Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Know what's wild? I'm leaving for a 3 day tomorrow then I'm done with short call commuting already. September is long call and October I transfer to my home base. drat I got lucky, I even got the trip I asked for so I'm not sitting at the JFK Hilton for 5 days on my own coin again.

Anyways, I'm actually posting to talk about food. At the end of my first month on the road I'm realizing how much money I'm spending on grub, especially now that a DoorDash fast food meal is guaranteed to be at least 25 bucks and restaurants aren't cheaper. I pack snacks that help but I'm thinking about getting a crew travel cooler to throw a couple meal prep meals in. I know flight attendants that do this but I was wondering if any of you goons do the same.

I hate meal prepping and do a lot of meal shakes. Even cheaper than prepping in most cases, I like Soylent powder but any will work really,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I typically bring peanut butter and jelly and fresh fruit for the work day and will occasionally bring things like chicken and rice or whatever but often just eat at the hotel. If the restaurant will be closed by the time I get there I’ll eat at the airport typically.

Once I stop commuting I plan to bring more food. Three bag commuting is a bitch.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Get a hot logic. Game changer for me and the one nice perk about the drat 737 is that there is a 110 outlet on my side so I can plug it in. Other people bring battery packs with a 110 outlet in them so that works too. Nothing like eating a hot meal while in cruise.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Why not just use the chiller and oven on the plane. :smuggo:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Unless the guy from morbach is doing all your catering now you can keep catering lolololol

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I used this cooler and this set of reusable ice packs when I was at the Regionals and it all worked pretty well. Then I got tired of three-bagging.

Arson Daily posted:

Get a hot logic. Game changer for me and the one nice perk about the drat 737 is that there is a 110 outlet on my side so I can plug it in. Other people bring battery packs with a 110 outlet in them so that works too. Nothing like eating a hot meal while in cruise.
Just defer the APU and all meals are hot!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Arson Daily posted:

Found a great new use for our new battery (bricks) pack!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

luminalflux posted:

I can’t hear either over the tinnitus of being in the back most row of AA mad dogs and 727s during my childhood. So many NRSA standby flights in the back thanks to my grandfathers benefits

Who was running 727s when you were growing up? I might have just missed them, but I always associated them with the US domestic market than Europe.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Groda posted:

Who was running 727s when you were growing up? I might have just missed them, but I always associated them with the US domestic market than Europe.

American Airlines like I said (I grew up in the US). Also flew on a Mexicana 727 as a kiddo.

edit: Holy poo poo AA was running them up until 2002

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
It took a major terrorist attack to ground the mighty 727 from US airlines. A lot of flight engineers lost their jobs after 9/11.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Was there any appreciable amount of Flight Engineers becoming pilots after that?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks for the meal prep chat! I’m gonna get a cooler.

Finished my first sequence since finishing OE. 3 days, 3-2-3 flying legs with 2 deadhead legs and a commute on both sides.

The other pilot was an absolute DUDE. He was also a bit of a nerd so he may be one of you. Hung out every night, ate food, walked around town. I’m wiped out but I had a great time. The fact that I’m gonna be doing this to and from my home city in just a month is exciting.

Been 13 years and I still like this poo poo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

luminalflux posted:

American Airlines like I said (I grew up in the US). Also flew on a Mexicana 727 as a kiddo.

Delta ran them until 2003:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npuTH5w2VfY

I flew a r/t on 727s on one of the Pan Am reboots in 2005.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
You can still fly on a 727 if you want to pay $8000 per ticket. The 727 is used by Zero-G corporation, partly because it had systems in common with NASA’s ‘vomit comet’, making conversion simpler, and, because the rear stairway made it perfect for operating out of FBOs

https://youtu.be/M67YP-f-LyI

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Also if you wanna fly-fly it, the on-demand cargo outfits at YIP are always hiring

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
The last 727 I saw was transporting Thoroughbreds.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

luminalflux posted:

Ah, I didn't know you lived there. Yeah, American Airlines in the 90's was a bit of a museum experience in the Midwest.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Not sure how many glider pilots are here but I’ve really been enjoying it this summer.

Started this summer by getting checked out for back seat flying in a 2-33 and then started training for the clubs single gliders. Flying the different two seaters was great for getting a feel for the subtle differences between these aircraft.

Despite a few delays due to weather, work, vacations, and maintenance I was finally able to get the checkout done in the 1-34. This Monday I managed to pull off a 3:04 flight from a 2000 foot aerotow. I delayed my first launch to help get a student pilot finished and the timing was perfect to have a nice long flight. None of the thermals were incredibly strong but they were easy to find and took me up to the cloud bases several times. Just about fell on my face when I got out of the plane at the end. Lesson learned bring a bit of water.

https://i.imgur.com/fozKx1h.mp4

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

A 727 flew over my house last night at 3am, annoying my dog. It was a cargo plane according to flightaware.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
glider gang :hf:

I haven’t flown gliders in far too long, closest I’ve had in the past…poo poo nearly nearly decade now…is loving around in the sim deadsticking the 74 to land

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

e.pilot posted:

glider gang :hf:

I haven’t flown gliders in far too long, closest I’ve had in the past…poo poo nearly nearly decade now…is loving around in the sim deadsticking the 74 to land

Make some time for it.

These clubs are getting pretty thin on the ground so young people showing interest can get access to some really neat aircraft.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-daily/id1200361736?i=1000626793495

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My transfer home is going through 9 days earlier than planned. Not because I asked, not because they changed anything, but because it turns out I never learned how to read.

Tell me it doesn’t look like a 10.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/deltanewshub/status/1699420223407841751?s=46&t=TBi_iSImUmzjTxXAKsMEHw

Anyone work for widget? There has to be some amazing internal conversations going on right now!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

hobbesmaster posted:

https://twitter.com/deltanewshub/status/1699420223407841751?s=46&t=TBi_iSImUmzjTxXAKsMEHw

Anyone work for widget? There has to be some amazing internal conversations going on right now!

No, but I'm hearing the 14th is some sort of D-Day for them with regard to a major shake-up of SkyMiles bound to piss off many.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I only saw the rumor that mileage upgrade awards are going away finally, I kinda had assume that they’d been eliminated some time ago but apparently not, you just had to call and a get a customer service rep that actually knew all the arcane systems.

(Ie, you could still get upgrades through the old table and not the variable pay with miles or whatever er if you knew the tricks)

I keep seeing that United is being recommended as the “good” domestic mainline carrier now? What a world.

But anyway I was thinking more that there should be some ATL based employees that are pissed about this for a wide variety of reasons, only some of them being 28-3

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There is no good North American airline now, they all suck terribly because there is no business case for "we could make it suck less, but it would cost tens of dollars more per ticket." People would rather suffer abuse than pay for decent service, and the market reflects that.

In Canada, we have an airline called Lynx. It's a joke of a loving airline for everyone involved, and I've known lots of people on both sides of that equation -- and yet, it's growing and popular, because at the end of the day, customers are like "well, sure everyone else's flight is terribly delayed and the service is horrible... but it could work for me!" Then they swear to never fly it again, until the two-week amnesia kicks in and they go "oh boy! That's very cheap, I'll buy that fare!"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Delta’s thing was always paying slightly more for getting two biscoff cookies, somewhat less terrible customer service and not running 3-4-3 coach on the 777.

Now it’s like twice the price and worse

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Biscoff are fuckin good, though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hobbesmaster posted:

what does "working alongside employees on various strategic initiatives" even mean when it involves a football player and an airline

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Potato Salad posted:

what does "working alongside employees on various strategic initiatives" even mean when it involves a football player and an airline

"We can't find our rear end with both hands and a map, but Brady promises he'll bring a flashlight! It will surely turn things around."

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Looking forward to TB12 non revving with the rest of us.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Great, now all their tires are gonna be underinflated.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

where are some good places to learn about commercial aviation? I finally found a solution for my fear of flying (ativan + beta blocker) and I need a new hobby. I sometimes browse the flyertalk forums. suggestions for youtube channels?

vv ty

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 12, 2023

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

actionjackson posted:

where are some good places to learn about commercial aviation? I finally found a solution for my fear of flying (ativan + beta blocker) and I need a new hobby. I sometimes browse the flyertalk forums. suggestions for youtube channels?

Just a couple to get you started

Mentour Pilot
74 Gear

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I conquered my fear of flying by taking out an 88,000 dollar loan that was dependent on me getting in airplanes to ever pay it back.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

vv ty

If you want to learn about how planes "work" then find a used copy of "Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual." That gives a pretty good, broad technical overview of the modern tubeliner.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Rolo posted:

I conquered my fear of flying by taking out an 88,000 dollar loan that was dependent on me getting in airplanes to ever pay it back.

I flew around in Ospreys for years. Nothing really scares me now.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

I flew around in Ospreys for years. Nothing really scares me now.

I'm not scared of flying at all, and I'd absolutely take a ride in a v22, but I'd be getting my affairs in order first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

given that Mentour pilot is mostly about near disasters or disasters maybe it's not the best for me :)

craziest flying seems to be those hurricane planes that the military uses