Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.

Vox Nihili posted:

Window facing an ill-kept front yard
Plums on the tree heavy with nectar
Prayers to summon the destroying angel
Moon stuttering in the sky like film stuck in a projector
And you

every time i hear the word "tallahassee"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Pokemon Go to higher ground

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
What’s heartbreaking is they built all this poo poo in a place that was definitely going to be destroyed.

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like other storms have tried to do an ERC right before landfall but I can't think of any off the top of my head

Katrina went through one, though that actually might have been worse for that area.

Pretty sure at least one of the hurricanes hitting Louisiana the last few years did too.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Unless posted:

Tarpon Springs

it's florida. it's supposed to be wet and on fire.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

stealie72 posted:

Good for the people, bad for the lulz. Such is life.

gently caress off

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I guess Mother Nature needs to try harder next time. :smug:

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/beftok_official/status/1696934936278683861

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
just a gun subforum mod popping into cspam in search of "lulz" at death and suffering, it's fine

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

What’s heartbreaking is they built all this poo poo in a place that was definitely going to be destroyed.
sort of? no, no one should live there. but it costs money to move, and these aren't exactly wealthy places.

there should be massive well-funded programs to relocate people from environments like this. instead, state governments and the feds will just wait for storms to do the work for them, and people will end up homeless when the aid they believe exists never materializes and their insurance fucks them over

the rich ones will rebuild and not care. and probably end up buying more property left behind.

it's bad

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ram dass in hell posted:

just a gun subforum mod popping into cspam in search of "lulz" at death and suffering, it's fine

They Shoot Hurricanes, Don't They?

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

but ben shapiro said that these people can simply sell their property if they are worried about it being claimed by the ocean.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

storm chasers running around broadcasting poo poo and getting mad that the destruction isn't enough are loving scum. they see the people suffering as a backdrop. gently caress them.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

storm chasers running around broadcasting poo poo and getting mad that the destruction isn't enough are loving scum. they see the people suffering as a backdrop. gently caress them.

:hai:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Too Many Birds posted:

but ben shapiro said that these people can simply sell their property if they are worried about it being claimed by the ocean.

I think North Carolina (maybe south?) actually has a law that says the state can’t use climate change when determining where coastal development happens

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

sort of? no, no one should live there. but it costs money to move, and these aren't exactly wealthy places.

there should be massive well-funded programs to relocate people from environments like this. instead, state governments and the feds will just wait for storms to do the work for them, and people will end up homeless when the aid they believe exists never materializes and their insurance fucks them over

the rich ones will rebuild and not care. and probably end up buying more property left behind.

it's bad

there's a weird tendency among some on the left to rail against relocation programs as a form of genocide. and (as always) there's a lot of talking past each other whenever it comes up.

but uh, at some point there has to be a way to save people by whatever form of coercion works. I can't imagine a better form than like "we'll take you and hopefully your community out of the path of repeated natural catastrophes". I just can't imagine any currently extant national government doing it well

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

you cant just rebuild the rich parts of destroyed areas, because they rely on people who live in the poorer parts to function. if a town of 50k gets flattened, the 5k richest people rebuilding would end up with a city that has basically no services available. i guess everyone could commute in to work but thats going to dramatically increase the costs of everything. and as more towns get knocked down and only the richest fraction restored, this will compound upon itself over and over. to say nothing of the effect of negative housing growth on the affordability of a state over time.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

can Idalia and Franklin merge into a hypercane

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I think North Carolina (maybe south?) actually has a law that says the state can’t use climate change when determining where coastal development happens

yeah NC did that. as far as i know it's still on the books. there are worse states, but NC's pretty bad.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

that's most places though

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

celadon posted:

you cant just rebuild the rich parts of destroyed areas, because they rely on people who live in the poorer parts to function. if a town of 50k gets flattened, the 5k richest people rebuilding would end up with a city that has basically no services available. i guess everyone could commute in to work but thats going to dramatically increase the costs of everything. and as more towns get knocked down and only the richest fraction restored, this will compound upon itself over and over. to say nothing of the effect of negative housing growth on the affordability of a state over time.

sorry are we talking about Florida or the Rust Belt, I guess deindustrialization is a type of Weather

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

what about me, the curious viewer, am I scum

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

some of the buildings are from the civil war era. remember this was unprecedented.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

just walking through the wreckage of the 2004 tsunami saying this to people

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
There seems to be a general expectation that each natural disaster has to be worse than whatever the worst one was. Raise the bar. Otherwise no one cares.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

smoobles posted:

yes

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

smoobles posted:

can Idalia and Franklin merge into a hypercane

Franklin fears commitment and has fled north

but love always finds a way

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
i lust for the climate death of my political enemies

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm sure Franklin will cause havoc whereever it ends up. Place bets on whether that's Ireland, the UK, or Iberia.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

smoobles posted:

eh, idk about scum. we're all rubberneckin the end of the world tho lol

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
This is what the latest GFS does with the remnants of Idalia two weeks from now.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

SirPablo posted:

This is what the latest GFS does with the remnants of Idalia two weeks from now.

Now that I think of it, they're in a drought aren't they?

You're welcome, UKailures :smug:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
We always get florida's sloppy seconds

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
And no we're not in a drought that was last year :colbert:

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

o'dalia

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

To serious post for a second it does genuinely amaze me that weather systems travel so far. A low forms over central America, runs over Florida as a hurricane, and may end up as a storm over the British Isles. A typhoon forms in the middle of the pacific, hit Japan, goes into the Bering Strait, and ends up affecting Ohio.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

ram dass in hell posted:

death and guns are awesome though

:dehumanize:

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Aug 30, 2023

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

sure has made Ireland green again

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

i lust for the climate death of my political enemies

Im an equal opportunity climate change voyeur. Climate death will come for us all in a long enough timeline and it’s easier to just join the winning team (climate death).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

it’s sickening how people just hope bad weather strikes innocent peo-

SirPablo posted:

oh hell yeah gently caress the british hope it washes them all away