Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

it's in the brown ocean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

goatface posted:

Pah, barely a storm at all.

This, though power may be out for a day or so more lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

zedprime posted:

"already" is maybe not the qualifier I'd use for a cat 1 storm that is 120 miles inland and hasnt sucked on the teat of the ocean for 8 hours.

I don't know much about hurricanes, but in my opinion, going from a Cat 3 to Cat 1 in 8 hours seems pretty fast.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't know much about hurricanes, but in my opinion, going from a Cat 3 to Cat 1 in 8 hours seems pretty fast.

They tend to devolve quickly once they're on land. They need that nice, warm water to stay strong.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Wahts the deal with Florida? Why is it so fail?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ehud posted:

They tend to devolve quickly once they're on land. They need that nice, warm water to stay strong.

Boy, I bet a hurricane could stay indefinitely over WASHINGTON DC WITH ALL OF THAT HOT AIR EH?

eh?

:dadjoke:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Chinatown posted:

watch out. mods are handing out probes for posts like these

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1696973603458195719?s=20

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hurricanes fall apart very fast over land, 8 hours is not at all unusual to drop several categories. extreme damage from major hurricane winds, like buildings being ripped apart, is always limited to the the coasts.

inland damage is generally just flooding from heavy rain and tree limbs falling on things and knocking out power

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Those storm surges are scary as poo poo.

I just ran to the gas station and was listening to NPR and they were interviewing a former NOAA guy in Florida I think and the interviewer asked about scientific definitions and such and he was just like.... "you will drown or be crushed to death. The water will sweep you away or pin you up against your house with a truck until you die" or other scary rear end poo poo because he was trying to make a point that he'd wish people would panic MORE. (that was a run-on-sentence, sorry)

They also had a recording of a guy who ignored a voluntary evacuation order and he literally said "I watch the tides. I do my own research."

:lol:

:smith:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

They also had a recording of a guy who ignored a voluntary evacuation order and he literally said "I watch the tides. I do my own research."

"I watch the tides. I do my own research."

https://twitter.com/policyscoop/status/1696852299296182637?s=20

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chinatown posted:

All the people who don't believe in climate change decided to move to the most climate change-susceptible place on the planet. As a joke.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A guidepost that has served me well in life is to always be a kinesiology problem and to never be a particle flow problem

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I don't know much about hurricanes

We know

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
To be fair "oh it's already a cat 1 after dragging it's rear end over half of the Florida Georgia line?" is probably the measured approach in the coming era of global warming armed hurricanes being ridden by General Sherman's ghost while it does donuts for 2 weeks in old Dixie.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://www.miamiherald.com/miami-com/miami-com-news/article278774394.html

Jim Cantore is stuck in Cedar Key

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

zedprime posted:

To be fair "oh it's already a cat 1 after dragging it's rear end over half of the Florida Georgia line?" is probably the measured approach in the coming era of global warming armed hurricanes being ridden by General Sherman's ghost while it does donuts for 2 weeks in old Dixie.

I didn't realize it was so far inland already so you guys can go ahead and stop being assholes. :)

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
u 1st

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I never was though to begin with?

You just made it on my rear end in a top hat list now PAL!

I demand SINCERE apologies from all of you~!~!!!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Huge L for not dragging an inflatable canoe up to the fourth story

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I hate these sensationalist click bait articles about wildlife after a storm. This is the natural state of a Jim Cantore. It's in it's element and loving it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bicyclists gotta ruin it for everybody else.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
dont worry, that bike wont be usable in a week

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Idalia may pull an Ivan and come back to thrash Florida again.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

nah, models aren’t showing that anymore. it was really only one of them showing those solutions for a little while, not something there was even temporary consensus on between multiple models

peak season runs for another month though and strong storms are possible all the way to november, so FL still has plenty of time to receive more divine punishment

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
All them people going out in the storm to own the libs.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Here's what happened:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Here's what happened:

:stare:

Is.... is that accurate?

Why would anyone live there? Holy dear god in heaven.....

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

Is.... is that accurate?

I think at least the audio is authentic. Turn on the sound

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
that was the projected 1-in-10 worst case scenario before the storm hit

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I think at least the audio is authentic. Turn on the sound

I heard the sound, which was of course hilarious, but I mean.... gently caress.... people are there.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Is.... is that accurate?

most of the "land" you see in southern Louisiana, the west coast of Florida, and much of eastern North Carolina isn't really "land" in the way most people think of it. More of a supersaturated mud with grass and maybe pine trees that inundates when a chipmunk takes a leak

Bathroom Surprise
Feb 15, 2005

I heard the sound, which was of course hilarious, but I mean.... gently caress.... people are there.

Well, they were there

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yeah, a big chunk of that image is just labeled as a wildlife refuge. probably all coastal marshland. there are a few hundred people who live in cedar key though.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

We can only hope they are as high as you are!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

We can only hope they are as high as you are!

Me too! (drunk also)

I had no idea where that was due to not being able to read any of the blurry names.

So hey. Good I guess.

I thought death wishing was frowned upon in this thread.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

One of the craziest vids from Idalia was right outside Charleston. A tornado formed right next to the highway.

https://twitter.com/accuweather/status/1696993090714914957?s=20

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Idalia posted:

gently caress all of you, but you specifically

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We're just chilling with the Weather Channel on in the office and Jin Cantore was walking around whatever Florida town he's in and found a Twister Blu-Ray in the street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cthulu Carl posted:

We're just chilling with the Weather Channel on in the office and Jin Cantore was walking around whatever Florida town he's in and found a Twister Blu-Ray in the street

:haw:

Ehud posted:

One of the craziest vids from Idalia was right outside Charleston. A tornado formed right next to the highway.

https://twitter.com/accuweather/status/1696993090714914957?s=20