Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

Who needs a tiling WM when Tmux and a single open terminal is all you need?
This but unironically.

Since 2000 I used ratpoison-wm like this, and only really switched to i3 and subsequently sway because it seemed like ratpoison-wm wasn't going to fix an issue I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
i just have 10 thousand tabs open in my browser and terminal as god intended

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
who needs tiling when you've got 3 27" monitors :smuggo:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im at the point where if i need the terminal to perform some regular task i'll make it so i don't have to use the terminal to do that

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mycophobia posted:

I'm at the point where if I need the terminal to perform some regular task, I'll make it so I don't have to use the terminal to do that.

So you want to be less efficient?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i have yet to not gain efficiency through this practice. ironically most of the benefits are at work when im on windows, where ive turned the process of opening a command window and typing stuff into dragging files onto batch scripts on my desktop

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

:ok:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Computer.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
can’t stand the things

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
point is that the mouse is good, and guis are good. these are the things that ive learned

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mycophobia posted:

The point is that the mouse is good, and GUI's are good. These are the things that I've learned

Yes, not using the command line in Windows is good. I think you wandered into the Linux thread in YOSPOS by mistake. Here is the correct thread you are looking for.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
wtf why did you retype my post you weirdo

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol whoa

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
but to your point i would kill to use MATE at work instead of windows because the windows gui is rear end

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol I would only have expected sagebrush to do that

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

mycophobia posted:

lmao

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

this makes a lot more sense now, at least

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

he flapped your jacks and thats that.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mycophobia posted:

My jacks have been flapped!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/08/the-torrid-saga-of-reiserfs-nears-its-end-with-obsolete-label-in-linux-kernel/

reiserfs has now been marked as obsolete in the linux kernel

which I guess it’ll be removed at some point

which is hilarious because if the filesystem’s namesake wasn’t a murderous psychopath, it would probably have had a chance to supersede ext2 and be the filesystem of choice. Except we now have xfs which is ok but it doesn’t do well with sudden unavailability of power

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

sb hermit posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/08/the-torrid-saga-of-reiserfs-nears-its-end-with-obsolete-label-in-linux-kernel/

which is hilarious because if the filesystem’s namesake wasn’t a murderous psychopath, it would probably have had a chance to supersede ext2 and be the filesystem of choice. Except we now have xfs which is ok but it doesn’t do well with sudden unavailability of power

I used RFS4 way back in the day, and it was quite good. Better than EXT3. It's a shame about the murder. :smith:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
XFS itself survives power interruptions just fine. Data in files might not, but anything that cares already uses a WAL.

Now back in ~2002 when XFS was introduced to kernel 2.4 yeah it would massacre your entire filesystem if you didn't shut down cleanly, but anything below 2.6 wasn't really Linux in any recognizably modern form.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

sb hermit posted:

woke cancel culture :argh:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Sapozhnik posted:

XFS itself survives power interruptions just fine. Data in files might not, but anything that cares already uses a WAL.

where else does an application with a wal put it other than a file lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
data in files that were written after an fsync successfully returns or after a storage hardware failure occurs might not*

if you really want to be a pedant

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just put all the data in the filename imo

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just put all the data in the filename imo

filename is just a bitfield anyway

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mr. Crow posted:

who needs tiling when you've got 3 27" monitors :smuggo:

so true....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ziasquinn posted:

so true....

looking at this just makes me worry about multi-monitor mixed DPI support

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

corona familiar posted:

it makes me want to pet the cat

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQJoPlkb1x0

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

corona familiar posted:

no worries they are all 24 in 1080p as god wills it

mystes
May 31, 2006

I finally got a working 4k monitor and it's pretty nice. With text zoomed in it's a similar experience to using a 2k monitor but then I can zoom out and have way more on the screen with it still being legible.

My only complaint is that it turned out the kde tiling extension I was using (bismuth) has been abandoned in a state where it's like 95% functional and just doesn't always respond immediately to windows being closed and there's a PR to fix it but the developer doesn't care enough to merge it, but instead it's been replaced with a new one (polonium) using features of newer versions of kwin but of course the new one is currently buggier and less functional than the old one and the developer is basically saying "it's kwin's fault and also I don't have time to work on it right now"

OK then how about fixing the old one first instead :argh:

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 3, 2023

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mystes posted:

I finally got a working 4k monitor and it's pretty nice. With text zoomed in it's a similar experience to using a 2k monitor but then I can zoom out and have way more on the screen with it still being legible.

My only complaint is that it turned out the kde tiling extension I was using (bismuth) has been abandoned in a state where it's like 95% functional and just doesn't always respond immediately to windows being closed and there's a PR to fix it but the developer doesn't care enough to merge it, but instead it's been replaced with a new one (polonium) using features of newer versions of kwin but of course the new one is currently buggier and less functional than the old one and the developer is basically saying "it's kwin's fault and also I don't have time to work on it right now"

OK then how about fixing the old one first instead :argh:

it’s open sores just fork it and maintain your own version

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
KDE Plasma 6.0 Planned For Release In Early February

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

might be the first phoronix post about kde with no mention of wayland updates in the last decade

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i bought a $180 hp laptop and put debian on it and it work. that is all

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

by posting that, you have now cursed yourself to a 1 hour battery life, and an internal microphone that only works when you first plug in, then unplug an external mic

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
AMD raytracing is kind of broken and slow with Steam and Proton. What gives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

nudgenudgetilt posted:

by posting that, you have now cursed yourself to a 1 hour battery life, and an internal microphone that only works when you first plug in, then unplug an external mic

i actually hadnt tested the mic or camera yet but they work, thanks.