping of empanadas are like little doughy tarps

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

why the gently caress would it be "heartbreaking" lol

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Lots of flooding but not as bad as it could have been. Cedar Key recorded a six-foot storm surge rather than the ten feet that some experts had predicted.
Good for the people, bad for the lulz. Such is life.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

why the gently caress would it be "heartbreaking" lol

https://twitter.com/RachelWellingT/status/1696921853267263683

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

INCREDIBLE VIDeo some trees got wet

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Is Roy's still ok??

Thesaurus posted:

I'll let life pass me by at Roy's

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Thesaurus posted:

Is Roy's still ok??

it's probably not doing great

https://twitter.com/JordynMarkhoff/status/1696882670054092884

big fan of the giant yardstick they keep to measure just how deep underwater they are at any given time

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Sounds like even Perry isn't hit too bad all things considering. That eyewall intensification really loving saved the day at the last minute huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like other storms have tried to do an ERC right before landfall but I can't think of any off the top of my head