Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You will still be able to buy lots of fun gas cars on the used market. I recommend it even now!

It definitely feels like, "If you can afford it get the car you really want now before they all moon" time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Check this out: I'd rather not have cars in cities at all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes ok careless cities are the best but that’s even a bigger cultural change than EV

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Cities are for people, not for cars. There's been a shift towards bikes over here, my home town has been putting in enormous cycle lanes with bike priority on some major routes into town. None of these are just painted lanes either, they've torn the roads up and narrowed them, stopping cars parking along them. It's all annoying the poo poo out of drivers and it's funny to me. Last time I drove in it took me forever to get anywhere, drivers sat raging while cyclists just tootled past. People are incredibly stupid so I think it will take them a while to realise cars suck poo poo in cities and to use alternative transportation.

There's talk of a very light rail system going in too which would be rad. gently caress the roads off for cars, run buses, trams and trains regularly and let me read a book on my way into town.

I know not every city can be Tokyo but goddamn is it a fantastic, fantastic thing to slide right across the center of a massive metropolitan on some trains in 30~ minutes and just walk to my buddy's house and go "sup?" without having to have the responsibility of an entire car. I spent a few dollars and walked a bit and it ruled. Walk out the door and just go wherever, cheaply. No parking, no insurance, no worrying about anyone else running into it.

I really, really like cars and have had plenty, was a dealer and all that jazz. They are goddamned awful though.

euphronius posted:

Yes ok careless cities are the best but that’s even a bigger cultural change than EV

I think we're talking about how the culture isn't going to matter if people can't afford to drive.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Ah yes, because light rail wasn't a thing and gm/Firestone certainly didn't alter the "culture" singlehandedly by stripping said rail out.
Cars are a barely 100 year old idea, compared to our idea of a city that's nothing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This looks like poo poo. How expensive is it?

Seats look nice in fabric and the panoramic roof is nice but the lines and details on the outside aren't very coherent. What's annoying is with some tweaks it could be a good looking car but they let a maniac who doesn't understand flowing features at it. It's telling that it looks better with the chrome bits blacked out.

https://twitter.com/albano57/status/1694145075842896229?t=5hCSUQ6_Yp65zSP6y5rdgw&s=19

C'mon guys and gals, you are slipping. How the hell have none of you compared that to a 6000 SUX?

Majorily disappointed here ya'll

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 25, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

C'mon guys and gals, you are slipping. How the hell have none of you compared that to a 6000 SUX?

Looks like an '86 Dodge Daytona with a bad body kit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

euphronius posted:

Yeah, we've built a LOT of car-centric infrastructure in the last 120 years, but we've been living in cities for thousands. Cities can return to being car-free, and they will when there's enough reasons to. Looking at things from a longer timescale I think the mass adoption of personal automobiles is going to end up as the anomaly. They're an astonishingly wasteful use of resources and the fact that they were ever as cheap and plentiful as they were in the late 20th century is mind boggling. We're currently at roughly 1 car for every 5.3 people on earth and I don't think we'll ever be able to support a lower ratio than that, regardless of power source. In 2100 when we're expected to level off around 10 billion people, it would be astonishing to think that there will be 2 billion cars running.

The transition to electric is absolutely going to result in homogenization over the short term as conglomerates try to concentrate the R&D costs into the platforms that will sell the most. We probably won't see a lot of new ideas until these shared platforms go into their second or third full production cycle, and they can see where the opportunities are to innovate. I predict that cheaper, more fun electrics will be developed when the big companies are all comfortable with the idea of making cars at scale again, I just don't know when that will be. Honestly if there's to be innovation in this space in the near future it's probably going to come from China.

I say all this as I order food delivery and return to browsing car listings.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It sux alright

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Guys, guys, call me crazy, but hear me out:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Hadlock posted:

Guys, guys, call me crazy, but hear me out:

You are out of your goddamned mind

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Citroen made one closer to the Cadillac thing though: the XM

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I thought this was the SM at first

Hadlock in AI: How can I make this about Citroen :thunk:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Here’s the new presidential limo, while it was undergoing testing a few years ago, parked between two Yukons. It’s a big vehicle.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I believe the beast shares very little if any body sheet metal with public models right? Or I wonder if it’s a big ol reinforced frame.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Inner Light posted:

I believe the beast shares very little if any body sheet metal with public models right? Or I wonder if it’s a big ol reinforced frame.

From what i've read it's a custom body over a TopKick truck chassis.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Mr. Apollo posted:

Here’s the new presidential limo, while it was undergoing testing a few years ago, parked between two Yukons. It’s a big vehicle.

Large Barge.

I don't like the color choice on that Cadillac SUX, but I honestly like the weird styling.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

SlowBloke posted:

From what i've read it's a custom body over a TopKick truck chassis.
Basically, yeah. It's styled to look like a "regular" Cadillac limo but doesn't actually share body panels with any production models.

I read an article a few years ago about the general design and construction process and apparently, one of the terms of the contract, is that GM is not allowed to use any construction methods or processes that are developed specifically for the presidential limo in any production models.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Collector's Edition package is live on the Camaro builder and I am at great personal and financial risk.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Manual Golf R and GTI are dead after 2024

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a44950916/2024-manual-volkswagen-gti-golf-r-dead/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Was never really a fan of the Golfs personally, but that's sad.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

This is the new alfa 33 stradale, a skinned mc20. Not feeling it, honestly it might as well be a random chinese car, it's nothing as characteristic as a 8c.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.motor1.com/news/684235/alfa-romeo-33-stradale-debut/

holy gently caress

edit; ^^ I love it :haw:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I am curious on how many customers went for the folgore(three motor electric) or the nettuno(single motor ICE) out of the 33 total sold. Inquiring car mags got silence from Stellantis.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Man this is lovely. Straight off the pages of my trapper keeper in like 1994.

That top view is loving sexy as hell.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LeeMajors posted:

Man this is lovely. Straight off the pages of my trapper keeper in like 1994.

That top view is loving sexy as hell.

yeah the top view looks real good

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
33 units and they've all been sold.

So who cares?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ilkhan posted:

So who cares?

Apparently all the angry Alfisti crew in Italy. Before Marchionne died, the alfa-maserati business unit was going to make a new premium sports car under the alfa brand, to act as halo car for the new giulia and stelvio. After he croaked, new management moved that project under Maserati and, after several years of mismanagement, it became the mc20. Alfa fans never let it go and spew vitriol in every Italian car forum about it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'd like it if it wasn't for the headlights. WAAAY too big.

ilkhan posted:

So who cares?

Also this.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Reposting this new car stuff:

holtemon posted:

From bluesky

Only the best quality down to the sub-micron level

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yikes

I like the render but, is the driver's door distorting the reflection hoizontally, and then the rear drivers door... not?

Panel gaps are oof

Will probably look a lot better in a sandblasted matte gray

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hadlock posted:

Yikes

I like the render but, is the driver's door distorting the reflection hoizontally, and then the rear drivers door... not?

Panel gaps are oof

It's going to be fun to have it sandblasted regularly to not look like poo poo.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I like the Alfa. Definitely more than the 296 gtb.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Yikes

Panel gaps are oof

I feel like they’d have to cut the panels from the same sheet at the same time to get them to look even remotely decent. Like you’d have to a whole side at a time and then hope no one looks at out from any other angles.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah based on what very little I know about this, I think the original plan was to manufacture these from the same rolls of stainless steel that starship mfg process needed. They're big ~500'+ rolls of meter wide steel, or something. My guess is cybertruck was the only way to combine manufacturing with starship to economically order the grade of steel needed

But yeah if you stamp one door in one direction and then stamp the other in a different direction you could get that result. Or forklift Jerry backed into it in the warehouse so knows

The nose cone of the latest starship are mandrel bent/formed, presumably that's the correct process but probably doesn't scale to automotive factory very well

That thing looks tragic and generally I've been dismissive about panel gaps on other teslas

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 30, 2023

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

drat so that means there is no way there is going to be a manual Golf R with actual buttons and stuff if/when they add those back. So if you want one, you're stuck with poo poo touchscreens and haptic feedback.
RIP understated homie. You will kinda sorta be missed.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Reposting this new car stuff:

Oh man I almost wish I still worked with that one Tesla diehard. I hope he has enough shares to actually buy one like he hoped lol

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

mobby_6kl posted:

Reposting this new car stuff: Cybertruck garbage

What's the go with the unbranded tyres on this heap? Did an actual tyre company agree to make bespoke tyres for this without any branding on them at all, or is this just an Alibaba special? I think the original wheels had some dumb pieces that stuck out and went into the recesses on the tyres but that doesn't seem to be the case any more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The few prototypes running with the oversized rim had custom goodyear rubber, bespoke with holes to fit the rim oversized spokes.