Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Im getting a bunch of emails today saying someone is trying to reset my apple password. I then reset it myself to something almost too secure, but is there anything else I should do?

I’d set a recovery contact but the people closest to me use android. Recovery keys sound good but it seems like they aren’t recommended from my quick googling. I don’t think I’m going to use a physical security key. Am I missing anything important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Snowy posted:

Im getting a bunch of emails today saying someone is trying to reset my apple password. I then reset it myself to something almost too secure, but is there anything else I should do?

I’d set a recovery contact but the people closest to me use android. Recovery keys sound good but it seems like they aren’t recommended from my quick googling. I don’t think I’m going to use a physical security key. Am I missing anything important?

Recovery keys are acceptable if you store them in safe way(security box in a bank), otherwise a couple of nfc fido keys are sixty bucks. Recovery contact is the weakest of the three and I would suggest avoiding even if your friends had iOS..

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Circle September 12 on your calendars.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Black Apple Watch Ultra with new SoC and 64GB of flash. plz.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Weedle posted:

the galaxy z flip does look very nice, especially the two-tone ones with the black rails. i wouldn't buy one but if someone gave one to me i'd use it until it broke

That’s a goddamn Star Trek communicator.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arivia posted:

That’s a goddamn Star Trek communicator.

No, there's an actual licensed one

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

101 posted:

Yeah, I'll take that bet. It'll be 15th, 22nd

Jose Oquendo posted:

Circle September 12 on your calendars.

Goddamnit I was wrong.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Goddamnit I was wrong.

I can't think of a single Apple event that happened on a Friday. That could be when pre-orders start however.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I want my iPhone 15 already :negative:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I stopped caring about new phones when they started costing over a grand. I’m good.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

American McGay posted:

I stopped caring about new phones when they started costing over a grand. I’m good.

ok.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I can't think of a single Apple event that happened on a Friday. That could be when pre-orders start however.

To clarify: my bet was announcement Tuesday Sept 5, preorder Friday Sept 8, launch Friday Sept 15. That’s what I mean.

American McGay posted:

This is sacrilege to post in the iPhone thread !

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Verizon come through with free with trade-in yet again

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

Also when they killed the mini in your case.

Maybe one day they make another one.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I’ll buy another 13 Mini on clearance next summer hopefully. Keep it in the drawer for a rainy day.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

American McGay posted:

The price is kind of ridiculous but it’s also an entire desktop replacement for a shocking amount of people. I guess many folks are willing to shell out 1k every X years on a mobile computer (even if it is much more annoying to do work out of compared to a desktop with a nice big monitor)

That said, I’m absolutely dreading dropping $900 plus tax for a 15 Plus all in one shot. My income is much better now than when I dropped $900 on the 128gb XR in 2018, but good lord I think $900 is still my hard limit.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Interested to see what kind of trade in deals they'll have for a Pixel 7 Pro. I'll be switching to iPhone. Either an Apple or T-Mobile deal would work.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

buglord posted:

The price is kind of ridiculous but it’s also an entire desktop replacement for a shocking amount of people. I guess many folks are willing to shell out 1k every X years on a mobile computer (even if it is much more annoying to do work out of compared to a desktop with a nice big monitor)

I think this is mostly just the case because of convenience, many apps don't have a web app or desktop version so people don't see the need for a computer much anymore unless you are a gamer or producer of some kind.

With that thought means we have a large portion of people who simply don't know how to operate a computer. Schools have Chromebooks but I think even many of those are touch screen capable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Are you asking or stating ?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hoping!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Oh.

Well, quite possibly something is coming where I could see them giving everyone a discount on a new phone.

There may be a monkeys paw involved though. We shall see.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm kind of wanting to switch from Google Fi to Verizon or something.... is waiting until the 15 comes out a good idea or should I just do it now and keep the 14 Pro Max I already have?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Snowy posted:

I get this semi-regularly and I don't think there's anything you can really do about it.
Make sure your email is secure I guess?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Well, there’s another new, more expensive plan launching (note I am not saying get this plan).

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/29/23851218/verizon-myplan-5g-wireless-plan-ultimate-unlimited

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm kind of wanting to switch from Google Fi to Verizon or something.... is waiting until the 15 comes out a good idea or should I just do it now and keep the 14 Pro Max I already have?

I mostly know Verizon, but it’ll come down to whether you want the bring your own device discount or not.

You get a $15 per month discount for 3 years if you bring your own device.

No official idea what the promos for the 15 are , but it’ll likely be a $1,000 trade in. But that’ll be over 36 months , so it’s a 3 year contract.

So, comes down to what you prefer. Note, if you do the BYOD discount, you can just trade in your phone with apple directly. Apple may offer $500-600ish (I think) for a 14 pro max, which isn’t $1,000 but also it’s no contract. This is what I did last year and likely will do this year.

PM me if you need help ordering Vz specifically.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
While on this topic, I’ve been meaning to put a single post up on this, so I’ll post now.

iPhone launch is coming, and I am back helping people with Verizon. I’ve helped plenty of goons with phone stuff over the years , so here’s the general guidelines I follow for anyone who needs help
-I specifically am in sales and can call anyone nationwide. I service all 50 states. I don’t handle business accounts
-I really try not to spam, pressure , or anything like that. I don’t upsell anyone here
-I focus on clear and transparent quotes, pricing, input, etc. I do Verizon, I’m obviously gonna be a bit biased, but I try to give genuine comparisons when asked, I’m not here to white knight for a specific company
-I will help and give any advice I can whether you order from me or not.

Anyway, long story short, if you need help with Verizon, and/or need to order, PM me or come visit the VZ thread. I literally can call anyone and help order over the phone.

Verizon thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838364&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

I just bought my 13 Pro outright when I bought it- I'm wondering what kind of trade in I'll be able to get for it if I decide the 15 is worth it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I just bought my 13 Pro outright when I bought it- I'm wondering what kind of trade in I'll be able to get for it if I decide the 15 is worth it.

If you are on a qualifying plan $800, maybe $1000, if you are lucky.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I buy all my phones outright it just seems easier than trade in plans. but I usually buy the base poverty model like my beloved 13 mini

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My trade in with AT&T takes 3 years to pay out and I forfeit the rest of the money if I upgrade the phone before then lol

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I went with the upgrade program and now I have no idea how much anything costs so it’s basically free

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Someone at AT&T signed me up to the upgrade thing without me knowing, but as it’s 18 months for the cycle from what I can tell and I got my 14 Pro on launch day, it’s not exactly the best deal as I’ll be waiting 6 months from eligibility for a new handset to drop.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

My trade in with AT&T takes 3 years to pay out and I forfeit the rest of the money if I upgrade the phone before then lol

I did something similar with the 13 pro, they pay out the phone for three years then I can upgrade.

tbh the 14 didn't do much for me, and the 15 ain't looking so hot for me rn.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Skeezy posted:

I did something similar with the 13 pro, they pay out the phone for three years then I can upgrade.

tbh the 14 didn't do much for me, and the 15 ain't looking so hot for me rn.
Plus you’d probably have to get 40 new cases.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

Plus you’d probably have to get 40 new cases.

yeah lol that's the other thing.

I need to find a way to offload the cases whenever I do decide to upgrade lmfao

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Duckman helped me and I save a lot of money over AT&T and now my phone works slightly better in the woods.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah this is where I’m at. My wife and I have 12 Pro and 13 Pros and I want to make the upgrade to USB-C, but we still have payments left that both got the $1000 credits over 3 years for. Dumb.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
If the rumours about a new iPhone SE are true, it might actually be the ideal upgrade from my aging XS so long as the camera is a bit of an upgrade.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

If the rumours about a new iPhone SE are true, it might actually be the ideal upgrade from my aging XS so long as the camera is a bit of an upgrade.

What SE rumors? Those are released every few years. The current one is from Spring 2022.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jose Oquendo posted:

What SE rumors? Those are released every few years. The current one is from Spring 2022.

Moving away from the 8 based chassis to a XR(or 11) based one, along with faceid. That's the main one i've heard recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Moving away from the 8 based chassis to a XR(or 11) based one, along with faceid. That's the main one i've heard recently.

I meant more "where are you seeing these rumors." There's a few reliable sources for rumors and leaks and I've not heard anything at all about the SE.