Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

What irks me the most, having looked through the ancient era techs, is the quotes that reference things in the game outside that tech. Like one of the Animal Husbandry quotes references dogs (which are unlocked from the start, not from animal husbandry, in the form of scouts), and one of the Mining quotes references coal. Come on, man, how lazy are you???

And then there are also the quotes that simply have nothing to do with the tech in question but use the word, like the Shakespeare quote on Masonry, which is about destruction, or the Aeschylus quote on Bronze Working, which is about drunkenness.

They really phoned in their research. They should have taken their cue from the earlier games, where the quotes were so much better. Look at these losers:

The Wheel: "Put your shoulder to the wheel." - Aesop

Metal Casting: "And them that take the sword shall perish by the sword." - The Bible, Matthew

Currency: "Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it." - Publius Syrus

Compass: "The wisest men follow their own direction." - Euripides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I get so pissed off when the AI captures and razes a city state I was allied with. I lose the benefits (Auckland was super valuable on this map you fucker) and I dont even get a Causus Belli to liberate it because its gone

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It was shown, demonstrated that the civ5 tech icons at release where lifted from google before being hastily patched out. Civ6's tech quotes being lazy google's is very much a mundane consensus.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

It was shown, demonstrated that the civ5 tech icons at release where lifted from google before being hastily patched out. Civ6's tech quotes being lazy google's is very much a mundane consensus.

Aren't the Civ5 resource icons (still) from google too?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Serephina posted:

VI's quotes were beyond lazy. I can't believe that the first Google search about Kilimanjaro was complaining about wifi.

Quote team lives in some alternate universe.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The biggest downgrade (which is saying something) on quotes between 5 and 6 is Chitzen Itza

https://youtu.be/h-Ha2LHxiIA?si=pd2jw7Qf886hnQaf

Vs

https://youtube.com/shorts/nQHDSvROXao?si=2LVDKmyNvdAdtSMm

Five quotes from the Chilam Balam, precious hand written books from 16th century Yucatán, while the 6 quote is from - I poo poo you not - some random dudes travel blog

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It actually reminds me a bit of the Crusader Kings series' trajectory; every iteration gets more and more meme-y, or whatever.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

LonsomeSon posted:

Fortunately for Civ VII they can instead just have text AIs make up people and quotes for them about the topics

ChatGPT, write an inspiring quote about the discovery of writing, and attribute it to a made-up ancient person

quote:

As the sun painted stories across the sky, I captured its essence in symbols on parchment, gifting eternity to fleeting thoughts. Inscribe my name as Lyria, the Dreamweaver of Words—an ancient soul who wove humanity's whispers into the tapestry of time.

Not bad, not bad.

Anyway, this might sound weird but I kinda want a game-mode where you let the AIs compete with each other in a world for a while, and then you step in (in say the renaissance) and take over one of the middling AIs and see if you can win with whatever bullshit empire they've managed to make for themself.

A kind of Civ-rescue game mode.

Does anyone know if such a thing is possible somehow?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Microplastics posted:

Anyway, this might sound weird but I kinda want a game-mode where you let the AIs compete with each other in a world for a while, and then you step in (in say the renaissance) and take over one of the middling AIs and see if you can win with whatever bullshit empire they've managed to make for themself.

A kind of Civ-rescue game mode.

Does anyone know if such a thing is possible somehow?

ooo great idea, like you can do in paradox games? or I guess Rhyse and Fall for Civ 4, which I refuse to play to this day because of its very bad name

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Don't forget about that one Cartography quote that came from a joke blog that takes famous quotes and alters them to be about cartography.

And also that all the tech quotes that were added in Gathering Storm are like entire paragraphs of bible verses or greek philosophers, because that's the opposite of being lazy and grabbing the first google result, yeah?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

homullus posted:

They really phoned in their research. They should have taken their cue from the earlier games, where the quotes were so much better. Look at these losers:

The Wheel: "Put your shoulder to the wheel." - Aesop

Metal Casting: "And them that take the sword shall perish by the sword." - The Bible, Matthew

Currency: "Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it." - Publius Syrus

Compass: "The wisest men follow their own direction." - Euripides

Haven't played IV in a decade, but I can hear these perfectly.

Serephina posted:

And they were painted in an art deco style that was probably quite beautiful when displayed at three feet across on the artist's monitor, but looked like brown slodge when shrunk down to- you know- icon size.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Haven't played IV in a decade, but I can hear these perfectly.

Same, of course, but they're all examples of quotes from IV that aren't actually about the tech, aren't contemporaneous with the tech, or both.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The resource icons don't bother me so much - I mean it's a bunch of bananas, the picture just has to be clean and legible, I feel like tracing the first google result for "bananas" is a reasonable way to do it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's astounding how much gravitas Nimoy was able to give to the quotes.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Nimoy really wanted that horse.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Civilization VI : I mean it's a bunch of bananas

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think the thing which made SMAC's quotes so good was the unifying theme, pretty much every historical quote was from a philosopher, and a significant chunk of the quotes read by the faction leaders were them laying out their ideologies, which contributed to making the quotes all feel like part of a cohesive work about philosophy and ideology. I don't think any of the other games' quotes really captured that feeling of being about something. I think for future games, rather than just pulling in quotes from all over the place, they should try to slim down the sources so that they draw from fewer people to give the game a more coherent voice. Obviously that won't be possible for every tech, but that wasn't so in SMAC either. But find a writer or three who've written poetically or profoundly on the history of human development and mine them for the quotes. Or hell, just hire a good writer and make some up!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

John F Bennett posted:

Civilization VI : I mean it's a bunch of bananas

It's a bunch of bananas, Michael, how much graphics could it be? 10 megapixels?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Reveilled posted:

But find a writer or three who've written poetically or profoundly on the history of human development and mine them for the quotes.

Every tech quote is a dril tweet

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Microplastics posted:

Every tech quote is a dril tweet

no

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

i was considering photoshopping this into the quote about social media only to find that someone has already made a mod that does a dril tweet for every tech & civic

Steam Workshop: Drililization - @dril Tech & Civic Quotes
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2852210435

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

tweet quotes would only be appropriate if you played as Germany with a modded in leader.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Microplastics posted:

i was considering photoshopping this into the quote about social media only to find that someone has already made a mod that does a dril tweet for every tech & civic

someone should bribe potato mcwhiskey to use his sean bean voice to read all of these out so i can play civ VI at max power

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Leader pass just dropped for console apparently :peanut:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Reveilled posted:

I think the thing which made SMAC's quotes so good was the unifying theme, pretty much every historical quote was from a philosopher, and a significant chunk of the quotes read by the faction leaders were them laying out their ideologies, which contributed to making the quotes all feel like part of a cohesive work about philosophy and ideology. I don't think any of the other games' quotes really captured that feeling of being about something. I think for future games, rather than just pulling in quotes from all over the place, they should try to slim down the sources so that they draw from fewer people to give the game a more coherent voice. Obviously that won't be possible for every tech, but that wasn't so in SMAC either. But find a writer or three who've written poetically or profoundly on the history of human development and mine them for the quotes. Or hell, just hire a good writer and make some up!

I would probably pay actual dollars for an app that just gives me the text and audio of SMAC quotes. For Civ VII quotes, they could assign them to the governors, focusing the efforts of writers onto a handful of personae, and freeing the game from the tyranny of the search engine.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

fridge corn posted:

A couple of the new leaders got buffs to their abilities too. Julius Caesar sounds kinda hilariously busted now tbh.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Reveilled posted:

smac will always be the goat 4x game on every level. nothing can ever top it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Super Jay Mann posted:

A couple of the new leaders got buffs to their abilities too. Julius Caesar sounds kinda hilariously busted now tbh.

Surely a coincidence, considering he's the one you get with the 2K account link... They did also finally add victory achievements for the pass leaders though.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

They still feel like advisors, not governors, the governors.

Am I wrong in picking Magnus for settler spam, or the Penguin if there's a lack of room? I don't see much use in the other non-Amani people, except for Grandma +1 Builder Charge.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nah, those are the big ones. Though I'm also a fan of Liang's improvements; fisheries to spruce up coastal cities, and parks for any tiles with appeal-based bonuses.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

In your capital city it's pretty much always Magnus or Pingala. Really it should almost always be Pingala, Magnus is better off being shuffled around to newer, up-and-coming cities for instant and swift deforestation.

Liang is a must in your best coastal city, those fisheries are strong and even aside from that having a place to pump out +1 builders is immensely valuable always. And of course Amani's +2 envoys are almost always worth the title.

The rest are more situational, though don't forget that buying districts with gold or faith is very efficient and well worth it if you get enough titles to manage it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

fridge corn posted:

Not for linux! *continues beating this dead horse*

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011

Serephina posted:

Not for linux! *continues beating this dead horse*

I think you can run the windows version via proton and get access to the updates that way (some fiddling is involved, I recommend consulting the protondb page).

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Kanfy posted:

They did also finally add victory achievements for the pass leaders though.
Oh loving FINALLY. It's weird but I need those to motivate me to do most playthroughs.

Microplastics posted:

...this will also make me motivated to do playthroughs. Do mods remove achievements in this game?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Albino Squirrel posted:

Do mods remove achievements in this game?

nope!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There should be an achievement for installing a mod that makes an achievement a freebie.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Sweet tip for getting any map type or difficulty achievement, set up a one turn game with score victory on and start as Rome. (Obviously you'll need to settle turn 1)

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Sweet tip for getting any map type or difficulty achievement, set up a one turn game with score victory on and start as Rome. (Obviously you'll need to settle turn 1)

Doesn't this also work really well with Russia?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Surely such a trick cheapens the satisfaction of getting the achievement, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Some people see achievements as a checklist that encourages them to try playing the game in new ways. Some people see them as a badge that says "I'm a better fan of this game than you are."