Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
The TV guy from Labs who hasn't been on the channel much was one of the lead technical people from RTings. And he did a lot of on camera stuff for RTings. RTings is based in Montreal so they would have had to move cross country.

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/brandon-dickerson

Edit: The audio guy also came from RTings. https://ca.linkedin.com/in/samvafaei

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I remember people in the headphones world mentioning he'd hired former Harman people too.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
A quick couple of google searches got me:

Gary Key - Head of Labs - Asus, Sr Director of Marketing - AnandTech, Sr Editor
Tim Holowachuk (the guy who made the "better than GN and HuB" comment on the tour - doesn't appear to have a linkedin, his website says - AD in Mechanical Engineering, apprentice as an auto mechanic, president/chair/director of multiple non-profits
Jake Daynes - GameBench, Tech. Manager, R&D, and about 4 other positions with the company over 8 years there
Tynan Stack - BASc minor in Commerce and Physics - Mechanical Engineering - Then looks like he got into actual hands on engineering jobs

Those were just the people I recognized. I couldn't easily fine Dan's linkedin (like Twitter, can't search unless you have an account).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Your head of a technical department being a marketing guy is a bit hmm.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Koskun posted:

Those were just the people I recognized. I couldn't easily fine Dan's linkedin (like Twitter, can't search unless you have an account).

This looks to be him: https://ca.linkedin.com/in/daniel-b-6139411b9

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Am I the only one who thinks that thinking your company is better than their competitors is a pretty normal thing and not uncommon at all? His only fault was not being media savvy enough to know not to be recorded by guests while saying that.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

"I love where I work and by gosh we're the best folks around" is one thing, "our data is more accurate than another outlet" is a little more demonstrable

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

EngineerJoe posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that thinking your company is better than their competitors is a pretty normal thing and not uncommon at all? His only fault was not being media savvy enough to know not to be recorded by guests while saying that.

You can't say you're better and then cry about how you thought we were all on "Team Media" when someone calls you out for sloppy testing though.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

EngineerJoe posted:

I will put my hand up to admitting to this, but my company is quite literally *my* company and I'm fastidious and nitpicky as gently caress with everything I do (small business owner brain is a hell of a thing). I can't say I ever had a particularly strong affinity to any company I was previously employed by unless I was being paid to sell that company's positives.

I seem to remember the guy in question that kicked off this element of the shitstorm is some weirdo coffee dork extolling the virtues of roasting beans at a very precise temperature or whatever so I'm entirely open to the idea that he huffed way too many of his own farts to be objective and rational about anything beyond what his central nervous system controls. The video in question was an LTT one about the hobbies of their staff.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

EngineerJoe posted:

I don't think any of the companies I've ever worked at were better than our competitors. In fact, everytime I walk into a new place I look around and think "my god, what a shitshow."

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

To the places i worked in i'm just a number and HR was never my friend... once you accept that you just do the job and go home at the end of the day.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

That comment absolutely had the air of someone looking to score brownie points with their boss.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

would this whole thing have been avoided if he'd just said "some other youtubers" instead of calling out GN by name

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

no, steve said he'd been working on the story for months

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

VostokProgram posted:

would this whole thing have been avoided if he'd just said "some other youtubers" instead of calling out GN by name

I don't think so. Steve said they had been working on that video for months. The comment from coffee guy came 2-3 weeks before he put the video out (was during a tour of LTX, whichever weekend that was). I'd guess he added it to his video to further show how they are trying to put on big boy pants now, but get so many basic, and technical, things wrong over and over. If anything it was just an extra little touch of frosting on the cake.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

EngineerJoe posted:

If you're realistic and your job is good then you probably think there are some things you do better than your competitors and some things you do worse that you should improve on.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

DoombatINC posted:

"I love where I work and by gosh we're the best folks around" is one thing, "our data is more accurate than another outlet" is a little more demonstrable

Yeah if he had said something more vague like "I think we perform tests that are more closely aligned with what our viewers want" or whatever, or even "I think our data is more readable" then nobody would have cared, and when GN's video came out it would have probably led to a bunch of "well that's embarrassing for LMG. anyway," reactions. Instead, uh, whoops.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Koskun posted:

I don't think so. Steve said they had been working on that video for months. The comment from coffee guy came 2-3 weeks before he put the video out (was during a tour of LTX, whichever weekend that was). I'd guess he added it to his video to further show how they are trying to put on big boy pants now, but get so many basic, and technical, things wrong over and over. If anything it was just an extra little touch of frosting on the cake.

It may not have caused GN to make that video, but it was certainly a pretty important point.

That statement is even funnier in context given that LMG's own analysis pointed a poo poo ton of errors in their videos afterwards.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

njsykora posted:

Your head of a technical department being a marketing guy is a bit hmm.

Nah, look at the other job.

What happened starting about 10 years ago was as the best guys from the first-gen websites (anand, TR, PCPer, etc) started to get older and look at things like paying for their kids to go to college, the website money just wasn't it. So they all left and got hired into the marketing departments of major PC hardware companies.

Not because they were "marketing guys", but because they'd have expert advice on how to handle media and public relations from the other side, how to present internal benchmarks in the best way, how to avoid customer revolt, etc.

Possibly if he was still at Asus they wouldn't have fumbled so badly on the whole AM5 overvolting thing.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Funny how Linus whined about professional courtesy when his company is very obviously trying to overtake the entire modern tech YouTube space

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Rules for thee, but not for me.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Shugojin posted:

If you're realistic and your job is good then you probably think there are some things you do better than your competitors and some things you do worse that you should improve on.

If you're good and objective you very quickly work out where your employer is gouging and feel bad about it if you have any moral fibre.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUeZQ3pky-w

Steve spending months of work and $10k on arguing with YouTube commenters. Kinda relatable, tbh

"we actually have Friday benchmark parties where we stare at the GTA V benchmark loop run for 95 minutes"
is... he throwing shade on Linus again? lmao

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 31, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Linus: $500 to test something properly? gently caress that.

Steve: Motherfucker wants to throw a sample size comment at me? Buying $10k of CPUs because gently caress him.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

TheFluff posted:

"we actually have Friday benchmark parties where we stare at the GTA V benchmark loop run for 95 minutes"

I think he's making fun of himself and HUB for their reputations as being chart central.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

anakha posted:

Linus: $500 to test something properly? gently caress that.

Steve: Motherfucker wants to throw a sample size comment at me? Buying $10k of CPUs because gently caress him.

This is a kind of petty I feel deep, deep in my soul.

Just a primal, deep seated version of:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

mercedes has been backlighting their front logos like they're 2008 Apple

Here is the thing that I found most funny about that for awhile, I am sure they have fixed it because I don't know how you could sell an expensive car that isn't a Tesla that doesn't have a decent ADAS, but at least you could not have a ADAS optioned on a Mercedes because the forward looking radar was integrated into the logo and they didn't have a version that had both the lighting and the radar. But no light and no radar was the base and the logo light was an individual option on the base.

So, if you had the light that meant that you paid extra to have a worse optioned car.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think he was the subject of the most recent $5000 tech upgrade.

given the history it seems more like the tech upgrade is linus tricking amd / intel into paying his employees severance

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheFluff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUeZQ3pky-w

Steve spending months of work and $10k on arguing with YouTube commenters. Kinda relatable, tbh

free cpu if you spend $220 in GN merch, if these are still available

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Per the GN Discord they're all already sold out. Apparently they lasted all of 14 minutes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steve was incredibly optimistic in the video saying they might last 2 days.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
you guys will like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh7C-hpibr4

go into it blind

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Ignoring the merch you get with it, that's an okay 7600 price but I think the cheapest the 13600KF has ever been. I'm not surprised it went quickly. At that price I think the 13600KF is a no-brainer over AMD if you care even slightly about MT performance.

E: holy poo poo Tim from labs, the coffee guy that made the GN comment, is no longer on the team. He is off the webpage, his Twitter no longer has LTT in the bio, and his linkedin is updated to have it as a prior job.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 31, 2023

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Good after all that somebody needed to be fired to show a modicum of accountability.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Perplx posted:

Good after all that somebody needed to be fired to show a modicum of accountability.

they fired the one guy the simps are mad at

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Pretty hosed up if the comment is what they fired him for, because I'd be willing to bet anything that what he said was a direct parroting of what Linus told the lab he wants them to be.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Perplx posted:

They fired some guy who made an off-hand comment. It was misinformed but ultimately harmless.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

they fired the one guy the simps are mad at

They are? According to the sub, he is their special boy who did nothing wrong.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

We’re here to prove we’re not a terribly toxic work environment by firing a low level employee after we allowed him to represent our company on camera without any sort of editorial oversight which ultimately brought to attention larger systemic top-down issues that exist in our company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

They are? According to the sub, he is their special boy who did nothing wrong.

really? I figured they’d be mad at him for causing Linus all of this obviously undeserved drama