Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When I was dating my now-wife the first time we went to France she shoplifted a bunch of stuff from this expensive boutique. I was sitting on a bench by the Centre Pompidou and watched her get stopped at the exit. She couldn’t do french and I was wondering if I should go over there

She played the sorry I am a clueless foreigner card well enough and got away with just giving the stuff back

Except not really, the items she actually wanted weren’t in her purse they were stuffed in her bra and she still has and wears them

That’s the day I knew, and we still shoplift from big name grocery stores, no regrets this is praxis
they gonna throw you in the bastille for that and serve you champagne and pate on crackers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

actually it’s being promoted by the worlds biggest corporations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

git apologist posted:

actually it’s being promoted by the worlds biggest corporations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc

that fuckin' whole thing was a Bezos pet project, too

I think they're finally slowly decommissioning the project though, but man what a waste

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

numberoneposter posted:

they gonna throw you in the bastille for that and serve you champagne and pate on crackers

Being a prisoner in France probably a better life than most Americans experience

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Triikan posted:

Being a prisoner in France probably a better life than most Americans experience

Ya see them Norwegian prisons? They got Playstation.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

And did the cat even appreciate it?

Of course not, she's a cat

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Does anyone remember maybe like a year or two ago there was a video of a shoplifter going to Whole foods videoing the whole thing to Robin Hood and Little John going through forest disney song then at the end of the video they start handing out that poo poo to the homeless? Was a real cool video.

Goodass stuff

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

tony quidtana posted:

I used to work in a camera shop/photo lab that didn't have a camera on the actual inventory room, just the hallway with the entrance to it. Me and the assistant manager unloaded the photo paper order, stuffed some expensive cameras into the boxes they came in then walked them out to our car trucks parked by the cardboard recycling.

always good when management is in on the con

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

its all nice on rice posted:

Glad to know my assumption that fred meyer is full of poo poo when they won't let me leave the store without checking my receipt is correct. They definitely need a guy with a gun and bulletproof vest marking my purchase with a highlighter.

quote:

A Fred Meyer loss prevention manager, who stole nearly $230,000 from self-checkout machines at one of the chain’s Northeast Portland stores, was sentenced last week to four years in prison.

Emily Tallman, 37, had no criminal history, and state sentencing guidelines would have recommended probation if she had only stolen once. But she ended up getting years in prison because of the amount she stole, the position of trust she held and video surveillance showing she went back to the machines again and again in the first half of 2017 -- amounting to 21 thefts in all.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/201...?outputType=amp

Thesaurus posted:

always good when management is in on the con

When I worked retail a cool manager who was fun to talk to set up a scheme with a manager at another store to move TVs between the two locations and “lose them” in transit then sell them on the side. Kinda forgot to consider corporate loss prevention investigates repeat events like that & they got busted fast.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 30, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I worked one Christmas at The Good Guys in the late 90s, and :lol: IIRC 3 out of 4 long-term managers quit on the spot when confronted with their loving huuuuuuuuge, massive, multi-year big screen TV scam. Freaked a lot of people out, because they were worried they were going to get caught with their scams. My buddies working there stuck a 3dfx Voodoo in the open-box Compaq I bought with my high school graduation money and I am eternally grateful. I couldn't believe that company staggered on for as long as it did... then everyone got laid off and went to work for Circuit City.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

dervival posted:

that fuckin' whole thing was a Bezos pet project, too

I think they're finally slowly decommissioning the project though, but man what a waste

it just got sold into marvel stadium in melbourne

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

all this talk about shoplifting but no one is talking about the damage it does to their foundations

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vampire Panties posted:

I worked one Christmas at The Good Guys in the late 90s, and :lol: IIRC 3 out of 4 long-term managers quit on the spot when confronted with their loving huuuuuuuuge, massive, multi-year big screen TV scam. Freaked a lot of people out, because they were worried they were going to get caught with their scams. My buddies working there stuck a 3dfx Voodoo in the open-box Compaq I bought with my high school graduation money and I am eternally grateful. I couldn't believe that company staggered on for as long as it did... then everyone got laid off and went to work for Circuit City.

I got a Wii when they were super hard to get, that had about 5+ games in the box as well as a new tv for the price of the tv the department paid for it.

I was told not to bring the tv back to the store if there were any problems with it, instead go straight to the manufacturer.

Sometimes its nice having friends work retail

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When I was dating my now-wife the first time we went to France she shoplifted a bunch of stuff from this expensive boutique. I was sitting on a bench by the Centre Pompidou and watched her get stopped at the exit. She couldn’t do french and I was wondering if I should go over there

She played the sorry I am a clueless foreigner card well enough and got away with just giving the stuff back

Except not really, the items she actually wanted weren’t in her purse they were stuffed in her bra and she still has and wears them

That’s the day I knew, and we still shoplift from big name grocery stores, no regrets this is praxis

your wifes a hero

Charles Bukowski posted:

I like to take things from lost and founds. Who does it really belong to, anyway?

this though is NOT praxis

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Come and fight me then, cop. If something has been sitting collecting dust, it should be taken to be used. People abandon a lot of weights and electronics at a hotel, bags get dated and then they sit in boxes for years. Hogwash, just take stuff.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
I work for a v large food retail company and individual theft is about the same but org-crime shop lift team operations are like 10x more of a thing than 3 years ago

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
where they have like one guy pretending to load up a cart all obvious but meanwhile 5 guys are funneling poo poo out a side door

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Charles Bukowski posted:

Come and fight me then, cop. If something has been sitting collecting dust, it should be taken to be used. People abandon a lot of weights and electronics at a hotel, bags get dated and then they sit in boxes for years. Hogwash, just take stuff.

Cops take other peoples stuff all the time, you're the cop

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Costco Meatballs posted:

where they have like one guy pretending to load up a cart all obvious but meanwhile 5 guys are funneling poo poo out a side door

they sound cool and i wish them well

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
feel relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWqNdXznQY8

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
There was an interesting movie sort of about this called Emily the Thief. I guess it's more credit card fraud than shoplifting but there is a lot of similarities when you get down to it.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
What pisses me off is when people just grab full hams from the refrigerated section and leave them out to spoil because they're too lazy to put them back. Sonofabitch that animal died to be food, not by its choice but still, don't let its sacrifice be in vain because you're a lazy rear end in a top hat! :( Atleast stuff it in your shirt or something and don't let it waste away.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
My friends in college asked if I wanted to go drink beer at Fred Meyers. We were 19 and I was pretty sure FM didn't serve beer.

I was told to wear a sweatshirt or something warm. We went to the walk-in beer cooler (no cameras) and just started cracking beers open and slamming them as fast as possible.

Great way to start your Friday night.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Grimace posted:

What pisses me off is when people just grab full hams from the refrigerated section and leave them out to spoil because they're too lazy to put them back. Sonofabitch that animal died to be food, not by its choice but still, don't let its sacrifice be in vain because you're a lazy rear end in a top hat! :( Atleast stuff it in your shirt or something and don't let it waste away.

Agreed, grimace

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Cops take other peoples stuff all the time, you're the cop

The only thing I can cop to is that you're a dink.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Charles Bukowski posted:

The only thing I can cop to is that you're a dink.

No I'm sorry, for the crime of taking a sweater that's been abandoned for 11 months I sentence you to being a cop. Oink oink, fascist!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

"The shoplifting crisis is actually made up bullshit!"

*goons go on for 5 pages about all the things they steal*

Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Sophy Wackles posted:

Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

goon realizing that stealing is a real thing people do and not just for the movies

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Sophy Wackles posted:

Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

The goons have been very clear that they've been shoplifting for many years, not just recently!

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Thesaurus posted:

The goons have been very clear that they've been shoplifting for many years, not just recently!

:hmmyes:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I freaking love stealing

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i still have a pretty high bounty in vvardenfell

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

when the grocery store has a BOGO sale, it's like you're legally stealing

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Starfield will be the most immersive shoplifting sim yet

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sophy Wackles posted:

Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

you got me, I admit it, it was me

I stole $94.1 billion worth of food and retail goods by sliding extra items past the scanner at the self checkout machine

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

If anyone actually believes the 95 billion number that would mean the average American stole over 300 dollars worth of goods per person every year.

Lol at the dumbest people in the world believing this.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

PinheadSlim posted:

If anyone actually believes the 95 billion number that would mean the average American stole over 300 dollars worth of goods per person every year.

pff i know right? thats just like one tin of caviar.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Myself I wanted to get my $300 annual stealing budget all in one go, 300 dollars times 50 years is about 15,000

So I shoved a Honda Fit under my dress and now I have so much more free time, and a Honda Fit!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Always wondered how easy it would be for someone who practices slight of hand for magic tricks to use it to shoplift.

Like, would Teller be able to walk into a crowded grocery store and walk out with a couple hundred dollars worth of poo poo with nobody noticing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Deki posted:

Always wondered how easy it would be for someone who practices slight of hand for magic tricks to use it to shoplift.

Like, would Teller be able to walk into a crowded grocery store and walk out with a couple hundred dollars worth of poo poo with nobody noticing?

he would be too busy telling everyone how much of an atheist he is