Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

No Mods No Masters posted:

I get that green lady was pissed and not being super rational in that conversation but I did enjoy her implication that you have to have fought in the war in order to be worthy of being in politics. Seems like a very good and democratic idea there

In the first episode the New Republic space cops are getting ready to detain Sabine on the governor's say-so simply because she didn't go to some ceremony. That smells a little authoritarian to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

XYZAB posted:

Hera giving me serious Marty Feldman vibes in that Mon Mothma scene like:

e: Mom Mothra :w00t:

I thought I was the only one that noticed her already-distracting neon contacts were going adrift.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I guess if I'm looking forward to anything at this point it's seeing what kind of twisted weirdo this ezra guy is

thought I was in the flash thread for a second

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Penitent posted:

In the first episode the New Republic space cops are getting ready to detain Sabine on the governor's say-so simply because she didn't go to some ceremony. That smells a little authoritarian to me.

Chewing it over now I'm appreciating more and more that hera might have actually articulated disney's first specific suggestion for an improvement to the republic there, and it was basically "only Troops should be allowed to vote and hold office"

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Chewing it over now I'm appreciating more and more that hera might have actually articulated disney's first specific suggestion for an improvement to the republic there, and it was basically "only Troops should be allowed to vote and hold office"

Yeah, I like that implication. It's also an overt call out to the idea that some of the ruling class just waited to see who was going to come out on top in the struggle between the Empire and the Rebellion.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I read that as Hera saying, “You have no goddam idea how the Imperials think and operate, so don’t tell me what’s what” rather going full Starship Troopers.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I think ezra will have fallen to the dark side and sabine is gonna have to fight him while ahsoka fights both those dark jedi at once.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Madurai posted:

I thought I was the only one that noticed her already-distracting neon contacts were going adrift.

There is no reason for her to be phosphorescent green and electric neon orange in this series. It’s such a weird style choice to paint her in a day-glo colour palette in live action when everyone else is so subdued. She (and her eyes in close-up shots) pop out way too much as a result.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Also I just realized Hera and Kanan are the progenitors of an entire slave race.

Jason/Jacen/Jeigh’sin:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

XYZAB posted:

Also I just realized Hera and Kanan are the progenitors of an entire slave race.

Jason/Jacen/Jeigh’sin:

They can go back to being eaten by Whangdoodles any time they want :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Marsupial Ape posted:

I read that as Hera saying, “You have no goddam idea how the Imperials think and operate, so don’t tell me what’s what” rather going full Starship Troopers.

I read it as,"You've got no convictions at all and you'd just as willingly serve in the Empire as the Republic so long as you got to keep your high station, gently caress you t:mad:t", rather than,"Only ARE TROOPS should be in power!"

Whether it was a fair accusation or not is another matter, as this guy's perspective really may just be a matter of,"This General can't accept the war is over and is trying to eat up resources we could be using for reconstruction to go on a wild goose chase". Of course though we have meta knowledge that this is not the case, this guy might just legit think she's a relic who can't make the shift to peacetime.

It being Star Wars, I'm fully expecting a reveal that he's a knowing and enthusiastic bad guy working with Morgan & Baylan etc though.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 31, 2023

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

I think ezra will have fallen to the dark side and sabine is gonna have to fight him while ahsoka fights both those dark jedi at once.

Could easily see this honestly. I've seen the theory that Marrok is Ezra, I don't feel like inquisitor quite fits, however I loved Mara Jade finding and fighting dark Kyle in Mysteries of the Sith to win him back to the light side, and would probably enjoy a similar sort of dynamic here. It's also an important theme in the throne room fight in ROTJ, but there's a bit more of a strained relationship there, with Luke never really knowing his father.

And then yeah let Ahsoka clown on some fools some more, it's her show to shine.

E: Also I don't take Hera as being the type to read up on much ideological theory or anything. She seems more interested in getting people places, and using her valour if she needs to get around the republic.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 31, 2023

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Yeah, it would have been a wiser decision to have Hera ask “have you ever lived under Imperial oppression?”. I won’t deny that it’s easy to read “did you fight in the war” as chuddy and jingoistic.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
She brought feels to military briefing, and no proof.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Yeah, it would have been a wiser decision to have Hera ask “have you ever lived under Imperial oppression?”. I won’t deny that it’s easy to read “did you fight in the war” as chuddy and jingoistic.

He was basically subtly provoking her into heated responses.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hera loves fascism now and jacen will grow up to be space Hitler just like the books

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Let the one who hasn't admitted that civilian rule is a fatally flawed concept in a heated gamer moment cast the first stone

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Hera could have said "We tracked a stolen super star destroyer hyperdrive to this system"

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Galaga Galaxian posted:

He was basically subtly provoking her into heated responses.

Is he the new Fey'la?

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
Ahsoka is fine. But Hera is completely miscast and poorly written.

In Rebels, Hera was the ball of anger and tenacity who excelled as a pilot for those reasons. And while it's perhaps not that important, she was a bit on the shorter side. But in Ahsoka, she's this tall, lanky good natured maternal figure who comes off as laid back and philosophical. Now sure, she could have matured since Rebels, and having a kid changes people, but nothing about the performance tracks with the character in Rebels. I can accept everyone else. Obviously, Ahsoka is consistent, Sabine is broadly accurate. But Hera is just wrong. And it's kind of detracts from the overall series. I even went back and watched some later Rebels episodes to compare, and it's simply not the same character.

Also, Saw was right.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 31, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

Hera could have said "We tracked a stolen super star destroyer hyperdrive to this system"

I mean... yeah! That's insane and absolutely the kind of thing they'd be sending people to investigate. "I put a tracker on it, it's there. Whatever their reason for having it, it's something we absolutely cannot let go uninvestigated/dealt with."

Edit: You could still achieve the largely same result by having them reply,"Good point, but sending a General or the entire fleet to deal with this is overkill, we'll dispatch several fighters under the command of a Captain" (maybe a Major/Colonel?) and then because of logistics it is going to take like 3 days for them to get there and Ahsoka and Sabine can't wait and have to go in alone anyway.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 31, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Love Rat posted:

Ahsoka is fine. But Hera is completely miscast and poorly written.

In Rebels, Hera was the ball of anger and tenacity who excelled as a pilot for those reasons. And while it's perhaps not that important, she was a bit on the shorter side. But in Ahsoka, she's this tall, lanky good natured maternal figure who comes off as laid back and philosophical. Now sure, she could have matured since Rebels, and having a kid changes people, but nothing about the performance tracks with the character in Rebels. I can accept everyone else. Obviously, Ahsoka is consistent, Sabine is broadly accurate. But Hera is just wrong. And it's kind of detracts from the overall series. I even went back and watched some later Rebels episodes to compare, and it's simply not the same character.

Also, Saw was right.

Hera is way more relaxed in the Alphabet Squadron books. Commanding a taskforce seems to have chilled her out

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I think it shows character development that being in a large organisation has taught her to rely on more people rather than just her immediate cell members with vague promises of other rebel cells helping sometimes too.

But then ahsoka arrives and associative regression kicks in and she goes and investigates that shipyard herself.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I hope she sends Zeb's space cops out there as backup

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The New Republic Space Cops are gonna run the Eye of Sion’s tabs.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Hera is way more relaxed in the Alphabet Squadron books. Commanding a taskforce seems to have chilled her out

Those books any good? For Star Wars novels, I mean.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Wonder what Hera's Dad thinks about the New Republic and if Ryloth had to become a member planet. lmao.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Marsupial Ape posted:

Those books any good? For Star Wars novels, I mean.

Not really, it's really angsty. But it covers a portion of the story nothing else does, Operation Cinder

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Spookydonut posted:

It would explain why Thrawn is running around still

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Wonder what Hera's Dad thinks about the New Republic and if Ryloth had to become a member planet. lmao.

If they're abiding by the canon established in the novels (which they might not be - Filoni's already contradicted major events from novels and comics a few times in his new shows), Ryloth didn't become a member of the New Republic, but briefly let the Resistance have a base there between The Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Spookydonut posted:

My guess would be, the other galaxy doesn't have the force. Ezra has been living his best life in a hut like Yoda.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stegosnaurlax posted:

My guess would be, the other galaxy doesn't have the force. Ezra has been living his best life in a hut like Yoda.

Ezra excitedly races out to do what weirdo swamp hermits love most: wrestle astro-droids. Only to discover his worst nightmare waiting for him. Chopper.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hera should have sent Chopper with them.

He gets poo poo done.

Also need Chopper along with Huyang to just mock Sabine training even more.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ahsoka: Tortures prisoners
Hera: Moderately sympathetic to fash adjacent 'service guarantees citizenship' ideas
Sabine: Lets down people at public memorial services for no particular reason (sickening)

I guess if I'm looking forward to anything at this point it's seeing what kind of twisted weirdo this ezra guy is

Spookydonut posted:

Honestly an Ezra that isn't necessarily a dark jedi or anything but has become Thrawn's buddy in the intervening decades due to having shared space adventures could be really interesting

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thrawn527 posted:

This was one part that bugged me about the episode. That one Senator, or whatever, saying, "But they've all sworn oaths of loyalty!" Oh, well I guess that settles it then, case closed. No one has ever lied.

Really dumb.

New Republic are liberals, OP.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

LinkesAuge posted:

Lucas probably had "American Revolutionaries" in mind as his "Rebels" but in a complex (modern) society it's obvious that it's a lot more likely to get the grey area we experienced with 20th century revolutions.

he had the viet cong in mind

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Megillah Gorilla posted:

New Republic are liberals, OP.

nah they are morons trying to bring back the republic without trying to fix any of the problems that caused the downfall of the old republic

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah, liberalism

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Surely if we reach out to the Imperials, in the spirit of cooperation and friendship, they'll return the sentiment and work with us for the betterment of all?

Meanwhile, the Empire is sending out their version of Mitch McConnell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Meanwhile, the Empire is sending out their version of Mitch McConnell.

https://i.imgur.com/B7Ail2B.mp4