Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
What exactly is and does ergo do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

What exactly is and does ergo do?
Amount of time it takes to ADS your gun. The higher the ergo the faster you pull up your gun.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Higher ergo also makes your arm stamina drain slower so you can aim down sights for longer before the gun gets wobbly.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Thanks, very useful info! Anything else along those lines I should know?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

basically the catch all stat for anything that would make sense would be affected by how unwieldy a gun may be holding it in real life, turn and run speed, arm/breath strength, ads and pull in/out speed

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm in the UK, we don't have firearms at all pretty much so that's off the table entirely.

Some people can have shotguns etc for hunting/sport but far as I'm aware there's no handguns or anything else for private ownership here.

Besides, I'm a naughty criminal and I'd never get a licence even if we did have them.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Thanks, very useful info! Anything else along those lines I should know?
The recoil stats are an obvious one, lower means less kick. The MOA stat is accuracy over distance, lower MOA means tighter grouping of your hits.

Oh no worries, there are also knives in the game.

giZm fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 30, 2023

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

giZm posted:

The recoil stats are an obvious one, lower means less kick. The MOA stat is accuracy over distance, lower MOA means tighter grouping of your hits.

Oh no worries, there are also knives in the game.

Touche! (Statistically it's a very small number when it comes to violent crime here though). Especially after this weekend, I live in London too funny enough.

Anyway, How do you guys all work out where your rounds going to go? I know the proxy ammo speed is very important, but is it just another "you learn by doing it" thing in Tarkov? Is there no way to adjust my scope to account for what ammo I'm using?

Or should I always be using the ammo that the gun is ranged for?

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Some ideas for those struggling in the early stages:

5.45x39mm PS is available from Prapor LL1 - 30 pen, 5 hits to kill on class 4, or 1 to the face.
AKS-74UB is available from Prapor LL1 after the task Debut - suppressed, super easy handling, takes a sight, shoots 545PS.

The best ammos in the game are available in your first raid - you can find them in ammo boxes, loose cartridge boxes, scav guns/pockets/bags, Woods and Reserve are good for them. 545 in good types can be found everywhere in vast quantities. Look for BS>BT>BP>PP.
Make your good ammo last by loading your mags with trash and throwing 5-10 good ones on top.

5.56x45mm M856A1 is available from Peacekeeper LL2 - you can get there at level 14 and $11k, no standing required. M856A1 has 37 pen, 3 hits to kill on class 4.
The G36C is then also available for a similar price to the AKS-74UB, albeit without a suppressor. The monster suppressor is cheap from the market once you get to level 15.

Rogues on Lighthouse spawn every raid in various places in the water treatment plant - watch a video on how to kill them and try that, they carry good weapons, ammo and armour. Run a few raids with a big bag and gun, put on their kit as you go. Use those kits to get your other jobs done. When you lose them all, go back to Lighthouse for a supply run. Go at night time because they have lesser detection range and are easier to deal with.

@Ragnar, the bullets go where you point the gun barrel. I know that sounds simple but you really don't need to dive that deeply into it to hit 99% of targets.
Your barrel sways when you aim down sights. If you hold breath as well then it will steady much more and make it easier to understand where your sight and barrel are actually pointed. Moving will break your steady.
Your barrel sways when you move - strafe left the barrel sways right and visa versa. You can learn to counter this, but it takes a lot of practice.
For these reasons it is good to start out shooting from stationary covered positions. If the target is very close then you should point shoot (ie: without ADS) and move into cover.
Many fast bullets (eg: 545, 762, 556) have negligible drop and the 50m zero on most sights will also equate to where the bullet hits at 250m. They fly quite flat up to that range so just point at the head, click on the head.
For ranges beyond this you will need to start learning where the bullets land and either use a holdover (mildots) or zero for range. Zeroing only works most accurately with the default ammo for the weapon which can be found on the wiki. That said, bad ammos are bad, so learn the trajectory of the good ones. Once you are shooting at 250m and beyond MOA becomes a factor and you need to select an accurate weapon (lower MOA, <1 is ok).

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

giZm posted:

Amount of time it takes to ADS your gun. The higher the ergo the faster you pull up your gun.

Rahu posted:

Higher ergo also makes your arm stamina drain slower so you can aim down sights for longer before the gun gets wobbly.

Ergo also controls how quickly your aim centers after ADSing. Above 50 ergo means your crosshair comes up centered. Dropping below 50 causes the crosshair to swing to the left before re-centering and settling. 50-25ish the problem gets "worse" but below 25 it doesn't change much.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Slim Mat posted:

Cool words

Thanks for the early game brain dump!

I struggle with a good keybind setup for ADS, holding breath, leaning, changing scopes. What kind of setups do you use to make those things easy?

Also, I've been trying to max out scav rep by doing car extracts. Power stations seems to never be available. It's not red on the extract list and I hung out in the area for nearly the whole raid. I've tried 4 or 5 times and it's never there.

TJChap2840 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 30, 2023

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm finding that I can't hit poo poo, esp at range.

Bolt actions like the Mosin or Vepr are just me getting murdered, even by scavs because I can't hit poo poo. It's so frustrating..

I literally just got off woods where I died, to a scav, because I was walking towards me and I missed all 4 shots, it ignored me till it an out of ammo then murdered me, just to add insult.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TJChap2840 posted:

Thanks for the early game brain dump!

I struggle with a good keybind setup for ADS, holding breath, leaning, changing scopes. What kind of setups do you use to make those things easy?

Consider moving "hold breath" off of alt, or changing the scope switching hotkeys to not include alt. Kinda sucks to realize you burned your arm stamina faster by switching zoom on your scope and beginning to hold your breath with the same command.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Arrath posted:

Consider moving "hold breath" off of alt, or changing the scope switching hotkeys to not include alt. Kinda sucks to realize you burned your arm stamina faster by switching zoom on your scope and beginning to hold your breath with the same command.

I like putting hold breath on the right mouse release action. One right click gets you aiming steady, hold the button down to aim without breathing. I also have it on left control so I can toggle it off and back on if I'm looking down a scope for a long time (like when sniping).

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Heh, this time I died trying to patch myself up after killing a scav.

The game crashing when I try to play scav on streets doesn't seem to be going either..

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Did a scav run.

Checked out my starting inventory.

40k rubles and two keys, one which sells for 70k on the flea and another that sells for 550k.

Fastest evacuation ever.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arrath posted:

I remapped the stupid useless "sniper DPS" thumb button on my mouse to the F13 key, and bound toggle hold breath to that. Surprisingly enough, Unity supports F13-F15 for key mapping, so now I can toggle hold breath with my mouse hand.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
If we are talking keybinds, the one that I feel makes a real difference is putting the drop item bind somewhere easily accessible, I personally use a thumb button on the mouse. Then get used to using whatever you picked.

- Once it is second nature, you can strip all the attachments off your buddy's gun and drop it all onto the ground when insurance frauding in under a second.
- Pulling something manually onto your inventory onto a populated spot? Start dragging and then hit the key to drop what's already there and move it in one smooth, fast motion.
- When you are looting a body, you tend to be super vulnerable, so using the drop bind to speed up hoovering all the loot minimizes your time doing it and that ends up meaning you tend to live longer.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Does anyone actually use the “step out” or blind fire binds? They’re kind of cool ideas but I always unbind them because I end up doing them when I don’t want to.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
step out is extremely good because it is silent and blind fire gets used because it lets you unads silently

also cuz it looks badass

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
It's completely ineffective, but dumping mags down corridors by blind firing around corners is good fun.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It's completely ineffective, but dumping mags down corridors by blind firing around corners is good fun.

This drum holds 95 rounds and by god I'm gonna use em.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

not ineffective because if you blind fire around a corner people see your flashlight and think you are peaking and will fire half their mag at your flashlight

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
This is gonna sound stupid as gently caress, but I just got a new chair, it was a birthday gift, my partner decided because my back is hosed I shouldn't be playing on an old dining chair and she got my a Herman Miller...

I've not had a bad game since. I dunno if it's the change in posture making me see more/pay attention more etc but something's changed.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
yo somebody auth me in Discord cuz I fuckin left the server accidentally

this isn't even the first time this has happened i think

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I thought the Auth was broken?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

This is gonna sound stupid as gently caress, but I just got a new chair, it was a birthday gift, my partner decided because my back is hosed I shouldn't be playing on an old dining chair and she got my a Herman Miller...

I've not had a bad game since. I dunno if it's the change in posture making me see more/pay attention more etc but something's changed.
It's not stupid and also not that surprising if you were on a dining chair prior to that. Constantly straining your muscles just to sit fucks hard with your input, especially aiming. A good chair stops you from fighting your own body constantly, you'll end up way less exhausted and tired after a gaming session, too.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm dumb and bad at this game and it's great. Just had a Factory scav run that spawned with a Vepr Hunter with a suppressor as long as the rifle itself and that stupid 3x8 vertical backpack. Shot the poo poo with some pscavs looting the place until we got jumpscared by a PMC hiding in a corner and all panic sprayed into him. I don't know what I'm going to do with this gun but it's so awful I love it

I should play with goons in the discord so I can get good at this game but I have stupid anxiety and can never convince myself to join the call when people are playing :rip:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
dont sweat it and just join the dang channel. 90% of playing with people in this game is being prepared to narrate yourself doing things to prevent teamkilling 'this is me running into the building' 'that's me on the stairs to 3rd floor' etc. no one gonna gatekeep you for not being incredible at the game

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

I'm dumb and bad at this game and it's great. Just had a Factory scav run that spawned with a Vepr Hunter with a suppressor as long as the rifle itself and that stupid 3x8 vertical backpack. Shot the poo poo with some pscavs looting the place until we got jumpscared by a PMC hiding in a corner and all panic sprayed into him. I don't know what I'm going to do with this gun but it's so awful I love it

I should play with goons in the discord so I can get good at this game but I have stupid anxiety and can never convince myself to join the call when people are playing :rip:

If you can VOIP with the scav gang you can VOIP with goons.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

giZm posted:

If you can VOIP with the scav gang you can VOIP with goons.

That's fair, I just feel awkward because there's no pings in the discord looking for more people or anything like that. Tomorrow I'll nut up and join in for some raids -- I reaaaally need to level up and get flea unlocked, pretty much fresh in this wipe at level 7 and I need a source of cheap Elcans so I can do ranged poo poo on cheap garbage guns

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
vpo + pilad 4x32 + FMJ. all available from lvl 1 traders, dirt cheap and always comes back.

and get in the discord have funs

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
My keybind protip - my G502's scrollwheel has a left and right tilt, i assigend them to be [ and ] in the Logitech software, and then made those keys my change scope zoom/optic in tarkov's keybinds (the wheel tilt doesnt register in the game otherwise) and my life is much improved.
I also turn off the blindfire keybinds as i only ever trigger them accidentally and have never used them otherwise.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Apparently the blind fire keybinds are good to stop ADS without making a sound, I've no idea how useful that would actually be though as I've still not even managed the art of peeking yet.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

anything that reduces or eliminates noise you make is a godsend because you primarily see the world with your ears

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
There needs to be no cool down if you get killed by a rogue player scav when you're scaving or at least a cut in time.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

MonkeyLibFront posted:

There needs to be no cool down if you get killed by a rogue player scav when you're scaving or at least a cut in time.

Lmao

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Do you guys always run the same kits/guns? So you get a feel for them etc? I've been using anything and everything I've found while doing scav runs but I'm starting to think maybe sticking with one particular gun and set up maybe something to consider.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Scav/found weapons is the scrappy economical play style, and is completely valid.

That said, there is absolutely merit in picking a single weapon build out and learning it well, and it will almost certainly result in more consistent and successful gunplay.

I usually do a bit of both, some raids I'll go in with a scrappy/cheap FIR setup and just try my best, other raids I'll go with a decked out rifle and the best rounds and armor I can get my hands on.

Sometimes my scrappy raids snowball into a hugely successful extract carrying dead Chad gear, and sometimes my meta'd out raids end with me getting headeyes'd 3 minutes in by an enemy I never even saw.

Ultimately it comes down to how you're doing on economy. If you're barely scraping by, keep it scrappy. If you're sitting on a hoard of unspent rubles, start treating yourself a little.

In the long run spending the money and having a good kit will result in more successful raids, but if your game sense and map knowledge isn't great then better gear isn't going to make the difference between life and death, and you'll just die poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Do you guys always run the same kits/guns? So you get a feel for them etc? I've been using anything and everything I've found while doing scav runs but I'm starting to think maybe sticking with one particular gun and set up maybe something to consider.

I haven't played for a full wipe but the one before I bought like 10 of those SAG 545 AKs because they were super cheap on flea and had ergo through the roof. It's a good head tapper with BS/PP/PS if that's your play style. The ADS even with a magnified optic was super quick after adding a foregrip and fancy ergo grip.

The new AVT looks like it's pretty OP now but I don't know what it's going for on the flea