Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Siegkrow posted:

Wait, back up a second for those of us not in the know, being Jewish is genetic (Or maybe ethnic?)?
Alaois got the core idea, beyond that, people argue. (If you convert, which is usually not difficult if you were already raised Jewish, you count as Jewish going forwards.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Read Hawkgirl #1 and it was not good.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

quote:

Amid Nightwing’s investigation of the mystery behind the secret society called the Hold and their connection to the origin of Blüdhaven, Dick runs into his old flame Bea Bennett!

there is no escaping secret societies and a city's ancient past in a bat-related book anymore, is there

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Parallax posted:

there is no escaping secret societies and a city's ancient past in a bat-related book anymore, is there

Is Scott Snyder writing a Batbook again?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Read Hawkgirl #1 and it was not good.

Yeah. The second issue is bad. It's a shame. I wanted to like it but it is not good

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah. The second issue is bad. It's a shame. I wanted to like it but it is not good

That is a shame. I still might finish out the series since I'm reading it through the app.

The JSA, doom patrol, and SHAZAM! books are good so far at least.

WildC.A.T.S. and superboy are not good.

Cyborg and steelworks aremediocre.

I should read city boy and spirit world and see if they are decent.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 18, 2023

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parallax posted:

They gotta also get back into how Batman's granddad put all the gargoyles and skyways in town for a Reason

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
And the world's greatest detective didn't notice until 900+ issues in smdh

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

To be fair I could buy Bruce being aloof enough to just shoulder shrug that Gotham just always been a spooky town and how it's perfect for Batman and never think to look into it due to being on day 3 of no sleep/micro-naps because Joker did a blah blah blah, and that fits into an old case from 20 years back, while Penguin did a whatchamacall it and that ties into some Talia al Ghul stuff, meanwhile someone STILL hasn't fixed that creaky door in some part of Wayne Manor.......

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Mr Hootington posted:

I should read city boy and spirit world and see if they are decent.

Spirit World is great.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Darth Nat posted:

Spirit World is great.

City Boy isn't bad either.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
City Boy needs to link up with Jack Hawksmoor already

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Darth Nat posted:

Spirit World is great.

I do like making sure John Constantine is still an absolute rat bastard, but also loving hates deadnaming someone. It fits him so much.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Darth Nat posted:

Spirit World is great.

I'll probably pick that up - I was kind of a bit bummed out that Constantine got folded into Cape stuff (even though I always loved when he would interact with them), but I should probably finally get over it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Disco Pope posted:

I'll probably pick that up - I was kind of a bit bummed out that Constantine got folded into Cape stuff (even though I always loved when he would interact with them), but I should probably finally get over it.

He had 300 issues at Vertigo, he did what he needed to do.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Didn't constantine piss on the vampire king?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah but he was a complete prick, had just killed a kid and was going to kill John too so it was justifiable uricide.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i like spirit world but i get the feeling it'll be a better read when it's over, it's kinda slight just going issue by issue

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Siegkrow posted:

Who hasn't? The vampire king has a very specific kink.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Siegkrow posted:

Was this a typical Constantine gambit, like his piss was holy or something?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

He had 300 issues at Vertigo, he did what he needed to do.

No, I won't be satisfied until I'm 11 years old again in awe at all the cool older goth girls and alternative boys buying armfuls of Sandman and Preacher while the shop plays Helmet and reeks of weed.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 22, 2023

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Disco Pope posted:

Was this a typical Constantine gambit, like his piss was holy or something?

The opposite, if anything. The King found him during a homeless stint on the streets, gloated for a bit, took a chomp...then started gagging/melting because he did not find John's demon tainted blood agreeable. Pissing on him as he was dying was the cherry on the cake.

If anything, he got off lightly.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

No, I won't be satisfied until I'm 11 years old again in awe at all the cool older goth girls and alternative boys buying armfuls of Sandman and Preacher while the shop plays Helmet and reeks of weed.

A bygone era, that we all would love to go back to. I am still surprised how well Johnny the Homicidal Maniac still sells, so many years later.

It's sad Vertigo is gone, but it did change everything.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Is Infinity Inc any good/worth reading? I just finished the second JSA volume and really enjoyed it, and it seems like a lot of the legacy members were featured heavily in it. I think I also saw that it’s where Mister Bones first started showing up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Awww man there used to be a older kid in the neighbourhood I grew up in that had all the cool older kid comics and I was always in such awe of them even if I didn't know what they were. Dude was like my hero.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Read the outsiders (1993-1995) and it is awful. It is all of the worst tendecies of the 90s rolled into one book. Lmao that any of the characters managed to be used again afterward.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Knight Terrors came and went like a wet fart and I'm really drat tired of these event comics interrupting the current runs, doesn't allow the runs to actually develop.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Siegkrow posted:

Knight Terrors came and went like a wet fart and I'm really drat tired of these event comics interrupting the current runs, doesn't allow the runs to actually develop.

Yeah there wasn't a whole lot to that. I liked the involvement of Deadman and Dodds Sandman but otherwise it seemed pretty pointless.

Speaking of events, Gotham War started this week. It seems a lot less disruptive as it only involves Catwoman and Batman, and the premise is kind of amusing - Catwoman is scooping up all the hired goons and teaching them to be proper burglars which has reduced the violent crime in Gotham because they aren't working for the more antisocial supervillains. Batman has just woken up from a coma and is very angry about this. It seems kind of like a Venture Bros plot and that's very much my jam.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
At first it didn't seem to quote make sense with everything insofar as Bruce being so dogmatically anti crime, but Zur En Arr peaking his head out started making that make sense. Also he was cranky from his 8 week nap.

I guess there's also an overarching narrative of him having to deal with things not being under his control or influence and not having the power to effectively deal with them. His mind, then his body, now his city.

Knight Terrors was definitely a bit of a wet fart whose only redeeming features were some stand alone stories that allowed the writers to have a bit of fun. There's an interesting discussion with the Harley Quinn one where it's directly confronting her rise to the spotlight without directly engaging with the fourth wall where, in character, the idea of becoming an A-lister and Important is terrifying and she doesn't want a thing to do with it.

Action Comics i guess is starting its own side event and also someone else is taking up the mantle of Bloodwynd, but also DC's take on Spawn (again?). Guess that pre-Rebirth character from the Doomed arc has been memory holed.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i think Knight Terrors was fine, but they should have had it just be a one month event around October and not immediately after some big books like shazam and titans launch. i don't think it's a bad idea in general to give books a one month break, you can let readers try different titles, give new writers and artists a shot, and highlight some underused characters but there's got to be a better way to do that than with that they did here

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

All I wanted from DC for the last two months is Green Lantern issue 3!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I wonder if sometimes line-wide pauses for special events (like Knight Terrors) are driven by concerns about schedule slippage in multiple main books.If you are several of your books are starting to run late (script delays, art delays, editorial turmoil, etc.) I can see simply declaring a one or two month jubilee of guest writers and artists to give your regular books a chance to catch up. Beats fill-in/inventory stories, or running late, I guess.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

All I wanted from DC for the last two months is Green Lantern issue 3!

Their best books are being delayed or skipped. It sucks!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Xelkelvos posted:

City Boy needs to link up with Jack Hawksmoor already

didn't he first appear in a Jack Hawksmoor story in the Wildstorm 30th Anniversary one-shot last year?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Superboy #5: Time for me to nut up or shut up.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

New Birds of Prey is incredibly cool, I'm digging this first issue a lot.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It is good, Big Barda and Cass are the friends I didn't know I needed in my life. I'm sure some people will be very mixed on Harley, though.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

impressed at how quickly zdarsky has gotten everyone to turn on his batman run, must be taking some tips from wells

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

This crossover is real bad, and it amazes me that someone could look at the universally positive reaction to Wayne Family Adventures and say "You know what readers are hungry for? Bruce pushing away the batfamily and everyone fighting!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I haven't read it, but how does someone go from a well liked Daredevil run to a hated Batman run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm still finding Gotham war amusing because of how ridiculous everyone's behaviour is. At least Batman has multiple recent traumas and a coma to blame, but the others are all acting nutty too. Who'd have guessed the villains might take issue with Catwoman stealing their goons and escalate things?