Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Look we live in an attention economy and there's no such thing as bad publicity. Now, instead of people chatting about Starfield, they're going to focus on Sony jacking up their prices. It's full-spectrum info-domination.

Genuinely though I got on Extra a while ago, and it's alright, but I don't know if it's worth it. I'll probably cut it back to Essential once I get around to playing the DC of Tsushi Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe they should put out more games if they want attention

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I guess the other thing is that PS+ cards go on sale all the time so I assume I'll just be able to keep grabbing a cheaper sub if I keep an eye out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

JBP posted:

I guess the other thing is that PS+ cards go on sale all the time so I assume I'll just be able to keep grabbing a cheaper sub if I keep an eye out.

sure, but it's not like those aren't gonna get a proportional price bump

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Bugblatter posted:

The price hike is some strong "grab an xbox for multiplayer games" motivation. I was already considering it beforehand for a handful of exclusives and Game Pass. I'm fairly sure Returnal is the only game I'd miss replaying enough from Extra to buy after expiration.

I was like ‘dang I’ll miss the bloodstains and messages in souls games’ but I got a gamepass sub I’ll just get dark souls trilogy/Elden ring again lol. Don’t point out that that will cost as much as a ps+ sub for a year

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

This is the way. 35 dollars or whatever off of cdkeys or simply unsub whenev. Never pay for +extra or +premium. Absolutely insane price hike lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rinkles posted:

sure, but it's not like those aren't gonna get a proportional price bump

Yes but it's still discounted.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Watching physical media on the PS5 (which is the entire reason I paid extra for the model with an optical drive!) is a gigantic pain in the rear end. For PS3/PS4, using the controller as a makeshift remote worked quite well. This not the case for PS5!

The main problem is that the DualSense triggers are insanely sensitive. The slightest graze will send the fast forward or reverse into overdrive. That includes the acts of picking it up and putting it down. It's completely impossible to use, so I grudgingly bought the media remote.

This remote is a piece of poo poo, easily the worst remote control I have ever owned. It's designed completely around streaming with zero consideration of physical media at all. It's missing buttons for some important basic functions, like forward/backward chapter skip. To use those functions you have to go through a couple of menus. What in the actual gently caress?

Worst of all, it has to be manually turned off through the PS5 menu when you're done using it. You see, unlike nearly every other remote control ever made, the batteries drain constantly, even when you're not pressing any buttons. I didn't know this when I first started using it and so the batteries were completely dead in about two days.

I wish I knew what to do about this. All I want to do is watch some drat movies/TV shows. Does anyone have experience with a good third-party remote or know a way to make the controller less sensitive?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Do DualShock 4 controllers work with the media player? That would at least alleviate the oversensitive trigger issue.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nice to be able to turn off the triggers with the Edge.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

get lost

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

personally i am buying less avocado toast, maybe a latte only every other week, to afford ps plus essential

Decided to fire my second butler
Hard call but he wasn’t washing his hands every time he went to the bathroom so :sweep:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Radio Games Forum posted:

I prefer UT2K4 to UT - I have many hundreds of hours in that. It was the first FPS multiplayer game I played with the cool havoc physics engine so ragdolling bodies. Kids these days will not understand how much of a game changer that was.

UT2k3 And 2k4 used the Karma physics engine, you fool!!!

https://beyondunrealwiki.github.io/pages/karma.html

I remember this specifically, because as a kid I was blown away by the ragdolls in 2k3 and I had to look up how they did it. I think it was the first game I saw that had ragdoll bodies when characters died.

Also, I played that game at a max fps of probably 20 because my computer was way too underpowered to play it properly.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Volte posted:

Do DualShock 4 controllers work with the media player? That would at least alleviate the oversensitive trigger issue.

Can PS4 controllers even sync with the PS5?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

...! posted:

Yup! You can use them to play ps4 games.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Bugblatter posted:

So, just wanna say I made a post with similar comments about not being into the level design/setting/being bored with the gameplay when I was in Chapter 2, but the back half of the game turned my opinion around quite a bit. The tweaks to NG+ and NG++ made me enjoy the front half a bit more as well. It's still not anywhere on the level of the last ten years of From games for me, but it was very good.

Also, though I don't think the bosses are as random or unfair as you're finding them, it's worth noting that the Sea Spider is the last "wall" of a boss for a long time. The next really difficult fight isn't until the end of chapter 4, and it's a much more Souls-styled fight than any of the others.

So, I'd recommend just looking up a strategy to cheese the spider if you don't want to learn it because you'll probably enjoy what comes after a lot more.

Ah well thanks for this. That is encouraging to hear. I was starting to feel like it was just going to be two or three short levels between each boss for the rest of the game.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I sent in a PS5 to be repaired, does Sony actually tell you what they fixed? Aside from, "yeah we fixed something", enjoy!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

...! posted:

Yeah the PS5 is backwards compatible with them so you can use them for PS4 games. You'll have to plug them in via USB first to get them to handshake, then it's wireless as usual. We use them for Diablo 3 couch coop.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

veni veni veni posted:

The prologue helicopter is a bad boss tbh. I didn't really get stuck on it or think it was too hard. Took me about 6 tries I think. But it's just like, annoying and not very fun. Your starter AC is rear end and the thing flies out of bounds all the time, often just as you are about to land a laser sword hit. Keeping up with it with the camera is hard. I don't think I even got gud it just finally janked out enough that I was able to wreck it and barely took a single hit. Didn't feel like a skill check or anything to me just a bunk boss. I was still happy to beat it though. Might be fun to go back and clown on it with bazookas

I thought that it was garbage because I kept chasing the helicopter out of bounds, but then realized you're not supposed to strafe and chase at all, or chase it on the ground. You just jump and boost to the melee.

Kinda like sekiro I found for that fight strafing actually isn't the right thing to do.

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 31, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ACVI is godlike.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s really good, I hope is sells well enough that we don’t have to wait another decade for a new one

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Guillermus posted:

I hate Tim Sweeney and his obsession of removing the entire Unreal IP from the internet because of Fortnite so yeah gently caress him and gently caress Fortnite

I still got my GOG offline installers and no one can take them away from me

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If you purchased it before they were delisted you can still download them from both GOG and Steam... but anyone who never did has no legal way to play them.

I don't really understand the purpose of erasing the namesake of the engine that they built their company on. How did its availability hinder Fortnite or the engine? How does its absence help? It's so weird.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ymgve posted:

I still got my GOG offline installers and no one can take them away from me

And if you didn't, there are users that would gladly share their offline installers :wink:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yup! You can use them to play ps4 games.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah the PS5 is backwards compatible with them so you can use them for PS4 games. You'll have to plug them in via USB first to get them to handshake, then it's wireless as usual. We use them for Diablo 3 couch coop.

Hmm... I imagine that would solve the issue since the DualShock 4 doesn't have adaptive triggers. I'll try it out. Thanks!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’ll half solve the issue in that while the DS4 triggers are still very sensitive, it’s easier to put it down on the table without pressing them

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

oh no the cspamers are after me :rolleyes:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Cancelled auto-renewal on my sub. PS Plus (Essential) was always a rocky proposition for me because I only keep it to play online with friends, but we all have a PC too so we'll just take our gaming there. Good job, Sony

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That price hike is ridiculous. My sub runs out in November and that will be it. Only had essential anyway and the 1 or 2 games a year I played from it, I can just buy. as soon they are on essential you can get them for :10bux: anyway.

You'd hope this is a case where Sony loses tons of subscribers but consumers are lazy and will just keep their subscription or say nonsensical things like "yeah sure the discounted price will go up, but it is still discounted" and support a 20% price hike just like that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm one of the people that doesn't really give a poo poo about an extra two or three pints of beer being poured into my PlayStation sub annually.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
They'd have to lose a ~quarter of their subscribers to end up with less Plus revenue after the hikes.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Mr Hootington posted:

There really aren't any great area shooters anymore. Team fortress 2 I guess.

A video game is for life, not just for christmas. Had ut99 on the other night with the .ini fix so it could find servers and had a blast.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Of the 14 games I've completed this year so far, 10 have come from PS+, and there's a lot more waiting in the backlog, while the price hike definitely sucks I still feel ill get more than enough value out of it.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Turn your monitor on

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

JBP posted:

I'm one of the people that doesn't really give a poo poo about an extra two or three pints of beer being poured into my PlayStation sub annually.

don’t get me started on the price of beer

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Played mortal kombat last night. The 2nd mk1. Nit the 3rd mk1.

mk is good.

MORTAL KOMBAT

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

PacoPepe posted:

Of the 14 games I've completed this year so far, 10 have come from PS+, and there's a lot more waiting in the backlog, while the price hike definitely sucks I still feel ill get more than enough value out of it.

I've tried a lot of $10-50 games this year and enjoyed some and hated others. I'd say + has the psychological effect of making me decide not to purchase full price middling releases because I can just play them later. So on balance it probably curtails greater than its cost in impulse purchasing.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

JBP posted:

Me too. No one likes a price hike, but over the course of the year it's really not going to change my life. Yes, I know people like me let them get away with it, but I have bigger things to worry about. I would also bet the majority of those spluttering that they won't renew, will.

henpod fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 31, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My sub runs out at the end of November. Sony you have exactly 3 months to put some decent classics on there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Fartnite.

fork knife